Start by marking “Diana: Princess of the Amazons” as Want to Read:
Diana: Princess of the Amazons

Diana: Princess of the Amazons

(DC Zoom)

From New York Times bestselling authors Shannon Hale and Dean Hale comes a heartfelt story about making mistakes, learning the hard way, and growing up to become a hero.

Eleven-year-old Diana leads an idyllic life on the island of Themyscira. Cut off from the rest of the world, she's beginning to feel more and more isolated. Though she has a loving mother and many
Published January 7th 2020 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Diana, please sign up.

Start your review of Diana: Princess of the Amazons
Amy Imogene Reads
This cute, middle grade graphic novel focused on Wonder Woman was full of heart.

Artwork: ★★★
Pacing: ★★★★★
Story: ★★★★

Diana is the only child in a community of Amazon warrior women, and she's not exactly having the best time. To put it simply, she's bored. Life isn't exciting when you're the only kid in the world and all of the grown-ups are too busy to play.

So, upon hearing the origin story from her mother that Diana was formed from clay and a wish, Diana decides to make her own clay "friend."
Chad
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Princess Diana is the only child on an island of immortal Amazons. No one has time for here and she feels neglected and alone. When she hears the story of how she was made of clay again, she decides to make her own clay best friend. That's where Mona comes in. However, she may not be the best influence on Diana...

This is a nice story for middle graders. The art is reminiscent of illustrated books for that age group with a bit of a cartoony, kidsy feel to it.

Received a review copy from DC and
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was alright! I'm not a huge superhero fan, but I do usually enjoy the graphic novels more like this, that aren't part of any existing comic canons and just tell origin stories or whatever. Unfortunately, I just thought this was a bit boring? But I did give it a 3.5 and decided to round up to 4 because, in all fairness, I'm not the target audience for this book and I think a lot of kids would LOVE it!
Diz
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This graphic novel addresses the feelings that kids have when they start to feel abandoned as they grow up. When they are little adults make a lot of fuss about them, but when they get to upper elementary age, the excitement dies down and parents get distracted with life. I felt that this story dealt with this issue very well.
Stacy Fetters
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
"I think Id like people better if they all turned into adorable, fluffy animals."

Diana was a really cute middle grade graphic novel that kids will enjoy. We all know how Wonderful Woman turned out but its refreshing to see how she was when she was younger.
L. McCoy
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who wanna get their kids into Wonder Woman!
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
I think Id like people better if they all turned into adorable, fluffy animals.
Me too...
This was alright I guess.
I enjoyed the cute art (especially on the animals). I didnt like the frequent making of terrible decisions.
I know Im a lot older than the books intended audience so keeping that in mind I suppose its probably a nice little comic to show kids a story about Diana being a kid or whatever.
Not anything I considered amazing but it probably works for the target audience.
Shreya Karnati
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Diana and all the artwork are all really cute!
nova ☼
three stars. | take my rating with a grain of salt; i am not the target audience. i think middle grade kids will enjoy this a lot more than i did.
Bookishrealm
Soooo good! Check out my full review here: https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....
Darla
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic addition to the Wonder Woman titles with great cover appeal for the middle grade set. Diana feels neglected and unappreciated by all the Amazons and crafts her own playmate from discarded clay and sand and names her Mona. Diana gets a big surprise when her playmate comes to life. Will having a friend help Diana to grow and reach her goals? Some great reminders about our relationships with family and friends along with some young super hero action. Will appeal to kids who have loved ...more
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Diana is too young to join in the activities of the other Amazons, and she has no companions her own age. She tries to fashion a friend for herself out of clay and sand, attempting to perform magic to breathe life into the figure, but her longing for a friend may plunge the entire island into chaos.

I loved this graphic novel! The artwork is colorful and vibrant, showing the clear action and the emotional responses of the characters. It really brings the story to life and creates an energetic
Rod Brown
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of variations on the origin of Wonder Woman and stories of her childhood on Themyscira in the Paradise Islands archipelago, but this one aimed at a kids audience may be one of the best.

An only child who has found herself a bit neglected as she flounders in that time between childhood and her teenage years, a lonely Diana, with a little bit of magic, literally makes herself a new friend. The trouble comes when that new friend turns out to have a mischievous streak.

The story
Zoe
I get way to in depth about all the reasons I would've killed to have this when I was a kid, and it's kind of depressing so...

Diana grew up on Themyscria, an idyllic beautiful island (leading to some very pretty art work). She grew up with everything in she ever wanted. Except for a friend. She feels like she's stuck in the middle of the childhood she remembers and all the adults that still baby her.
"It seems like I'm either too old or too young for everything"
If I'd had this when I was 10.
Taschima
𝓞𝓦𝓛𝓼 𝓡𝓮𝓪𝓭𝓪𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓷 2020- 𝓟𝓸𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼

THIS WAS THE CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER READ!

It took no time at all to read and the story was well worth it. It touched my crabby old heart and left me feeling bright and happy. It is both for children and adults as it has content that speaks to both audiences while being a fun and heartwarming story.

Diana is princess of the Amazons; the only child in the entire island. You can see how this can be lonely as there is no one to play with or relate to. Her mother is too
Steff Pasciuti
| Reader Fox Blog |

Diana: Princess of the Amazons is an excellently woven origin tale of Wonder Woman by Shannon and Dean Hale, gorgeously illustrated by Victoria Ying. Living on the island of Themyscira, Diana knows little of the truth behind her existence. What she does know, however, is that she is constantly surrounded by adult warriors and in desperate need of a friend. So, one day, when she learns the truth of how she came to be, Diana decides to take matters into her own hands. Maybe
Jordan (The Heart of a Book Blogger)
This review and more can be found at The Heart of a Book Blogger.

Diana: Princess of the Amazons is a cute middle grade graphic novel. This story of course focuses on Diana as shes growing up as the only child around all of the Amazons. Shes lonely since theres no one her age and she misses her mothers attention. She finally gains a friend when she brings a girl to life out of clay. Its not all fun games and adventures, though, as soon this new friend starts getting her into mischief and trouble.
Jason Carpenter
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book. Definitely appropriate for kids. I will say that it kinda has some conflicting messages about trust and friendship, so just be aware of that. But I thought the overall story was good, and the moral, though a little bit complicated, was a good one.
Chelsea (thepageprincess)
3.75*

This is so cute. I liked this a lot! I am really getting into Wonder Woman.
Cadence
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, graphic-novel
"I liked the book because the kids were having fun. The sand person ended up being bad and that scared me." -Cadee, age 7
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shannon Hale and Diana, Princess of the Amazons? How could that combo go wrong?

And true enough, this was a delightful telling of what Diana as a child must have gone through, with everyone being older than she, and her not being able to do the things she wanted to do.

The characters were all believable, well, as believable as a bunch of amazons could be, and a child created from clay.

It makes me want to read more stories about this version of Diana.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book
Diana
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, and not only for obvious reasons. :)
Cathryn
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story and cute art!
Piyali
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
So sweet. I needed to read something like this. It put a smile to my face.
Jesa Rachele Burgoyne
Believathon III: The Mystery of the Missing Maleficarum
Clue 8- The Backpack: Read a book by a new-to-you author

Wheel Picks for November 2020
Read a middle grade book
Murray
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
A Wonder Woman origin story geared for 8-12 year old children. Diana is lonely and that she is either too old or too young for somethings so she decides to make a playmate out clay and breath life into her. Mona comes to life and Diana is happy again, but Mona starts asking Diana to take risky choices like opening Doom's Doorway that has various monsters sealed away. Mona and Diana do the unthinkable and Diana and the rest of the Amazons discover that Mona is more than she appears to be. A fun ...more
Jena
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
This is one of the few DC Ink/Zoom titles written by novel writers that:

1. Feels like it's actually targeted to the correct age.
2. Is accessible for new readers.
3. Captures the essence of the hero.

Seems like low bars to jump over, but here we are. This is a very simple but effective story aimed at a middle grade audience. Now that Diana is 11, she's caught in the awkward place between childhood and becoming a teenager. She's self-sufficient, but lonely. She's eager to prove herself, but ignored
Julie
A nice, solid middle-grade story about Diana growing up on Themyscira. The art is nicely consistent and fits the story well, and the color palette is appealing.
Debbie Ohi
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this. Diana, Princess Of The Amazons is not just a suspenseful and entertaining coming-of-age story about a young Wonder Woman, but it's also about friendship and finding one's place in the world. I especially enjoyed the friendship story thread, how Diana desperately yearns for a companion and does end up finding one....but her new friend begins making demands which initially seem fun but then make Diana increasingly uncomfortable. I wish I had read this book in my childhood; it might ...more
Palos Heights Public Library
How would you feel if you were the only child on an island with only adults to keep you company? What if everyone knew you were destined to become something amazing, but you were not entirely sure you wanted to get there? What if you had no one to play with and no one to relate to day in and day out?
These are the feelings that plague Diana, the Princess of the Amazons. She has grown up her entire life hearing the story of how her mother gave her life out of clay. So, naturally, Diana decides
Lily Williams
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun and sweet story about the fierce and brave Wonder Woman. I loved the story and the fact that it took place at that age when she is feeling all those uncomfortable feelings about not being a kid or an adult... but with the added stress of being Wonder Woman. Beautifully illustrated!
Wonder Woman 1 1 Sep 21, 2020 05:23AM

• Wonder Woman: Warbringer
  • Batman: Overdrive
  • Go with the Flow
  • Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed
  • Doodleville (Doodleville, #1)
  • Primer
  • The Runaway Princess
  • The Oracle Code
  • Snapdragon
  • Nat Enough (Nat Enough #1)
  • DC Super Hero Girls: At Metropolis High
  • All My Friends Are Ghosts
  • Cub
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's ...more

DC Zoom (10 books)