Start by marking “Callous (Alpha Bodyguard, #6)” as Want to Read:
Callous (Alpha Bodyguard, #6)

Callous

(Alpha Bodyguard #6)

Bodyguard.

Tracker.

Silent Observer.

Life was in the details. The weight of a government issued rifle, the trajectory of a bullet, the speed of the windthose details were crucial in the Marines. But outside the military, that level of observation was currency, and I was selling my skills to the best security firm in South Florida.

Except I wasn't on a job when I noticed the
Published September 9th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Callous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Callous

Start your review of Callous (Alpha Bodyguard, #6)
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Intense. Broody. Possessive. Protective. Cold. Calculated. Broken. Emotional. So many feels and they all came from Preston Vos. This author SLAYED me with Preston Vos.

I'm honestly in a bit of shock right now. My favorite has always been the Viking and Preston just knocked him down to number 2. I can't believe I just said that. Is it possible to have two equally favorites? I can't let go of the Viking but all I can think about is Preston after what I just read.

I haven't read all of Sybil
Carvanz
I love a hero that has autistic, OCD tendencies. One that struggles with their emotions, or lack thereof. Add in the lack of being able to communicate their thoughts and Im completely hooked. Such was Preston. He was so intense in everything he did. His thing was numbers and advantages. He took stock of everything around him, every breath, every second that ticked, every heartbeat. And all of it revolved around Mercy and his plan to have her.

Counting time, measuring distance, forecasting
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

Based on how this novel started out I thought it was going to be amazing but then it just wasn't. Before the pitchforks come out let me explain! It starts off with a prologue type of situation which I was excited about. The present story starts off nicely with the heroine telling us about present hero and action-packed-problem hits and.... then proceeds to get resolved within a chapter?

I guess it was wrong of me to think that all the books in this series would follow the
RJ
have i been bamboozled? lol

there are SO many glowing reviews but they failed to mentioned that

(view spoiler)
Renee
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will start off saying I love anything Sybil writes. Callous is no exception. Preston however is a fantastic exception to the standard alpha character. An amazing alpha character whose love language is silent...acts of service, not words of affirmation or physical touch. I understood Preston from the beginning as acts of service are my love language. Those who are not as observant to acts of service misunderstand the lack of words and touch as Mercy did. I have always thought no one would top ...more
Cheryl O'Harney
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC read in return for an honest review.

Sybil Bartel has only gone and smashed it out the ballpark with Callous.

In this brilliantly written intense, emotional gut wrenching five star read we get to know more behind the cold and calculated man of mystery Preston Vos, whats his story? Whats made him the broody, possessive man that he is today? Like Ive already said we get to know more of him and his background, were also introduced to Mercy and her young son Nash, those familiar with Ms Bartels
Grace
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did we read the same book?

## How did this book get all these amazing reviews? Omg, this book was frustrating beyond belief. The hero couldn't make up his mind! His hot and cold act, his secrets, his running off, never answering any questions...I wanted to smack him. He was insane, constantly spouting nonsense. I'm not talking about his OCD counting, I get that, but all the other things that didn't make any sense. He was secretive and evasive. The heroine kept telling him that she wanted him, yet
Mia Searles (The Muses Circle)
Holy Mary Mother of God...what did I just read? I can't remember the last time I felt so consumed by a story and the characters that drive it. I loved Preston when Sybil Bartel introduced him as a secondary character in a previous Alpha Bodyguard book. But in Callous, I fell IN LOVE with Preston. Hopelessly. Irrevocably. Instant and all-consuming.

Preston and Mercy have history. It's sort of a second chance romance. Bartel opens the story with how they first met and the instant attraction they
Claire
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another strong romance from Sybil Bartel.

Preston is brooding and hard to read. Makes for a perfect dominant character.

This is another cracking lead man from Bartel's imagination, this one tattooed to within an inch of his life and full of so much raw emotion it's hard not to fall in love with him.

I can't wait for our next installment.
Mirabella
Could have been 5 stars but I didnt like the h. The H was wonderful and the story well written. ...more
LianaReads blog
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second husband ❤

Each person has a story to tell, each one of us has decisions to make along the time, some will bring us joy and happiness some will bring us sadness and hurt. Nevertheless we have to live with it. If a second chance at changing one of those moments in our past comes along, dont waste time and just do it. Thats what Ive felt learning again from Prestons story.
Its a story full of angst and more emotional than most of Sybils books, a story that will give you a lot of feelings of
Zephyrfl
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

This was the first book I've ever read from this author and I will definitely be reading more. The story was fast paced and kept me interested the entire time. I started with book six in the series because it was in New Releases and I couldn't resist the cover. Now I'll go back and start at one.
Michelle
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second chance winner

Loved the story, but I wish he had gone after her. All worked out for good in the end, of course.
Pamela Hooper
True Love and Fate verses The Test of Time

First off I want to tell you that I absolutely love this story. Sybil takes you on a ride with this book Callous that is filled with so much emotion. You feel everything from sadness, betrayal, longing, loss, heartache, regret, angst, excitement, suspense, happiness, laughter and more. Sybil outdid herself when writing this amazing book.

Preston is a mysterious complicated man plagued by the things he has seen and experienced in his lifetime between his
KittyLuvr
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again Ms. Bartel delivers a superior, intense emotionally gut wrenching romance for her readers.
Preston Vos (Hero), a Marine is huge, gorgeous, muscled & virtually silent. And when on rare occasion he does utter a word or two, his deep voice enthralls Mercy (heroine) & sets all her senses a-tingle.
But the 1st time Preston & Mercy meet, he is a Marine on short leave staying the weekend with his commanding officer Ty Asher (Hero in Fearless) & Ty's sister Mercy. Ty warns
Em
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: six-stars
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

When the story jumped five years, and it seemed they had both moved in with their lives, I put the book down. Thankfully I went on bookreads and read a review that convinced me to keep on reading.

THANK GOD I DID !!!

This book is so good, so strong, so gripping, so well-written, so painful, so harsh, so honest and oh so beautiful.

It did involve a trigger I seriously cant handle, but the story never went into details or lingered on it, so I managed to still feel connected to the story.

Jeriann Fisher
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 6 in Sybil Bartell's  Alpha Bodyguard is something  of an enigma, like the hero. Overall 5 stars.

This story is not quite so high octane action of the previous Alpha bodyguard books. There's some action in the beginning that sets up the story but as the story takes off its really a dive into the mind of the hero Preston Vos. He is the man of few words who has been a supporting character in the previous books.

There've been hints of Bad Blood between Preston and Ty, the hero of book 5, and in
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It only took seventeen minutes for Mercy's life to change forever, one little mistake in a vulnerable moment that has haunted her everyday since... one that cost her a chance at everything should could ever want. Or has it?

The moment Preston Vos's landed on her face he knew she was the one, the one woman who may just be able to sneak past all his defenses, and give him the life he has always craved. But before he could make his move he had some things to do, so he asked her to wait for him,
Bree Rock N Read
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes, yes! Callous is absolute perfection.

One mistake. Seventeen minutes.

Holy angst, this book had me from the first line.

Mercy is Tys sister. A sassy heroine with a feisty mouth. A mother. Her heart is big and broken.

Preston is the damaged hero. Tragic background. Rough exterior. A man of few words. Every word he breathes hold such deep meaning and is spoken with purpose.

He protects from the shadows. But what happens when seventeen minutes changes everything? One mistake. Years of
Mack Black
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WTF did I just read?? With each new book added to the Alpha Bodyguard series, Sybil outdoes herself. I waited so hard for this book. I wanted Preston's story like no other before him.
I wanted inside that head of his because he was a man of few words and the words he did speak were sort of riddle like.
I don't know what I expected coming into this book but Sybil BLEW me away.
Preston is so much more than I bargained for. Hes everything and nothing all at once. His riddles. His calculations. His
Kris Raney
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Sybil Bartel puts words on a page they come to life. Her stories are so raw and so intense that you can feel them in your mind, heart, and soul. You can feel the touch on your skin and you can feel the emotions in your heart like you are there feeling it, breathing it, and living it. When I was reading callous there were times when I would get aggravated and wish I could Reach through the pages and shake preston and mercy because neither of them could see what was right in front of them. ...more
Kristin
Powerful, Heartbreaking, Compelling Story + Love = Callous
5 Stars

Callous is a captivating and exceptional story! It will take the reader on a rollercoaster ride from beginning to end. I absolutely love Preston and Mercy. Both Preston and Mercy have their own insecurities and doubts, but together they make each other stronger. Preston is a heavily tattooed Marine with a heartbreaking past. Mercy is his military buddy & friends sister. Callous is a unique story with realistic characters, lots
Peggy
5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I am such a huge fan of this author. I started reading Sybils books when she first put out Talon and I fell in love with her books and have been a fan ever since. I dont even care what she writes about, I just pre-order and book time off to read undisturbed. Callous is a little bit different then the rest of the series. We first met Preston in Sawyers book, Ruthless. This story centres around Preston, a very complicated and mysterious, yet all alpha hero male bodyguard and tys s Sister,
Nicole Levy
Anything by Sybil Bartel is a no-brainer read for me, and despite my 3-star rating, I did enjoy Callous. In fact, I loved Preston, the heat between him and Mercy, and getting to see so many of the other Luna Associates guys... I just had some trouble with the all the will-they-won't-they and back and forth in this story.

I found myself huffing in frustration a few times for some serious inner-turmoil-stupidity, but I still devoured the book pretty quickly. Pieces of the story are original. A lot
Leslee
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Obsession thy name is Preston Vos. Regret thy name is Mercy Asher. Two people drawn together but separated by words and deeds. I cannot tell you, there aren't enough adjectives in the English language to describe my love for Preston! I am a sucker for the broken, damaged hero and Preston is their poster child. Mercy is a woman that I like and hate in equal measure. That said, I wanted to smack her more than I wanted to hug her and lets leave it at that. Sybil Bartel is a superlative writer, she ...more
Terri Moore
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was different than the rest of the other Alpha Bodygaurd series and that was a-okay with me. If youre looking for non-stop action you wont find it in Preston and Mercys story. Nope, all of that adrenaline went into them trying to climb out of their massive avalanches of guilt, shame, anger, and my favorite lust. Sybil hits you with some hard truths here and some of those are pretty upsetting. There wasnt anything easy about their journey and that made the HEA even more satisfying here. ...more
Sandra
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received Callous by Sybil Bartel as an ARC for an honest review.

We meet Marine & Alpha Bodyguard Preston; he is tall, dark, hot quiet and mysterious
Mercy is sister to Preston's CO; she is beautiful, petite, sassy and mouthy as hell.
From page one I felt the connection between these two... and then things happened & created chaos....

Read to find out more 😁

The story is well written and as always Sybil rocked it!!
Love that the main characters were fully developed. And the chemistry
Jessa Dahmes
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've always been drawn to the broken, bad boys. The angst filled men who have tragic backstories and don't know traditional/expected ways to show they care. I knew Preston was going to come with his own luggage set of emotional trauma, but he was so much more. I understand why Sybil said to keep reading past the first few chapters. It's admittedly hard to accept the main characters' early actions, although they do make sense for the circumstances. But, if you keep reading you come to understand ...more
BookPauper
The story had a big handful of my reading no-nos, but the biggest one is characters that have misunderstandings because they dont talk. There was SO much of that here. From both of them. Its great when an author can get me to believe the reasons why the characters arent talking but I didnt get that here. He followed her for years after me their misunderstanding. SEVEN YEARS. She knows hes there. He pays for her groceries and coffee and leaves without talking to her. They dont talk. They dont ...more
Tameka
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was awesome. Two people who's lives shaped them into the people they are didn't take the time to fully listen and understand what the other person was saying. Thereby, they allowed time to get away from them but, don't worry they eventually see the error of their ways. The HE A comes but, before that a lot of heart ache. Buckle up and take this ride you won't regret it.

The only that could have made this better for me (and the reason for my 4 instead of 5 star review) would have been
« previous 1 3 next »

• Before We Fall (Stone Lake #3)
  • Anselm (Alpha One Security #6)
  • Guts & Glory: Walker (In the Shadows Security, #4)
  • Veils (The Killers #4)
  • Flame (Men of Inked: Heatwave, #1)
  • Guts & Glory: Hunter (In the Shadows Security, #3)
  • Chosen Mate (Crescent Moon #9)
  • The Fall of Legend (Legend Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last Call
  • Censored Soul (Unquiet Mind Book 5)
  • House of Scarlett (Legend Trilogy Book 2)
  • Desperate to Touch (Hard to Love #2)
  • Lear (Alpha One Security #5)
  • The Wrong/Right Man
  • Daddy's Sweet Girl (Montana Daddies, #3)
  • Revenge (Reckless Renegades MC, #1)
  • The Protector: Mac (Cover Six Security, #1)
  • Lethal Balance (Sons of the Survivalist, #2)
Sybil grew up in Northern California with her head in a book and her feet in the sand. She used to dream of becoming a painter but the heady scent of libraries with their shelves full of books about wistful summer days and first loves drew her into the world of storytelling.

Sybil now resides in Southern Florida and while she doesn't get to read as much as she likes, she still buries her toes in

Alpha Bodyguard (8 books)
  • Scandalous (Alpha Bodyguard, #1)
  • Merciless (Alpha Bodyguard, #2)
  • Reckless (Alpha Bodyguard, #3)
  • Ruthless (Alpha Bodyguard, #4)
  • Fearless (Alpha Bodyguard, #5)
  • Relentless (Alpha Bodyguard, #7)
  • Shameless (Alpha Bodyguard, #8)