Start by marking “Wolves and the River of Stone (Vesik, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wolves and the River of Stone (Vesik, #2)

Wolves and the River of Stone

(Vesik #2)

Philip, Zola’s boyfriend from one hundred and fifty years ago, is not nearly as dead as we thought. I really wish he was. Not only has he kidnapped Zola, but he’s raising an army to scour humanity from the earth. Hopefully the local werewolf pack will help. What could possibly go wrong?
Published by Eric R. Asher (first published October 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wolves and the River of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolves and the River of Stone

Start your review of Wolves and the River of Stone (Vesik, #2)
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Wolves and the River of Stone by Eric Asher

Book 2 of the Vesik series. Necromancy Urban fantasy. With ghosts, zombies, vampires, and a plethora of others. It can be read without reading the first.

Curtis!
This book is considerably better written in pace, voice and strategy than the first. I also found more humor and depth of character in this book. Be warned, there is a lot of gore, violence, and dead from beginning to end that builds through to the end. Plus the introduction to a bit of romance
Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort
Favorite Lines “So much killing. Sometimes it seems like the only thing left in the world.”

“Well, tonight there are better people for killing. See you soon.”

“Foster and I had learned a long time ago to laugh in the face of adversity and atrocities. It was that or endure a psychotic break that would make a dark necromancer proud. Or go over the falls in a barrel, whichever you prefer.”

“My assistant manager is a vampire whore.”

“The wolves and the water witches. What would my grandfather say?”

“We a
Hitandmiss
Short Review - While the story is entertaining enough, the whole "Lets all get along" sub plot of the vamps/wolfs/fae and Necros was a little nauseating. There's no real reason for them not to get along in the first place, gimmie some real history or reasons as to why these guys use to kill on sight the other races.

Also the authors attempts to make Vesik come across as funny, (Which never are) Followed by the mandatory line that "everyone rolled around in hysterics" or "Foster almost guffawed hi
Julia Sarene
Jan 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first one in this series was not perfect but fun and entertaining enough. This one might be the same, I don't know as I DNF it quite early. Book two starts with annoying "romance" or rather oogling tits and ass and soon gets to "groin massage", "great waves of lust" and "I wanted her there and then, sprawled across the table, nude".

No thank you, I might put up with very badly written sex scenes in a great book, but not in a mediocre on.
Douglas Meeks
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that after reading book 1 Days Gone Bad (Vesik) which I enjoyed I was not sure what to expect from this novel. I expected more of the same but this was a step up from the last book.

Phillip it seems is raising an army to scour humanity from the earth, Damian is just the necromancer to try to stop him with a bit of "help from his friends".

While the author does an excellent job at situations that are horrible with a bit of levity he does not cheat the reader out of a great story. The s
Crystal Pinson
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the second book in the Vesik series even more than I did the first! There is a lot going on in these books, but it is done so well that it feels like a series of little stories all connected to the larger goal. There are a lot of characters but in time I had them straight. All the characters are needed because one element of the book is the banding together of all the different paranormal creatures/beings.

I love the characters. I love the story. And I must stress that this book is wonder
Jodi
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
wow! this was a fast paced, slightly darker, a bit more gory story that had all my favorite characters coming together to fight evil. This was at times funny, snarky, sexy, full of anger, loss, friendship and family. When Zolla said in the car driving to a fight, how amazing it was to have vampires, faeries, werewolves and necromance together now, when they have been enemies in the past, it just struck me so hard in the feels.

I've been listening on audible, which is amazing, and have already mo
☕️Kimberly
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am having fun listening to this series. The characters are well developed, flawed, genuine and have formed friendships or banned together for the greater good. Asher blends lore, origins, myth and more forming a unique tale as our apprentice Vesik works with his Master Zola to stop Philip.

Philip, thought long dead (like a hundred and fifty years dead), has raised an army and has plans that if successful could open a gate for demons and destroy the world as we know it. This little tidbit has su
Todd Neal
I enjoyed the action chapters and I like the characters, but I felt like the author was really overselling the laughter. If this was a TV show, there would be an overuse of a cheap laugh track. Every scene has a forced smile, chuckle or laugh.
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

Wolves and the River of Stone starts off with action right away, and you're pulled into Damian's world as though you never left. As a matter of fact, this book starts off right where the first book ended. Asher's style of writing is stellar - I can't stress that enough. His writing skills make me jealous! ;)

How shocked was I to find out Philip is not only very much alive but also raising an army
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
This is one of my Book Bonanza 2019 purchases. I read it way back in 2019 and should have reviewed it back then, but didn't - I was in the midst of a very long reviewing slump, so there were a lot of things I finished but never reviewed. My intention was to reread it and review it properly before offloading it, but I've found that I have zero desire to reread it, and I couldn't even get through the audio version (partly due to my dislike of the narrator - I know Asher loves him, he said so in a ...more
Cherry Mischievous
My Thoughts:
As a follow-up to Days Gone Bad , this book also had the beautiful world building and character development seen in the first book. Another plus is the humour strewn through out the story telling! Kudos to the author's writing style! This series also introduced me to chimichanga which is quickly becoming a favourite of mine! I didn't know that such food existed until Vesik kept eating it! Another thing I like about this book is the appearance of the wolves! The already wonderf
Anny hernandez
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***** I received an ARC copy for an honest review *****

OMG Holy Smoke I just finish reading this awesome book, when I read the first book ( Days Gone Bad), I love it but this one I love it even more, I am gone keep this sweet and short since I dont want to give anything away.

I love the characters love the story and of coursed I love anything that has to do with supernatural, meaning demons and other evil things, just love it.

This book had me seating at the edge of my seat, in this book Zola gets
Ashley
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I loved the first book I wasn't as thrilled with book two. We were introduced to the werewolves and other creatures in this book. This book just went too slow for me. I did finish it in a night but I struggled through it because it just didn't keep my attention. I would still recommend it to others because the plot and writing was well done. ...more
Shyam Mohan
Wolves and the River of Stone (Vesik Series, #2)
Author : Eric R. Asher

Even though the genre of the book is that of adventure-fantasy, the book is not so tightly gripping from start to end. Yes, the story is quite interesting with some twists and turn of events, magic and with characters of Vampires and Werewolves; however, the narration is what I felt lacking the quality of a J. K Rowling or even a Stephenie Meyer in it. Being a fan of fantasy genre of novels, especially with witches, werewolv
Kristen
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
(Audiobook review)

Vesik is back with a new adventure. This time, there's a dark necromancer (oooooo) which is like a regular necromancer, but... like, really bad. As opposed to the good ones, like Vesik. They're only bad if they're bad. So, we have dark necromancers, werewolves, vampires, fae, and shenanigans. Werewolf/necromancer/vampire/fae shenanigans. All these races historically hate each others' guts, and they're going to have to learn to work together to beat this foe.

Vesik once again thi
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I liked it. Not quite as much as book 1 though.
I'm not so sure about the romantic angle.
Lots of different creatures working together, got to be a bit much. I was bummed that the ONE character from that group of allies, that I really liked, was killed off. I'm not sure about his replacement. I think I might end up liking him. I'm a sucker for that species.

Yeah, the romance fizzled for me.

But, the book always kept my attention. I like the side characters. Some more than others.

I still feel like th
Steph Desire
Jan 15, 2021 rated it liked it
I would recommend not to read this while reading right after reading the Dresden files. The books are different but they have similarities- male protagonists, magic, urban, vampires, werewolves.
Pros: great characters, I like the MC. Lots of magic, as an urban fantasy, I like the fact that you don't have to wait chapters to see something happening. Also, I like the fact not all the women there were cute sexy- you know typical men writing fantasy.
Cons: The first book was good. Second book took me
Ginelle Blanch
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**I listened to the audible version of this book**

Let me start by saying that I would give this book much more than five stars if I could!!

Funny.
Surprising.
Gory.
Breath holding action.

Emotional in that you have become so attached to these characters.

So very visual. Fast Paced.

An all encompassing emotional roller coaster.

Such a fantastic story line, this narrator was absolutely the perfect choice for the series. He brings the story to life with such brilliance.

Absolutely engaging.

I loved it and h
Barbara Sykeshaha
Oh a yummy great book Mr. Eric Asher!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to the end. Can't wait to read the next book in this series! Battles, friendship, family, love, laughter, sadness, anger, healing all packed into this series by Eric Asher. I can't put the books down. I'm reading even as my ereader is charging. It's late, way past my bedtime, my eyes are seeing double vision, I've got to go to bed, this is nuts it's so good. Read this series if you love all things vampire, werewol
Kristy Maitz
I don't know what to say about that book! Let me think!

Story plot started interesting, so that was good. Main character Damian behave's like a kid who is always asking what he should do and why, so that is a negative point. Zola, Damian's master is to old and to something to be of interest as a character. The romance between Damian & Niksy is also a boring part of the story.

All and all it was boring.
Ruby McDemon
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I enjoyed this story as much as the first. I will say that Philip is a jerk and he needs to die. I loved listening to the entire story it was just great. I had already liked the Little Ghost from the previous book, but with this one I kinda adore her. The dark humor throughout this book just made it better and better. Then you add in William's awesome narration and I was laughing most of the time while I was listening. ...more
Leons1701
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Let's be perfectly clear, this series is crap. It's a Dresden rip-off that exemplifies a lot of the cliches of bad writing. But it's moderately enjoyable crap. If Asher ever learns better writing skills, or hires a really good editor or better yet, both, watch out.

The best thing I can say about this is that it inspired me to finally get moving on that Dresden reread I've been thinking of for a while now.
Justin Sylvia
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid outing from Damian V & Co. This time around they seem to have a bit of a bigger issue then their last outing, if memory serves me correct. I won’t give away too much, but, IMO as a good book should, or at least a book like this & others, toward the end, there is a long, arduous & casualty laden battle. Sometimes unfortunately.. some of the casualties aren’t what you were hoping for. In either case, it’s still a good book & I look forward to Book 3 & beyond.
Tim Shepard
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the first book, I had my doubts before beginning this one. I still feel there were far too many characters at times. Asher does a decent job of giving them all different personalities. The erotica probably wasn't necessary either. However, the storytelling and the plot kept the book moving at a good pace and kept my attention. ...more
Meggie
Wow, I have to admit, in this book Damian behaved like a fool. Sure he joked a lot and was sarcastic in his dialogues, but come one, why did he act so slow and passive. Anyway the main plot in Wolves and the River of Stone was boring and dragging. Ending wasn't satisfying!

Eric Evans
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first. Characters are flushed out even more. Also we get werewolves, evil necromancer, and a community of supernatural being working together. However the humor and laughing is still there a lil more subtle still a bit much for my taste. So glad I picked this series up.
Michele
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to sense of humor in these books. There are some dark spots and there seems to be more than enough to fight. But I am hooked so far. I have to find out if Zola ever gives all her knowledge to Vesak.
James Learman
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting little series. the sub characters are fairly stereotypical with different mythological flairs thrown in. the main character is fairly thin i keep hoping in future books there will be back story
Amy
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I switched between the audiobook and ebook. The narrator did a good job. I enjoyed this second installment of the Vesik series. I find the characters and their interactions highly entertaining. I also enjoy the action and pacing of the story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Savage
  • Dawn and Quartered (The Preternatural Chronicles, #2)
  • Druid Master (Colin McCool #12)
  • I’m Glad You’re Dead (The Preternatural Chronicles, #1)
  • Trinity (Feathers and Fire, #9)
  • Shadow of a Doubt (The Preternatural Chronicles, #3)
  • Druid Vengeance (Colin McCool #7)
  • The Golem (Montague & Strong Case Files #10)
  • Druid Arcane (Colin McCool #11)
  • Game of the Wolf (The Hexecutioner #1)
  • Those Wonderful Toys (The Preternatural Chronicles, #7)
  • Druid Apprentice (Colin McCool #9)
  • Quantum Shadows
  • Purge City (Prof Croft, #3)
  • Brimstone Kiss (The Phantom Queen Diaries #10)
  • Graveyard Druid (Colin McCool #2)
  • Druid Mystic (Colin McCool #10)
  • Deliverance (The Preternatural Chronicles, #0.5)
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Vesik (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Days Gone Bad (Vesik, #1)
  • Winter's Demon (Vesik, #3)
  • This Broken World (Vesik, #4)
  • Destroyer Rising (Vesik, #5)
  • Rattle the Bones (Vesik, #6)
  • Witch Queen's War (Vesik #7)
  • Forgotten Ghosts (Vesik #8)
  • The Book of the Ghost (Vesik #9)
  • The Book of the Claw (Vesik #10)
  • The Book of the Sea (Vesik #11)