Start by marking “The Art of Falling in Love” as Want to Read:
The Art of Falling in Love

The Art of Falling in Love

Seventeen-year-old Claire Haynes always spends summer vacation at her family's beach house in Florida, sketching and dreaming of art school with her biggest fan--her Opa. But when Opa dies right before summer break, all Claire has left besides her memories is a sand-sculpting contest application with her name on it and the lingering question of why Opa filled it out in the ...more
Published August 13th 2019 by Literary Crush Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Falling in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Falling in Love

Start your review of The Art of Falling in Love
Candace Robinson
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one! It was cute with characters that felt real, and the writing sucked me in right away! I need more contemporary books by this author!
Toya
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Art of Falling in Love is a beautiful coming of age story that deals with life and new love after the loss of a loved one. I absolutely loved Claire and Foster’s story.

Following the death of her Opa (grandpa), Claire no longer has the inspiration that she needs to find her media and passion amongst the arts. The summer was meant to be a bucket list of art museums, but instead, Claire is lost and feels her creativity slipping.

Claire meets Foster who creates art out of the most unexpected
Savannah Hendricks
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This YA novel was a fresh storyline for me. Claire and Foster were real, honest characters, as were Clarie's family. The story read like a movie, which I enjoyed. The author created believable scenes and dialogue which kept me reading.
Ann M. Miller
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I fell in love…with The Art of Falling in Love! Haleigh Wenger’s lush prose drew me in from the start, and the well-defined characters of Claire and Foster kept me turning the pages! My absolute favorite kind of book to read is a YA contemporary that explores first loves and packs an emotional punch, and this book delivered on both counts.

Claire’s grief over her Opa struck a chord in my heart. Having lost someone very close to me
Jordan
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to win an e-ARC of this, and let me tell you, The Art of Falling in Love by Haleigh Wenger is the perfect sweet YA romance. Whether you’re lounging poolside or curled up by a fireplace, you’ll be transported to a sunny shore in Florida.

Wenger has sculpted likable yet flawed characters in Claire and Foster. Each is lost for different reasons: Claire, who mourns her mentor and recently departed Opa, and Foster, who chooses homelessness rather than live with his abusive brother.
Noelle Strader
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Claire and Foster pulled on my heart strings throughout the entire book. Realistic parent and sibling relationships with beautiful prose. St. Augustine was such a refreshing and unique setting. I can’t wait to see more from this author!
Larissa Lopes
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful story! I enjoyed every minute of it!
I loved the beach setting; their shared love for art; the honesty/depth of their relationship! Claire and Foster are one of those couples you can’t help but to root for!!
And Foster is such an irresistible book boyfriend! It broke my heart the fact that he was homeless. I wanted to bring him to MY home! LOL

Anyway... I also loved the writing—it’s easy to read. And the story is fast paced and very engaging! So, if you’re searching for a cute
Cait - GoodeyReads
A CUTE BEACH READ WITH DEEPER CONTEXT.

BLOG || INSTA

I saw a friend talking about this book and when she mentioned it was free on Kindle that day, I thought, WHY NOT? Why not indeed. This was a hidden gem from a debut author (and it’s only $2.99 on Kindle now so hey! That’s cheap too).

I loved the way the relationship between Claire and Foster developed. They had a nice meet cute and then things slowly built with actual conversation and interactions with each other. Even as a summer romance nothing
Sarah Barkoff
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC from the publisher on July 10th, but read an earlier version last year while Haleigh and I were both participating in WriteMentor.

First off, I love Foster and his floppy blonde hair. Total swoon fest. I just wanted to give this boy from the wrong side of the tracks a huge hug, and I must admit, I'm a sucker for that trope and Haleigh captures the essence of lovers from two different worlds perfectly. Claire and Foster's argument in Alabama had me wincing and
Brenda Smith
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed THE ART OF FALLING IN LOVE. The author, Haleigh Wenger, did a great job of adding human depth and pathos to what could easily have been a standard beach romance. And it is a real, very beachy, beach romance, but it transcends the genre with its realistic, multi-generational characters, all of whom have quirks, flaws and loveable qualities, one of whom has devastating family issues to overcome. It’s those family issues that threaten the romance at the heart of the story, and they ...more
Janelle Hackbarth
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arcs
This felt like a typical beach read with a squeeze of difference. Claire (main character) enters a sand sculpting contest with local cute boy, Foster, and falls for him despite of his depressing recent past. Also, this is her first summer without her beloved grandfather Opa.

I can't really nit-pick a particular thing I didn't like about the book, other than the character of Johnny (no spoilers here). I did enjoy how it ended.

If you're in the mood for a cute little beach romance, with just a touch
Skylar Nightingale
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Claire was a person you want in your corner. She is reliable. She is there when people need her and even when they don’t. She attempted to do the right thing and her parents trust her. This was a cute YA read. I loved the way the angst just zipped off the page between these characters. It stayed true to the genre. I loved Claire's parents and their willingness to help. Claire’s sister was a piece of work, but Claire’s new friend was a wonderful surprise. The story was descriptive and emotional ...more
Atina Atwood
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's hard enough falling in love while you're a teenager - imagine navigating those treacherous waters while being homeless.

This is a novel with both heart and reflection. I especially appreciated the author's vivid, descriptive writing, empathetic character development, and a great story that didn't shy away from uncomfortable subjects - juvenilehomelessness, sibling rivalry/betrayal, and coping with life after a devastating event. All the while, it's beautiful to see a meaningful romance
StacyFace
Sep 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a snoozefest. Anything worth knowing about the story you can find in the synopsis. For instance, Foster being homeless and hiding from an abusive brother doesn't unfold for almost halfway through the book, so I don't understand why it's part of the synopsis. Furthermore, Claire is so flat, the only time she comes across as a real person is when she's grieving her Opa. She spends the whole book telling us she's an artist, but never showing it. Her parents get a lot of "screen time" ...more
Kristin Smith
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book. I loved that Claire's an artist who decides to participate in the local sand sculpting competition. Her pain at losing her Opa is real and raw. Foster is incredibly endearing and swoony, and my heart broke for him and all he had to endure.

The Art of Falling in Love is an unforgettable summer romance with surprising depth. Brimming with family drama, young love, and a sand sculpting competition, this YA read should not be missed!
Lisa Buscemi
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE ART OF FALLING IN LOVE had me from Page One! Poor Claire lost her grandpa and is feeling lost, until she finds a contest form that Opa had started to fill out. It's for a sand-sculpture contest, where the winner will receive a scholarship to Claire's favorite art college. She decides to enter, and, despite some self-doubt and family drama, Claire discovers just what her artistic abilities are. And while she's at it, she discovers Foster. *Swoon* I highly recommend this story!
Madison Rene'
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cute-reads
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this when my friend recommended it to me, but I actually ended up really enjoying it. I loved the way artists from all genres and eras got mentioned as well as how the perspectives of each character towards art and life as an artist progressed so fully throughout the story. Great cute, simple read.
Danielle
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story made me feel twitterpated and anxious in all the best ways. So different and not cliche- exactly the kind of freshness this genre needs!
Brielle
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an eARC of this book, just in time for summer. (Disclaimer: all opinions are my own, etc.)

This book is adorable. But it’s not just a sweet read. It has depth, from addressing homelessness to death to sister relationships to finding yourself. And okay, the main love interest is pretty stinking hot too.

Plus, it takes place at the beach, and I’m not kidding when I say that this book made me THIS CLOSE to buying a plane ticket to Florida.

Perfect summer read!
Salla (Books Told Me So)
Full review:

A grieving family's summer in Florida sunshine. Claire has made a vow to herself to keep her grandfather's memory alive since she feels that no one else in her family will.
Tawana Howard
Sep 27, 2019
Haleigh Wenger
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Heather Teague
Sep 24, 2019
Magdalena
rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2019

• The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • You'd Be Mine
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Emmie and the Tudor King
  • Have a Little Faith in Me
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Creating Affluence: The A-to-Z Steps to a Richer Life
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • Echoes
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • The Pursuit of William Abbey
  • Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
  • Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
  • As Many Nows as I Can Get
  • The Raven's Tale
  • Hunter Trials (The V Games #7)
  • The Tesla Legacy