Start by marking “Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church” as Want to Read:
Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church

Rejesus: A Wild Messiah For A Missional Church

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
ReJesus asks the following questions: What ongoing role does Jesus the Messiah play in shaping the ethos and self understanding of the movement that originated in him? ???????????????????????? How is the Christian religion informed and shaped by the Jesus that we meet in the Gospels? ???????????????????????? How do we assess the continuity required between the life and exa ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Hendrickson Publishers (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rejesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rejesus

Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
ReJesus helped put words to the feeling I get when I walk into many mainstream contemporary Christian churches: “I wonder what Jesus would think of this?” (I wrote a while back about feeling the same way about the 700 Club). Here is what I mean.

A few months ago, the BF and I went to see the Dead Sea Scrolls at a local church. I knew about this church (it’s enormous), but I’d never actually been. The BF has attended the church before, and said it felt like being at a church informercial. I quickl
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
To me this is the best book Hirsch & Frost have written together apart from "Shaping". I believe every church "leader" should read this book and re-engage the Jesus of the Scriptures. Until then, he/she should not teach about Jesus.
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what to expect. This book took me a long time to go through because of the content and the time it took to digest. It is one of the best books I've read this year and probably most influential. I recommend it to anyone!
David Mullens
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Stressed the life of Jesus as the model of faith.
Stephanie Dean
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for those frustrated with modern "Christianity" and anyone who seeks to get back to the simplicity of Jesus.
Roger Sigmon
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great reminder not to water down the story of the Real Jesus and his missional and radical life.
Aug 11, 2011 added it
Excellent. Don't read it too fast like i did.
Apr 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Compelling look at following Jesus rather than getting caught up in lifeless religion.
Steven Bullmer
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
There is much in this book that resonates with my soul. A long time ago Jesus put on my heart a "holy discontent for the status quo." I literally looked around the church in which I was worshiping and said to myself, "I'm not sure what Jesus wanted his church to become, but I'm pretty sure this isn't it." And that launched what has become a 50-year quest to discover what Jesus wants his church to look like, and do whatever I can to bring that vision to reality.
To mix my metaphors, the church is
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
i've just read the first forty pages, the authors are a bit dismissive of conservative Christians.

the people that recommend it are apparently doing so out of friendship, a usual thing for blurbs but i wish "Christian" authors would be different. one of the raves is from someone the book is dedicated to. haven't looked through the book enough to know if other blub writers are mentioned in the text.

i enjoyed much of this book, frustrated by some, my copy is now scrawled thruout w/my thoughts.

Dennis Podryadchikov
Are you ready for Jesus you never knew? A radical Jesus? Jesus a revolutionary? Frost and Hirsch give just an introduction to Jesus who challenges everything about our status quo. Suggested ways to do so include allowing Scripture to read us, becoming a little Jesus, and more. Overall, the book is a place to begin a renewal of one's personal and corporate life with God.
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you've read any books in the realm of "emergent" or "missional" genre then this won't blow you away; however, it is full of great insight and encouragement into what it means to be a church of little Jesus'.
Donnie Gamble, Rev,  MDiv, DMin
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Donnie by: David Gustafson
Have not completed, put aside for present.
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es ist immer wieder gut, an die Grundlagen erinnert zu werden.
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent articulation of the need to recenter both disciple-making and ecclesiology/missiology upon the person and teaching of Jesus.
Brook Maturo
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
In typical fashion Hirsch and Frost put complex and challenging spiritual truths into concise and beautiful writing. Excellent remind to keep life, individual and corporate, centered on Jesus.
Paul Sparks
Dec 31, 2017
Aug 04, 2011
Muller Oosthuizen
Mar 08, 2014
Justin Farley
Mar 13, 2012
rated it did not like it
Sep 03, 2015
Implementation 1 2 Mar 08, 2014 05:37AM
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • An Emergent Manifesto of Hope (emersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)
  • The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything
  • The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited
  • Bible and Mission: Christian Witness in a Postmodern World
  • Listening to the Beliefs of Emerging Churches
  • Breaking the Missional Code: When Churches Become Missionaries in Their Communities
  • Soultsunami: Sink or Swim in New Millennium Culture
  • Recovering the Scandal of the Cross: Atonement in New Testament and Contemporary Contexts
  • The Tangible Kingdom: Creating Incarnational Community: The Posture and Practices of Ancient Church Now
  • Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World
  • Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America
  • The Sermons of Jonathan Edwards: A Reader
  • Revolution
Michael Frost is the Vice Principal and the Director of the Tinsley Institute at Morling College. He teaches various missiology and evangelism subjects and has written extensively on a missional paradigm for the church in a post-Christian era.

See also other Michael Frosts.
More about Michael Frost...

Nonfiction Deals

• K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
  • Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
    $12.99 $1.99
    $10.49 $1.99
“Shane Claiborne, author of The Irresistible Revolution, once surveyed a group of people who identified themselves as “strong followers of Jesus” and asked them, “Did Jesus spend time with the poor?” Around 80 percent replied in the affirmative, leaving a disturbing 20 percent of so-called strong followers of Jesus who think Jesus didn’t spend time with the poor. That this could be the case should remind us of the levels of Christian ignorance about our founder and Lord. But the more disturbing fact is that Claiborne asked the same group, “Do you spend time with the poor?” Only 2 percent replied that they did. There is for many an almost complete disconnect between our beliefs about Jesus and our actions. This disconnection lies at the nub of the problem facing the church.” 2 likes
“If the heart of Christian spirituality is to increasingly become like our founder, then an authentic comprehension of Jesus becomes critical.” 1 likes