Start by marking “What's Up, Maloo?” as Want to Read:
What's Up, Maloo?

What's Up, Maloo?

Maloo the kangaroo has lost his hop. Can his friends help him find it again? This sweet picture book explores the idea of sadness and the importance of friendship through ups and downs.

No other kangeroo can hop like Maloo! But one day Maloo's friends find him stepping instead of hopping. What's wrong, Maloo? His pals look for ways to help Maloo regain the spring in his
Published January 7th 2020 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about What's Up, Maloo?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Up, Maloo?

Start your review of What's Up, Maloo?
Jon Nakapalau
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every once in awhile we all stop hopping forward - but what is a kangaroo to do when this happens? Very nice story about how are friends are always there to help us back on our feet - love the art!
La Coccinelle
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
What's Up, Maloo? features a cute kangaroo and a number of other friendly critters. The illustrations are nice, but I'm a bit confused by the message. Or, rather, I'm confused about the message for this intended audience. Maloo doesn't just seem a little down. He seems like he has full-blown clinical depression. Suddenly, he can't hop (even though he was able to do it previously--and joyfully--with no problems). His friends have to come up with a way to get a kangaroo to be able to hop again.

Morris
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read, children-s
This is a gentle and subtle book about life's ups and downs. It's an odd little story, but the beautiful illustrations made the lesson clear.

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Brooke
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated and simple enough children will stay engaged.

Pub date: January 7th!
Etienne
Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Pointless! Honestly I read the description and I read the book and I can't find any of the educative and positive message from the description in the book. It just have nothing in it. An empty shell...
Laura Harrison
Shelves: 2020, omg-cant-wait
Simple message about anxiety and friendship wonderfully executed. Vibrant and bold illustrations by the amazing Genevieve Godbout.
Stephanie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I will always grab a Genevieve Godbout book off the shelves. Her illustrations are so incredibly beautiful, drawing me in and keeping me around no matter what the story is about.

We all have bad days, days where we are just in a funk or in a foggy cloud. It happens to adults certainly but how many of us think about how it will also affect out children. There can be an expectation that children should always be happy, these are the best times of their lives after all. The reality is that
Tara
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this arc from NetGalley for an honest review. A cute picture book about a kangaroo that has lost his hop. I really love the illustrations.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thr sweetest illustrations and delicate description of depression and friendship.
Erin
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one snuck up on me. I was a bit confused on first read but when I looked back through, focusing on the illustrations it clicked. Beautifully illustrated with a good, if subtle message about life's ups and downs and how we can support our friends through them.
Kaitlyn
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, to-buy
**I received this free digital copy in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley and the publisher**

Maloo has excellent friends who want to help him find his hop.. Maloo’s friends were by his side the whole time and kept trying to encourage him. It was a beautiful story perfect for little ones. The writing did not take away from the illustrations, and I love how the words “hop” were repeated and appeared in similar areas throughout the book. This book was very simple, but it effectively got
Sam
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Adorable illustrations. Important topic (depression); however the story line could have made that a little easier to understand..
Storywraps
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Poor Maloo has lost the spring in his jump and can only step, step, step. He becomes sad and despondent. Where can his hop be, and more importantly, how can he get it back? After all he is the greatest hopper around and now it's gone. Oh my!

His friends rally around him and try to encourage and support him through his difficult time. Are they able to help him regain his confidence and restore the spring in his step?

The message of the book is simple and positive. It applies to all ages really.
Kasey Gilbert Poindexter
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maloo the kangaroo loves to hop, and he's really great at it. Then, without warning, he stops hopping and his friends have to help him get his hop back.

There isn't a lot of text, and the pictures really tell the story. This book can be interpreted several ways, but I think its a story about how to help a friend who suffers from depression (I feel like Maloo could be bipolar). At first Maloo is hopping around with a smile on his face, and then suddenly, without explanation, he stops. His friends
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Darling darling illustrations. Little Maloo is hopping along one day, then a fog starts following him around, and he grows depressed. He doesn't hop anymore. His friends try several ways to help get him hopping again (although I'm not sure how effective an electric fan would be? haha), and they finally have success when they all help fling him in the air with a blanket. I love the theme of friendships being crucial to overcoming depression, or just feeling down.
Jill Jemmett
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maloo is a kangaroo who loves to hop. One day, he stops hopping and only walks. His friends are concerned and figure out a way to get him to hop again.

This story shows that sometimes people don’t feel well, and don’t behave the way they usually do. Maloo’s friends came together to help him. This shows kids that it’s okay to feel bad sometimes. Everyone has bad days, even kangaroos.

The images were beautiful. They looked like pastel illustrations. I really liked them.

This is a great children’s
Kayla (Dream.Write.Read)
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-2019-reads
4/5 stars

I love the illustrations and simplistic style. The story was a good one if the kids can’t read yet. What I mean is there is very little to this story and a lot of it is going to be pausing and asking your kids why the kangaroo is so sad, or saying looking his friends help him no matter what. It’s a great lesson for young children. Perfect for that age where they can‘t read fully by themselves but could grasp what’s going on as you talk through the story with them. Perfect for showing
Wayne McCoy
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
'What's Up, Maloo?' with words and pictures by Genevieve Godbout is a picture book for younger readers about a sad kangaroo.

Maloo is a young kangaroo who used to like to hop, but something is bothering him. His friends look for ways to help him. Can they make their friend hop again?

I'm a fan of the illustration style of Genevieve Godbout, and it's on full display here. Unfortunately, the story has good intentions, but seems to miss the mark. The story is meant to be about sadness and how to help
Sue Thompson
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Barbra
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
When Maloo can't seem to find it in him to hop, his friends help out. With encouragement he finally does it. Soft illustrations and a cute story about friendship, staying positive and not giving up make a nice story to share with little ones.
Miss Sarah
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
A preschool and up book about a kangroo jumping for a long time and the friends who are encouraging him.
Jessica