Start by marking “Starburst” as Want to Read:
Starburst

Starburst

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  390 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The crew of the Constitution--scientists cum astronauts--had been carefully screened for extremely high intelligence and superb physical qualities. They were to be the first explorers sent to another stellar system. There they would explore the planet Alpha-Aleph and then return. They were the toast of the world press--true heroes, for they were to go where no man had gone ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 219 pages
Published November 12th 1983 by Del Rey (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Starburst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starburst

Gabriel Salter
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book starts out like a Star Trek episode - "these are the travelers of the starship Constitution, it's ten year mission, to explore the planet Alpha-Aleph in the Alpha Centauri system." But very quickly, Pohl takes the story in a whole new direction, into a tale about how much humans develop, what intellectual heights they can achieve, and whether they can overcome basic human nature. It is only 200 some pages, but Pohl puts more philosophy, tension, and science in there than many science fi ...more
Elar
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Superintelligent space crew going out of control when travelling to distant world. Nothing goes by the plan and humanity will soon be divided by millions of miles and vast difference in intelligence.
Book is easy to read and full of complex futuristic details.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Clayton Yuen
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
What a great premise for a scifi adventure, sending very smart couple into space to a nearby star, to colonize one of its planets. And, when we find out that there is no planet, and we watch and observe what the scientist will do . . . now, that's good stuff.

Unfortunately, about half way through this developing storyline, the story begins to lag and sputter, and then die. Page upon page of drivel, intense detail, that does not lead to an ultimate purpose . . . so what's the sense. None that I ca
John
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ippino
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
Brian Jeffreys
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this novel over 20 years ago. Pohl's idea of Goedelized math stood out as an off the chart, hard sci-fi idea. The crew of 8 sent into space to solve humanities problems via the age old mechanism of reason brought them to use a sophisticated compression algorithm, called Godelization. This allowed them to write a large document into a rather small arithmetic expression in which primes and letter positions were combined into something like: (3.875*12^26)! + 1973^854 +331^852 + 17^2008 + 3^9 ...more
Nina
Mar 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Just could not finish this book but made it halfway. The premise of human experimentation with pushing the limits of the mind in order to solve complex problems by putting some intelligent people aboard a spaceship for decades which will never reach its nonexistent planet is nice. But the writing rambled and the images were too abstract for me to follow - hydoponic babies , ghosts who speak , Asian chanting for days on end , descriptions of complex mathematical formulas. I was so confused.
Kate
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I love the way it unfolds. It starts in one place and travels through different little tunnels and ends up someplace so unexpected. I find the characters a little distant, but also so fantastic and intriguing. And I find it a very thought-provoking idea that we won't progress significantly evolutionarily until we have to. Very fun. Very well done.
John Abbott
Good book in general. The ideas are fairly solid, the story is good, the ending is actually well done. It's just that the book is a bit old and odd sounding between the characters. So I gave it a 3, might actually be 3.5
What's The Name o...: Sci-fi book, 1940's-1970's i believe [s] 6 45 Sep 30, 2013 04:55AM
  • Starstrike
  • Transvergence (Heritage Universe 3-4)
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • None But Man
  • Kingdoms of the Wall
  • Worlds (Worlds, #1)
  • Priam's Lens
  • Children of the Thunder
  • The Voyage of the Star Wolf (Star Wolf, #2)
  • Birth of Fire
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • The Last Starship from Earth
  • Chronicles of the Lensmen, Volume 1: Triplanetary / First Lensman / Galactic Patrol
  • The Candle of Distant Earth
  • Fall of the White Ship Avatar (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #3)
  • Achilles' Choice
  • The Exiles Trilogy (Exiles, #1-3)
  • Sunfall
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...