Start by marking “The Jumble Sale (Adventures of the Misfit Monsters Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Jumble Sale (Adventures of the Misfit Monsters Book 1)

The Jumble Sale (Adventures of the Misfit Monsters Book 1)

Zadi is part zombie, part fairy with a little bit of robot, which makes her a misfit monster. She lives with other misfit monsters, with their quirky parts in their makeshift town. They survive by hunting at the nearby hunting grounds taking items discarded by humans and making them into something useful. Hunting is risky because they could be captured by humans. Zadi is a ...more
Published June 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Jumble Sale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jumble Sale

Dash fan
4☆ Plenty of Adventure, Fun, Quirky and Educational!

The Jumble Sale is the first part in a new Middle Grade Children's Fantasy Adventure Book!

Zadi is part zombie, part fairy, with a little bit of robot and lives in the misfit monster community. She's an amazing Hunter, which is perfect as she loves inventing new things to help her.

Zadi visits the hunting ground where she finds all kinds of old bits an bobs which she recycles.
But going to the hunting ground is dangerous as humans can be lurking a
Donna Maguire

I thought that this was a fun, quirky and original story!

I loved the different characters and that they were all unique in their own ways, the author did a really good job of describing them to bring them to life for me and I loved how they worked together.

The book has great underlying themes too and I loved how the ideas of team work and exchanging with others was key to the book as well as the importance of recycling and reusing what you have – whilst so
Elaine
Getting a community of diverse beings to work together seems a bit of a tall order for anyone, but that's just what Zadi endeavours to do in this children's fantasy story. There's a whole plethora of monsters made up of different creatures -for example, Zadi is part zombie, part fairy with a little bit of robot! Actually the fairy part is her wings but, unfortunately, they don't work... There are no two monsters alike and initially they are struggling to get along because their routine of search ...more
Jessica Belmont
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Jumble Sale is Middle Grade Fantasy at it’s best. A cast of unique characters, a fun and fast-paced plot, and a few things to learn along the way.

I love Zadi, our main character. She is strong, with a good head on her shoulders, and handy, but she admits she needs help from her friends. She isn’t perfect, who is? And I enjoyed that about her character. The rest of the cast was unique, and each person had their own personality, and their own set of circumstances.

I highly recommend The Jumble
Shannon Navin
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The Jumble Sale, by Lily Rose is the sweet story of a number of misfit monsters who find themselves in a predicament. The protagonist, Zadi (who is part fairy, part zombie and a little bit robot) leads the charge to help them overcome their struggle: they depend upon deliveries to the junkyard for their survival and there have been no deliveries from the humans in quite some time! Faced with a motley collection of misfit monsters (with as many diverse personalities as they have body parts), an o ...more
Cheryl M-M
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish this book had been around when my children were younger. My youngest son struggled with the UK school reading system and their approach to teaching children to read. He just didn’t get phonics and couldn’t get his head around the whole non-words, real words and sounds. I reverted back to Ladybird books and taught him to read myself, but he always remained a reluctant reader.

To encourage him to read I always looked for books, illustrations and premises that were perhaps outside of the norm
Gmr
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this introduction to the series a lot more than I even thought I would...and if you're one of those that think Middle Grade Fantasy can't teach you anything, think again. I love the fact that no two persons are the same (talk about an inclusive cast!), the favorable message of upcycling as well as "waste not want not" (hello nod to environmentally sound living!), and the fact that while they may not always see eye to eye, they're willing to work towards a better tomorrow together ...more
Jacqui Norris
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It says this book is for middle school age kids. I can tell you I think my second graders would love it. The story follows Zadi and a whole community of misfit monsters. Their lives revolve around hunting for treasures at the hunting grounds, a place where the humans dump their things. Everyone wants to be the first to get in there to find a new treasure to add to their home. The mayor, Mayor Ori has very strict rules about when hunting can be done. Zadi decides to break the rules and sneak into ...more
Jessica Bronder
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zadi is a combination of zombie, fairy, and robot which makes her a misfit monster. Zadi and other misfit monsters live in a little town near the hunting ground, where humans dump their stuff. Usually the monsters survive by gathering things and make various goodies. But there have been no deliveries to the hunting ground lately and the monsters are getting worried and fighting with each other. Zadi comes up with a plan to have a community Jumble Sale. But monsters are not really social and don’ ...more
Zamantha
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read.

This was such a sweet book. It is about a community made up of misfit monsters. They are small and live in a place where it's gated to be protected against humans, and hunt for things that they need from the garbage that humans leave. The hunting hasn't been going easy lately since the humans are not leaving much. Or they are not going on the right days.

But Zadi who is part Zombie, Fairy, and a little bit of Robot is the one who wants to make a change, and that happens when she brea
Tessa
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Jumble Sale is a cute and fun story. We are introduced into the world of misfit monsters. They are quirky and unique but share common interests. They are hunters and are fearful of humans. But it’s the hunting ground that they venture out together to hunt for parts that they can make useful in their lives. “One man’s trash is another’s treasures.”

Zadi is part zombie, fairy and robot and the adventure she starts out on is easy to follow. Each character is unique in the way they have been cre
Caroline Venables
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy books that conjure up new worlds and the author has done this really well. Bringing to life all these little monsters that part this and part that, all misfits living together in their own little community. I could picture them all in their houses made out of items the humans throw away.
This first book concentrates on Zadi, an accomplished inventor, who just wants to hunt for new items to tinker with. The book sees her emerge as a leader within their world, much to the annoyance o
Shelly Wygant
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read for kids and adults.

We meet Zadi and all of the misfit monsters. I loved at the beginning of the books there was a list of misfits and what they were comprised of. Zadi is a smart girl and always finding items she can make things out of. All of the characters were quirky and funny. It may seem like the characters are divided but when it matters they come together to overcome obstacles.

A quirky, fun, original read that will have you chuckling and cheering.
Patricia Rohrs (words we love by blog)
A super creative story that shows how team work and coming together can make life so much easier and more enjoyable! The misfit monsters were so awesome and I loved all the different monster and how no two were alike! There was so much to learn and take away from this cute short story and it’s definitely one I will share with my kids!
Linda Buzard-Moffitt
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a cute kids story. A Middle Grade reader level story about The Misfit Monsters. I found them neat and I am sure that young children especially those that enjoy the Fantasy genre will adore these creatures and this story. I appreciated the glossary of characters in the beginning of the book also.
Lori Caprio Tate
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my middle school daughter and we loved the storyline and the whole idea of this world filled with mismatched beings. We found the characters endearing and the story held your attention as you read through on the adventure of Zadi and her friends.
Angie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute, fun book to read. I think most kids would enjoy the dynamic and the characters. Zadie and friends are adorable. She’s looking to help them all and herself out by changing her towns ways for the better.
4.5/5
Nicole Studioso
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely story with wonderful positive messages including teamwork, sharing, patience and courage, both with oneself and with others. Zadi and her friends are adorable, and the adults may seem overbearing at times, but they are there to keep everyone safe and happy.
Jasmine
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Review coming soon!
Lucy-May
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute, quick read set in an interesting world with lovely characters. The Misfit Monsters are a strange bunch, but I found them interesting & know that young children will be fascinated by these curious little creatures. The Jumble Sale was a story about accepting change, about being brave & about standing up for what you believe in. It was a lovely, relaxing story that young readers will love.

I was sent this book to review as part of a blog tour organised by Rachel’s Random R
Maria Sinclair
is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2019
Eleni Konstantine
Jun 18, 2019
Lily Rose enjoys world building and creating characters for these unusual worlds. It was a lot of fun creating misfit monsters, and is looking forward to writing more of their adventures.