Start by marking “Child's Play (DI Kim Stone, #11)” as Want to Read:
Child's Play (DI Kim Stone, #11)

Child's Play

(D.I. Kim Stone #11)

Finally we’re playing a game. A game that I have chosen. I give one last push of the roundabout and stand back. 'You really should have played with me,’ I tell her again although I know she can no longer hear.

Published July 11th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Child's Play, please sign up.
Sue Mohlke Not really!! There are continuances about the main people in the 'series'.

Start your review of Child's Play (DI Kim Stone, #11)
Chelsea Humphrey
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Kim Nash
I'm amazed that, 11 books into the series, I'm still just as much of a die-hard Kim Stone and Crew fan as I was at the end of book 1. Usually, I hang around for 3 books in a long running narrative, maybe 5 if I'm truly addicted, but I always find myself tapering off and becoming distracted by other books that I feel merit my time. Whether it's due to the wonderfully flawed characters who have become like family to me, or the well plotted mysteries that I'm always surprised by in some form or ...more
Meredith
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The game is murder.

The players: A twisted serial killer vs. geniuses. He lures his victims by drawing them in to play classic childhood games. Who will win?

*Minor Spoilers Below*

A killer is on the loose. He likes to play games that end in murder on the playground, on the hopscotch court, etc. Kim Stone and her team investigate the murders, which lead them to the dark world of the child prodigy circuit.

Unlike previous installments, the case takes center stage and the team’s personal drama is
Maureen
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
When an elderly lady is found brutally murdered late one summer’s evening, DI Kim Stone and her team are called in to bring a swift resolution to this horrific murder, but it won’t be an easy task. The victim was found with stab wounds in Haden Hill Park - she’d been tied with barbed wire to a children’s swing, and the killer had also carved an X into the back of her neck.

The victim was 61 year old Belinda Evans, a retired Professor of Child Psychology, and given the fact that she was
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
Can I just say - if you are NOT reading this series yet, YOU SHOULD BE! It's a MUST READ!

Let's play a game. It's a twisty one involving revenge, murder and family strife. Are you up for it? Kim Stone and her team certainly were!

In this 11th installment of one of my absolutely favorite series, Kim and her team find themselves one step behind a gruesome killer whose hunting ground seems to be child prodigies and the people who work closely with them.

The investigation takes them deep into the
Paromjit
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After the darkest of traumas experienced by DI Kim Stone and her team previously, Angela Marsons gives the reader a much needed breather with this, her 11th addition to this brilliant series. This is a series I read for the characters, the emotionally damaged Kim, and her team, the interactions and banter between them, all of whom I have come to care for. Plus, of course, for the well researched themes by Marsons, here, the topic of child prodigies, their impact on siblings, and their parents. ...more
Debra
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
X marks the spot!

Belinda Evans is found murdered on a playground, tied to a swing with barbed wire and an X carved into the back of her neck. Who would want to kill this retired professor of Child Psychology? Detective Kim Stone is called to investigate and finds that there is more to this retired woman in her sixties than meets the eye. Not only does Kim find that the victim had an interesting relationship with her sister, Veronica, but that Belinda had a packed bag and appeared to have been
Christine
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded to 5 stars

It’s always a thrill when another Kim Stone book makes its appearance. It immediately gets bumped to my top 3 list, which is pretty good seeing as I have over 1300 books in my “just gotta read” pile. Child’s Play is book 11 in the series. How did that happen? When Ms. Marsons signed her 16 book deal, I thought I was set forever!

Child’s Play has a lot going for it. In this one we have two plotlines. The first is a very intricate case that involves three out of the four
Liz
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I always enjoy a visit with DI Kim Stone and her team. And this is no exception. Kim is investigating the death of a middle aged woman, knifed and left entwined with barbed wire on a swing set. The victim, Belinda Evans, is one weird bird and her relationship with her sister, Veronica, is really odd. Meanwhile, Penn is involved with a court case from his last case with his old team. And it’s going to Hell in a handbasket.

I’ve got to give Marsons credit. Her stories are always well crafted,
Toni
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, thriller, crime
Now I see why so many of my friends like Angela Marsons. It didn't matter that I started the series from the eleventh book- I had to put on hold all other books I was reading. I'm hooked.

The writing in this final instalment of D.I.Kim Scott series is simply superb, and the book provides enough background to ease in a reader who is new to the series.

Kim Stone is my new favourite police officer character. She is not flawless, in fact, I really enjoyed the pages where her domestic life is
Zoeytron
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Childhood, a time of carefree abandon. Hey! Let's go play in the park! The monkey bars and the jungle gym beckon, the merry-go-round promises a ton of fun, and the sliding board is waiting. Hold on for a sec . . . that swing is already occupied, and the teeter-totter is taken. Someone has been having a real good time.

Child prodigies, the gifted ones, they outshine and surpass the others around them. These accelerated few manage to garner
Linda
Our children bloom in a garden not necessarily of our own making.

Angela Marsons switches gears in Child's Play #11 in the DI Kim Stone Series. She veers past Kim's mysterious childhood that drifts into some of her previous offerings and ventures into the widening topic of gifted children this time. We're drawn into the sometimes uneven road of early detection, recognition, and the often ill-planned and complicated servicing of their individual needs.

Marsons takes us into an abandoned children's
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: ....finally we're playing a game. A game that I have chosen.

A trail of blood is forming in a circle around the gravel.

I push harder, causing the roundabout to whiz past me at speed.

'You should have listened to me,' I cry, pushing as hard as I can.

The sounds coming from her are no more than a whimper.

The blood on the ground is pooling, clumps of flesh are sticking to the concrete base.

The crying stops completely after I hear the sound of the fracture of her skull.

I give one last
Carolyn
It's good to be back again with DI Kim Stone and her team! After the last two books where Kim lost a member of her team and was then targeted by a criminal recreating traumatic events from her early life, it's especially good to see her back doing what she does best in concentrating on solving crime.

After the gruesome death of children's psychology professor, Belinda Evans, in a playground and a second death with some similar features Kim believes there might be a serial killer at work. Her
Emma
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly, this is not Angela Marsons' best work.

Perhaps this is in part because the last two books have focused on intensely personal and emotional team-orientated stories that have changed the lives of each and every character as well as our understanding of the series as a whole. Having little of that kind of development, this offering feels very light in comparison.

Except it's not just that, nothing really works that well. There are two separate investigations running through the novel that
Alan Cotterell
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019, arc
First of all I must thank Net Galley, Bookouture, and Angela Marsons for an ARC of this novel. In exchange for an honest review.

This one is a little different in that there are 2 distinct plotlines/investigations. Firstly the main one involving Kim and her team (plus the new addition TiffanyTinkerbell – hopefully she returns), investigating a series of gruesome murders, with an intriguing and thought provoking plot. Penn also gets his own case, and we learn a bit more about him. The downside to
Louise Wilson
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
DI Kim Stone #11

Kim and her team are back and this time they've been asked to investigate the murder of Belinda Evans, a retired child psychologist. She was found in a children's playground, her wrists had been tied with barbed wire, stabbed in the chest and a X had been carved in the back of her knock. More deaths occur and they all have prodigy link. Penn has to go back to his old team as a case he was involved in collapsed.

In each new book Kim's character grows more. The book has a dual
Sue
Child's Play is the 11th book in the D.I. Kim Stone crime-thriller series by best-selling author Angela Marsons. Angela Marsons remains one of my favourite mystery authors, and her publisher, Bookouture always publishes the very best novels. I have read all of her books…and she keeps getting better. I don’t want this series to end!

The characters are so well-developed and continue to grow with each new instalment in the series. In Child’s Play there are two plotlines. The first one is devoted to
Selena
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free e-copy of Child's Play (DI Kim Stone #11) by Angela Marsons from NetGalley for my honest review.

I can't believe I have never read a book by this author. I will be going back to read this entire series and will be keeping watch for any and all books by Angela Marsons in the future.

A police procedural that is twisted and compelling!

Detective Kim Stone arrives at a crime scene where she finds a woman who is tied to a children's swing with barbed wire There is a letter X carved
Brenda
As DS Penn headed to court for a case that was his before he joined Detective Kim Stone’s team, he little realized what would happen in his life in the next few days. Meanwhile Kim, Bryant and Stacey were up against a murder of a horrific nature. Barbed wire, a ritualistic marking of the flesh and a playground. As Kim and Bryant discovered the identity of the woman, they also saw her sister, Veronica. The vibes that rippled across to Kim felt uneasy; wrong…

With two more bodies murdered in the
Mandy White
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new Detective Kim Stone book is always exciting for me. I know that no matter what it is going to be good. Child's Play is book 11 in this series and it is absolutely as strong as the very first book. I don't know how Angela Marsons manages to keep it so fresh and addictive but she has done it again with this instalment. Here's to a very very long life to this series. As always I struggled to put this book down. It opens with a cracker of a murder scene and doesn't let up until the very end. ...more
Jean
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Marsons! What fun you must have had writing the eleventh installment of your marvelous Kim Stone series! It must have been like child’s play for you. Oh! That’s the title – Child’s Play. It’s ironic that the first victim, Belinda Evans, was a child psychologist, and that much of the book deals with child prodigies because Kim Stone is no stranger to child psychologists or to an abnormal childhood. However, there she keeps her thoughts and emotions stuffed deep inside during this case as ...more
The Cats’ Mother
It's not often that I'm speechless at the start of a review, but I am struggling to convey my admiration that Ms Marsons has managed to do it yet again - come up with an original plot, exploring a fascinating new topic while completely bamboozling me as to the killer's identity. Eleven books in and she is still delivering some of the best police procedurals around.

Kim & Bryant are called to the scene of a grisly murder in a park, where a well-dressed middle-aged woman has been tied to a
Helga
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all Angela Marsons’ books, the first chapter is enough to make you wish you could read the book in one sitting

The body of a retired professor is found sat on a swing at a playground, tied with barbed wire, an X carved on the back of her neck.
Kim Stone and her team begin their investigation and when more bodies are found, killed in a similar way, they know they are dealing with a clever serial killer.
But as they dig deeper, the answers they seek generate more questions. Can they unearth
Carolyn
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always look forward to each new book in the Kim Stone series. Angela Marsons, the author, has maintained each book at a high level. These are well-plotted mysteries of excellent quality and the types of crimes vary from book to book. Child’s Play is the eleventh book featuring Kim Stone, and I admire the way the author has allowed Kim to grow in interpersonal skills and empathy throughout the series.

Kim is a brave and relentless investigator. Her colleagues are well-developed characters, and
Lou
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Child's Play is the eleventh book in the Detective Kim Stone series, and I'll just go ahead and say it — this is the most gripping, fascinating and exhilarating so far. Each instalment can be read independently of one another, however, I couldn't imagine anyone being content with just reading one. When a slew of brutal ritualistic killings take place in the local vicinity Kim is called in to investigate. She discovers a link between each of the victims — they were all associated with tournaments ...more
Hans
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another thrilling addition to the Kim Stone series by the queen of thrillers. Tis time it's about child prodigies and their family life. I was hooked from start to finish. More Kim Stone please!

If ever you want to read a thriller series make it this one. It's easily the best series out there at the moment!
Sean Peters
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Firstly, I was surprised that I had fallen behind on this series, bought number 12 in the series, then released I had missed number 11. !

Late one summer evening, Detective Kim Stone arrives at Haden Hill Park to the scene of a horrific crime: a woman in her sixties tied to a swing with barbed wire and an X carved into the back of her neck.

The victim, Belinda Evans, was a retired college Professor of Child Psychology. As Kim and her team search her home, they find an overnight bag packed and
Adrian Dooley
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another Kim Stone novel and yet again another cracking read. The story is very plot and story driven, with not as much time given this time to Kim’s personal life and her professional life with her team, but that’s no bad thing per say.
Things move at a very fast pace throughout with an ending that should satisfy the vast majority of readers. These books are just so bloody readable.

You do wonder how long Miss Marsons can keep pumping out these books. We’ve reached book 11 in no time and you do
Rachel Gilbey
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow Wow!!! How did I not see any of that coming! I mean I know the series is awesome, but how on earth does Angela Marsons keep coming up with such difference crimes and scenarios, and aspects of life to look into.

And just discovering more about the lives of the victims and their families was fascinating.

For a change we only have one insight into the murder's head, in the prologue, so you get perhaps a feel for what may be motivating things... but how it all links into the
Alan Cotterell
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019

This one is a little different in that there are 2 distinct plotl ines/investigations. Firstly the main one involving Kim and her team (plus the new addition TiffanyTinkerbell – hopefully she returns), investigating a series of gruesome murders, with an intriguing and thought provoking plot. Penn also gets his own case, and we learn a bit more about him. The downside to

• Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)
  • Darkness on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #10)
  • Two Victims (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 2)
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • The Unlucky Ones (Jessica Daniel, #14)
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn #6)
  • Penshaw (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #13)
  • Final Betrayal (Detective Lottie Parker, #6)
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • The Dare (Detective Natalie Ward #3)
  • Bold Lies (DI Kelly Porter, #5)
  • The Girl in the Grave (Beth Adams, #1)
  • Whisper in the Night (Detectives Kane and Alton #6)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • Break the Silence (Detectives Kane and Alton, #7)
Angela is the author of the Kim Stone Crime series. She discovered a love of writing at Primary School when a short piece on the rocks and the sea gained her the only merit point she ever got.
Angela wrote the stories that burned inside and then stored them safely in a desk drawer.
After much urging from her partner she began to enter short story competitions in Writer's News resulting in a win and

D.I. Kim Stone (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Silent Scream (D.I. Kim Stone, #1)
  • Evil Games (D.I. Kim Stone, #2)
  • Lost Girls (D.I. Kim Stone, #3)
  • Play Dead (D.I. Kim Stone, #4)
  • Blood Lines (D.I. Kim Stone, #5)
  • Dead Souls (D.I. Kim Stone, #6)
  • Broken Bones (D.I. Kim Stone, #7)
  • Dying Truth (D.I. Kim Stone, #8)
  • Fatal Promise (D.I. Kim Stone, #9)
  • Dead Memories (D.I. Kim Stone, #10)