Start by marking “This Broken World (Vesik, #4)” as Want to Read:
This Broken World (Vesik, #4)

This Broken World

(Vesik #4)

Vesik, Book 4

An ocean of darkness lives in the journal of Philip Pinkerton. Ancient things with no place in our world are rising from the Abyss. Ezekiel, the arrogant, mad god has called us into battle. Does he think we can't touch him, or does he know we can't? I wish I knew. The world’s only hope lies in a forgotten weapon, the strength of our allies, and one necromanc
Published December 19th 2014 by Eric R. Asher (first published December 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about This Broken World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Broken World

Start your review of This Broken World (Vesik, #4)
☕️Kimberly
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damian is a necromancer who has been fighting Philip and while he may have saved the world, the landscape has changed. The magical world is exposed and the Watchers can’t contain and hide it fast enough from the humans and Ezekiel is only making it worse.

Then there is Vicki. The more time she spends in the shadow realm, the more she changes. She is aging and becoming more corporeal. Eep!

He has become pack, gathered many friends and has a girlfriend who is a water creature. Are you with me? He is
Madison Warner Fairbanks
This Broken World by Eric R Asher

Book 4 of the Vesik series. Urban fantasy necromancer adventures. Best to read this as part of the series as characters, friendships and powers all change and evolve.

Epic storytelling with vivid battles, heroics, and powers that change worlds.
Humor and camaraderie are key features in this series as are war, fighting, and devastating kills.
Enthralling and epic.
Wendy Bloink
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
love this series each book gets better and better
Maya Barbery
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Death's Door gang does it again!!

This book does a fantastic job in putting together a few of the strings that were left as teasers in books 1-3. Which I absolutely LOVED!!! it was like opening a bunch of gifts at Christmas when your theories were confirmed or there was a total plot twist you weren't expecting.

The author, Eric Asher, does an incredible job of bringing it together seamlessly, and again one of my favorite things is that he does not repeat himself in hte sense of retelling you
Soo
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 for Story, 3 for Narrator William Dufris

Mini-Review:

I really liked Dufris as the narrator when I listened to the first three books of the Vesik series, but that was earlier this year and what I want from a narrator has changed subtly since then. Dufris is a good narrator but the voice he uses for the main character Vesik is a bit "old" for the character. The conflict of what I visualize in my head and the voice he uses for him make the listening experience not as fun.

All the important piec
Jamie
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Outstanding. But it ended too soon. Can't wait to see what happens next!
A.M.
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, i-own
Vesik is back and dealing with what his newly learned parentage means… (view spoiler)
The actions of Phillip and Ezekiel have overworked the Watc
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
The more I read this series the more I like it.
It's always full of action. I'm starting to like the side characters more and more.
I had a hard time connecting to them at first, only because there are so many of them.
I still have a hard time when a name comes up that hasn't been mentioned recently, and trying to remember who that character is. I have to stop and think a moment. But the story is far enough in that there are some good details on some of them.

I love Vicki.
Yeah, the dogs kind of remi
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Audiobook Review

I cannot get enough of the Vesik Series! Damien Vesik is sarcastic, witty, and a total bad a**! It's everything I love in a character. The supporting cast is phenomenal as well.

While normally the books are fast paced and action packed, book 4 This Broken World, started off much slower. Vesik continues his training with The Old Man and the reader gets a look into the backstory of several players. While this slowed the paced it was necessary and lead to the power of the overall tal
Ginelle Blanch
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had so much action. It's constantly moving. Wonderfully imaginative, enthralling, chilling...heartbreaking! So so funny and vivid and, for me, full of anxiety! After four books, I've become quite invested in the welfare of all these characters so, the fact that something not nice could happend to any of them had me holding my breath more than once!

And, this narrator is just perfect for the series. He does an amazing job bringing the world and characters to living brilliance!

Loved it an
Cheryl
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent well written story! Damian and friends are trying to stop Ezekiel from destroying the world. So much action, many surprises , bits of humor and romance. So many friends and even betrayals on a couple of fronts. It is a thoughtful book but I enjoyed it and hope you do!
TE
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Broken World just blew me away. It's well written, fast paced, action packed, full of suspense and laced with snarky humor. Not a single boring page in the whole book. Epic read.

For those who want to know: This one has language, violence and a sex scene.
Eric Evans
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great job Mr. Asher! This is a great and humorous read. The author has grown or I'm getting used to it but the series seems to be maturing. The first books seemed like every one was laughing at everything. Now the humor seems to be placed better.
Gene
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Well that stepped things up a couple of notches. Still really enjoying the series, looking forward to the next one.

Only criticism would be that there are just too many characters to keep track of, I lose track. They are all good characters, just a lot of them.
Paul
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like that Asher didn't make Vesik the end all be all. There are people more powerful than he and others must help Vesik. The story has kept my attention. Glad I stuck with it after the first book when it seemed like a Dresdan knock off. Asher definitely found his own story to tell.
Anne
I guess I am tired of this narrator. Good thing they raised the prices of the whispersync audio books, I won't be tempted to buy any more of them.
Kristy Maitz
What a boring story plot, blah.
James Learman
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
series is getting better and better. characters are all filling out nicely. and as one problem goes down the new ones it leaves get better and better.
Alex Buschmann
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far my favorite of the series so far.
Michele
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book filled with all the mind benders of Eric. I did get lost at the end, wasn't sure how the story took the turn of time and when it came back.
Marianne Boutet
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Well, this book does need the other three to have been read before it. That being said, it pulls together a whole bunch of loose ends and ties them together. The characters are great and so is the suspense. Well done, Mr. Asher!
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
I received a free copy of the book from the author for my honest opinion.

Damian is a Necromancer and a son of Anubis. He has been fighting battle after battle with his master Zola's ex-boyfriend that has been around for many, many years. Damian has fought all these battles but he has not won the war yet. Damian is a very soft hearted man but mess with someone he loves or cares about and he will at least show you that he has been there even if it gets his butt beat. But when it comes to his famil
Cherry Mischievous
My Thoughts:
In the last instalment in this series, the entire book is about our group of protagonists running around from one fight to another. This book is more of the same. Having said that, this series is starting to feel like "same old, same old". Being book 4, I hope that the author has more tricks up his sleeve to keep this series alive.

In this book, the story arc embarks on to a, "coming of age" theme. The entire world is no longer the same. So from urban fantasy, this book is taking
Wendy Schindler
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Vesik series is quickly rising in my list of favorite book series!!

Great story full of fantastic creatures of Legend, stunning acts of heroism, spooks galore, and a few vanilla humans as well! Light and Dark, intricately woven together in the struggles for triumph.
Well done Eric!!
Also sparking an interest in driving over towards St. Louis and St. Charles, where my mom's side of the family comes from. Maybe even see if I can find the ones buried in Calvary Cemetery..
Mel
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This broken world

Another stunning book in this series. I truly enjoyed this book.
The storyline is packed with action very detailed, the author has a fantastic way to pull you in.
I love the characters and more secrets will be revealed. The storyline has a strong plot with twist and turns. It is truly a broken world now with everything revealed, faeries are now been seen as well the monsters. The military gets involved there is no going back now. Ezekiel is gone for now but what else will come to
Ruby McDemon
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This book in the series had a slower start, but it was still as awesome as the rest. I have come to really enjoy seeing the characters in this series grow and change. I love how this world is developing and it all flows together so well. I love how even though so much is changing and there's the chances to go evil and yet Damian stays true to himself and he only really wants to protect the people he loves from anyone who would want to hurt them. There were somethings that I didn't see coming, bu ...more
Heather
In the coming to the end of an arc, it was worrisome that the end of a series might come about as well. But as this book goes forward, it is clear that that there is more than just the arc that we have seen - and that there is much more to come in the world of Vesik and his crew. And we are still being introduced to more characters and even as the cast grows, there isn't the worry of losing track of anyone. No one is forgotten, room is made at the table, the new folks are welcomed, and I can't w ...more
Raz T
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in this series absolutely blew me away! We get introduced to an amazing new world and get to see how our beloved characters interact within it. I believe Asher has really hit his stride, and as a result I've purchased pretty much every book he's done. This series has really helped bring me back to reading. My only negative comment is that there isn't all ready another book in this series for me to jump into! I seriously can't wait to see what happens next!
Karen
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vesik
Start to Finish

Since I started re-reading this series I love it just as much as the first time . So if you haven't read the Vesik books now's the time to start.
Megan
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

If you love Kim Harrison and Jim Butcher you'll love the Vesik series. Another funny yet violent urban fantasy. Great characters.

• Druid Mystic (Colin McCool #10)
  • Druid's Due (Colin McCool, #8)
  • Carnage (The Temple Chronicles #14)
  • Druid Apprentice (Colin McCool #9)
  • Devil’s Blood (Shade of Devil Book 3)
  • Hurricane (The Phantom Queen Diaries #9 - A Temple Verse Series)
  • Underground Druid (Colin McCool #4)
  • Devil's Cry (Shade of Devil Book 2)
  • Sea Breeze (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #8)
  • Devil's Dream (Shade of Devil #1)
  • Moonlight Druid (Colin McCool #3)
  • Ascension (Nate Temple Chronicles #13)
  • Druid Vengeance (Colin McCool #7)
  • Brimstone Kiss (The Phantom Queen Diaries #10)
  • Anghellic (Feathers and Fire #8)
  • Assassination Protocol (Cerberus #1)
  • Druid Justice (Colin McCool #5)
  • Graveyard Druid (Colin McCool #2)
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Vesik (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Days Gone Bad (Vesik, #1)
  • Wolves and the River of Stone (Vesik, #2)
  • Winter's Demon (Vesik, #3)
  • Destroyer Rising (Vesik, #5)
  • Rattle the Bones (Vesik, #6)
  • Witch Queen's War (Vesik #7)
  • Forgotten Ghosts (Vesik #8)
  • The Book of the Ghost (Vesik #9)
  • The Book of the Claw (Vesik #10)
  • The Book of the Sea (Vesik #11)