Start by marking “Everyday Information Architecture” as Want to Read:
Everyday Information Architecture

Everyday Information Architecture

(A Book Apart #29)

The design of information on the web changes the way people find, understand, and use that information—for better or for worse. Lisa Maria Martin shows you how to leverage the principles and practices of information architecture in order to craft more thoughtful and effective digital spaces. Learn how to analyze your site’s content and structure, build clear and consistent ...more
Published April 16th 2019 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Information Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday Information Architecture

Start your review of Everyday Information Architecture
Anne
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, owned
I'm a three-time failure at reading the Polar Bear Book.

I'm also a Principal Information Architect with 10 years' experience.

I'm not telling you not to read the Polar Bear Book. I am telling you that if you want a short, direct, and well-structured book on what Information Architecture is, how to get started practicing it, and real-world examples of prior work, this is the book to start with.

It is the IA cohort to The Elements of Content Strategy.

I started this book while sitting in a
Ron Bronson
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, I used to read the author's feminist blog with deep exegesis on Star Trek episodes, so I'm probably not objective.

But this is the definitive book meant for all types of audiences on the importance of information architecture. So much of the web proliferates with people who think design is all about making things more pixel perfect and short shrifting all of the component parts of what makes a site and what people visit it for.

In a world where a lot of people still don't
Patty
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great book from A Book Apart! Although I'm not a web developer and might not ever be, I enjoy reading about web developer things and learning why certain things about certain websites drive me crazy. This one was written in a super conversational style and was very funny! And with lots of great examples and illustrations. I'll keep buying and reading A Book Apart's books because they're good, and they look great lined up on the shelf.
Asia Hoe
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm working on an information architecture project right now, so there are a lot of practical applications for the strategies and deliverables in this book. I enjoyed the examples and case studies and loved the humor, anime references, and insistence on designing with ethics. I definitely want to read more on the subject as a result of reading this.
Patrick Wiseman
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful and quick read on the basics for information architecture. A fairly easy read despite perhaps what I don't personally consider altogether interesting subject matter. Well chosen examples highlight the impact a little attention to information architecture can improve your work products.

Reminds me a lot of "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug.
Lizelle Galaz
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Information isn’t neutral; neither are the choices we make about how to present it, structure it, write it, juxtapose it, or classify it. Every design decision makes an impact; it’s just a question of whether we can stand up and own that impact.”

This is a fantastic book that should be required reading for anyone designing, writing, or managing any bit of digital space.
Patrick Torres
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful. Martin takes what would be a very boring topic and makes it compelling and entertaining. Blending her practices with best in class examples, the author systematically breaks down the components of IA and origination. If you're a designer I highly suggest this book.
Scott
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful in thinking about how to dissect and organize information.
Bryan Ye
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't usually enjoy technical books but Martin has won me with this one. A short but sweet overview of information architecture with the author's personality truly shining through.
Katherine
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quick, approachable, and decidedly practical. I’m preparing for my first IA-intensive project in awhile, and this was a great refresher.
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
An excellent, pithy, humorously written crash course to information architecture in the digital age. Highly recommended.
Becks
May 04, 2019
Kathryn Deming
Sep 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ruined by Design: How Designers Destroyed the World, and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • Conversational Design
  • The Lives of Edie Pritchard
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Resilient Management
  • With or Without You: A Novel
  • Road Sides: An Illustrated Companion to Dining and Driving in the American South
  • The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers