Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Marina” as Want to Read:
Marina
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Read Book* *Different edition

Marina

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  32,808 ratings  ·  2,522 reviews
Quince años mas tarde, la memoria de aquel dia ha vuelto a mi. He visto a aquel muchacho vagando entre las brumas de la estacion de Francia y el nombre de Marina se ha encendido de nuevo como una herida fresca. Todos tenemos un secreto encerrado bajo llave en el atico del alma. este es el mio.

En la Barcelona de 1980 Oscar Drai suena despierto, deslumbrado por los placeres
...more
Paperback, 238 pages
Published 1999 by Edebe
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
4.01  · 
Rating details
 ·  32,808 ratings  ·  2,522 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
Ana O
We are doomed to remember what never really happened.

couple

If Stephen King and Nicholas Sparks had a lovechild, it would be this book. I've never read anything like this before. Marina is a near-perfect combination of horror, mystery, great storytelling and love. It's a macabre delight.

I do not wish to spoil this experience for anyone by revealing too much of its plot. If you want to know who's crazy or not here, you'll have to find out by yourselves.

“My friend Oscar is one of those princes witho
...more
Nicholas Talty
My fucking heart right now. I don't even know if I'd recommend this to someone in fear that I would destroy all of their emotions.

Edit March 2016: Ironically, I gave away my own copy to my love. I'm not sure if that's romantic or sadistic.
Franco  Santos
Otro buen libro de Zafón, que se lee en una sentada de lo adictivo que es. Personajes correctamente desarrollados y un inicio arrollador que, para mi lamento, se fue desinflando a medida que la trama avanzaba, hasta llegar a un punto un tanto delirante.
❄️Nani❄️
Some authors just have IT.

“The territory of humans is life. Death does not belong to us.”

This fine piece of well-crafted, chilling literature is set in Barcelona on the cusp of the 1980s, -although the magical, timeless quality also makes the story feel like it could be taking place at any time period -, and features many of the trappings of a gothic tale: doomed love, monstrous creatures, scientific experiments gone awry and, of course, trips through the sewers.

The book is written from Oscar
...more
Antonio
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todas las personas sobre el planeta
Recommended to Antonio by: Denisse
Otra noche sin dormir, pero la mejores cosas de la vida merecen la falta de sueño, otra historia llena de sorpresas, de momentos dulces, de momentos amargos, de risa y llanto, y de misterio; y como cada una de la buenas historias que se han contado desde el inicio de los tiempos, comienza y termina con una chica, y el nombre de esa chica es Marina...



y el chico que se enamora perdidamente de ella es Oscar, juntos vivirán una aventura romántica, pero que está muy lejos de ser solo eso. No solo leí
...more
María
Después de tanto tiempo leyendo libros que me dejaban indiferente o que no me gustaban nada, leer este ha sido lo mejor que he podido hacer. Aún no entiendo por qué no he leído antes este libro. No debería haberlo dejado en lista de pendientes durante tanto tiempo.
Una de las cosas que más me han gustado es la forma de escribir de Carlos Ruiz Zafón. De este autor sólo había leído la sombra del viento y hace ya bastantes años, por lo que no me acordaba de su manera de escribir.
La historia me ha gu
...more
- Fey - Es
En lo que va del 2016 he leído mas de 80 libros y hasta la fecha Marina es el 1ero que me hace llorar, y eso ya es decir mucho.

description
Zafón, lo has hecho de nuevo...
"—El territorio de los seres humanos es la vida —dijo el doctor—. La muerte no nos pertenece."

Para definir la pluma de Zafón me gusta decir que es como una telaraña, capa por capa te va atrapando hasta que te lleva a un punto sin retorno... Los personajes que crea se meten bajo tu piel y te calan hasta los huesos, haciéndolos por desgra
...more
Lavinia
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, fiction
Shorter but definitely darker than The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game. I wish someone made an animation based on the book, it has tons of potential. Or maybe a film, since most of the places described are real, but I'd rather see animated creepy creatures than horror-like ones.
Anyway, a fan of the novel made this video of the places in Barcelona mentioned in the book. I totally love the song and have no idea who sings it. I might just google a bit. Apparently it's Sia's My Love.

Carmo
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espanha, bib-p
Cinco estrelas bem redondas para Marina, para Óscar e para toda a galeria de personagens deste livro. E sobretudo, cinco estrelas - ou uma constelação inteira - para o seu criador: Carlos Ruiz Zafón o autor que me deixa sempre a suspirar por mais.
Não aprendi nada de substancial com este livro, não me despertou a veia filosófica, não precisei de ir ao dicionário uma única vez para desvendar o seu vocabulário, nem precisei de queimar os (poucos) neurónios que me restam para entender o sentido da
...more
Denisse
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-ya-books
*suspira y se echa a llorar*

Definitivamente un libro mucho mas tenebroso y oscuro que cualquier otra cosa que haya leído de Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Con un misterio sobrenatural y una intriga impecables. Con unos personajes simples y adorables y una moraleja sencilla.

"El territorio de los seres humanos es la vida. La muerte no nos pertenece"

"Somos frágiles. Criaturas pasajeras. Cuanto queda de nosotros son nuestras acciones, el bien o el mal que hacemos a nuestros semejantes"


Siempre he pensado que
...more
Azumi
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yo iba a un colegio de la Av. Tibidabo en Barcelona y este libro me ha hecho recordar esas torres tan enormes y señoriales, que no sabías si vivía alguien o estaban abandonadas y de las cuales me dedicaba yo a imaginar historias sobre sus dueños. Cualquiera de esas torres podía haber sido la casa de Germán y Marina, o de Mijail y mi colegio hubiese quedado perfectamente bien como el internado de Oscar.

Aunque he encontrado la parte fantástica demasiado fantástica e increible, la historia me ha pa
...more
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

In the late 1970s Barcelona was a mirage of avenues and winding alleys where one could easily travel thirty or forty years into the past by just stepping into the foyer of a grand old building or walking into a cafe. Time and memory, history and fiction merged in the enchanted city like watercolours in the rain. It was there, in the lingering echo of the streets that no longer exist, that cathedrals and age-old palaces created the tapestry into which this story would be woven.

Once more, Carlos
...more
Erika
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Soffro in maniera indecente, scrivere una recensione è impensabile.
Esmeralda Verdú
Otro de libro que devoré en un mismo día. Esta vez porque de verdad me atrapó con sus geniales personajes, su exquisita narración y por sus inigualable ambientación. No estoy muy segura de lo que esperaba encontrarme en esta lectura, pero aun habiendo sido completamente diferente a lo que pensaba, ha sido toda una delicia de libro y una verdadera grata sorpresa. No sé por qué pensaba que este libro iba a ser más romántico que otra cosa. Pero para nada. Es sobre todo de misterio, de uno muy bien ...more
Olivera
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This is the second book by Zafon that I've read (the first one being The Prince of Mist), and this time around it hit my taste a bit better. There is this magic happening in the way the author writes Barcelona, which I loved very much. Now I'm just longing for more books with European settings.

Anyways, the ending is what made this book for me. While the twist wasn't so unexpected, it did still hit me very hard and I have a feeling that it will stick with me for a while.

Marina is a gothic story
...more
Marina Leonhart
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just find this a brilliant book, and its not only because it has the most awesome name like, ever (my name lol) but I think it has a beautiful mixture of many genres, like it has a small dose of romance, sci-fi, mystery, thriller, drama that in a whole make it a book completely delicious and easy to read.

The fact that it can mix sci-fi, with the teenage romance and give it all a total mystery hunter style is priceless. Plus, each of the stories that develop tangled around the other has a one a
...more
TL
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
Pure magic once again:)

My Original review here

I'll add to this with just my thoughts on the narrator here... he did a wonderful job narrating the story and bringing everyone to life. Each voice was distinctive and fit the character beautifully... I was never once jarred out of the story, one mark of a good narrator.

You have to have a certain passion and understanding of the material when you narrate an audiobook, otherwise it feels forced and flat.. and Daniel Weyman has both :).

Would definite
...more
Blair
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase.

Marina is the last of Carlos Ruiz Zafón's existing books to be translated into English, following the first three books of the Barcelona quartet (for adult readers), and the Niebla trilogy (for teenagers). Published in Spanish in 1999 - two years before the worldwide bestseller The Shadow of the Wind - it is the final young adult novel written by the author, and its transitional nature is evident in the style. It reads as a lot more 'grown-up' tha
...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
15-year-old Óscar disappears in May 1980 from his boarding school in Barcelona. During seven days and seven nights, no one knows where he is...

Marina is the fourth book I have read by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (not counting The Rose of Fire since it’s a short story) and I think it’s probably the best I have read of him. This book has nothing to do with The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. But I don’t mind that, it's refreshing to read something different. The story takes place in Barcelona just like
...more
Mariel Zani Begoña
Todavía me arden los ojos de llorar.

Este libro no sólo es el que más me ha dado miedo en toda mi vida sino que, sin dudas, es el final que más me hizo llorar en toda mi vida. Y no estoy hablando de unas lagrimillas sino de llorar con profundo dolor.

El talento de este tipo es increíble. Este libro me hizo sentir muchas cosas y terminó por estrujarme el corazón y tirarlo a un tacho de basura. Literalmente me sentía como Joey (The friends) con deseos profundos de meterlo adentro del freezer, por e
...more
Un té con Ceres
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Cuándo lees tantas buenas opiniones de un libro las expectativas son demasiado altas y luego te encuentras con un libro entretenido pero con una parte irreal que hace que no llegue a cumplir con lo que esperabas de él. Lectura ágil, historia entretenida, personajes bien definidos, intriga,... Lo recomiendo pero sin esperar un novelón. En mi humilde opinión, sobrevalorado.
Ana ❥
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fiquei fã!
Este livro representa exatamente o meu estilo literário. Adorei, não descansei enquanto não o acabei. Em menos de 24h foi devorado.
Vou comprar mais livros do autor assim que possível!
Asghar Abbas
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Okay, where do I stand on this ? Wait, lemme get my breath back. Wow. What youthful emotions permeated in this book, raw. This was an excellent novel, clearly a beloved of the author's. It wasn't epic on Shadow of the Wind's scale, but still without much comparing them, it's a fine early work with enough unique wordlings in it to pack quite a few punches, whew.

I don't think this was a Gothic tale per se, but still couple of times during the night it definitely crept me out, had to finish it dur
...more
André Nuno
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A minha primeira re-leitura de 2019. Não poderia ter começado melhor.
Há uma energia que emana das palavras deste livro e me liga a ele indelevelmente.

Só no preciso momento em que tenho nas mãos uma obra de Zafón me apercebo do quanto aprecio a sua escrita.

"Marina disse-me uma vez que apenas recordamos o que nunca aconteceu. Passaria uma eternidade antes que compreendesse aquelas palavras."

Para mim, talvez tenham sido precisos alguns anos de intervalo, muita vida e uma segunda leitura para começ
...more
Emir Ibañez
Mi error fue leer este libro después de haber leído La sombra del viento. Nos encontramos con que Zafón utilizó antes el mismo concepto que luego puliría de manera magistral, pero aquí siento que vi el borrador de una historia apresurada y un tanto delirante.
TL
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
4.5 actually, :) My favorite of these sets of books.. tied with 'watcher in the shadows'..Oscar and Marina are two of my favorite MCs of his.

*minor spoilers abound*
---

A bit darker than the previous installments with some genuinely disturbing/horrifying moments, 'Marina' is an enchanting tale. Wonderfully tragic, suspenseful... bound with some romance as well.

Its always bittersweet for me in a way to finish a Carlos Ruiz Zafon tale... I love going on the journey and seeing what happens to everyon
...more
Roula
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ενα παραμυθι που μπορει να μη με κερδισε με το θεμα του τοσο πολυ αλλα η γραφη και ο τροπος εξιστορησης του θαφον ειναι πραγματικα μαγικος και σιγουρα θα διαβασω κ τα υπολοιπα βιβλια του.πολυ ιδιαιτερη εμπειρια αυτο το βιβλιο..
Owlseyes on notre dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...



QUOTES:

"Marina és un dels meus favorits"..."Marina es possiblement la més indefinible i difícil de categoritzar de las novel-les que he escrit".
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Barcelona, Juny del 2008"
~~~~
"Marina is one of my favorites;..it's possibly the most undefinable and hardest to categorize of the novels I have written"
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Barcelona, June of 2008
~~

Once upon a time, in the 1970's, in Barcelona, a fifteen year old boy "disappeared" for seven days and nights. Oscar Drai was a pupil in a b
...more
Inés Izal
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, favoritos
Rió y en ese momento, con esa rara certeza que sólo se tiene un par de veces en la vida, supe que iba a pasar el resto de mi vida a su lado.

Zafón eres un grande.
Maria Sol
Primer libro que leo de este autor super conocido y aclamado y seguramente por culpa de esto yo esperaba otra cosa, esperaba mas.
A ver, sin duda el autor es muy bueno y logra enganchar, intrigar, sumergimos en la Barcelona de los años 80, lo que a mi me pasó es que tanta mezcla entre la fantasía y la realidad no me convenció, como que la historia que yo quería leer era la de Marina y Oscar pero en comparación de todo lo demás es muy poco lo que el autor nos da de ellos. Ya se que hay puntos en l
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Smuggler's Cove Marina 1 4 Mar 16, 2018 08:21AM  
Play Book Tag: Marina - 4 stars 4 25 Apr 20, 2017 03:27AM  
Play Book Tag: Marina, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - 4.5 stars 5 21 Jan 18, 2017 12:07PM  
Around the Year i...: Marina, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 1 18 Oct 02, 2016 04:36PM  
Marina Bitacora #1 1 18 Jan 17, 2016 05:53PM  
  • Um Mundo Sem Fim, Volume II
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Saga Sigrun (Północna Droga, #1)
  • La sombra de la luna (El ciclo de la luna roja, #3)
  • La bellezza e l'inferno: scritti 2004-2009
  • Nomen omen
  • Dos velas para el diablo
  • Habitaciones cerradas
  • O Anjo Branco
  • Barcelona Shadows
  • La maldición de las musas (Cuentos de Bereth, #2)
  • El asedio
  • A Viela da Duquesa
  • Swift as Desire
  • Hungerelden (Victoria Bergmans svaghet, #2)
  • Livro
  • La décima sinfonía
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Eight
16,256 followers
Carlos Ruiz Zafón is a Spanish novelist. Born in Barcelona in 1964, he has lived in Los Ángeles, United States, since 1994, and works as a scriptwriter aside from writing novels.

His first novel, El príncipe de la niebla (The Prince of Mist, 1993), earned the Edebé literary prize for young adult fiction. He is also the author of three more young-adult novels, El palacio de la medianoche (1994), Las
...more
“A veces dudo de mi memoria y me pregunto si únicamente seré capaz de recordar lo que nunca sucedió” 111 likes
“Al fin y al cabo, ¿qué clase de ciencia es ésa, capaz de poner un hombre en la luna pero incapaz de poner un pedazo de pan en la mesa de cada ser humano?” 91 likes
More quotes…