Start by marking “What She Saw Last Night” as Want to Read:
What She Saw Last Night

What She Saw Last Night

No one will believe ... WHAT SHE SAW LAST NIGHT.

Jenny Bowen is going home. Boarding the Caledonian Sleeper, all she wants to do is forget about her upcoming divorce and relax on the ten-hour journey through the night.

Published April 18th 2019 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about What She Saw Last Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What She Saw Last Night

Start your review of What She Saw Last Night
Paromjit
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mason Cross, the author of the brilliant Carter Blake series gives us a standalone crime thriller that has echoes of the old style crime classics. The central protagonist is an IT geek, Jenny Bowden, worn out by life's traumas, her father has recently died in Scotland and having discovered her husband, Eric's infidelity, she is now in the process of getting divorced. She only just manages by the skin of her teeth to board the Caledonian sleeper train service in London, travelling through the ...more
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did quite enjoy this book. The only downside was that about 3/4 of the way in it started to get a bit silly especially with the amount of deaths. I’ve never read a book with so many people dying. Other than that the rest of the book was good. It was a mystery about what really happened to Alice on the train. The ending was really good and I thought most of it was well written. A very interesting book and I look forward to reading more from this author.
Shalini
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one delicious book that I have read in recent times. Fast paced with a strong female protagonist, a good cop, bad guys, and a plot which moved with its own twists and turns.

Jenny was on a sleeper train, she helped a woman into her compartment, saw a child with her for a second, a tall man in the next compartment. The next day woman was dead, child was nowhere, and the tall man gone. No evidence of child or tall man anywhere on CCTV. Jenny started investigating along with the good cop
Suze Bickerton
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have long been a fan of MJ Cross, and his Carter Blake series which he wrote as Mason Cross. In fact, it was an appearance of his at Bloody Scotland, and my subsequent reading of The Killing Season and The Samaritan that reignited my passion for books, and particularly crime and psychological thrillers. So a big thank you to Mason - don't think I've ever told him that

So I was excited, and a little bit nervous, to hear he was going to be writing a standalone book, far away from the world of
Christie
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent story. A standalone. My only complaint and it is a huge one- We do not have Autopsies in the UK. We have post-mortems. I was reading a UK edition, so no excuses. This I would imagine s down to poor editing as in one sentence there is a switch from using term autopsy to post-mortem
Ellie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good!!
J L NICOL
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highland Lassie

A thoroughly enjoyable book which was very well written and kept the reader guessing all the way through the book. Considering that the new rolling stock for the Sleeper enters service in June this year is by the by because the old carriages are well past their prime.
You can feel how Jenny tries to understand what is happening to her by her actions and how the police try to downplay the initial crime but it just goes to show that with perseverance and a whole lot of luck what you
Ashy Khaira
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Susan Hampson
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Jenny Bowen is at her emotional lowest after the death of her father and discovery of her now estranged husband's infidelity but fate was cruelly going to throw something else in her way. Jenny was boarding the overnight sleeper train from London to her dad's former home in Glasgow when she helps a young woman with a little girl on the train. When in the night she leaves her cabin to go to the loo she sees the woman dead on the floor of her cabin and alerts the guard.
When the police arrive the
Bridget
DNF at 60% . Strong start but too large of a plateau to hold my interest.
Rachel Bridgeman
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: november
My thanks to the team at Orion and Tracy Fenton ofCompulsive Readersfor the blogtour invite and my gifted paperback review copy.

With echoes of'4:50 from Paddington'and an an intergral mystery launched in the very first chapter, you feel as if you are walking alongside narrator Jenny as she is dragged into a compelling, and unstoppable tale of a missing child that no one saw but her.

How reliable Jenny is as a narrator will be up to the individual reader to discern. but right from page one I was
Elaine Tomasso
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
It has been a difficult year for Jenny Bowen and she is returning to Fort William to settle her father’s estate. She thinks nothing of it when she stops to help a young woman and girl on the sleeper but has second thoughts when the next morning she finds the woman dead and the girl missing. The police think she imagined the girl, due to her bereavement, but she can’t let the matter rest.

I thoroughly enjoyed What She Saw Last Night which is an engrossing thriller with a few good twists and a high
Colette Lamberth
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of the Carter Blake series so after I got over my huff that this latest book was a standalone I read it knowing I’d be in safe hands with Mr Cross. Jenny just wouldn’t let it lie when nobody believes her account of what she saw. I could question some of her actions but in the spirit of it making a damn good story, I’ll just go with it. At every mention of Gregory Porter I had tunes by the jazz singer of that name playing out in my head so I was glad he wasn’t the main character.
Melody
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
MJ Cross has written the Carter Blake series under another name as Mason Cross. While I haven't read that series, this stand-alone has given me an idea how his writing is. And it turns out his style is precise and engaging; and the execution has a "cinematic" vibe to it.

The book opens with our protagonist, Jenny Bowen, boarding the Caledonian Sleeper back to her old home in Scotland. After finding out her husband's infidelity and following the recent death of her father, she decided that
Karen Huxtable
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
hank you to Tracy Fenton at Complusive Readers for my invitation to the tour and to Orion for my copy of the book in return for a fair and honest review.

I have recently had a bit of a break from Crime novels and I was instantly gripped by this one.

Jenny is travelling up to Scotland over night on the sleeper train and I felt a reminiscence of Murder on the Orient Express with a modern more gritty twist.

When Jenny finds a woman dead the next morning no-one believes that she saw a little girl in
Ruth
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers

In her search for her cabin, Jenny helps a panicked woman with a young girl she assumes to be her daughter. Then she finds her compartment and falls straight to sleep.

Waking in the night, Jenny discovers the woman dead in her cabin ... but there's no sign of the little girl. The train company have no record of a child being
Julie Lacey
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great read that builds up to a nail biting ending.
Jenny is travelling to Scotland on the overnight sleeper train and doesn’t realise but this journey will change her life.
As she gets to her room she sees a woman and a young girl and moves past her. In the morning she discovers the woman’s dead body, but there’s no sign of the little girl.
Jenny talks to the Police but after checking CCTV, there’s no evidence that the little girl got on the train.
The Police want to close the case but
Melanie’s reads
This was my foray into this author’s work and it started off very promising. Jenny has a lot on her mind with her fathers recent stroke and subsequent death and her cheating ex and looming divorce. But she’s adamant she saw a young girl before the apparent overdose of the presumed mother on the Caledonian sleeper.
However CCTV, room searches and interviews say there was no girl. Sergeant Mike is being coerced by DI Porter into just ruling it as a junkie overdose so they can move on. But good old
Mrs N E Lamb
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!

Loved this book, couldn't put it down until I got to the end, definitely not sure I want to go on the night sleeper now...
Natalie Sutherland
Loved it - the cameo appearance by Bye Bunny and the total-dad comment of "Boden clothes, or at least a good supermarket copy" made it for me ;)
Claire
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was a bit dubious about this book to start off with as I love Mason Cross’s Carter Blake serious and was worried that this wouldn’t be as good... I was wrong! I loved it from start to finish. All the characters were believable and the novel was full of suspense from the beginning until the end and at times I had difficulty putting it down. Highly recommend!
Karen Cole
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What She Saw Last Night begins with a chance moment, the sort of fleeting exchange between two people which would ordinarily be quickly forgotten about. Jenny Bowen is travelling to Scotland on the Caledonian Sleeper and as she boards, returns a dropped soft toy rabbit to the woman in another room; noticing as she does that she is accompanied by a little girl. There always seems something rather romantic about the sleeper train but Jenny's trip proves to be anything but when she wakes in the ...more
Janice
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I couldn’t put this one down! It grips you from the very beginning and doesn’t let up!

Jenny Bowen makes it onto the Caledonian Sleeper Train by the skin of her teeth, rushing onto the train, lucky that the doors are the old fashioned manual type that don’t close electrically, but are manually operated! Although she’s never actually booked a sleeping berth (sorry … they’re called ‘rooms’ now) before, a colleague has convinced her it’s the only way to travel overnight, and she’s succumbed to the
Julie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy, sinister and unsettling, What She Saw Last Night has terrifying echoes of Ethel Lina White and Alfred Hitchcock’s masterpiece of suspense, The Lady Vanishes and this fantastic thriller is guaranteed to send shiver after shiver racing down your spine.

Jenny Bowen just wants to shut the world away and forget about everything – especially her upcoming divorce. Travelling on the Caledonian Sleeper, Jenny is looking forward to a peaceful ten hour journey where she can rest and try not to
Penny
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Newly single Jenny Bowen has booked the sleeper train, she’s never been on it before and fancied it for a change. Maybe she should have listened to her work colleague Hannah who had said it was like sleeping in a cupboard.

She’s heading back to Scotland, her marriage has failed after Eric – Jenny’s soon to be ex-husband cheated on her, letting her know accidentally by sending her an intimate text he clearly meant for his new love interest.

Jenny’s dad died a few weeks before and she’s grieving
Jacob Collins
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What She Saw Last Night by MJ Cross is a rollercoaster of a read. When you start reading this book, you better make sure that you don’t have any immediate plans as you won’t want to put it down.

We meet our protagonist Jenny in the opening chapters of the book. She is travelling on the sleeper train from London to Scotland. But what she doesn’t realise is how much of an impact this journey will have on her life. During the journey, Jenny discovers the body of a woman she met while boarding, a
Kath
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author and, despite certain reservation I had along the way with this book, it has definitely piqued my interest in his other offerings, especially his Carter Blake series.
We start with Jenny Bowden just making the overnight sleeper train to Scotland. Fleeing her broken marriage she is returning home after the death of her father to sort out his affairs. En route to her cabin, she passes a one that is home to what she sees as a mother and daughter, stopping briefly
Gaby (GNTxREADs)
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tours, 2019
What She Saw Last Night is full of suspense and is one of those books you just won't be able to put down! MJ Cross dives straight into the drama and thrills of the storyline off the back of the synopsis which I loved because straight away I was reading beyond the expected events.

Jenny is a brilliant character to lead the way in working out exactly what happened to the young girl which appears to have disappeared completely. She is confident in what she believes, yet also somewhat reserved -
Noemi Proietti
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I had heard of MJ Cross before (he has written novels under the name Mason Cross), I never read any of his novels, so, when I was invited to join the blog tour, I accepted right away because I was really curious about this author and I was intrigued by the plot and I wasn’t disappointed.

Jenny Bowen hasn’t had an easy year. Her father died, her husband had an affair and they are now divorcing, and now she is running to catch the night-train to travel to Scotland to take care of the
Karen
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Heading to Scotland on the Caledonian Sleeper, Jenny Bowen encounters a stressed woman and a girl she assumes is her daughter. Not giving them a second thought, she locates her compartment only to wake during the night and find the body of the woman, seemingly the victim of an overdose. After speaking to the police, Jenny realises that there is a bigger mystery – where is the young girl? With no CCTV footage of her entering the train, she finds the authorities reluctant to believe her story. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Violet
  • The Pact
  • The Dilemma
  • The Other You
  • Ghoster
  • I Dare You
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • A Dark Matter
  • 17 Church Row
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Are You Watching?
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • Safe House
  • Gone
  • The Other People
  • Someone Is Lying
For the latest updates, exclusive giveaways and a free short story, join the Mason Cross Readers Club.

Mason Cross was born in Glasgow in 1979. He studied English at the University of Stirling and has worked variously as a tax officer, events coordinator, project manager and pizza delivery boy. He has written a number of short stories which have been published in Ellery Queen, Scribble and First