Start by marking “Being Small (Isn't So Bad After All)” as Want to Read:
Being Small (Isn't So Bad After All)

Being Small (Isn't So Bad After All)

Being small is the worst! No one ever picks me for their sports team and my feet hurt from standing on my tiptoes all the time. There can’t be anything good about being small…right?
Published April 16th 2019 by Mascot Books

To ask other readers questions about Being Small, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Small

Start your review of Being Small (Isn't So Bad After All)
Shaye Miller
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My sincere thanks to Laura Mossa of Beagles and Books for sending her copy of this book to me so that I could enjoy it with my youngest daughter (who is constantly worried about being so small and sounding so small). Right after it arrived, I sat down and read it with my youngest two children (my 5 y/o and my 8 y/o), who both enjoyed it! Written in rhyming text, we meet a young girl who doesn’t want to to go school because she’s so small. She complains about all the ways her life is miserable du ...more
Rebecca Yee-Peters
Cute!

This is a super cute rhyming story about a young girl. The story is sweet and the illustrations are beautiful.
Audrianna Thompson
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-2019
We all can relate to the little girl in this story. Once kids are in school, more often than not, they’re comparing themselves to their peers and struggle with the differences. Height being a major one!

The story starts out with a little girl hiding under her covers, saying she’s too sick for school, and tries convincing her mother she should just stay home. The truth comes to light; she’s embarrassed about how short she is and how she can’t do everything everyone else can do. Mama swoops in, sho
Safa Kidwai
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about looking at things from a different perspective. The little girl in the story doesn’t want to go to school because she is smaller than everyone in her class and isn’t able to do all the things that the taller kids can do. Her mother explains that there are other things she can do because she is small! Always 2 sides to a coin!
Rajiv
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

This is such a cute and inspirational story that boosts confidence in children. I recommended this book to my friend’s children and they also loved it.

As children start growing up and discover the world, they also start to notice flaws in themselves to fit in. The girl feels insecure because she is shorter than others her age. She doesn’t want others to judge and make fun of her. However, the author beautifully spins the tale
Sarah Perchikoff
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being Small is such a sweet little book. I love picture books and have actually been reading a lot more of them lately. I don’t know if I’m searching for something from childhood now that the world seems to be going to hell, but they are zero pressure and sometimes, I need like five minutes to decompress.

This story is about Hayley, a girl who fakes sick because she doesn’t want to go to school. She’s the shortest in her class and doesn’t like that everyone is taller than her. It means being pick
Elizabeth Mathis
Rating: 5/5 Penguins
Quick Reasons: super cute, quick read; as a former short kid (and a still-short adult), I LOVE the message this sends out; the pictures are absolutely adorable; two huge Penguin flippers up for this!

Huge thanks to Lori Orlinsky, Mascot Books, Inc., and Rockstar Book Tours for sending a copy of this title my way in exchange for a review! This in NO way altered my read of or opinions on this book.

This was a SUPER cute, super quick little read. As a former short kid who used to
Jenna Rideout
I was granted a complimentary review copy of Being Small (Isn't So Bad After All) by the author Lori Orlinsky via Rock Star Book Tours in exchange for an honest review as part of my participation on the blog tour. Thank you Lori Orlinsky and Rock Star Book Tours for the opportunity! This has not swayed my opinion on this title. My thoughts are my own and my review is honest.

Being Small (Isn't So Bad After All) is a cute story about a little girl in pre-K who doesn't want to go to school today b
Tonja Drecker
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed getting my hands on this one, thanks to my youngest daughter, who is also one of the 'small' ones in life.

This little girl doesn't want to go to school. Although she thinks she might not feel good enough to go, it turns out that she's upset about being so small. She recounts her troubles to her mother, who then flips everything upside down. And maybe being small isn't as negative as the little girl thinks.

The text is simple and flows in rhyme (some times smoother than others). T
Jasmine
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Being Small is a cute children's book that showcases a little girl who is adamant about staying home being she's too short to have any fun. Or so she believes. She lists all the reasons why being short is the worst, but then her mom counters with reasons why being short is just fine. Eventually, the little girl realizes her mom is right, and she's finally okay with being small.
I found this story to be a quick, easy read. Little kids will find the rhyming scheme fun to follow along with. The illu
Jack Purser
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lori Geller Orlinsky gives a great example of how a little girl realizes, through her mother, that she has several advantages to being short and not to focus on all of the disadvantages in "Being Small (Isn't So Bad After All)." The story provides a great balance between the pros and cons of being short and shows how a loving mother can be a positive influence on a young child. I really enjoyed the rhyme scheme to the story that also makes reading the story out load fun to sing. Vanessa Alexandr ...more
Kari
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-read
A great rhyming book for kids to boost their self esteem despite being different in some way. In this story it starts with the little girl pretending she’s sick so she won’t have to go to school. What it really is, is that she is tired of being shorter/ smaller than others. But when her mom discovers her still in bed, she feels her and knows she isn’t sick. That is when the truth spills out of all the things the little girl cannot do. But her mother points out all the perks and benefits of being ...more
Debbie Cooper
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We loved this book! Five out of five shiny stars for this one. With the amount of bullying going on with our younger generation, we’ve got to teach our children. We have to teach them how to overcome others negative opinions and make sure we are never on the giving end of those negative words. This book is about a girl who is small and gets picked on for it. Her mother explains to her why being small is way cool! It’s a great example at lifting our children up out of a bad place by turning their ...more
Aida Rascanu
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. The worries of a short girl are so real and relevant, being left out because she doesn't conform to the standards is unfortunately too often seen. But soon she realizes, with the help of her mother, that being different is not at all a bad thing. Being different can be frustrating, but it could also be an advantage...it's all a matter of how she looks at it.
The illustrations are the cutest!
Stenetta Anthony
Lori Orlinksy gives us a glimpse into her childhood and how she was small in stature. Sharing how she learned to overcome her views about being small. Learning to embrace the cons of her size. There are positive experiences and lessons that children can learn from . Accepting that everyone is special no matter their size. I loved the rhythm pattern and illustrations that where enchanting. I would highly recommend this book for children ages 2-9 years.

I give this book 5+ stars!!!
Aditi Wardhan
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book for every little kid who might see themselves as different .It is so important to be able to view yourself in a different light , specially if you are small. If your child is smaller than their age (as mine is at this time) you WANT to pick this one up and boost their confidence multifold.
Ronit
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about a little girl who finds it difficult to be the smallest kid in the classroom. But her mother finds the advantages of it. I love this book. I had the same issue growing up, so I can relate to it. It is a cute story with a moral on it. I love the illustration too.

I am commanding this book for kids ages 4-7.
Barbara Russell
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for this lovely picture book. I felt very close to the little girl who's the protagonist of the story because I was a short child too. Now I am a short adult, lol, so I can relate with the little girl's problems. I know what it means to be the short one.
I loved the rhymes, the way her Mum encouraged her, and the pictures are awesome.

Kourtney
This story is about a girl who is worried about being to short but her mother shows her being short is a good thing too. I love the illustrations and the message in the story is educational and will help kids who are feeling down about their height.
Katie Eloise
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story about a little girl who doesn’t want to go to school because she’s so short. The rhymes are really nice and flow quite easily. My five year old loved it and even asked for me to read it again straight away!
Christine Irvin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book's message that being small isn't all bad. Small people can do some things better than big people can. But the book is written in rhyme. Writing in rhyme is difficult to do and do well. The rhyme and rhythm are off in several places, which takes away from the message of the text.
Katrina Hammock
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cute quick children’s book for our fellow shorties out there. ❤️
Nessa
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book about being small! It also rhymes throughout it all.

Definitely a good book about being behind in growing.
Emily Castro
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This children's book is a very fun and Smart Way of trying to get kids to realize that being a small ain't so bad after all and they can do and enjoy things that big people can't. Too thumbs up!!!
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute picture book helping a young girl see the advantages she has because she is small.
Steph_d
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Free for honest review!

I loved this little book. The pictures and illustrations were just so adorable we well constructed it showed you exactually what you were reading.
The ryhming was just so cute and funny. Enough to make any child laugh and feel uplifted when feeling down or insignificant.
Which is a major point for this book, differences should be made to be fantastic not looked down upon (no pun intended). individuality is wonderful!

I think this will be a wonderful point for both adults
Rebecca Sosny
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story !! Celebrating the difference and overcoming any obstacles no matter how small!! To be proud of who you are!!
Neha Thakkar
rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2020

• My Hair Went on Vacation
  • Sisters of the Moon
  • Misleading a Duke (The Wallflowers of West Lane, #2)
  • The Furies
  • Shuri: A Black Panther Novel (Marvel)
  • The Heart Revolution
  • The Survival of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #2)
  • #Murderfunding (MurderTrending, #2)
  • In a Holidaze
  • The Wicked Oath
  • The Lie She Told
  • What if?
  • Not Myself Today
  • Sleeping with the Enemy (Lords of Lancashire, #4)
  • The Alphabet's Alphabet