Start by marking “The Flatshare” as Want to Read:
The Flatshare

The Flatshare

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  7,375 ratings  ·  1,717 reviews
Tiffy and Leon share a flat
Tiffy and Leon share a bed
Tiffy and Leon have never met…

Tiffy Moore needs a cheap flat, and fast. Leon Twomey works nights and needs cash. Their friends think they’re crazy, but it’s the perfect solution: Leon occupies the one-bed flat while Tiffy’s at work in the day, and she has the run of the place the rest of the time.

But with obsessive ex-b
Published April 23rd 2019 by Quercus (first published April 10th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Flatshare, please sign up.
Becky Don't let that deter you! There's a hilarious scene that seems from your question. The author says she based this on a real relationship that she had…moreDon't let that deter you! There's a hilarious scene that seems from your question. The author says she based this on a real relationship that she had with someone who worked the night shift. So don't worry, this book is based on reality. (less)

·  7,375 ratings  ·  1,717 reviews

Warda
And here you are, book, going on my favourites list.

This was a pleasant surprise in the best way possible. I knew that I would enjoy it, but I fell in love instead.

It’s a quiet, heartwarming story that follows Tiffy and Leon. Both have agreed on an unusual arrangement between themselves and are sharing not only a flat, but a bed together. But they don’t see each other. Tiffy has the apartment to herself in the evenings, and when she’s off to work, that’s when Leon comes home.

During this arran
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I loved this I loved this I loved this I LOVED THIS. Oh my god, I loved this.

TW: gaslighting, emotional abuse, stalking
Emer
now available in both hardback and eBook format in the UK / Ireland

Yasssssss!!! Oh I have been waiting for a book like this one to come along FOR YEARS! The Flatshare is exactly what I want from a romantic comedy/dramedy type book... It's got hugely likeable protagonists in the form of Tiffy and Leon, a highly original setup for the meeting of these two characters, a cast of interesting supporting characters and side storylines but most of all... It feels fresh!!! Hallelujah for that. I have fou
Paromjit
This is a charming and lovely piece of contemporary fiction from Beth O'Leary that takes an interesting premise of a one bedroom flat in London being shared by two occupants who never meet, each in residence, sleeping in the same bed, when the other is out or working. A more exploitative version of this is the overcrowded sharing of accommodation in the desperate working conditions experienced by trafficked, illegal and migrant workers. This is a more benign and comic take focusing on the dire f ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring
Three dull, unsatisfied stars gave my shiny place in the minority among the readers who gave so much stars to this one⭐⭐⭐
I mostly like chic-lit books especially written by Irish and British writers. I like Marian Keyes’ books which shouldn’t be defined as soft chic lit ones because of the characters’ heavy baggages and emotional problems ( alcoholism, denial the dead of loved ones, abuse victims)
On this book our heroine Tiffi suffers from emotional abuse and with flashbacks of her relationship s
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Adorable, Left Me Feeling Content Stars for Beth O'Leary's The Flatshare

This book worked its way into my heart with its:
~ slow burn romance (and I'm usually not a slow burn fan!)
~ adorable post-it notes (I LOVED reading the back & forth notes!)
~ fierce, quirky & hilariously inappropriate friends (everyone needs a Tribe like this in their life!)
~ subtle yet frank look at emotional/psychological abuse (totally unexpected but handled appropriately for this type of read)

There is unex
Azrah
It’s weird how easily you can get to know someone from the traces they leave behind.

The best kinds of books are those that surprise you with their perfection. I was expecting this to be a cutesy light hearted read. It was and it wasn't. The characters were more complex than I had anticipated and so was the plot.

Tiffy is desperate for a place to live and Leon is short on cash. They come to an odd arrangement. They will share not only a flat but the same bed. Leon has the flat for the day until
preoccupiedbybooks
This book and I had a second chance love affair!

At first I didn't like the way that one of the main characters spoke, without many pronouns, like he was speaking in note form, rather than in full sentences?

I very nearly gave up on it!

But then I wouldn't have gotten to know Tiffany, Rachel, Gerty, Mo, Leon and, Richie.

Then I wouldn't have witnessed Tiffy's amazing character Arc.

I wouldn't have seen all the cute little notes, and seen these really different people get to know, each other.

Then I w
The Flatshare incorporates elements of adult romance, family/relationship drama, and brief domestic suspense all under a fairly original and likable umbrella. I enjoyed the epistolary components between 2 roommates that have never met and I liked the premise overall (3 stars).

My favorite quote:
N/A
Sara
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this whilst on a plane and i must say its the perfect travel read as its so sweet and heart warming!

I loved Tiffy and Leon as individuals, and thought they were so adorable as a couple!

Would recommend.
Umut Reviews
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's cut it short if you don't want to read the whole review. If you like to read contemporary feel good books that'll cheer you up, chick-lits, light spring/summer reads, you MUST read this book. It's a very good example of its kind that I haven't seen in a long time as a Sophie Kinsella fan.
On the cover it says the new Jojo Moyes. As far as I'm concerned, this is much better! And, it's not a depressive book under the shelter of its umbrella.

When I opened the book and started to read about T
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews

I often lament that romance novels start feeling the same to me after reading this genre for so many years. It’s hard for me to distinguish the many novels I read unless they are utterly unique.

I’m happy to say, that Beth O’Learly did what I wish many other authors would do, she wrote a debut novel that was quirky, unique and had a most engaging plot. The Flatshare was a feel-good novel that was hard to forget. Memorable from begging to end, thanks to fabulous, vibrant and distinctive c
Suzanne
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just a few hours ago, I returned this book to my public library. I did not want to return it! It was a lovely book. If I did not own more than 500 books I would buy it so I could have it on my shelf.

I love quirky characters in my reading, and that, Tiffy was. I also love when the names chosen in books are lovely names. Her name really suited her. Tiffy is a lovely young woman, but she has not met a nice man. A topical subject which I read about often, is gas lighting. It disturbs me that dating
EmBibliophile
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
3.5

‘Tiffy & Leon share a flat. Tiffy & Leon share a bed. Tiffy & Leon have never met.’

That was such a unique adorable book.

To be honest, I almost gave up on it. I couldn’t get over how annoying the chapters in Leon’s POV were written. I was so frustrated, and couldn’t see the point in it. But then I see hope in the book and I decided to keep going.

Also because the cover is gorgeous! It would be a shame to give up on a book with a cover like that.

Tiffy and Leon have an unusual agreem
Karima chermiti

Let’s just start this review by Thanking Warda, whom I love with all my heart for recommending this wonderful story for me. I don’t think I would’ve stumbled on it if it weren’t for you.

*******************************

Leon needs someone to share the rent with; Tiffy needs somewhere to live after breaking up with her boyfriend. Leon will use the flat in the day after working all night long, Tiffy will live there the rest of the time and that way their problems are solved and they don’t even hav
Kim
This is such a cute and fluffy chicklit and I have no idea why it took me so long to read the whole thing.

The only thing I slightly disliked was the name Tiffy.
Miriam Smith
The highlight of any book for me, is when I finish reading it and all I want to do is start reading it all over again. "The Flatshare" by Beth O'Leary was one of the those books. I fell head over heels in love with the characters Tiffy and Leon and found their story truly adorable.
"Tiffy and Leon share a flat. Tiffy and Leon share a bed. Tiffy and Leon have never met....... Tiffy Moore needs a cheap flat, and fast. Leon Twomey works nights and needs cash. Their friends think they're crazy, but i
☽ TheBibliotheque
"Eventually she leans forward and kisses me slowly, tasting of icing.
Tiffy: I'll be worth the wait. You'll see.
As if I'd ever doubted it."

This will be short and quick. Sometimes, when I stumble upon a book I have this strong and powerful certainty that this is a book for me. That this book I just read the synopsis has everything I need to make me fall in love with it and that I will.

That's exactly what happened with The Flatshare. I know I am writing this review long after I finished it, and eve
Femke (booksfemme)
I FEEL SO HAPPY AFTER FINISHING THIS!!!! THIS BOOK IS SO CUTE AHHHHH!!!!!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This book about two people who share a flat and a bed but haven't met yet is SUCH fun. Definitely one to slip into your beach bags this summer. It has other things I like, like alternating perspectives and quirky awkward characters.

I had a copy from Flatiron (Macmillan) through edelweiss and it came out May 28.
Trish at Between My Lines
I can’t remember the last time I gave a romance book 5 stars. They just don’t seem to fully do it for me anymore. Well until The Flatshare came along and stole my jaded heart.

I’ve all the love for

* the unique blurb. It’s genius!
* the adorable characters that I immediately fell in love with
* the quirky friends
* all the post-it notes, from funny to tender, I was smitten with them
* the chemistry and the lack of stupid misunderstanding which drives me crazy in most romance books.

Beth O’Leary...you
Shirley ♡
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
[3.5⭐]

I really, really liked this book. I’m not going to lie, at first I wanted to DNF so bad, I even got bored while reading. I definitely didn’t like the way the conversations were written, like in script format?? If you read it, you know what I mean.

Apart from that, I had a great time reading this book. I fell in love with the characters and the story.

And, can we talk about the fact that Tiffy was six feet tall??? Finally a character with whom I can relate to 😫🖤.
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
I just adored this book. Cute and fluffy love story about two amazing characters with their collection of equally amazing friends and family.

Fantastic book, especially for a debut author! Cannot wait to see what else she writes.

Katie Lumsden
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this one. Funny, complex, heart-warming, deep and entirely lovely. A real page turner too - would highly recommend!
Jaimie
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, 2019
Cute, cute, cute. I'm gonna go out now and fall in love via post-it notes. Such a unique and adorable premise for a romance. I rooted for Tiffy and Leon hard.

The characters are so well fleshed-out, especially Leon's brother Richie. He is in prison for a crime he did not commit. Many a romance novel uses a similar plot point dropped into the story with little development and lacking appropriate weight, used solely as tragic back story for one of our leads. This is NOT the case in The Flatshare.
ALPHAreader
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My first read of 2019 and it’s a favourite! Beth O'Leary’s 'The Flatshare' was AMAZING - I inhaled it in two days, and then went back for a re-read straight away.

"Tiffy & Leon share a flat. Tiffy & Leon share a bed. Tiffy & Leon have never met."

It's a clever romantic premise that plays out in duelling-narrative chapters, when our protagonists initially communicate via Post-It notes left around the house, and by picking up on one another's moods, days, and personal battles via the so
Sylvie
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, rom-com
3.85/5 stars.

The first time I read the summary of this book it sounded like K-drama and that was enough reason for me to read.
A lot of the concepts in The Flatshare reminded me of 'Don't You Forget About Me' by Mhairi McFarlane which I read not so long ago (i.e. both MC's have crazy ex-boyfriends).
I loved the first half of the book, I honestly thought it would be an easy 5 stars read for me, how the main characters interacted with each other via post-it notes and all the excitement of them not
Paulette
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This is a debut novel from Beth O’Leary I loved the quirkiness of the story line and the romance… not my usual genre. I was pleasantly surprised…. Beth, I think you might start a trend now….

I loved the premise of the book, two strangers sharing a one bedroom flat in central London…. Leon is struggling to make ends meet, his younger brother Richie in in jail framed for robbery, he needs to pay the lawyer for his upcoming appeal. Leon has an idea, Tiffy answers Leon’s ad looking for someone to sha
Evie Braithwaite
This was a charming love story about two people strapped for cash in London, navigating the demands of a job, rent and relationships, who meet under the most peculiar of arrangements. The Flatshare includes likeable characters, publishing industry jokes, and a touching exploration of the impact of emotionally abusive relationships. O’Leary’s writing was so charismatic and readable that I risked a car nearly knocking me over when attempting the art of reading-while-walking. It was worth it.

"Tiffy
Stacey (prettybooks)
The Flatshare was technically one of my favourite books of 2018, despite being published this year!

Tiffy Moore needs a room. Leon Twomey needs extra money. The solution to their problems? To share a bed, of course... You've heard about flatsharing, but bed sharing? It may sound unusual, but in today's London, with sky-high rents and extortionate house prices, it probably does exist. Tiffy and Leon are never in their flat at the same time due to different work hours, and so have never actually sp

• The Singalong Society for Singletons
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • Star-Crossed
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • I Wanna Be Where You Are
  • Passion on Park Avenue (Central Park Pact, #1)
  • Emma Ever After
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • The Marriage Clock
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • The Woolly Hat Knitting Club
  • The Plumberry School of Comfort Food
  • Fix Her Up
  • The Passengers
  • Serious Moonlight
Beth studied English at university before going into children’s publishing. She lives as close to the countryside as she can get while still being within reach of London, and wrote her first novel, The Flatshare, on her train journey to and from work.
You’ll usually find her curled up with a book, a cup of tea, and several woolly jumpers (whatever the weather).
“I stop dead in my tracks. Someone behind me walks into me and swears (stopping abruptly in central London is a heinous crime, and immediately gives the people around you permission to kick you).” 7 likes
“We're so overdressed for a daytime event about crochet.” 4 likes