Start by marking “Fosgate's Game” as Want to Read:
Fosgate's Game

Fosgate's Game

KINGS OF INDUSTRY. PAWNS OF FATE. LET THE GAME BEGIN.

For Chadwick Harlow, a peaceful, easy-going Englishman, after-dinner drinks with his business partner—a ruthless, hard-edged hunter—is a weekly affair. But when casual conversation takes a mysterious and menacing turn into the supernatural, his wits are put to the test in a deadly challenge. Clinging to life but praying
Published 2019 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fosgate's Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fosgate's Game

Gae-Lynn Woods
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a rare treat to pick up a book by an author unknown to you and be immediately drawn into the world he creates. FOSGATE'S GAME was a pleasure to read. Chadwick and Fosgate are perfectly matched to play this macabre game of supernatural chess. Fosgate is cold and calculating, and makes no excuses for his brutality when it comes to building his business empire. Chadwick is reluctantly drawn into Fosgate's vicious plans and is unable to extricate himself until he finds a very creative (and sati ...more
Elise Stokes
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella
"Given the choice, he shouldn't have played Fosgate's Game.
Given the choice . . . he should have taken death."

These opening lines had me. Everything that followed did not disappoint. Thanks to the talented David C. Cassidy's visual writing style and attention to detail, I felt like I was hunkered down in front of the television, absenting depositing popcorn into my mouth while spellbound by a classic black-and-white Alfred Hitchhock film. Good stuff.

In my review for Velvet Rain, I referred to Ca
Adam Light
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, horror, novellas
Fosgate's Game was a deftly written short novella that incorporated supernatural elements into a Hitchcock style story. I don't want to give anything away, so I will just recommend it highly to anyone who enjoys some class with their horror.
Nancy
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-syfy
Oh maaaaaannnnnnn, this is a good book! I read it within an afternoon and was sorry to have it end. I was glued from the first sentence to the last! Yesssss! I'm glad I found this one ;)
Lexi
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are some dark visions and imagery in this story that I liked which added to the terror and the narrative. It was well written in my opinion, however I feel that maybe I wanted more out of it..

I liked how he thought of this story while playing chess (the regular kind *wink*) with his brother -- it shows you how far his ability to transform imagination into ink can take you. Good read to plow through.
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Chess- the royal game, where a sly tactician can hone their skills. It is a game of wits, requiring a quick, clever mind to master. And in Fosgate's Game, by David Cassidy, chess has truly become 'the most dangerous game', as lives are put on the line.

The story is told from the perspective of Chadwick, a companion of sorts to a maladjusted man name of Fosgate. Fosgate has acquired a most rare artifact, a chess set dated to the time of thrpe Tepes rulers of Wallachia. No ordinary chess set is thi
Bruce Blanchard
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Deadly Game of Chess

One of the the genres of horror I love involves mansion houses, violent storms and cursed objects. They usually involve a small cast of people in a contest against one another. You have the master who is a dangerous hunter. The other is the innocent who is drawn into the situation and forced to swim through dark waters. A contest of wills. The skillful writer keeps the tension going without ever letting it down. Evil versus the good which finds itself stressed to the breaki
Laura Ruetz
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for an effective horror novella, look no further. Fosgate ' s Game is a well written horror short that has rich imagery, great characters and yet, much like Lovecraft, leaves just enough to your imagination to really allow your brain to fill in the small details.
I really enjoyed this story, and the build up of horror as you read it. The writing and the details are superb. In the beginning, without over describing, the reader is pulled into the horror that Chadwick feels at th
Teri
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this was a really good read!! The story is original, disturbing, and kind of punches you in the gut. I particularly appreciate that Cassidy has a rather deft hand when it comes to describing the characters, the scene, and the emotions involved without being overly wordy and drawn out. I could sense Fostgate's madness and evil, and I could feel Chadwick's anguish and inner turmoil. I was snared instantly from the very first lines in the book, and I did not put the book down until I had finish ...more
Bob
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fiction, occult
This is a very good short novel reminiscent of Poe in style and content. The premise: a chess set of macabre pieces, which when played, brings death to someone of the winner's choosing. There's really not much more to the story than that. The brooding style in inner turmoil of the characters caught in the game are what make the story. Not for action lovers. Not for light readers. But a nice change of pace for those, like me, who are always looking for something different.
Jo
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another must read by David, I love the way his spins his web of words so that you feel all the emotions that the main characters are feeling. What I like even more is David does not try to fill out the story to make it longer as so many authors do I find David's style refreshing. If you haven't read this or Velvet Rain then I recommend you add them to your read list. Thank you David I am looking furrowed to your next book.
Jonathan Urban
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FOSGATE'S GAME was an excellently conceived and written novella that actually captures that lightning in a bottle that fewer horror novels seem to be able to do. That lightning is the ability to actually, like 70's and 80's, even 90's Stephen King tales, strike fear while reading. Make a chill go up your spine in that pleasant way. Certainly doesn't hurt that Cassidy is a wordsmith with the ability to take a horror novel up the literary ladder, without losing its genre. Excellent, quick read.
Anna
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The opening lines drew me in.

The scene set on a cold and stormy night in the home of a ruthless, crazy, bully.

Excellently written with a superb twist. A great read and if you happen to play chess then if you dare to read this book, your game will never be the same.

(Perhaps, more chilling is how/when the author came up with his ideas for this book).
P.S. Winn
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reminiscent of an Edgar Alan Poe tale the author draws the reader in, as they feel they too are sitting in the room and enjoying a twisted game of chess and murder. I love this writer's style and amazing way of telling a tale worthy of a literature master. Readers are going to love this short tale that is a bit mad, a bit horrific, a bit suspenseful and amazingly good.
Genevieve
The first line of the book had my attention, and had me continue reading. The more I read, the more I felt like the story sidetracked in the conversations. A lot of the conversations did not lead up to the ending. Although, I did enjoy how it ended and the dark theme of it. I recommend this to those who like a well-played ending.
M. Saban-Smith
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My God, did I ever enjoy this story.
Nicely written, great descriptions and a plot that kept me reading.
If you fancy a gothic inspired read and have a few hours to spare, then this would be a perfect choice. I couldn't put it down.
A new favourite author.
Debra
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was some interesting games of chess with some twists and turns that the reader might not expect! The one main character seems weak but the reader will be surprised when they read the last chapter! Well written and keep one on their toes story!
Carole
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scarily good!

Quite liked this story. Takes a while to get into it as I usually read romance rather than suspense but yes, not bad with quite a twist at the end.
Brian S. Shipe
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evil

Truly a surprising change to a good game of chess.enjoyed the book,mainly because it makes one think where will evil reign?
Heather McBride
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good short story... I almost passed on this one because the beginning was very slow... Glad I read all the way through!
Gretchen
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable old-fashioned horror story.
Steve Welter
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Quick moving story perfect with a cup of tea on a stormy night.
Looking forward to more from this author
Mandie D
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a creepy little tale... I enjoyed the read...
विकास   नैनवाल
A nice creepy novella. I liked the premise of the book and the ending was superb.
Melinda Matthews
Classic horror! Great story!
Though I do enjoy suspense, I rarely read horror or thrillers but this one kept calling my name, so I just decided to give it a shot, thinking I probably wouldn't be able to finish it. I was so wrong. I couldn't put the story down! Great writing, strong characters and an intriguing storyline that hooked me and wouldn't let me go. A really good story, but read it with the lights on and when the sun is shining... Highly recommend!!
Alison  Banks
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read

I've always wanted to learn how to play chess. Well I DID until I read this book. Now, nope I don't want to learn, not now not ever. I don't think I'll even be admiring unusual chess sets and boards. I loved to book from beginning to end, except next time the author is David C. Cassidy, I am certainly not reading it in bed . Too many nightmares can follow.
Ami
This story is a wonderful blend of terrifying possibilities, suspense and horror. It did begin a bit slow but was well worth the time to get to the deeply demented rest of the story. I highly recommend it and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Gwen Schwartz
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb short story

This little gem had me hooked from the first sentence. It held my attention with its quirkiness. A dark story that keeps you wondering until the end. Very different from anything that I've read before. In a good way!
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of chess and death!

I am an avid chess player so this story was a lot of fun. It was short and sweet and makes you wonder what if!!

• Sultan of Delhi: Ascension
  • Snow Day
  • The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)
  • The Zombie Always Knocks Twice (Hollyweird, #1)
  • Mad Gods: Predatory Ethics: Book 1 (Volume 1)
  • The Novellas
  • Speak of the Devil (Speak of the Devil, #1)
  • The Naughty Sins of a Saint (The Saint Series #1)
  • Doctor Who and the Ark in Space
  • It Rained All Night
  • The Forever Contract
  • डार्क हॉर्स
  • Vampire Origins - Project Ichorous (The Strigoi #1)
  • Doctor Who and the Auton Invasion
  • Blank (Lincoln Delabar #1)
  • Covert Reich
  • Nowhere to Hide
  • The Case of the Glamorous Ghost (Perry Mason)
Award-winning author David C. Cassidy is the twisted mind behind several chilling books of horror and suspense. An author, photographer, and graphic designer—and a half-decent juggler—he spends his writing life creating tales of terror where Bad Things Happen To Good People. Raised by wolves, he grew up with a love of nature, music, science, and history, with thrillers and horror novels feeding th ...more
“Given the choice, he shouldn’t have played Fosgate’s Game. Given the choice … he should have taken death.” 0 likes