Start by marking “Fanocracy: Turning Fans Into Customers and Customers Into Fans” as Want to Read:
Fanocracy: Turning Fans Into Customers and Customers Into Fans

Fanocracy: Turning Fans Into Customers and Customers Into Fans

A Wall Street Journal bestseller

From the author of New Rules of Marketing & PR, a bold guide to converting customer passion into marketing power.

How do some brands attract word-of-mouth buzz and radical devotion around products as everyday as car insurance, b2b software, and underwear? They embody the most powerful marketing force in the world: die-hard fans.

In this e
Published January 7th 2020 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Fanocracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fanocracy

Start your review of Fanocracy: Turning Fans Into Customers and Customers Into Fans
Hots Hartley
Jan 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
The book contains a lot of examples across a variety of industries and sectors. Having said that, it felt too much a reflection of the authors' lives and habits and not true applicable advice I can exercise in starting a business. Certainly, having read the anecdotes, the reader is free to draw her own conclusions and take lessons away from the book, but I don't think the actionable advice is direct, in the sense of a list of things to try. The tone of the book reads like an essay, where each ch ...more
Crystal King
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I've been a fan of David Meerman Scott's writing since I was a young PR pro decades ago. When I heard that Fanocracy was coming out I was thrilled. As someone with a background in a little cog-sci, I was intensely interested in the science (which his daughter, Reiko Scott, brings to the table) behind what makes people want to become fans. I have made some shifts in the way I market some of my own projects as a result of what I learned in this book, and have seen very positive results. It's a new ...more
Mizuki
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed listening to audiobook that is read by the authors themselves. Their narration sounds very positive, well-matched to the book contents. I feel like fanocracy is not very special but just honest and kind way of choice, both as a businessperson and a consumer. What is the most encouraging fact for me is, passion outside of my work is surely helpful for my work. I’d like to express my fandom more.
Stephen Stilwell
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The pendulum has swung too far in the direction of superficial online communications. How many hours do we spend feeling social on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook; often unaware that we’re interacting with automated bots? People are starving for true human connection. To the point that the relationship companies build with their customers is often more important than the products and services they sell to them.

Create a product or service that highlights how you can get closer to friends/family;
Hannah
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a lifelong fandom participant (comic cons, midnight book signings, buying merchandise, fan fiction etc), this book gets it right when considering the enthusiasm and loyalty of fandom! It is engaging throughout, easy to digest, and thought provoking.

From cover to cover, I enjoyed reading "Fanocracy" - which isn’t something I typically say about marketing books. The insights David and Reiko offer about harnessing passion as a marketing tool really resonated with my nerd self and I cannot wait
Cody
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the idea, but couldn't get into it and think I would have preferred a much shorter version. ...more
Richard
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FANOCRACY is not just another business book. It’s a revelation.

There is a fundamental truism of business that most people working today have never learned or have simply forgotten in our hyper-digitized world: regardless of the sector we are in, or the product or service that we offer, we are all in the business of relationships. Our success (and our failure) stems from our ability (or inability) to generate a true human connection in an increasingly dehumanized world.

FANOCRACY by the father/dau
Steve J
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s like some kind of inspirational soup for the Marketing Soul.

Fanocracy is an inspiration. Many marketing books describe a perfect scenario which often leaves me thinking, “That’s fine for them; they’re a big company. But my little company could never do it.” As you read Fanocracy, you say, “Hey, I could do that!”

Fanocracy is how you bring like-minded people together to celebrate what they love. And any company or organization can do it—including yours. Authors David Meerman Scott and his d
F Aljenaei
Good insights, stretched storytelling

Overall the idea of fanocracy and building fans is smart. I enjoyed some ideas and benefited, but found myself digging to figure out actionable advice. Here’s the breakdown:

Good takeaways:

- your brand should reflect your audience’s identity.
- 3.6 meters human proximity rule; getting within client’s social space will turn them into fans since they will feel they are part of the experience.
- hybrid lead magnet; offer clients totally free info/webinar etc. with
Grant Cousineau
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
It's certainly a unique idea, going beyond the concept of just satisfying customer needs or disrupting markets. The Scotts identify the central North Star for any company looking to maximize its customer service: by turning them into fans. The idea is that if customers love you like people love movies or music or books, or certain brands like Apple or the Green Bay Packers, they'll not only become lifelong loyal customers, but probably the strongest on-the-ground marketing component for your bus ...more
Hunter
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Looking to add value to your product or service? The future of interaction in an increasingly dehumanizing society.
The book Fanocracy: Turning Fans into Customers and Customers into Fans by David Meerman Scott and Reiko Scott divulges into the importance of developing meaningful relationships and fostering a unique connection amongst consumers. Some lessons I learned from completing this book include:

• Get to know your customers by taking advantage of what you have in common.
• Long term relatio
Katherine Blanco
Generously giving it a solid three stars

If you're from Red Sox Nation Reiko's simultaneous claims that she's from Boston and the Red Socks are *just*a baseball team are going to leave a bad taste in your mouth and you might find yourself swearing passionately. Just a warning in case there are kids around...
As for the rest of the book, each chapter opens with an example of fandom that is totally overlooked and not discussed for the rest of the chapter. Pointless anecdotes that you didn't need to
Laura Skladzinski
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and the conversational style in which it was written. The authors used a lot of different examples (though some where a bit repetitive), and I found it to be a nice storytelling compilation of case studies; however, there wasn't really a solid summary of overall advice, and some of the examples seemed a bit lucky (i.e., there were probably other stories of companies who took the same tactic but failed to build a fanocracy). ...more
Mary Mondragon
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book contains useful reflections about different elements of businesses that help turn customers into fans. However, throughout the book we are forced to look at the authors’ experience and interpretation of situations and accept them as the “only way”, because they have not completed their thoughts with published research from others to help confirm or discuss their own views. That part was lacking.
Kirk Hanley
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of interesting stories from companies and organizations that have found ways to engage with their audience. But I feel like these anecdotes could have been tightened up a bit since they hit the same points multiple times. I also would have liked more actionable tips. But still, it is a good thought started for building a base of loyal fans.
Steve Garvin
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: relationships
Authors David and Reiko Scott master the art of storytelling to fan the flames around creating a fanocracy. While the term might seem a bit like hyperbole, the stories and concepts shared throughout the book reveal building real connections between customers and businesses is not only valuable but also attainable.
Ashley Stachura
It took me over a month to finish this one and now that I have finished it, I can point to the reason why. It felt very repetitious. The concept is very interesting and the tactics given are useful but I think a long-form blog post would have done the trick! I did grab some good highlights and do plan to revisit them when working through some strategic planning.
Franck Vinchon
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My purpose put in words

I work on igniting fandom with my brand consultancy since 5 years. Neon42. Would it be the book I should have written back then? Surely. I would have had some methodologies, this is what I do specifically for each my client...and I would be happy to talk about that with the authors. Nice job...starting to be a fan.
Nikki Robbins
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
The overall message of this book is spot on and the authors share really great examples of why it’s so important to make business personal and to find a shared passion with employees and customers. I would have liked some kind of acknowledgement of the tension between showing genuine interest in/forming relationships with customers and the challenges of scaling a business with that same mindset.
Karlie Robinson
The technical info was good, but it was too bogged down in personal stories* that felt a little too 1%. I don't think I can recommend this book to my business clients. Most of them just won't be able to relate to the authors.

*I don't want to know someone's underpants preference. Seriously!
Laura Dee
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5

Some really interesting insights into how to stand out as a business and acquire a fandom! So many different types of fandoms from Grateful Dead to Brookline Booksmith, Harry Potter, RVCA, and more.
Donald Lanham
Apr 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A discussion of the psychology behind fandom, why a fan base is preferable to a customer base and how to create a fan base. Many examples of companies that have successfully developed a fan base are cited.
Widad
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Useful
Reem
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting and easy to read book, packed with practical and real cases and examples that definitely inspire readers about the concept of fandom and how to utilize it in business
keshav
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Quite a simple insight
Will Healy III
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. The concepts within are easily applicable and relatable to real life. And the personal stories made me a Fan of David & Reiko.
Giulia Cacciatore
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fanocracy è un manuale di marketing, ma spiega più di una semplice tecnica di vendita. La Fanocracy, ovvero il tema centrale di tutto il libro, è il futuro dei business. Il principio è lo stesso che si basa sulla brand advocacy: stupire il cliente con una esperienza talmente sublime da farlo tornare ancora e da spingerlo a parlare del brand con chi conosce. Nel caso della Fanocracy, però, questo meccanismo nasce dalle passioni comuni, da ciò che unisce le persone, da ciò che dà identita agli ess ...more
Jim Fuhs
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fanocracy Rocks

David and Reiko connected with me in that I too have daughters a little younger than Reiko and I see the importance of businesses connecting with their fans, no matter what age. Having connected fans will help your business grow as well as let you understand the importance of understanding how you become a fan as well. We all seek to connect and this book lays out the how and why in great detail.
Justin
rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Permanent Record
  • The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life: Before 8AM
  • Born to Run
  • Henry I: King of England and Duke of Normandy
  • Hippos Go Berserk!
  • Early American Cinema in Transition: Story, Style, and Filmmaking, 1907–1913
  • Hey! Wake Up!
Our always-on, Web-driven world has new rules for competing and growing business. Advance planning is out – agile is IN! Those who embrace new ways will be far more successful than those who stay who stay stuck and afraid to change. No one knows more about using the new Real-Time tools and strategies to spread ideas, influence minds and build business than David Meerman Scott. It’s his specialty.

H