Start by marking “Antologia da Literatura Fantástica” as Want to Read:
Antologia da Literatura Fantástica

Antologia da Literatura Fantástica

Numa noite de 1937, ao conversar sobre ficções fantásticas, três amigos — Jorge Luis Borges, Adolfo Bioy Casares e Silvina Ocampo — resolveram criar uma antologia com seus autores preferidos. Do filósofo Martin Buber ao explorador Richard Burton, passando pela tradição dos contos orientais, além de Cortázar, Kafka, Cocteau, Joyce, Wells e Rabelais, são 75 histórias — não ...more
Published April 23rd 2019 by Companhia das Letras (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Antologia da Literatura Fantástica, please sign up.
Mariana Lisboa There are texts from lots of different languages, english, spanish, italian, french, Chinese and so on, so no matter what language you read there's…moreThere are texts from lots of different languages, english, spanish, italian, french, Chinese and so on, so no matter what language you read there's always going to have a translation, so pick the one you're more comfortable with.(less)

Start your review of Antologia da Literatura Fantástica
Glenn Russell
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

In Argentina, even the public art can be fabulous and haunting

A truly outstanding collection from the libraries of world literature, some ancient, mostly modern; ninety stories of fantasy and the fantastic with many familiar authors such as John Aubrey, J.G. Ballard, Ambrose Bierce, Ray Bradbury, Lewis Carroll, Jean Cocteau, James Joyce, Franz Kafka, Rudyard Kipling, Leo Tolstoy, Voltaire, Edith Warton, Oscar Wilde and Evelyn Waugh.

For the purposes of my review I will focus on one tale I found
Florencia
What an addictive book! Borges, Bioy Casares and Ocampo chose some short stories and fragments of other works that really caught my interest. Especially the ones that seemed to influence Borges -my favorite of all three-; stories where the boundaries between dreams and reality disappear completely. Suddenly, you find the head of the dragon you killed last night in your dream.
My biggest problem (that depressed me quite a bit) is that I found a lot of writers that I've never heard of. And I liked
Maureen
cross-posted at booklikes and the mo-centric universe.

originally posted in 2010.

at first blush, i was excited to find this anthology because nothing would suit me better than to sit at Jorge Luis Borges' knee, and have him tell what his favourite stories were, or even have him read them to me. of course, this book was not just edited by Borges, but also Silvina Ocampo, and Adolfo Bioy Casares, who is quoted thusly by Ursula K. Le Guin in the intro, saying the book came out of a conversation
Zach
81 stories in 384 pages. That averages out to 4.74 pages per story, but in fact half of the pieces here are roughly a page or less - fragments, folk tales, myths, very brief allegories, and so on. I can’t fully articulate why this was so disappointing to me, but it made the book feel rather empty and ephemeral. Of the remaining, fuller stories, many just fell flat for me, and several others I read relatively recently in Alberto Manguel’s Black Water: The Book of Fantastic Literature (a ...more
Rhys
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been dipping into this volume for the past two decades (I bought it in 1991) but this is the first time I have read it all the way through from the beginning to the end... It's a magnificent anthology of fantastical fiction from many ages and cultures and it introduced me to many writers I previously had known nothing about.

For instance, the opening story in the book, 'Sennin' by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa, so impressed me that I went out and bought an Akutagawa collection published by Penguin
Jason
Jun 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well to begin with this is not Fantasy as in the modern sense but tales of the fantastical but in my opinion even that is using the term loosely. I feel that this book of stories chosen by Jorge Luis Borges and his friends were either very personal to them or appreciate on a scholarly level. As the feeling towards them was not shared; only a few of the stories i enjoyed. The compilation started of okay and went down hill from there. They story don stand the passage of time as they are from the ...more
Robin Goodfellow
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many interesting stories and odds n ends. This is really more of 3 star for me, except that the highlights were so excellent I had to grant them an extra star. The stories by JG Ballard, Edith Wharton, Tolstoy, and B Traven stood out among those I was unfamiliar with.
Juliana
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _avant-france
2.5

hhsmNskldnanahsgakalndbeb

2 YEARS after starting this one I finally finished!! Really... I should just start giving up on books... But in the end I read some pretty solid short stories.. Buut overall I didn’t like the book :/
Mir
May 05, 2015 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The metaphysicians of Tlon are not looking for truth, or even for an approximation of it; they are after a kind of amazement. They consider metaphysics a branch of fantastic literature.
Scribe
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The term "Fantasy" in modern culture seems to have become something of a twisted niche - often now associated with lands of Tolkien-style creatures and epic battles. But this collection of short stories, put together by Borges, Ocampo and Casares, returns to the roots of what it means to be "fantastic". The compendium, gathered from all over time and space, is large and diverse, but brought together through a simple desire to explore the imagination.

Folk tales, Chinese dream stories, ghost
Roger Boyle
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to get this too for Nigel's Halloween event.

I've been a fan of Borges for as long as I can recall - he was a cult vogue in the 70s and I was an enthusiastic follower. I think this was a good choice.

This is a long anthology - some of the pieces are well known or by well known authors; others are from people I have never heard of (often translated from Spanish); others again (I A Ireland?) might not even exist. While I have not read all the pieces, I have read most and they are of uniformly
Chak
The author list in this is unbelievable! JG Ballard, Jorge Juis Borges, Ray Bradbury, Lewis Carroll, Jean Cocteau, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Rudyard Kipling, James Joyce, Edgar Allan Poe, Emanuel Swedenborg, Evelyn Waugh, Edith Wharton, Oscar Wilde, Voltaire, and more!!!!! After reading around 60 pages: I was so excited to start reading this, and I'm finding the stories pointless at best. Just finished the JG Ballard story, which is one of the ones I was looking forward to the most. Well-written, but ...more
Justine
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
An absolute gem. I've bought this book four or five times now to give away. Let's roll back to say, the 1940's. What are the best fantastical, mystical, ghostly, otherworldly stories that have ever been written? In other words, what inspired and interested Borges? This book.

No more to say! Just read it. It's great. You'll see lots of familiar writers and unfamiliar ones too. Primarily European pieces, but also many Latin American legends and fiction, and even some East Asian fairy tales.

I doled
Rachel
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming collection of early fantasy stories before there was a name for the genre. Unsurprisingly, given Borges and his crew, there are very few stories by women. But I enjoyed that there were a large number of stories by Argentinian authors I hadn’t heard of. Most of the stories skew more into the category of “is it magic or isn’t it,” like uncanny coincidences, and some have elements of horror or just a vague unsettlingness. My absolute favorite was “The Man Who Collected the First of ...more
Heather
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As with any anthology, the entries are of uneven quality and hold different levels of interest for me. The main problem, though, was that the edition I had from the library was one of the worst edited books I have ever seen. The typos were so numerous that sometimes I couldn't figure out what was being said, and at one point a number of pages were completely transposed, so that the ending of a story appeared four pages before the end!
Joseph Panno
Ok so I read the english version of this anthology although the only version of it I could find on goodreads is spanish(?). It has a few interesting stories and a few others that are merely a paragraph or sentence long. The one thing that ALMOST all of these stories have in common is that, once again recently, THEY ARE NOT FANTASY! They're barely even speculative fiction. I'll admit there are some off kilter stories here by famous writers but they just don't qualify(to me) as fantasy.
Marcelo
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the fantastic tale's presented by Jorge Luis Borges, Adolfo Bioy Casares and Silvina OCampo. It isn't a book only about fantastic literature, there are stories talking about purpose of our life, politics and what is real or not. Tales like "Histórias Universais" from Olaf Stapledon remembers us about infinite possibilities of our world or Tsao Hsue-Kin who created the tale "O sonho infinito de Pao Yu" which we feel we can't scape from the dream.

Harold
Historic as the first (or one of the first) anthologies to employ the term Fantasy as a genre. It's a collection of short stories selected by Borges, Bioy Casares and Silvina Ocampo. for me, as with most short story collections, it's the type of book you keep around and pick up when you're in the mood for a short story.
Jacob
Aug 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding anthology of "fantastic" fiction compiled by a dream team of Jorge Luis Borges, Adolfo Bioy Casares, and Silvina Ocampo. Because the book (my edition, anyhow) was published in the U.S. by a genre press, it suffers from poor design, an awful cover, and numerous typos. It's a treasure, nevertheless.
Janessa Lantz
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of short stories from writers around the world.

These were three of my favorite:
The Drowned Giant by J.G. Ballard
The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs
Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius by Jorge Luis Borges
Jonathan
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this at the library, because of a story from Macedonio Fernandez that was referenced in another book I was reading. That story, "Tantalia," ended up being kind of a disappointment, but lots of other cool stuff in here.
Dan
Jan 10, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I will probably never finish this book.
Jami
May 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was lent to me by a friend. I'm finding it difficult to read. It's very depressing. It's reminding me why I tend to shy away from fantasy that is a about "god".
S.
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some junky translating going on here and there, but for the most part a great collection.
Julie
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Only a few memorable stories, the rest were odd or dull or too old or too foreign for my understanding. There were one or two that will stick with me, so it was worth the long read.
Juan
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of short stories in the fantasy genre. Especially one chilling story name Enoch Soames by Max Beerbohm.
Mariana Lisboa
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good selection, enjoyed most of it but some were quite boring. But it's totally worth reading.
Bonnie Ferrante
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collected stories all the way back to the Roman Empire. Very different. Literary. Some stories still surprisingly suspenseful and easy to read. Long lost masters of fantasy and light horror.
Papermoon
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A perfume inspired me to read this book, both the scent and the stories recaptured my childhood sense of wonder. This book is for dreamers.
Grupo de lectura ...: Libro para empezar 1 5 Jan 06, 2018 01:50PM

• Bestiario
  • Sobre héroes y tumbas
  • El juguete rabioso
  • The Invention of Morel
  • Las cosas que perdimos en el fuego
  • Blanco nocturno
  • Enoch Soames
  • Todos los fuegos el fuego
  • Cuentos completos 1
  • El llano en llamas
  • Las armas secretas
  • Cuentos de amor, de locura y de muerte
  • Respiración artificial
  • El último lector
  • Julio Cortázar: Rayuela (Critical Guides to Spanish Texts)
  • Crónicas del Ángel Gris
  • Letter to His Father
Winner of the Gran Premio de Honor da Sociedad Argentina de Escritores (1975), the Cervantes Award (1990) and the Légion d’Honneur da França (1981), Adolfo Bioy Casares (Buenos Aires, 1914-1999) is one of the main writers of the XX century. Also a journalist and translator, he was a friend and collaborator with his fellow countryman Jorge Luis Borges, with whom he wrote six books and created the ...more