Start by marking “Steamborn (Steamborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Steamborn (Steamborn, #1)

Steamborn

(Steamborn #1)

Jacob, a tinker's apprentice and sometime thief, has lived his entire life in the mountain city of Ancora, protected by the city walls. These towering barriers keep the Deadlands creatures at bay, but the monsters move higher into the peaks every year. More and more, they breach the defenses of the Lowlands while the Highlands rest easy.

A swarm overruns the walls and wre
Published November 29th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Steamborn, please sign up.
Rachel Stansel There are two sequels! Steamforged and Steamsworn. Both are only 3.99 for kindle :)

Start your review of Steamborn (Steamborn, #1)
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of the Get Through The Crap On Your Kindle You Stubborn Eejit reading challenge.

Ancora is a city perched in the mountains to protect its citizens from the monster far below. Jacob and Alice live in the slum area and witness daily raids by one or two of the smaller monsters: giant, swarming spiders that are getting more bold with every passing year.

The introduction to the premise of the novel was slow and boring and there was a distinct lack of atmosphere. Ancora, the city, sounds w
Shadowdenizen
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shadowdenizen by: NetGalley
Steampunk, though it's certainly been around for quite some time, is one of the hot new genres to check out, and "Steamborn" (the first book in a new trilogy by Eric Asher) is absolutely a stand-out new addition to the genre!

A fast-paced, exciting read, this book is engaging on many levels, and is suitable for fantasy/steampunk fans of all ages.

As the first book in a new series, it does a solid job of introducing both the characters and the world, and setting up the conflicts that are the crux
Shāfiya Mū
When I saw the cover for this book, I was immediately disgusted yet enthralled by it. Spiders are my nemesis, they freak me the frick out in the worst ways possible, yet I also find myself completely fascinated by them. So, naturally when I read that Steamborn by Eric R. Asher was a steampunk novel with these creepy crawlers, I knew that I absolutely had to check it out, and I’m very happy to say that it was a rewarding read!

Let me provide a brief disclaimer before I dive into the review. Steam
Bedelya (clockwork.bookdragon) Moreno-Roth
Wow what an incredible steampunk adventure! I loved all the mechanical marvels. The author did an excellent job describing them. I would love to have a pair of those sliding gloves the MC Jacob uses.

I was a bit unnerved by the intricate details of the horrifyingly large bugs that populate the world alongside humans. I don’t think I would be fond of a horse sized spider. I hate creepy crawly things.

Even with gross bugs, this story was very enjoyable and I would highly recommend it any steampunk
Jessica
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is a great steampunk novel for middle grade readers. Adults too, I enjoyed this thoroughly. It is full of adventure and the author has a great talent for describing a scene. I will definitely continue to follow this series as the author expands it.

My seven year old son enjoyed this as a read aloud. It was his first long steampunk. I think I have found a fellow family member to share my love of the genre with.
Meenaz Lodhi
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This YA steampunk series is exciting from the beginning, although I’m not a lover of giant insects stories. However, it captivated me and went on reading The struggles of the Lowlands people versus Highlanders, a secret discovery, and the characters resistance to survive the persecution is actively described and overwhelming! I’ll definitely read the rest of the series!
BookLoversLife
This surprised me so much with how much I ended up loving it. I find steampunk can be hit or miss, and this one is definitely a hit!! This focuses on Jacob, a 15 yr old apprentice, and the fact that one single event will change his life forever!!

The plot of this was fast paced and addicting. The world building was amazing too. It's set in a world that was decimated by war, and where all the "modern" conveniences have been lost. It's a world where steam powered devices are used for nearly everyt
Martha
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy reading and engaging steampunk adventure. My rating 4.25
When I started the book I thought it was perhaps written for middle schoolers or teens as the writing style is easy. However, as I continued I became engaged by the characters and the unique creatures. Although the wild spiders and bugs are dangerous, some of the spiders are trained as carriage ‘cattle’ or rides for the knights, and smaller bugs are raised as pets. I enjoyed watching Jacob as he helps others and begins to ma
Arnaud
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Good steampunk-ish novel

This was a fast and good read for me. Good protagonists, plot straightforward enough that's easy to follow, somewhat predictable, but with enough elements of novelty that it kept my overall interest in the characters relatively high. A first volume that leads me easily to the next one, and I'll be happy to knock out volume three as well when I get there. Volume 2 definitely seems intriguing since the heroes are venturing out of their city :-)
Coco.V
Apr 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/21/2019)! 🎁
Bill Tillman
This tale keeps you riveted to you seat. The narrator does a fantastic job, it's hard not to think she is not several people male or female. Steanpunk is one of my favorite fantasy forms. Jacob a tinker's apprentice and his best friend Alice manage to find trouble at every turn. An invasion of bug creatures changes lives for the worse. Charles the crafty old tinker, Samuel the Spider Knight flee Ancora with Jacob and Alice. Their underground into the garlands keeps you catching your breath.
Kristen
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
My review (of the whole trilogy - spoiler free) is here, on my blog.

In book one, Steamborn, we meet all our characters and are introduced to the world. The city of Ancora is split into two distinct classes, the highlanders (rich people) and the lowlanders (poor people). When the walls surrounding the lowlands is breached by giant insects, the lowlanders flee into the highlands, causing all kinds of strife. Jacob and Alice (and co.) discover a bit of a scheme going on in the city, and end up havi
Jen
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book was awesome!!! ALL the hearts!!

Favorite quote that made me love this book.

"He knew adults who didn't even read a book in a month. Jacob tried to read one every week."

It is obvious that the author LOVES books as much as most readers do. At least as much as I do. There were many gems sprinkled throughout this book where the love of reading, by the male MC and the female MC alike, comes out and makes you smile as you read it. SO good.

Now. There was ONE part that made me put the book down
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Steamborn is one of those really need novels that sort of reminds you why you enjoy reading in the first place. I’ve had a rough go of it trying to basically choke down books this year, but Steamborn was utterly effortless with its amazing world building and attention to detail.

This book made me question why I don’t read more steampunk novels because if I could find more like this I would be in heaven all day every day. Steamborn follows Jacob, the young apprentice to their town’s tinker. Jacob
Thomas
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Asher, Eric R. Steamborn. Steamborn No. 1. Kindle, 2015.
Any novel has to do three things: establish its fictional world, establish its characters and voice, and develop its plot. Fantasy genres like steampunk, have a special problem in world-building since many of its elements are outside the reader’s experience. Steamborn does an adequate, but not outstanding, job in all three areas. Its characters are stock figures in most young-adult fiction—a well-meaning but overlooked boy, a girl to pursue
Anniken Haga
I picked this up for cheap on Kindle, and after listening for 4 hours and dreading every minute of it, I DNFed.
It wasn't that the writing was bad, but there really was no story, the characters were flat and there were a lot of characters that seemed convenient but not all that natural. I did enjoy the steampunk element, until the author used a whole chapter on describing how to make something mechanical, which was not relevant for the story what so ever as far as I could tell, other than to pro
Altivo Overo
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steampunk dystopia

First of a series, sets scene and introduces characters. Promising plotline supported by thoughtful world and cultural development. Definitely worth following through, I think.
Bob Michaels
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly surprised. I found this on bookbub a while ago and just read it. Not very long, and it is one of three in a series. Not happy about the way it just stopped mid adventure but it was still enjoyable. Will definitely read the other two in the series.
Melissa Hayden
3.5 Stars

The people in this book are kind to each other. They are all suffering when the village is attacked by the huge insects. This is something our world needs to see more of. The kind hearts of adults and children willing to eagerly help each other, not expecting payment in return. This warmed my heart to hear! That's not to say there aren't people that look down on others, but there is a focus on kindness.

****FULL REVIEW****
*I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and hav
Troy Davis
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Confession time. First, I was given a copy of the book by the publisher for an honest review--no problem! Second, I’m an avid fan of Vesik . . . so going into the novel, I was already heavily biased in favor of anything Asher writes. This new work exceeded my expectations. The story is simple without being boring, post-apocalyptic without being dismal, chalked full of familiar themes without being ordinary, and clean without being Pollyannaish. It is predictable . . . in an enthralling sort of w ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Steamborn is a futurist steampunk type story with giant bugs, action, a little romance, and lots of inventive machines. The story doesn't end in a conclusive ending but leaves it open for the next story, so if you are one that like closure...
The plot is good, the characters are great, lots of action and emotion. It seemed to be a teen book but some adults might like it too. I like my stories to end conclusively and then tease me about a next book so this was a bummer for me, I guess you can't pl
Catherine
World building is cool, although incomplete. Characters are only fleshed out about 75% each, at most. Universe has some missing explanations of major plot points. Mediocre and repetitive description of characters and setting grew old after about 1/3 of the book. Tells classic dystopian story from perspective of 16 yo boy who is relatively boring. Listened to the audiobook and was almost too bored to continue.
Sandi Faulconbridge
Great start to a new dystopia style steampunk series for teens where bugs/insects are key to the storyline. I would be happy to issue it to our more sophisticated Year 6 readers at our primary school.
Josh & Alice are both strong main characters. Love the setting and the secondary characters.
Looking forward to the next one in the series coming in 5 days
P.M.
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed by this book. The two main characters seemed much younger than the 15 with which the author described them. I was also sad that Samuel couldn't take Bessie with him on the quest.
Zoltán
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: Steampunk is not my primary genre for reading, but still looking one that I will like. I'm sure it's out there.

We find ourselves in the middle of a steampunk world, in a mountaintop, walled city with distinct feudalistic structure. Highlanders, Lowlanders and the rest outside the walls, nobody cares about.
The city is attacked by giant insects who bring down the wall defences and kill the lower half of the city. The main characters flee to the upper city and find themselves in the mi
Steph Spitzy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Eric at PennedCon 2017 in St Louis. I read this particular book to fit the steampunk prompt for the Popsugar reading challenge this year. I've never really read steampunk anything before, and didn't think I'd really care for it much. Once I got a few chapters into it, and started getting to meet the characters, I was actually enjoying reading. I do enjoy dystopian novels, and this is somewhat of a mashup of the two.

Ancora is a post-war city, segregated into the Highlands and the Lo
Tea
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice start

So good, I bought the Kindle boxed set. I'll do a full review there, but for now I'll give a quick run down of what I liked and what I hope will improve.

Characters

It was a nice change to see age appropriate behaviour from all of the characters in the book. It was further pleasing to see them react to the situations they and their loved ones found themselves in believable ways. In part, Jacob, the most prominent of the MCs, was as impetuous and rash and confused as one might expect many
Z
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young teens who are kind of nerdy but also live under a rock
Recommended to Z by: Bookbub
It takes a lot of effort for a 200-odd page steampunk novel to take me four months to slog through. I feel like I should have enjoyed this more than I did, but nothing in it really managed to grab my attention. It comes off as more of a first act than a book in its own right. I don't really understand the point of the wingsuit at all, since it doesn't pop up again during the final stretch or anything, and the cork game just seemed like a way to shoehorn in some characters to bring back later aft ...more
Lelouch
I'm pretty new to the steampunk genre, having only read one novella previously. I read the book without much expectation. Some of the clockwork/steam devices include a mechanical hand, nail gun, steam bike, and biomechs (humans integrated with machines). The author talks a little about the internal mechanical working as Jacob builds stuff with the experienced Charles, but doesn't get too caught up in the details. I thought the author let on a bit too early jacob's motivation for stealing, but it ...more
David Wright
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not heard of this author, but am a big Steampunk fan, so thought I would give this a try.

This is a story of political struggles, friendships, and society trying to get back on its feet. Throw into the mix some interesting contraptions that aren't too technical but very useful, giant insects and plenty of betrayal, and you have Steamborn.

I wasn't immediately impressed at the beginning as giant insects invading seemed very 1950s SCI-FI rip off. Get past this, and the story develops into a n
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Audible Audio Format: Steamborn 2 11 Jun 22, 2018 11:11AM
Steamborn 2 3 Jan 17, 2018 04:21PM

• Soldier of Fortune: A Gideon Quinn Adventure (The Fortune Chronicles #1)
  • Archangel Down (Archangel Project, #1)
  • Traveler in the Dark (Ex Situ, #1)
  • Destination Unknown (Wings of Steele #1)
  • First Contact (Sector 64, #0.5)
  • The Tomorrow Gene (The Tomorrow Gene #1)
  • Freefall (Mavericks, #2)
  • Star Rebels: Stories of Space Exploration, Alien Races, and Adventure
  • Peace Force (Harriet Walsh, #1)
  • Daybreak
  • Claus: Legend of the Fat Man (Claus,#1)
  • Drake's Rift (Taurian Empire)
  • Outlaw (Rebel Stars, #1)
  • Generation (Shadows of the Void, #1)
  • Mosaic Chronicles Books 1-4
  • Hero in a Halfling (Epik Fantasy #1)
  • The Enemy of an Enemy (Lost Tales of Power, #1)
  • Emergence (Dark Tide #1)
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Steamborn (4 books)
  • Steamforged (Steamborn, #2)
  • Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)
  • Steamborn: The Complete Trilogy Box Set (Steamborn Series Box Set Book 1)