Start by marking “The Black Stallion Challenged (Black Stallion, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion Challenged (Black Stallion, #16)

The Black Stallion Challenged (The Black Stallion #16)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  1,926 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The Black Stallion is the fastest horse in America and he and his jockey, Alec Ramsay, are training for a big race. Suddenly there comes a new challenger: Flame! An unproven racer, the Island Stallion can run like the wind and his jockey, Steve Duncan, knows that Flame will give the Black the race of his life. But what neither Steve nor Alec know, is that these two stallio ...more
Published September 12th 1964 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion Challenged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion Challenged

Wendy
Oct 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A far more realistic storyline than The Black Stallion and Flame, with those two facing off in a horse race. Other than the fact that Flame's owner, Steve, becomes a total pod person, I liked this one. I was, however, rather amused by the exclamation point in the title. Why?
Rena Sherwood
I read this dozens of times when I owned a paperback copy and yet I still cannot decide how many stars to give it. Maybe I'll need to buy myself a replacement copy to determine star value if Goodreads demands I do.

description

Although The Black Stallion Challenged! (don't forget that !) had many enjoyable elements (a great race -- Flame Vs The Black) it also had some cheesy elements (Steve wants to buy the island where Flame and his herd live). It's hard for me not to look back at this book without wearing
Melody
Sep 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Oh, Henry, you cranky old geezer! Oh, Steve, you hot-headed young punk! Oh, Alec, you wise-beyond-your-years paragon! Oh, Flame, you wild and unreliable stallion full of beauty and heart! Oh, Black, there aren't any words big enough for you, you are Horse Incarnate.

Which is to say, yes, more of the same, but who can quibble with races like these?
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Finally a horse that can give the Black Stallion a run for his money. The ending had to work out the way it did.
Mirrani
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, there are elements of the predictable in the Black Stallion series. Yes, this is one book that isn't all about adventure, being stranded on an island, wandering the desert, or surviving another plane or boat disaster. But this is a book by Walter Farley and I am certain that those who love horses, those who love the track, will enjoy this book from cover to cover. Farley writes racing like no one else can, making you believe you are living the book yourself. In this installment, where the B ...more
Kensie Linton
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main characters are Steve Duncan and Alec Ramsay. Steve Duncan has blonde hair and rides a red horse named Flame. Alec Ramsay rides a horse named the Black. This book takes place at Hialeah, Fla. The problem in this book is a guy named Steve Duncan writes a letter to Alec about his horse, Flame, and how he needs "help" to buy an island for his horse. He also puts in the letter that he thinks his horse is faster than the black. In the end Steve brings Flame to Hialeah and they end up racing t ...more
Josh
Feb 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"The Black Stallion Challenged" was a book that got intense in some parts but for the most part this book was not a very good book. The book was for much younger kids and the only reason I picked this book was because I thought I would still like the series. This book had a very limited vocabulary and also had a corny ending which I did not like. Overall this book is one of the worst books I have ever read and I will not read another one in this series again.
Skjam!
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young horse lovers
Recommended to Skjam! by: cover picture
Alec Ramsay and his faithful trainer Henry Dailey are wintering in Hialeah, Florida, where they hope to race their prize horse, the Black Stallion. Provided, of course, that the Black has fully recovered from the hoof injury he received some months back. One day Alec receives a piece of fan mail asking for his help. It seems that young Steve Duncan has a horse he’d like to race, a stallion named Flame…if he can convince the racetrack officials to let him.

Unbeknownst to Alec or Steve, Flame and t
Rose
This is a fast paced one! Literally and figuratively. Steve Duncan contacts Alec wanting to race Flame against the Black. Alec is very open to the challenge, but not in an aggressive way; Alec is the perfect sportsman. Steve has a chip on his shoulder and doesn't want to take any advice about racing. He knows his red stud will take the lead and keep it. While Alec sympathizes, he knows that his own horse is every bit as good, and this is one race that will be up to the riders.
I absolutely loved
Tania
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In an epic and inevitable story - the Black and Flame finally meet on the track. Steve Duncan travels to the U.S. with his horse in a bid to finally secure his future and his horse's safety. They have their eye on big money - and The Black.

It's an easy decision for me to root for Alec; I've never connected with Steve in the same way, and The Black Stallion is simply too much of a survivor for me to want anyone to best him. Still, tension remains throughout the story, regardless of who you root
Zoann
I read this childhood favorite for my work challenge. It does not break the Law of Sustainability: An author's ability to write well, especially for a series, deteriorates over time. (I'm guessing someone could graph this and show a direct inverse correlation between the number of books in a series and the quality of each book.) This is the 16th book in the Black Stallion series, and it is a lame sister compared to the first book. I did learn something about the business of horse racing in the 1 ...more
Texas State Poder
Have you ever been scared while being challenged in a race? The black stallion is a champion until an unproven racer with skills. Steve Duncan his owner thinks that he can beat the black. The black always wins with out a challenge. Flame proves in a workout that he can keep up with the black. Will the black have the race of his life? Read to find out if he will be defeated by the island horse Flame.

-Juan Romero
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, 20th-century

My Rating System:
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Jessica Timmons
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an extremely good book. But what I didn't like is Steve Duncan's character was changed into an arrogant snotty kid. He was definately different in this book then all the others. I highly recommend the book still.
Jacqueline
Extra 1/2 star.
Lori
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Jessica
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Kaitlyn
Such an amazing tale. Sadly it's the last book Flame appears in.
Jackie Krasuski
There was not a Black Stallion book that I could ever put down. The stories are the best.
Lynne
my daughter's book.
Diane Berry
Aug 04, 2013
Tristan B.
rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2017
Terrie Thelen
Oct 19, 2015
Megan
Jul 11, 2012
  • The Black Stallion and the Shape-Shifter (Black Stallion Returns, #3)
  • Born to Trot
  • Wonder's Champion (Thoroughbred, #21)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
“You need luck to keep going. It takes more than skill to stay alive.” 6 likes