Start by marking “Diana: Princess of the Amazons” as Want to Read:
Diana: Princess of the Amazons

Diana: Princess of the Amazons

(DC Zoom)

From New York Times bestselling authors Shannon Hale and Dean Hale comes a heartfelt story about making mistakes, learning the hard way, and growing up to become a hero.

Eleven-year-old Diana leads an idyllic life on the island of Themyscira. Cut off from the rest of the world, she's beginning to feel more and more isolated. Though she has a loving mother and many
Published January 7th 2020 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Diana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diana

Start your review of Diana: Princess of the Amazons
Amy Imogene Reads
This cute, middle grade graphic novel focused on Wonder Woman was full of heart.

Artwork:
Pacing:
Story:

Diana is the only child in a community of Amazon warrior women, and she's not exactly having the best time. To put it simply, she's bored. Life isn't exciting when you're the only kid in the world and all of the grown-ups are too busy to play.

So, upon hearing the origin story from her mother that Diana was formed from clay and a wish, Diana decides to make her own clay "friend." She molds
Chad
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Princess Diana is the only child on an island of immortal Amazons. No one has time for here and she feels neglected and alone. When she hears the story of how she was made of clay again, she decides to make her own clay best friend. That's where Mona comes in. However, she may not be the best influence on Diana...

This is a nice story for middle graders. The art is reminiscent of illustrated books for that age group with a bit of a cartoony, kidsy feel to it.

Received a review copy from DC and
Stacy Fetters
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
"I think I’d like people better if they all turned into adorable, fluffy animals."

Diana was a really cute middle grade graphic novel that kids will enjoy. We all know how Wonderful Woman turned out but it’s refreshing to see how she was when she was younger.
Bookishrealm
Soooo good! Check out my full review here: https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....
Darla
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic addition to the Wonder Woman titles with great cover appeal for the middle grade set. Diana feels neglected and unappreciated by all the Amazons and crafts her own playmate from discarded clay and sand and names her Mona. Diana gets a big surprise when her playmate comes to life. Will having a friend help Diana to grow and reach her goals? Some great reminders about our relationships with family and friends along with some young super hero action. Will appeal to kids who have loved ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Diana is too young to join in the activities of the other Amazons, and she has no companions her own age. She tries to fashion a friend for herself out of clay and sand, attempting to perform magic to breathe life into the figure, but her longing for a friend may plunge the entire island into chaos.

I loved this graphic novel! The artwork is colorful and vibrant, showing the clear action and the emotional responses of the characters. It really brings the story to life and creates an energetic
Rod Brown
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of variations on the origin of Wonder Woman and stories of her childhood on Themyscira in the Paradise Islands archipelago, but this one aimed at a kids audience may be one of the best.

An only child who has found herself a bit neglected as she flounders in that time between childhood and her teenage years, a lonely Diana, with a little bit of magic, literally makes herself a new friend. The trouble comes when that new friend turns out to have a mischievous streak.

The story
Cadence
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, graphic-novel
"I liked the book because the kids were having fun. The sand person ended up being bad and that scared me." -Cadee, age 7
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shannon Hale and Diana, Princess of the Amazons? How could that combo go wrong?

And true enough, this was a delightful telling of what Diana as a child must have gone through, with everyone being older than she, and her not being able to do the things she wanted to do.

The characters were all believable, well, as believable as a bunch of amazons could be, and a child created from clay.

It makes me want to read more stories about this version of Diana.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book
Jordan (The Heart of a Book Blogger)
This review and more can be found at The Heart of a Book Blogger.

Diana: Princess of the Amazons is a cute middle grade graphic novel. This story of course focuses on Diana as she’s growing up as the only child around all of the Amazons. She’s lonely since there’s no one her age and she misses her mother’s attention. She finally gains a friend when she brings a girl to life out of clay. It’s not all fun games and adventures, though, as soon this new friend starts getting her into mischief and
Cathryn
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-challenge
Great story and cute art!
Diana
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, and not only for obvious reasons. :)
Murray
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
A Wonder Woman origin story geared for 8-12 year old children. Diana is lonely and that she is either too old or too young for somethings so she decides to make a playmate out clay and breath life into her. Mona comes to life and Diana is happy again, but Mona starts asking Diana to take risky choices like opening Doom's Doorway that has various monsters sealed away. Mona and Diana do the unthinkable and Diana and the rest of the Amazons discover that Mona is more than she appears to be. A fun ...more
Jena
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
This is one of the few DC Ink/Zoom titles written by novel writers that:

1. Feels like it's actually targeted to the correct age.
2. Is accessible for new readers.
3. Captures the essence of the hero.

Seems like low bars to jump over, but here we are. This is a very simple but effective story aimed at a middle grade audience. Now that Diana is 11, she's caught in the awkward place between childhood and becoming a teenager. She's self-sufficient, but lonely. She's eager to prove herself, but ignored
Debbie Ohi
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this. Diana, Princess Of The Amazons is not just a suspenseful and entertaining coming-of-age story about a young Wonder Woman, but it's also about friendship and finding one's place in the world. I especially enjoyed the friendship story thread, how Diana desperately yearns for a companion and does end up finding one....but her new friend begins making demands which initially seem fun but then make Diana increasingly uncomfortable. I wish I had read this book in my childhood; it might ...more
Shannon ✨
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a cute read!
Shan
Gave this a quick read to see whether Clare might like it, and I think she will -- as will any kid (or grownup!) who digs Wonder Woman, The Princess in Black, or Real Friends. Ying's art is charming and dynamic and Diana's concerns are very much those of a young woman figuring out her place in the world. Plus, all-female cast!

I could have gone for a slightly longer or more in-depth story, but perhaps there are more Diana stories in the works. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to handing this
Paul Decker
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received this book as an eARC from DC Comics via NetGalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

This middle grade graphic novel finds Diana as a lonely only child. Literally, there are no other children in her society. This is many years before she takes on the role of Wonder Woman. Diana is at that stage of her life where she feels the pull of two worlds. Childhood is starting to disinterest her. Dolls have been left behind.

Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing

From its cover to the final page, Diana: Princess of the Amazons is a pleasure to read and a joy to look at! Shannon and Dean Hale have taken the Wonder Woman mythology and, instead of trying to rewrite it (as seems to be the vogue), they have created a new story of a young Diana. It’s an excellent tale, too, full of danger, excitement, and a shocking plot twist. But it’s also instructive, teaching children that willful disobedience has consequences, and teaching adults about the importance of
Shelley
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Diana loves her island, her aunties and her mother, but feels left out and lonely as the island's only child, who is too old to be played with and too young to help. A plea for a playmate made out of clay, like her, goes awry, and Diana has to help fix what she's helped cause. This was a complete and utter delight, gorgeous art and gorgeous writing. Every bit of it is relatable to kids, with a really lovely ending.
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
Read this one chapter at a time with my five year old at night time. We both adored it and want another one immediately. It is a great addition to the Wonder Woman universe with Shannon Hale's signature blend of action, humor, feelings, and girl power.
Rivulet027
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was completely adorable!
Gabrielle L
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
Louise
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: robin-reads
I read this with my 6 year old and we both really liked it. Totally age-appropriate and with great monster-designs.
Fay
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This is so cute, the plot and the artwork are the best. I could read this everyday forever and be happy.
Julie
Really fun, really cute, lovely art.
Chloe
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to come.

Rating - 4/5
K Whatsherface
Cute. Good one for kids
Natalie S
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Got this to give to my sister, but upon seeing it I just had to check it out! First of all the art is super well done, and secondly the story is also really good. It is definitely aimed at kids, but was still a really fun read!
Mariam
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Little Diana proves to her mother and the rest of the Amazons that she's not a child anymore and discovers her place among the Amazons. 5 stars because Diana is the best.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Wonder Woman: Warbringer (the Graphic Novel)
  • Shadow of the Batgirl
  • Zatanna & the House of Secrets
  • Go with the Flow
  • Bo's Magical New Friend (Unicorn Diaries #1)
  • Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)
  • The Okay Witch
  • The Runaway Princess
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • The Oracle Code
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • I Survived The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (I Survived Graphic Novel #1): A Graphix Book
  • Unplugged and Unpopular
  • Field Trip
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's ...more

DC Zoom (10 books)