Start by marking “The Devil's Feather” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Feather

The Devil's Feather

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  2,497 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
"In 2002, five women are discovered barbarously murdered in Sierra Leone. Reuters Africa correspondent Connie Burns suspects a British mercenary: a man who seems to turn up in every war-torn corner of Africa, whose reputation for violence and brutality is well-founded and widely known. Connie's suspicions that he's using the chaos of war to act out sadistic, misogynistic f ...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Feather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Feather

Lance Greenfield
Oct 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
Psychological non-thriller

Having been totally captivated by every Minette Walters book that I have picked up in the past, The Devil's Feather came as a huge disappointment to me. It has to be the most unthrilling "thriller" that has ever appeared on my bookshelves.

It took some stamina to plough through nearly five hundred pages of the fictional ramblings of a self-obsessed woman who doesn't trust anyone around her and just moans and groans about her circumstances. To be fair to the author, ther
debra
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Audio I think audio format may have enhanced this book. I agree with Carol's opinion that "Minette Walters seldom disappoints and this book is no exception." Walters creates this tense, creepy atmosphere with a min of gory detail. I thought it was very good- narrator,characters, story, all of it.
Linda
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another mystery that I COULDN'T PUT DOWN. I sat aside two other books to finish this one as fast as I could because the story is so compelling. Minette Walters is a good writer and she spins a tale that is far from ordinary. British, she includes vernacular that is uncommon to most of us, but is descriptive and cryptic. The protagonist is Connie, a journalist, who has antagonized a mercenary while reporting in Iraq. She believes this man, who goes by many names, is responsible for the brutalizat ...more
Rubina
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
This book has a lot in common with the Millenium trilogy (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, etc.) It could well have been called "Men Who Hate Women," which was the original title of the first book. One of the female protagonists bears a striking resemblance to Lisbeth Salander both in appearance and personality.

Much of this novel falls outside the confines of the thriller genre. Many thriller authors focus on the exposition of crimes and the process of solving them. Walters delves into the psycholog
Asghar Abbas
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it

A Cautionary Tale of epic proportions, this was her most disturbing book. Will make you uneasy as it's meant to, well that's the hope anyway. It was disturbing because it skirted too close to reality.

Minette has always been careful of her monsters but the horror of this novel is that men like this exist in real world. But here's the silver lining, so does the heroic women like these to counter them.

What is it about this War between our own Kind?
what is it about
victim and oppressors
prey and h
Carol
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Minette Walters seldom disappoints me and this read was no exception. Devil’s Feather is psychological suspense at its best. What would it feel like to be a victim of a terrorist kidnapping? This is just what happens to Connie Burns, Reuter’s reporter. While working on a story in Sierra Leone about five women brutally murdered, she suspects a British mercenary. She has met this man before under different names and is certain he is using the backdrop of war as a cover for his sadistic murders. In ...more
Patricia Vocat
I almost gave up on this book 100 times. But I ploughed through it to the very end (a very talky and seemingly interminable ending), through all the ramblings of the very irritating main character, Connie, and the lifes of some village weirdos.

I was hoping for some surprises, but the course of action remained flat and so predictable.

A Psychopath is stalking a vulnerable woman. And oh shocker! The psychopath tries to kill said woman. Sadly, (view spoiler)
Deborah Pickstone
One I actually hadn't read by my very favourite suspense author. I remember thinking 'that was as near to perfect as I ever read' at the end of The Shape of Snakes and this is as good. Minette Walters does suspense in a most singular way, never really relying on horrific imagery to provide the adrenaline factor. I avoid the Horror genre as I hate being made to feel distressed; MW writes psychological suspense par excellence.
Rob
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm baffled by the 4-star avg rating this book has received. This book is filled with unlikable characters, has a slow plodding pace and is just generally un-thrilling. If this was the first Minette Walters book I read it would also be the last. Definitely not recommended!
Jassna Sammel
Dies war das bisher schwächste Buch, das ich von Minette Walters gelesen habe.
John
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This is I think the fourth Minette Walters I've read, and it's the first about which I've had strong reservations. The opening 250 pages or so are absolutely splendid -- every bit as good as expected -- but the final 100 or so just sort of meander unconvincingly.

Connie Burns is a war correspondent who picks up on the fact that a Glaswegian "security consultant" (i.e., mercenary) whom she encounters first in Sierra Leone and then in Baghdad, Keith Mackenzie, is taking advantage of the general soc
Geeta
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jim Francis
Recommended to Geeta by: Mark
Actually, listening. Which is weird, given how many emails go back and forth, but the book is well read, so I'm not having a problem following. I'm just losing patience with the narrator. So are all the other characters, so I'm assuming this is deliberate.

And I've been informed by another reader that bad things happen to dogs. Had I known this, I would never have started the book.

Update: Just as I thought I'd have to give up on the narrator--not unreliable by the book's standard but withholdin
Jenny E.
It' supposed to be a thriller but I would consider it more to be a snore. I was never frightened nor a tiny bit scared.

I thought it would be a 'sit-o-the-edge' read but it wasn't. The first 100 or so pages read like a chicklit book with the little added emails and reports in between chapters that were there to provoce the reader's curiosity. But I never felt curious. The book almost read like a thriller novel according to 'template 1A'.

It's sad that it was such a disappointment because I really
Mark
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another terrific potboiler from this prolific mystery writer. This time, the protagonist is a journalist who was kidnapped and brutally terrorized in Iraq, and who has retreated into the English countryside to recuperate. She befriends a neighbor woman lacking in all social graces and the doctor who attends the neighbor. The journalist, Connie Burns, though suffering from PTSD, shuns all atempts at help and is paralyzed by her fear of the man (MacKenzie) who is responsible for her attack. She ha ...more
Velvetink
Two plots. 1.A journalist's abduction in a war zone and 2. inheritance- I was looking for a connection - there was none other than the journalist had rented a house where the inheritance plot occurs. I kept thinking that a woman hiding out from an abductor would not be getting so involved in the lives & dramas of people who owned the house she was renting. Aside from that it was fast paced (mostly) - the email formated sections worked but it annoyed me no end.
Miriam Smith
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Minette Walters books now for years and her books are always professionally written with excellent storylines. This book had a brilliant plot and because there were only a few characters you truly felt connected to them. Maybe a little long, I did feel towards the end that I wanted it finished but I did thoroughly enjoy it and would recommend.
Kay
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was so much better than the last one I read of hers. I would have given it 3 1/2 stars if that had been available. Her characters were interesting and the plot was good enough that I didn't want to put it down. Since I have 3 more books of hers sitting in my library stack it gave me some hope to dive in and read.
Mya
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Loved this! Nail-biting. Mystery. Action. Good characters. Tantalising tid-bits of information that create a 'who dunnit' feel and make you want to keep reading to check whether your theories are correct. Also liked that she used emails/letters/reports in places to tell the story. Would like to read another of her books.
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it
There were moments where action was happening that I was so drawn into the story that I felt antsy sitting and reading instead of moving around, as if I could help. So for that, I give it high marks.

Most of the characters were unpleasant, though, which I don't like in a book. But there were a couple pleasant ones to balance them out.
Katherine
Jan 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
War zone journalist is abducted, and on her return to England struggles to protect her privacy as she tries to investigate the truth about her captor.
Very well done, sketching both a broad world stage and a small English village equally convincingly.
Izzy
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I usually really like Minette Walters but this fell flat for me. The characters weren't at all likeable and the mystery was inconclusive and didn't grip me in any way. I'd highly recommend her as an author, but just skip this one.
Elizabeth
Jun 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was compelled to write a letter to the author after reading this book, because her understanding of PTSD is incredible. Suffice to say that anyone who has been through a trauma will feel less alone after reading this book.
April
Jan 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I am addicted to Mystery novels. Yes, it is true. This read a little bit more like a current events thriller. I like Minette Walters. Her novels are much more disturbing than the other mysteries I generally read. But this one had me on the edge of my seat and I did enjoy the characters.
Sharon
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
I loved the first several Minette Walters books, but I thought this one was awful. I found it boring and I didn't like the protagonist. I think if I hadn't had such positive feelings about the author's previous books, I would not have finished this book.
Lani
I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of Minette Walters and stumbled across this book at the library, but I was enthralled from the beginning, and it never got dull. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Jan Shillington
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
The interaction between the main character and the psychopathic murderer was creepy and riveting. I was expecting a cat and mouse game. Hey! What happened? How did we end up in a sleepy village in England with a bunch of extraneous sub-plots? Ending was like horror movies where the girl goes to an empty house with open doors and no one nearby, while the creepy guy closes in. Wait, that is the story!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sections about torture were disturbing to read
Larisa
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not really a mystery, but a well-paced novel of suspense that reveals details about the war-correspondent narrator and her interactions with a strange, sociopathic man, one tantalizing drop at a time. I love Minette Walters's books because she delves deep into human psychology. I can't say I enjoyed this as much as some of her others (like The Sculptress and Scold's Bridle), but I was in the mood to immerse myself in a compelling novel and this definitely kept me in thrall for four days.
Irene
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great psychological thriller.
Emma
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read Walters for quite some time, this wasn't as good as I remembered her earlier books e.g. Scolds Bridle and The Ice House.
Helen.Styan
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scary but engrossing. Amazingly different main characters.
  • Simisola (Inspector Wexford, #16)
  • The House of Stairs
  • Dialogues of the Dead (Dalziel & Pascoe, #19)
  • Blood and Honey (DI Joe Faraday, #6)
  • The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4)
  • Unspeakable
  • Close to Home (Inspector Banks, #13)
  • With No One as Witness (Inspector Lynley, #13)
  • The Dead Hour (Paddy Meehan, #2)
Minette Walters (born 26 September 1949) is a British mystery writer. After studying at Trevelyan College, University of Durham, she began writing in 1987 with The Ice House, which was published in 1992. She followed this with The Sculptress (1993), which received the 1994 Edgar Award for Best Novel. She has been published in 35 countries and won many awards.

The Sculptress has been adapted for tel
More about Minette Walters...