Start by marking “La sabiduría del corazón” as Want to Read:
La sabiduría del corazón

La sabiduría del corazón

Henry Miller, disciplinado lector y escritor voraz, pasó buena parte de su carrera escribiendo para diversas revistas y periódicos. En abril de 1939, Modern Mystic le encargó un artículo acerca de la obra del psicoanalista E. Graham Howe. Dos años más tarde, aquel ensayo sería publicado de nuevo en el volumen epónimo The Wisdom of the Heart, una colección de algunos de sus ...more
Published May 29th 2019 by STIRNER (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about La sabiduría del corazón, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La sabiduría del corazón

Start your review of La sabiduría del corazón
Tammy Marie Jacintho
Miller's essay on CREATIVE DEATH should be enough to own this book.

His voice carries intimations of Whitman and Emersonian thought. He digs deep into the poets, the philosophers— even into spiritual thinkers such as Krishnamurti. He tackles the Holy Ghost with symbolic significance and ease. His language thrusts us into the momentum of ideas as they begin to build beliefs... and a man.

Henry Miller surrenders. We perceive "the as-yet-unknown blossom," the "seasonal phenomenon" as he waxes and wa
Madelyn
Jun 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: 3rdand12th
this is my favorite book! i have re-read it over and over again since my freshman year "writing the essay" course. we were supposed to read academically-accepted, canonized or modern (i.e. susan sontag) essayists. but i saw this book and i knew: a lasting relationship was to be formed immediately. whenever i'm having trouble with an essay, i open up this book and the words i like come back to me, the ones that taste good and perhaps make my essays generally unacceptable to my professors. ask me ...more
Jukka
Wisdom of the Heart - Henry Miller
A collection of essays and some short fiction. Really enjoyed this. Again like Miller in general you will find this dry if your not into this sort of thing. Found the short fiction, The Alcoholic Veteran with the Washboard Cranium and the pieces on Balzac's Seraphita and Louis Lambert really interesting.
I love Seraphita, it is so much of a change (and strange) for Balzac, and Miller's thoughts are very helpful. Randomly i reflected back on two other strange and
Michael
Good Miller.
Cátia Vieira
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miller writes from the heart. He’s raw, honest and authentic. I know that I was destined to discover and love his work because he’s my reflection. «The Wisdom of the Heart», first published in 1941, is nothing but a collection of stories and essays that are told right from the heart. Paris, painters, writers, writing, identity and the soul are some of the topics Miller explores throughout this book. I don’t have much to say. Reading Miller is going back to my oldest friend, to my oldest companio ...more
Iria Garcia Lopez
One of the few books that really got into my heart and my soul. I feel so connected with this book. Miller reflects on our emotions, on the search for identity, growth, on what it means to live, to love, to suffer, and in essence to be human. He shares his philosophy, his wisdom, in his characteristic raw fashion but with exquisite sensitivity and depth. Two of my favourite quotes from the book, an appetizer for what is to be found: "I don't want my Fate or Providence to treat me well. I am esse ...more
Charles Samuels
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
My favorite Miller essays always begin with him making an utterly pretentious statement and then following it with quasi-Eastern-religious platitudes. Let's face it, he was completely full of shit. That is why I love him. That is why he is a genius. That is why you should read him too.
Isaias Garde
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
De la mano de Editorial Stirner, recibimos esta gran novedad: en edición y traducción de Víctor Olcina, La sabiduría del corazón de Henry Miller. El libro, aparecido originalmente en 1941, reúne una colección de impactantes ensayos y reflexiones acerca del arte y de la vida que plasman la desbordada y certera visión de este autor que, desde las márgenes pasó a ocupar un puesto clave en el ámbito cultural hasta convertirse en un clásico del siglo XX.

Henry Miller es el testigo ineludible de un ti
Melissa
Henry Miller often provokes many emotions in people. Depending on the book or books that they have read. I've always loved his collection of essays, "Stand Still Like the Hummingbird". So, I couldn't wait to finally get my hands on a copy of this book, "Wisdom of the Heart".

The first three essays in the book were quite good and got me hooked. Essentially they were about his philosophy that you must lose something of yourself to find something. To embrace the pain to find the pleasure. Right on t
Olivier Goetgeluck
"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware."

"No daring is fatal."
- René Crevel

"In the ultimate sense, the world itself is pregnant with failure, is the perfect manifestation of imperfection, of the consciousness of failure. In the realization of this, failure itself is eliminated."

"What is needed more than lifeboats is lighthouses. A fuller, clearer vision - not more safety appliances!"

"Normality is the paradise of escapeologists, fo
Kurt
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry Miller was an eclectic spiritual searcher whose mind was every bit as inquisitive and daring as his libido -- perhaps more so. Several essays in The Wisdom of the Heart rival the thought of Merton and Camus. This is a strong statement coming from me. I'm referring especially to Balzac and His Double, but also to Seraphita, both of which are illuminating discourses, not only on the writings of French novelist and self-proclaimed genius, Honore Balzac, but on the spiritual dimensions of art ...more
Aaron
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henry Miller is quite an outspoken reviewer in this compilation, of several of his contemporary and senior European writers and philosophers. This is only my second reading of Henry Miller, and is by far more clear than my previous attempt with Black Spring. Maybe the simple purpose of giving praise to those he deemed worthy provided a good break from the soul searching which is sometimes difficult to follow in a more serious work. It would be nice if the subjects with whom Miller writes were a ...more
Hobart Frolley
Pretentious, arrogant, misogynistic, psuedointellectual, hipster-spiritual drivel with only the boneheadedly self-projected shell of an appearance of substance....there are rare moments of beauty which is why this got a 2 instead of a 1, but it is the worst type of mid 20th century american writing. Pedantic, cloying, self-righteous....I can honestly say now after reading this that I will never read anything else by this author.
Henry Miller = Most Overrated Author I Have Read Yet....
Sorin Hadârcă
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miller
Greu de apreciat căci sub aceeași copertă coabitează o serie de eseuri (unele din ele șontăcăiesc spre ocultism) și vreo trei povestiri care-s de-a dreptul geniale. Rezumat: viața-i un purgatoriu, dar ne putem folosi imaginația pentru a ne crede în Rai.
Dennis R. Thompson
I feel a connection to this writing, whether it is the Tropics, or simply essays. I identify with the lewd, the obscene, and the gentle rages of the heart. I think it was the first book I ever loaned out that didn't return because it was so good.
Jessica Malice
I read this because I love Anaïs Nin SO MUCH. however instead of learning what she liked about him I only learned that Henry Miller is a pompous, pretentious ass. oh, wait..

well I never said Nin was without flaw.
Ron Khare
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: required-reading
Miller writes with such profound insight, it transcends the suffering he undertook to get there.
Tim
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the one book that "changed my life" more than any other, along with Siddhartha and a few others. Also was my first Henry Milller, and still his finest work in my eyes.
Jesse
Sep 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting collection of essays, good one to have on hand and keep reading as the moment hits you.
Jin Kim-peña
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome writing
Elleaura
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing philosophy!! <3 ...more
Andrew
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best Miller i have read....and yet still much to ruminate about whilst reading which is always good as it shows the book is at least engaging.
It's a book really made up of essays generally about writing or writers ..at worst it gives you desire to seek out works by the authors Miller himself holds in such esteem...at best you get tales of high living in low places.
Not maybe the best place to state with Miller as there is a risk at times of the subject matter in various essays being enthu
David W.  Berner
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Miller. And one of the best essays on writing I have ever read. "Reflections on Writing"
Shilo
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these essays were very profound, while others were a bit lack luster. It is worth the read for those really good ones. It is kind of like going fishing.
August Canaille
More hagiographies.
Hotspur
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excellent essays on Balzac and Lawrence.
Joanee
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t remember when I read this HM. Probably soon after I ran into him at the pancake house with Ed.
Iulia Ghinea
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Contribui la dezvoltarea, imbogatirea, evolutia si involutia cosmosului in fiecare zi, prin toate mijloacele. Daruiesc tot ce am de daruit, de bunavoie, si primesc cat de mult pot ingera. Sunt, in acelasi timp, si print si pirat.[..] Consider ca este destul loc pentru fiecare in lume, cu adancimi interspatiale mari, cu mari universuri egoiste, insule pe care sa le vizitezi, pentru oricine aspira la individualitate. La suprafata, unde se dau bataliile istorice, unde totul este filtrat prin prism ...more
Sarkastodon
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent writing as always from Miller, except a lot of dated and inside material in this book of essays that I am ignorant of. That which I know about and his short stories are pretty much fucking awesome.

• Pocket Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary
  • Clair de Femme
  • Promise at Dawn
  • Éducation européenne / La vie devant soi
  • The Palace of Dreams
  • Regele Solomon
  • Totem and Taboo
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches (Yuasa)
  • Η Αθήνα της μιας διαδρομής
  • Diario de 1926
  • El día del Watusi
  • 8 أعمال دوستويفسكي الأدبية: الجريمة والعقاب 1 ـ المجلد
  • 9 أعمال دوستويفسكي الأدبية: الجريمة والعقاب 2 ـ المجلد
  • Podróż ludzi Księgi
  • Embers
  • Love Is Not Enough
  • De magie van de liefde
  • Radical Self-Acceptance: A Buddhist Guide to Freeing Yourself from Shame
Henry Miller sought to reestablish the freedom to live without the conventional restraints of civilization. His books are potpourris of sexual description, quasi-philosophical speculation, reflection on literature and society, surrealistic imaginings, and autobiographical incident.

After living in Paris in the 1930s, he returned to the United States and settled in Big Sur, California. Miller's fir

News & Interviews

“The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware. In this state of god-like awareness one sings; in this realm the world exists as poem.” 41 likes
“When man becomes fully conscious of his powers, his role, his destiny, he is an artist and he ceases his struggle with reality.” 1 likes