Start by marking “State of the Union: A Marriage in Ten Parts” as Want to Read:
State of the Union: A Marriage in Ten Parts

State of the Union: A Marriage in Ten Parts

A heartbreaking, funny, and honest look inside of a marriage falling apart and the lengths a couple would go to in order to fix it from the bestselling author of About a Boy and High Fidelity.

"Hornby is a writer who dares to be witty, intelligent, and emotionally generous all at once." - The New York Times Book Review

Tom and Louise meet in a pub before their couple's ther
Published May 7th 2019 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about State of the Union, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State of the Union

MaryBeth's Bookshelf
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Nick Horny does it again; he brings us in to the human heart and does not let go.
Hornby's latest novel is a voyeuristic look at a marriage in crisis. Each week Tom and Louise meet at a pub across from their marriage counselor. There they discuss what brought them to this point and what each needs to move forward. Utilizing only dialogue we are brought into the heart of this marriage, with all its cracks and imperfections. I loved it.
Sundae
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Hornby is my soulmate. I love every word he's written. The only thing wrong with this is that it's too short!
It's also a new format -- not a novel, but a teleplay. So it's all dialogue with some stage direction. But nobody does middle class middle-aged angsty dialogue like Nick Hornby, so every word is perfect.
Jillian Doherty
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could have continued being a voyeur on Tom and Louise's pre-counseling pub visits, for at least another 2 months ;)

Hornby does it again - giving us smart, charismatic, and appealing writing. It's fun read, and ideal for anyone who's been in a long term relationship.

The character's snarky, yet connective banter makes you feel included - like you're in on the joke; with charm and stylized humor it's an ideal summer read!

Galley borrowed from the publisher.
Doug
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently, this was originally simply the scripts for the new Showtime series of ten 10-minute segments bearing the same title, that Hornby then (barely) novelized, since the book itself is 96% dialogue, with some very minimal 'stage directions' thrown in occasionally. That wouldn't be so terrible, since Hornby excels in creating such dialogues, but it just seems that something is missing. Having seen a few minutes of the show itself (I don't get Showtime, or I'd definitely watch it), it is cle ...more
Matt
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got so excited about some new Hornby material that I paid $11 for a short story!
At any rate, it's a good short story, and I spread out over three readings to make it last. I really miss having Nick Hornby novels to read, as there aren't many other contemporary writers I enjoy much. This is a story about being married a long time, and I have been, so it was interesting and drew me in right away. It goes into the nature of marriage and love and relationship problems with the style that is trade
JDK1962
Entertaining enough in spots, and I like the structure (10 conversations in a pub between a husband and wife, prior to weekly marriage counselor appointments). But lacking any real meat. As with a number of Hornby's more recent works, I'll probably be hard pressed to remember it in a week or two. If you've not read High Fidelity or About a Boy, go with those first...
Tracy Ramone
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nick Hornby does it again.
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Ten chapters. Ten conversations. An estranged husband and wife meet up in a pub for a drink for ten consecutive weeks before they head across the street to their therapist’s office. A little slice of life. Realistic in how discussions ramble and often don’t end up being what they started being about.
Elizabeth Fleming
So, so lovely... however lamentably short! Hornby is one of the very few authors who have the ability to make me laugh out loud, cackle style. He’s a true master, yet there’s a real sense of effortlessness in his work. Like how the great ones make difficult feats look easy. This one goes down like an ice cold sweet tea in summer. A must read.
Things I thought about before I read this book:
1. I super loved /High Fidelity/ when I read it (seriously 20) years ago and read it several times, but I haven't read it in the time (decades) since.
2. Even at the time, I recognized that the main character is a dick.
3. Although I claim to like I really like this author, I never read any of his other books. What if I didn't like them? Scary.
4. I wondered how much his writing had changed between /High Fidelity/ and now; I bet if I reread it now, I w
Michael  Malone
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witty, fun, clever, everything you'd expect from a Hornby novel.
Yet it's not quite a Hornby novel. It is the collected screenplays for his new TV series, which features ten-minute episodes focused on a couple in a pub, ten minutes before they step into marital therapy sessions.
It's all dialogue. Hornby does dialogue with the best, but the characters and story would've been further fleshed out with a bit of narrative alongside the dialogue.
Tom and Louise are good characters and what's at stake
David Bril
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nick-hornby
Another fantasticly funny read from Nick Hornby. This one is fairly short, containing 10 chapters, each a week apart, about a married couple who is going to therapy. It is witty, sharp and damn fun, with the two main characters being flaws but very likeable as well. It tells a perfectly tight story with the amount of time giving and concludes satisfactory. Can't wait to go watch the mini series of the same story.
Art
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
A very enjoyable piece of short fiction that reads like a play or screenplay (which is what it is). I love it when sparse writing captures so much. In this case, a couple whose relationship that has gone off track. Although, I felt I learned more about him than her her. Nick Hornby’s humor shines through. The Sundance television show is also worth watching especially the 10-15 minute episodes..
Denise Mullins
After almost 20 years together, Tom and Louise's marriage is floundering so they engage in counseling as a last ditch effort. Hornby's take on their experience, told in 10 chapters, reads more like hastily cobbled together scenes for a second- rate sit com. The dialogue is uninspired, unfunny, choppy, and fails to relate to real people. At least it was mercifully short.
Brian
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a confessed Hornby fan since High Fidelity so I am biased but I really enjoyed this book. It’s a very honest and thoughtful view into the marriage relationship in a creative way. I love Hornby‘s wit and found myself totally interested in his characters from the jump.
Andrea Faundez
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Es la adaptación de un guión que Nick escribió originalmente para la serie del mismo nombre y después la convirtió en libro.
¿Será este el primer caso de “la serie es mejor que el libro”? Puede ser.
Mary
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Perfect, classic Hornby.
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
3.5/5

Short, witty, and charming. It was a quick and enjoyable read that left me wanting more, but it wasn’t anything overly special.
Jordan
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it, but not sure why this wasn't just a screenplay... which considering it has already been turned into a show, it kind of was.
Alberto Acerete
May 13, 2019
Cooper
May 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nick Hornby is the author of the novels A Long Way Down, Slam, How to Be Good, High Fidelity, and About a Boy, and the memoir Fever Pitch. He is also the author of Songbook, a finalist for a National Book Critics Circle Award, Shakespeare Wrote for Money, and The Polysyllabic Spree, as well as the editor of the short-story collection Speaking with the Angel. He is a recipient of the American Acade ...more