Start by marking “Sisters by Choice” as Want to Read:
Sisters by Choice

Sisters by Choice

(Blackberry Island #4)

Cousins by chance, sisters by choice…

After her cat toy empire goes up in flames, Sophie Lane returns to Blackberry Island, determined to rebuild. Until small-town life reveals a big problem: she can’t grow unless she learns to let go. If Sophie relaxes her grip even a little, she might lose everything. Or she might finally be free to reach for the happiness and love that
Published February 11th 2020 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Sisters by Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters by Choice

Start your review of Sisters by Choice
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Eight years after her divorce, Sophie Lane still wasn't very good at dating. She supposed she only had herself to blame - if she really 'put herself out there,' as her cousin Kristine was always saying, she could find someone.

From Sophie's point of view, there were multiple problems with that statement. First, Kristine had married her high school sweetheart after graduation and had been happily married for the past sixteen years. She wasn't exactly someone who should be giving dating
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

“I’ll be fine. You have eight kids to deal with. They would die without you.” Kristine laughed. “It’s three kids.” “When I visit, it feels like more.”

He sure was pretty, she thought absently. He must work out a lot to get shoulders and arms like that. Given the fact that the Lord gaveth and tooketh away in equal measure, she could only assume he had the IQ of a tree stump but that was okay. Sometimes pretty was plenty.

“You’ll be fine,” the woman added. Sophie nodded because
Shalini
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading a Susan Mallery book after so long was like coming home to a warm hug. The story was about three women closer than most friends, sisters bound by their hearts.

Sophie lost her factory in fire, so she moved home to Blackberry Island to be with her family Kristine, who was a stay at home mom but had her own dreams which were yet unfulfilled. Heather wanted to break free but her mum had an emotional hook into her.

Being down with fever, I needed a book which would distract me from my aches
Zoe
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sisters by Choice is a lovely, heartfelt, astute tale that delves into the dynamics of families and relationship and reminds us that everyone who enters our lives, good or bad, shapes us in some ways.
Janet
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Cousins by chance, sisters by choice…

After her cat toy empire goes up in flames, Sophie Lane returns to
Owl._.
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
So ... this is a hard review to write. I usually love Susan Mallerys books - light, hearted, fun reads. This latest one though, whew ... it was hard to finish. I really did not care for this story at all. The characters were so unlikeable - you just wanted to shake them. The only one that seemed to have a backbone was Kristine - I found myself rooting for her. The other women came across as sniveling, weak and entitled - you just wanted them to fail so they would grow up.

You can't win them all
Sonia Reppe
I can't share my review since it belongs to Library Journal. I like Mallery and I fly through her books. This one I didn't love because the toxic relationships were draining to read.
Kathy
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Sisters by Choice by Susan Mallery is an emotionally compelling novel of new beginnings. This newest release is the forth installment in the Blackberry Island series but can be read as a standalone.

Thirty four year old Sophie Lane returns to Blackberry Island after a fire destroys her business. She is grateful to have the support of her cousin Kristine Fielding but Sophie is struggling with rebuilding her business. Overwhelmed by starting over, she impulsively hires her twenty year
Tiffany Foskey
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bestseller right here!!!!!!! Love most of Susan Mallery's books and this one is no exception. It has her signature style of pulling you into the story, the characters lives, and just making you fall in love with them too!!!! Thank you to Mira Publishing for my honest review
Michele
See the full review at HarlequinJunkie

Life moved in unforeseen directions, friendships were tested, and important lessons were learned and implemented by the characters in Sisters by Choice, a new entertaining Blackberry Island novel by Susan Mallery.

Sisters by Choice brought us back to beautiful Blackberry Island where we followed three women on very different but intersecting personal journeys. Sophie, Kristine, and Heather were cousins, which could bring its own complications, but as with
Jacquie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Sophie Lane’s business empire goes up in smoke- literally- she makes the decision to move back home to Blackberry Island to make a fresh beginning. The factory is easy enough to find, but finding the right staff and regaining her hard-earned confidence takes more time.

Kristine (Sophie’s cousin) married right out of school, had kids, the house with the white picket fence, a loving- mostly- husband, and a budding enterprise as a baker. She dreams of opening a bakery and running her own
ROBIN RUIZ
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“ That’s how we make the world a better place . One person at a time.”
Sophie, Kristine , and Heather. 3 cousins living on Blackberry island. All at different changing points of their lives. Should they go , stay, reach for their dreams, dream big .
All three of them have a few trouble spots they are dealing with, ones that can and will change the direction of their lives .
Written in Susan Mallerys style. I loved the dynamic between these cousins, who are as close as sisters and the whole island
Sara Jo
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I love Susan Mallery but this time, her characters were just not likable! Sophie was a gigantic pain in the butt and I could NOT stand her! Heather was a doormat. Kristine was the only saving grace but her husband was an idiot. The story was okay otherwise.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Beatrice Followill
Whenever I pick up a book by this author I know I'm in for a treat .I love how she takes fun , strong willed woman with complex issues and weaves a story that is intriguing and fun to read.
Norma
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This BlackBerry island Book #4 by Susan Mallery, doesnt disappoint. She captures women at their best emotions, risks, letting go and finding true freindships within each other whether they are related or not.
We meet three close knit cousins and who couldve been sisters because of their loyalty to each other.Sofie, relocates from her Los Angeles home where her booming Cat Product office business goes up in flames, and now has to move back home to BlackBerry island in WA. to relocate all over
JoAnne
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Vintage Mallery taking us back to a place we've been before, this time Blackberry Island, Washington. The strong female characters have a depth to them and we learn about them a little at a time as they interact with others or even self reflect on their lives or actions. The story ebbs and flows with lots of emotions and beautiful scenic descriptions. I liked the inclusion of the cats in the story. The book has a beautiful cover.

Sophie returns home to the island, where she still has family,
Sarah I
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because her characters and her story line are believable. Her story made me laugh at times and at times it made me angry, but I really enjoyed the relationship between Sophie, Kristine and Heather. They were "Sisters by Choice" and also family!!
This Blackberry Island novel is about three cousins, Sophie, Kristine, and Heather, who are very close and always there for each other. Sophie micromanages everything, Kristine lives for her family and tries to always make them happy,
Anita Perry
I enjoy Susan Mallery's books because she sets her characters in believable and relatable situations. I had a hard time with some of the characters in this story.

This book is the story of Sophie, Kristine, and Heather. Sophie Lane is a self made entrepreneur who starts a cat toy business. Sophie's business has a setback when it burns down, and she relocates back to Blackberry Island to be near her cousin Kristine. Kristine is a mom who is trying to start her dream bakery,but has to balance the
Taryn
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Things were going well for Sophie Lane until the night her cat toy business burnt to the ground. With nothing keeping her from leaving Sophie decides to move back home to Blackberry Island and rebuild her business. She soon learns that she has to make some changes within herself if she is to succeed in business and in life. With all the things she has had happen in her life she has a hard time letting go. Is she willing to make the changes needed in her life so that she can truly be fulfilled or ...more
Olivia
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-reviews
SISTERS BY CHOICE is another engaging women's fiction by Susan Mallery. Here, we follow cousins who were raised like sisters. Sophie is an internet sensation turned entrepreneur, who started with videos of her cat that she turned into a business selling cat-related products. Her offices and warehouse burned down, and so she has returned to the island to start fresh. However, she seems to be determined to get in her own way with trying to do every single job- big and small- instead of focusing on ...more
Marti
Sisters By Choice is the newest book of Susan Mallery. I love Susan Mallery books because she is always able to write female characters. She allows you to see the characters whole with their flaws, foibles, and goodnesses. The care that she puts into each character shows you how much she wants you to love her stories. This is the fourth book in the Blackberry Island series.

Sophie, Heather, and Kristina are sisters by choice. They are cousins that grew up mostly together and have come to rely on
Jennifer Brown
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Yay! Another good one that I got sucked into each time I picked it up!! While it was entertaining and well written, I took off half a star because I can't believe how one character got away with so much!

*SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD**

This story is told from the point-of-views of cousins Sophie, Kristine and Heather. I liked how each cousin was different and had their own flaws and needed to grow/learn something about themselves. Heather's mother Amber is actually the cousin but the story is
Marybeth
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. As book 4 in this series, you don't have to read others to enjoy it, but you should because, well they're really good. And it's Susan Mallery after all. This is a nice, easy read that I was able to read in one sitting. Full of heartwarming and charming moments, even though there was a lot going on in each of the women's lives, it was still quite humorous at times as well. I liked getting to know the 3 main characters, Heather, Kristine and Sophie, and was pulling for ...more
Miriam
Three driven, ambitious cousins are the main characters in this dramatic book about love, family, and trust. Learning to let go, to trust, to be responsible for their own futures, these cousins learn many valuable life lessons as they knit together family and business.

Susan Mallery draws you into her stories with broad strokes and loves to love. You can relate to the characters she creates and see yourself in many of their strengths and weaknesses.

No, you don’t need to read the series in order,
Brenda
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
You know you are invested in a book when your first thought upon waking up is that you can finish your books after work ;) Seriously, I did not want to put this book down! I was cheering, groaning in frustration, and back to cheering. Loved this story and the characters and now that I've read this book, I need to go back and read the 1st three in the series :) I've always enjoyed Susan Mallery's books and this one was wonderful!
Mary Fowler
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all of Susan Mallery’s books, I enjoyed reading Sisters by Choice.

Each of the three main characters has flaws and issues they need to work through. Their love and desire to help each other is apparent. In the end, all three have a positive solution, though not what they may have expected.

In Sisters by Choice Susan, with her unique writing style, shares all the emotions that come with dealing with family.
Moony MeowPoff
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
I really liked this book, we got so many different perspectives and different characters and it was very easy to follow them and i ended up liking them very fast, all of them had different flaws but that made them seem more human and likable. Well expect Amber, i really wanted to shake her hard.
Mhughessc
As a long-time fan of Susan Mallery's books, I was excited to receive an ARC of "Sisters by Choice." Unfortunately, I do not think this book holds up to Mallery's high standards. The main character was very unlikable, and I wasn't sure why the reader should even like her, let alone root for her to succeed. Thankfully, several of the auxiliary characters were more enjoyable to read about. Also, several of the relationships in this novel had very immature "obstacles" to overcome. Overall, this ...more
Kathleen Gray
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie, Kristine, and Heather are three women with goals- different goals but goals they are working hard to meet. Sophie owns her own company but she's destroying all the best of it because she's a control freak-until she meets Bear, who is willing to stand up to her and Dugan, who is more than a tai chi instructor. Kristine wants her own bakery but her husband Jaxson is a dinosaur. Heather has to deal with her hateful mother Amber and feels she can't escape to go to college. If there's a flaw ...more
Jenn
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
I received a digital ARC of this title from Edelweiss for an honest review.

When Sophie's business goes up in flames, she decides to move back to her home on Blackberry Island to start over. There, her cousin Kristine is dying to start her own business, but her husband is going to be a problem. And Heather, daughter of Sophie and Christine's cousin Amber, has been trying to escape a life built on taking care of her mother....the mother who is capable, but unwilling to take care of herself.

Mallery

• The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • Almost Just Friends (Wildstone, #4)
  • The Way Back to You (Blessings, Georgia #9)
  • Critical Doubt (Off The Grid: FBI #7)
  • Whisper Network
  • Queenie
  • Tucker (The McBrides of Texas #2; Eternity Springs #17)
  • Country Strong (Painted Pony Creek #1)
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • Little Secrets
  • An Everyday Hero (Heart of a Hero #2)
  • Cowboy Courage (Longhorn Canyon, #6)
  • A Week at the Shore
  • The Other Mrs.
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • The New Husband
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • One Perfect Summer
#1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery writes heartwarming and humorous novels about the relationships that define women's lives—family, friendship, romance. She's best known for putting nuanced characters into emotionally complex, real-life situations with twists that surprise readers to laughter. Because Susan is passionate about animal welfare, pets play a big role in her books. ...more

Blackberry Island (4 books)
  • Barefoot Season (Blackberry Island, #1)
  • Three Sisters (Blackberry Island, #2)
  • Evening Stars (Blackberry Island, #3)
“Everyone gets to have dreams. Not just you.” 0 likes