Start by marking “The Switch” as Want to Read:
The Switch

The Switch

Eileen is sick of being 79.
Leena's tired of life in her twenties.
Maybe it's time they swapped places...

When overachiever Leena Cotton is ordered to take a two-month sabbatical after blowing a big presentation at work, she escapes to her grandmother Eileen's house for some overdue rest. Eileen is newly single and about to turn eighty. She'd like a second chance at love, but

Expected publication: April 30th 2020 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about The Switch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Switch

Start your review of The Switch
Emer (A Little Haze)
Last year (Jan 2019) I had the good fortune of reading Beth O'Leary's debut novel, The Flatshare, as an ARC from NetGalley and it was a book that really gave me great hope in her abilities as a writer because she managed to find a fresh and unique spin on the romantic dramedy genre of fiction...

And with this new novel The Switch she has once again shown that she is a brilliant storyteller in this area.

I loved this book.

Utterly loved it.

It gave me all the feels I could ever have hoped for and
✨ A ✨
Jun 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-release
I thought this was going to be like a Freaky Friday movie body switch. And then I reread the blurb and realised it's a place swap not a body swap *face palms*
That's what I get for skimming through blurbs.
_____
My review of The Flatshare
Abby Jimenez
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, what to say about this book. I guess I should start by mentioning that I gave it the highest honor—I read it with my eyeballs lol. I do audiobooks. It's reeeeeally hard for me to get to a paperback. I just blew through this.

The world is light and charming and I particularly loved getting Eileen's POV in this. It really kept the pages moving for me because I couldn't decide who I liked best, Leena or her grandmother, and I wanted to keep reading to get to their next chapters.

This is
KristynRene The Hype Queen of Books
So we have a The Holiday featuring Jack Black, Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, and Jude Law-Esque scenario by an author already proven to craft unexpectedly marvelous stories of self discovery and romance?

And this comes out when???
Stacey (prettybooks)
Beth O'Leary's The Flatshare was a huge hit with me and so The Switch – out April 2020 – is one of my most anticipated releases. I read it during my Christmas break and it was the perfect choice – warm, uplifting and totally different to anything else I've read lately.

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.

#gifted: Thank you to the publisher for sending me this book for free in exchange for an honest review!
Reyes
ARC kindly provided by Quercus Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!

When I requested an ARC of The Switch I thought it had the potential to be brilliant or a total disaster... I loved the author's first book and I was happy to find here some the things that I enjoyed so much in The Flatshare. Mixing a heavily emotional story with lighter and often funny topics is a good choice here, and I think both are done skilfully. My problem is that at some point the lighter topics
Zubs Malik
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I waited a whole year for this book. And then it was all over in under six hours. Hey Beth? Where is book three please….

I am offering this super mini review to entice you all because I KNOW a lot of you are patiently (okay, not so patiently – I’m looking at you @bringmybooks ) waiting to get your hands on a copy of Beth’s new book and let me tell you something - it will be worth the wait.

I did not think that she would be able to top the incredible premise that was The Flat Share, but this book
Penelope
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An uplifting and inspirational novel about love, grief, friendship and community. Packed full of wonderful characters who make you laugh, cry and cheer along. Dual viewpoint narratives often get on my nerves as I always favour one over the other but not in this book. Both main characters were equally engaging, and I loved spending time with them both. This is exactly the kind of fiction we need in these dark and troubling times.
Fabulous Book Fiend
This is one of my most anticipated reads of 2020!
Clair Sharpe
Amazing - Beth O'Leary has done it again! I'll share my full review nearer publication day but it is safe to say I absolutely loved it!
what.heather.loves
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I breathe out slowly, my paintbrush suspended in mid-air. It's easy to forget when you're missing someone, that they're more than just the person you remember: they have sides to themselves they only show when other people are around."

29 year old Leena Cotton, a project manager, lives in London with boyfriend Ethan. Her 79 year old grandma, Eileen Cotton, lives in the Yorkshire Dales, in the fictional village of Hamleigh-in-Harksdale. Following the death of beloved sister, Carla and mistakes
Rachel
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
*With thanks to Netgalley & the publishers for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, all opinions are my own.*

My library book club were lucky enough to receive her first book, 'The Flat Share' for free to review on the radio and so I was excited to read this book through Netgalley as I was in the mood for an uplifting book. Of the two, I think that I preferred this novel as I love the idea of 'The Switch', with a grandmother and granddaughter swapping lives for eight
Jodie Matthews
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won the @netgalley lottery and received The Switch by the brilliant Beth O’Leary, published by the equally brilliant @quercusbooks to review.
The Switch made me cry, just a little. Once, in a scene between mother and daughter, shouting at each other, furious with grief. And then again, at the end, a tender moment, a quiet ending.
I stayed up too late to finish all 300 and something pages of The Switch in one day- as soon as I knew I could read it, I felt I had to. Beth O’Leary, to me, is an
Dabarai
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, read-2019, fiction
It is never too late to start a new chapter in your life. Leena Cotton and her grandma, Eileen Cotton, decide to swap places for two months - both are dealing with some serious issues, each of them needs a change of scenery and a space to think. Eileen is moving to fancy apartment in London, a place she once dreamed of conquering, and Leena comes to a small village in Yorkshire to take care of her estranged mother and keep up with all the village projects and gossip. This idea might not sound ...more
Lindsay
Thank you to Netgalley for advanced copy of this book.

The Switch, takes you on a witty and uplifting journey between London and Yorkshire as Leena Cotton is forced to take a sabbatical due to making a big mistake at work. She decides to switch places with her grandmother, Eileen, who wishes to fulful her dream of living in London after her husband has recently left her.

The 2 month adventure has lots of postives for both Leena and Elieen and ultimately allow them both to see the imortant things
Clare
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I adored Beth O'Leary's first book, The Flatshare, since it was original and entertaining, so I was super hyped to read The Switch. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed, as it was very predictable, slow and both main characters were awful.

For majority of this book, literally nothing happens. Leena basically goes to village meetings, and deals with the villages and family drama, while Eileen’s in the city talking to men off a dating website.

I was expecting a lot more romance in this, but
Kavya | aworldinpages
A slow but entertaining, and complete with vibrant characters - older ones stole the show!

Won't lie, post The Flatshare, I was expecting a contemporary romance along similar lines, and equally fun, if not more. This one is different and honestly quite fresh.

It's not really a romance, although it's a part of this book, but more about relationships with people - the ones around us as well as the ones in our family. There's a quirkiness in Beth O'Leary's writing and despite having read only one
Clare
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing
2 stars!

For majority of this book, literally nothing happens. Leena basically goes to village meetings, and deals with village and family drama, while Eileen’s in the city talking to men off a dating website.

I was expecting a lot more romance in this, but
Εvdokia Veloudou  (velvetreads)
This is the second time I read something by Beth O'Leary (granted this is her second novel) and I am now a true fan of her genre. I know that the moment I pick up her book it is bound to make me feel better, make me relax and ultimately even deliver a meaningful message across. The Switch for me was a wonderful little treat, keeping me company at night and making me immerse myself into the two main characters' lives. It was sweet, heart-warming and uplifting that I will for sure be recommending ...more
Last Book Marauder
Oh my goodness! It has a cover. And it's perfect!! ...more
yorkshirebooknerd
Ah I loved it! What a fantastic book to read just before Christmas too

Full review to follow
Beth  Rose
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stand by this tweet.

Full review for NetGalley to come

Edit 8/12/19 - Full Review Has Arrived!!

Get it here!

May, for me, is Chick Lit/Rom Com month. It's the one month of the year that I go nutso for some good fun Romance novels and try to devour as many as possible. One title I came across was Beth O'Leary's debut novel, the Flatshare. It was adorable and heartfelt and everything I could want in a very English Rom Com. It was the absolute contender for my "Cutest Book of 2019" and unlikely to
Richard Thompson
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Goodreads synopsis of this book hardly does it justice. The book is much better than the synopsis would lead a potential reader to expect. I would never have realized from reading the synopsis that this a well-written story of healing, authenticity and caring populated with fun quirky characters and told with a distinctive original authorial voice.

A year after the loss of Leena's beloved sister, Carla, to cancer, the three generations of Cotton family women are still grieving and seem to be
Bryony Indecisive Reader
Thanks to NetGalley for an early copy of this book for review.

Usually when I get a book on NetGalley, I try to read it close to the release date, so I can remember and talk about it when it comes out. But I just couldn’t resist. I wanted so desperately to jump back into Beth O’Leary’s writing and, let’s be honest, of course I’ll read it again in April.

The Switch tells the story of Leena and Eileen, a granddaughter-grandmother pair, who switch lives for two months for a bit of a shakeup to
book bruin
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a heartwarming and uplifting novel. I loved how Beth O'Leary put her own unique spin on the trading places premise. I don't think that I have ever read a novel with an older main character quite like Eileen Cotton. She was hilarious and vivacious and I can only hope that I'm half as entertaining when I'm her age. I loved that it was Eileen out there dating and really embracing life and its adventures. It was a wonderful role reversal and contrast to her granddaughter, Leena. The ...more
Heidi
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading The Flatshare, I knew that I wanted to read more from Beth O'Leary. The Switch has bumped her up to my list of authors whose books I will automatically buy without even bothering to read the synopsis.

The Switch is a beautifully written story about two women, grandmother Eileen and granddaughter Leena (a nickname for Eileen), who are both stuck in their lives after the death of Carla, Leena's sister. After Leena is sent on a forced sabbatical by her boss, they decide to switch
Sara Oxton
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Switch by Beth O’Leary a five-star read that you won’t want to switch for anything. Beth O’Leary wrote one of my favourite books to recommend the Flat share and she has managed to do it again; I know I can recommend these two to anyone and they will have great read no matter what genre they read. This was a great story and even just the descriptions of the Dales had my eyes shining as you could see the emotion coming through the description, it was so detailed and well done that you could ...more
Priya Shrinath
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I heard author Beth is writing a new book I immediately wanted to read it as soon I get the chance and I'm very thankful to Quercus Books for granting my wish with a review copy.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Flatshare like several other readers and have not yet found a noteworthy romantic fiction till date. And she has done it again with this book, although it's nothing like her previous novel. She has managed to create unforgettable lovely characters in her book that could become your new
Elizabeth Currie
What a heartwarming book! Having read and loved The Flatshare I was very excited to get into this and it certainly did not disappoint - more than just another romance, O'Leary has created another fun, entertaining and ultimately uplifting read.

The story of a grandmother and granddaughter, Eileen and Leena, who swap homes for 8 weeks and navigate aspects of each others lives while they try and re-find themselves, it is a story of family, grief, friendships and relationships that draws you in,
Lissanne Daamen

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me an ARC for this book.

---
"Men. They always bloody let you down, don't they?"

4.5/5 stars

Well, that was such a lovely, feel-good read! It seems like a sweet book at first, but when you actually start reading, there's so many layers of important theme's that the author deals with, that it's so much more than a feel-good book. Grief, abuse, adultery, loneliness, it's all in there, and it's done so brilliantly.

I really liked the concept of

• In Five Years
  • Pine
  • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
  • Pretending
  • A Gift in December
  • The Sight of You (The Sight of You, #1)
  • The Memory Wood
  • Last Christmas
  • The Confession
Beth studied English at university before going into children’s publishing. She lives as close to the countryside as she can get while still being within reach of London, and wrote her first novel, The Flatshare, on her train journey to and from work.
You’ll usually find her curled up with a book, a cup of tea, and several woolly jumpers (whatever the weather).