Start by marking “The Street of Clocks: Poems” as Want to Read:
The Street of Clocks: Poems

The Street of Clocks: Poems

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Street of Clocks, Thomas Lux's first all-new collection since 1994, is a significant addition to the work of an utterly original, highly accomplished poet. The poems gathered here are delivered by a narrator who both loves the world and has intense quarrels with it. Often set against vivid landscapes - the rural America of Lux's childhood and unidentified places south ...more
Published February 12th 2003 by Mariner Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Street of Clocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Street of Clocks

Gerry LaFemina
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the wake of Tom's sudden death, I reread some of the books I don't know quite so well. This book captures Lux in all his ironic, somewhat off kilter, darkly humorous poems that he manages to pack with pathos and a wry shaking of the head at what it means to be human--our cruelty and hipocrisy and joy.
Ben Howard
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure if it’s because I hold Lux to a high standard, my mood at the time, or if it was the material, but it took me a little while to get into The Street of Clocks. The first poem I really enjoyed was “The Handsome Swap” (9). The childish tone paired with personification and then a slight dark twist made it both accessible and intriguing. In general, I would say that is one of Lux’s main strengths. He imagines extremely strange scenarios but then some how manages to make them relevant and ...more
Craig
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
It's not often that a book of poetry leaves me feeling detached.

Thomas Lux was recommended to me by several people whose judgement I trust, so I added him to my 'to-read' list and started with this one. I'm not sure I chose well.

It's not that I felt that there was no talent behind the verse. It's just that most of the time when I would finish a poem in this collection, I would just move on to the next one, unaffected.

That said, the poem at the end of the collection, "The Corner of Paris and Por
Tim Lepczyk
This collection didn't impress me the way that God Particles did. There were some great descriptions and rhymeschemes, but overall the language seemed a bit too editorial and angry. I came away from the poems with a lack of substance.
Wednesday Green
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Thomas Lux rocks my socks off. "The Voice You Hear When You Read Silently" is one of my favorite poems. I could talk about it for a long time, but then you would probably get bored. It's worth a read. Philosophy of Language in poetry. A nerd's paradise.
Mikelkpoet
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most awesome book of poems
that I have ever picked up. Lux has written a
page turner; I find myself burning through the
pages to get to the next great poem. I'm onto
his book, Split Horizon," next.
K
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: half-read
I read some of these and was not impressed, and with the list of things I want to read I just figured I didn't have time to read something that didn't engage my intrest within the first few poems.
Adam
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Lux writes a style of poetry I enjoy: focusing primarily on painting brief narratives. But none of the poems spoke to me deeply; I won't carry them with me the way I do the work of some other poets.
Aaron Cummings
Jul 31, 2016
Maureen
Apr 11, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Acclaimed poet and teacher Thomas Lux began publishing haunted, ironic poems that owed much to the Neo-surrealist movement in the 1970s. Critically lauded from his first book Memory’s Handgrenade (1972), Lux’s poetry has gradually evolved towards a more direct treatment of immediately available, though no less strange, human experience. Often using ironic or sardonic speakers, startlingly apt imag ...more
More about Thomas Lux...