Start by marking “Marina” as Want to Read:
Marina

Read Book* *Different edition

Marina

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  43,070 ratings  ·  3,439 reviews
Quince años mas tarde, la memoria de aquel dia ha vuelto a mi. He visto a aquel muchacho vagando entre las brumas de la estacion de Francia y el nombre de Marina se ha encendido de nuevo como una herida fresca. Todos tenemos un secreto encerrado bajo llave en el atico del alma. este es el mio.

En la Barcelona de 1980 Oscar Drai suena despierto, deslumbrado por los placeres
Published 1999 by Edebe

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldRebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
Modern Gothic
521 books — 1,309 voters
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónDon Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraThe Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz ZafónFor Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest HemingwayLa catedral del mar by Ildefonso Falcones
Spain
412 books — 324 voters

More lists with this book...

·  43,070 ratings  ·  3,439 reviews

Start your review of Marina
Nicholas Talty
My fucking heart right now. I don't even know if I'd recommend this to someone in fear that I would destroy all of their emotions.

Edit March 2016: Ironically, I gave away my own copy to my love. I'm not sure if that's romantic or sadistic.
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
Some authors just have IT.

“The territory of humans is life. Death does not belong to us.”

This fine piece of well-crafted, chilling literature is set in Barcelona on the cusp of the 1980s, -although the magical, timeless quality also makes the story feel like it could be taking place at any time period -, and features many of the trappings of a gothic tale: doomed love, monstrous creatures, scientific experiments gone awry and, of course, trips through the sewers.

The book is written from Oscar
Lavinia
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, fiction
Shorter but definitely darker than The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game. I wish someone made an animation based on the book, it has tons of potential. Or maybe a film, since most of the places described are real, but I'd rather see animated creepy creatures than horror-like ones.
Anyway, a fan of the novel made this video of the places in Barcelona mentioned in the book. I totally love the song and have no idea who sings it. I might just google a bit. Apparently it's Sia's My Love.

Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

In the late 1970s Barcelona was a mirage of avenues and winding alleys where one could easily travel thirty or forty years into the past by just stepping into the foyer of a grand old building or walking into a cafe. Time and memory, history and fiction merged in the enchanted city like watercolours in the rain. It was there, in the lingering echo of the streets that no longer exist, that cathedrals and age-old palaces created the tapestry into which this story would be woven.

Once more, Carlos
Blair
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase.

Marina is the last of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's existing books to be translated into English, following the first three books of the Barcelona quartet (for adult readers), and the Niebla trilogy (for teenagers). Published in Spanish in 1999 - two years before the worldwide bestseller The Shadow of the Wind - it is the final young adult novel written by the author, and its transitional nature is evident in the style. It reads as a lot more 'grown-up' tha
Marina Leonhart
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just find this a brilliant book, and its not only because it has the most awesome name like, ever (my name lol) but I think it has a beautiful mixture of many genres, like it has a small dose of romance, sci-fi, mystery, thriller, drama that in a whole make it a book completely delicious and easy to read.

The fact that it can mix sci-fi, with the teenage romance and give it all a total mystery hunter style is priceless. Plus, each of the stories that develop tangled around the other has a one a
Olivera
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, library
This is the second book by Zafon that I've read (the first one being The Prince of Mist), and this time around it hit my taste a bit better. There is this magic happening in the way the author writes Barcelona, which I loved very much. Now I'm just longing for more books with European settings.

Anyways, the ending is what made this book for me. While the twist wasn't so unexpected, it did still hit me very hard and I have a feeling that it will stick with me for a while.

Marina is a gothic story
TL
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
Pure magic once again:)

My Original review here

I'll add to this with just my thoughts on the narrator here... he did a wonderful job narrating the story and bringing everyone to life. Each voice was distinctive and fit the character beautifully... I was never once jarred out of the story, one mark of a good narrator.

You have to have a certain passion and understanding of the material when you narrate an audiobook, otherwise it feels forced and flat.. and Daniel Weyman has both :).

Would definite
Asghar Abbas
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Okay, where do I stand on this ? Wait, lemme get my breath back. Wow. What youthful emotions permeated in this book, raw. This was an excellent novel, clearly a beloved of the author's. It wasn't epic on Shadow of the Wind's scale, but still without much comparing them, it's a fine early work with enough unique wordlings in it to pack quite a few punches, whew.

I don't think this was a Gothic tale per se, but still couple of times during the night it definitely crept me out, had to finish it dur
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
15-year-old Óscar disappears in May 1980 from his boarding school in Barcelona. During seven days and seven nights, no one knows where he is...

Marina is the fourth book I have read by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (not counting The Rose of Fire since it’s a short story) and I think it’s probably the best I have read of him. This book has nothing to do with The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. But I don’t mind that, it's refreshing to read something different. The story takes place in Barcelona just like
TL
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
4.5 actually, :) My favorite of these sets of books.. tied with 'watcher in the shadows'..Oscar and Marina are two of my favorite MCs of his.

*minor spoilers abound*
---

A bit darker than the previous installments with some genuinely disturbing/horrifying moments, 'Marina' is an enchanting tale. Wonderfully tragic, suspenseful... bound with some romance as well.

Its always bittersweet for me in a way to finish a Carlos Ruiz Zafon tale... I love going on the journey and seeing what happens to everyon
Owlseyes

QUOTES:

"Marina és un dels meus favorits"..."Marina es possiblement la més indefinible i difícil de categoritzar de las novel-les que he escrit".
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Barcelona, Juny del 2008"
~~~~
"Marina is one of my favorites;..it's possibly the most undefinable and hardest to categorize of the novels I have written"
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Barcelona, June of 2008
~~

Once upon a time, in the 1970's, in Barcelona, a fifteen year old boy "disappeared" for seven days and nights. Oscar Drai was a pupil in
Pamela  (Here to Read Books and Chew Gum)
For a book that has been described as the best Zafon since 'The Shadow of the Wind' there are simply no words to describe what a consummate disappointment the experience of reading 'Marina' was. It was a book with so much potential that simply went nowhere, with two dimensional characters while being completely derivative of much greater works. It was completely unoriginal and such a disappointment to read.

I am always wary with translated books, as they do seem to lose a lot in the method of tra
Gabrielle
Carlos, why do you do this to my feels?!

If I had read this book when I was the age of it's intented audience (13 to 17), I would probably have loved it even more. Now I can see that he uses some tropes that I am already familiar with because of my adoration for "Shadow of the Wind" and I am a bit disenchanted with his female characters, but you know what? I don't care! This book still crushed me and I still got lost in his labyrinthian descriptions of Barcelona, in his abandonned mansions and ta
Zuzanna
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 *

15 year old me is balling her eyes out
Al
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Devastating. All of life we run from death and the idea of it but when we are forced to face the grief of loss we realise we knew all along how it feels. At least I did.
This book is melancholic and filled me with nostalgia for Barcelona, for lost love, for times past and oddly for opera. I believe this is the last YA book the author wrote and throughout there is a sense of journey into adulthood, of saying goodbye. Ah, life! The things we do to one another.
Truly unique. I miss it already.
Viv JM
Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "Marina" has something for everyone. It's part gothic horror, part mystery, part historical fiction, part love story. It will make you shudder and make you cry (or at least, it did me!) The atmosphere is brilliantly maintained throughout, and the descriptions are often breathtaking.

I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Daniel Weyman, and would recommend that format as I thought he did a great job.
Yodamom
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic audiobook, the narration was wonderful. The story was gothic suspense horror, not too scary, just right. I look forward to reading more form this author.
Sheila
2 stars--meh.

I think this is a case of "it's not you, it's me." This book HAS all the things I usually like--horror elements, a truly creepy villain, and lots of gothic trappings.

However, it didn't really hold my attention. There was lots of running--characters constantly fleeing one horror or another--with little sense to it, as well as too many minor characters. Generally, I was just confused. Even though it's a short book, it felt long.

I think part of the problem was I listened on audio, and
Amanda
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible

Zafon does atmosphere better than just about anyone. He returns to Barcelona for this creepy gothic mystery. I listened to the audio which had fantastic narration.
Damian Dubois
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I must say that I received a pleasant surprise just last week when scanning the shelves at my local book store my eyes alighted on a rather striking cover of a book titled Marina (I have always loved that name), a new novella by the wonderful Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Only, it's not new at all. First published in 1999, it has now only just been translated and published in English, no doubt on the back of his international best seller, The Shadow of the Wind. Needless to say I snatched up that book quic ...more
Dale Harcombe
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover of this book is enough of a reason to want to read it. I adored the cover. As to the book itself, it is hard to describe. Much of the writing is extremely beautiful. It feels like reading poetry as the writing is so rich in imagery. The depiction of Marina’s lips touching Oscar’s ear is described as ‘tingling on the nape of my neck, like a centipede dancing the bossa nova.’ Or this quote from Quim Salvat, who in earlier times had been a mentor to Marina’s artist father, ‘Beauty is a b ...more
Hillary
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish-lit

Incredible. It took my breath away. I don't know why I waited this long to read it.
The mystery was so fascinating I couldn't stop reading, and the friendship/something more between Marina and Óscar was lovely and also heartbreaking. I will miss these characters, and also Germán who was so sweet.
Somehow, I fell deeply in love with Óscar and his goofiness and cuteness. He would be an awesome husband. I just love him so much.
Rachel Bea
Macabre, but sweet. Mysterious, a bit horrific, a bit romantic, and bittersweet. I would like to read it again, but this time from its pages, since I listened to the audiobook.

Also, I want to go to Barcelona now...
Sebastien Castell
Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón is a beautifully written gothic tale that I found myself struggling to enjoy for reasons I could only really understand once I reached the conclusion. Set in 1980 Barcelona, the novel transports the reader to a series of semi-hidden locations within the city as fifteen year old Oscar and the enigmatic and lovely Marina unravel a mystery that is by turns fantastical and horrific. If all that sounds great, well, it is, and yet something just didn't work for me about the ...more
Clarissa Bowen
This was a wonderful book! Full of creepy, Gothic imagery, Marina is beautifully written with an intricate yet also heartfelt plot line that unravels at just the right pace. This is my first time reading anything by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and I am blown away by his skill at crafting a story.

This would make for a fantastic movie. Reminded a lot of Guillermo del Toro, actually.
ben
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Could be a case of it's not you, it's me.
This book's a slow burn, mystery and YA - all aspects I'm not a big fan of. That said, I am a fan of dark fantasy - which this book did reasonably well. Overall, it was just too slow and too much of a mystery to keep me interested.
Vavita
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely! Perfect coming of age book!
Amazing descriptions of Barcelona as usual. I can see the differences against his first book which I read a month ago. He really developed himself as a writer.
Μαρία Αλεξοπούλου
not as good as shadow of the wind!
but i must admit that zafon make us feel alive with his imagination and his vivid descriptions!

Jack
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 - An amazing read overall!

Thoughts:
1. The characterisation is so complex; not only are the protagonists Oscar and Marina developed in such intricate and unique ways, but the side characters each have complex back stories too. I really appreciated knowing about them in such depth and it really helped to piece together some of the mystery, and in such a short novel, I was able to connect with them all. I loved the friendship between Oscar and Marina in particular, and found Germán an incredib
Kerr for An Adven...: Marina 1 4 Mar 17, 2020 08:53AM
Smuggler's Cove Marina 1 5 Mar 16, 2018 08:21AM
Play Book Tag: Marina - 4 stars 4 27 Apr 20, 2017 03:27AM
Play Book Tag: Marina, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - 4.5 stars 5 22 Jan 18, 2017 12:07PM
Around the Year i...: Marina, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 1 18 Oct 02, 2016 04:36PM

• Tierra
  • La sombra del viento de Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Guía de lectura): Resumen y análisis completo
  • La nena (Elena Blanco, #3)
  • Los renglones torcidos de Dios
  • El día que se perdió la cordura
  • La ridícula idea de no volver a verte
  • Salvar el fuego
  • Las lágrimas de Shiva
  • Patria
  • La resistencia (Memorias de Idhún, #1)
  • La catedral del mar (La catedral del mar, #1)
  • Por miedo a un delator: EL ORO
  • El enigma de la habitación 622
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • La Red Púrpura (Elena Blanco, #2)
  • El jardín del mar
  • Invisible
  • El día que se perdió el amor
Carlos Ruiz Zafón was a Spanish novelist. Born in Barcelona in 1964, he lived in Los Ángeles, United States, since 1994, and worked as a scriptwriter aside from writing novels.

His first novel, El príncipe de la niebla (The Prince of Mist, 1993), earned the Edebé literary prize for young adult fiction. He is also the author of three more young-adult novels, El palacio de la medianoche (1994), Las l