Start by marking “Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)

Ship of Destiny

(The Liveship Traders #3)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  51,792 ratings  ·  1,494 reviews
As Bingtown slides toward disaster, clan matriarch Ronica Vestrit, branded a traitor, searches for a way to bring the city's inhabitants together against a momentous threat. Meanwhile, Althea Vestrit, unaware of what has befallen Bingtown and her family, continues her perilous quest to track down and recover her liveship, the "Vivacia, "from the ruthless pirate Kennit.
Bo
Published November 27th 2001 by Spectra Books (first published March 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ship of Destiny, please sign up.
Simon Innes
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Judy Brunton
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  51,792 ratings  ·  1,494 reviews

Petrik
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

A satisfying conclusion to the Liveship Traders trilogy and at the same time, it also made me super excited to start Tawny Man trilogy.

Ship of Destiny marks the conclusion to the Liveship Traders trilogy, the second out of five subseries in Hobb’s Realm of the Elderlings series, and this was overall a satisfying conclusion. I really have to give this praise to Robin Hobb. Having read six books and one novella so far, whether I love it or not (mostly love), I found all her stories to be unpredictable. T
Em Lost In Books
“Do you not see how strange and wonderful that is? That all history balances on an affair of the human heart?”

Well, this was a bittersweet story.

Hobb started this right from the end of Mad Ship and we saw all the story arcs going in farther away from each other instead of converging, at least initially. I was frustrated how all the story arcs were taking their on sweet time to reach the conclusion but once I finished reading this, I couldn't help but marvel on how beautifully she
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I loved the ending of this because everything was resolved perfectly, and at the same time the events have far, far, reaching consequences. These will no doubt affect the Six Duchies. This made the ending so strong for me because I couldn’t wait to read more. I couldn’t wait to see how far Amber has (and will) shape the world in accordance with her prophecies.

It’s all about the dragons!
'
description

The magic behind all this slowly began to reveal itself across the trilogy and, finally, in this book it w
Mili
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-the-book
Another stunning trilogy by Robin Hobb. How I loved the characters! They are so vivid and real. Althea and Brashen are to fall in love with. Im no big fan of pirate tales, but Robin Hobb just enthralls me. I just had the best start of the morning by finishing this book. Woke up before 8 am ( on a day off .....) Decided to read the last few pages ( fell asleep last night on the couch ) and there were cookies next to me....healthy start of the day!

Im still convinced everyone should jus
Emma
I don't know when I was last so gripped by a story. I absolutely loved it.
Hanne
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This one is going down as one of my favourite fantasy trilogies.
Without a doubt! (This review contains some spoilers of book 1 and 2)

Part of it is very typical Robin Hobb (after 6 books I’m allowed to say that right?) she makes characters so incredible real they become existing people. I’ve said it before, but it’s just really true: they become people for you to love or loathe. But it’s also remarkable how mean she is to them all: she sends them through hell, leaves them there without fo
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm just so grateful that this series exists. It is phenomenal. I enjoyed every hour of my life that I spent on these three books. That is all.
Helene Jeppesen
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did it! I finished it! My reading of these three 900-page-books has been quite a journey, but in the end I'm glad I stuck to the end and got a great reading experience out of it.
This is the last book in the trilogy, so obviously I can't tell you too much about the story. However, I can tell you that this last installment was quite breathtaking and intense. With this novel, I finally felt a deep connection to all of the characters, maybe because I've been following their journeys for so many p
Connor
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Of course. This book is amazing.
David Sven
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Robin Hobb delivers a highly satisfying finale to an enjoyable fantasy series. If you have read The Farseer Trilogy and are debating whether to read this trilogy next or skip ahead to the Tawny Man trilogy – I can’t recommend The Liveships Trilogy enough. I think there are little tidbits throughout to reward those who choose to continue in publication order.

One thing Hobb does well, is produce interesting, well thought out, multidimensional characters. Many of the characters who are
Scott  Hitchcock
All three books in the series 4.5*'s.

I'm still surprised how much I enjoyed this series after struggling with the Farseer Trilogy and the nightmare of a lead character that is Fitz. This series wasn't without it's flaws and I hated the way Althea's situation was dealt with. That said Hobb did a great job telling this tale and while there were no big surprises it was entertaining from start to finish.
Rob
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 5-stars
I give this book 5 pirates... 5 dragons... no, wait... 5 stars! One of the most emotionally charged fantasy books I have read coming from the master at making fantasy feel real, The Magician, Robin Hobb!

Ship of Destiny (2001) is the third book in the Liveship Traders series by Robin Hobb. An absolute amazing finale! This comes from someone who gave two stars for it's first book, Ship of Magic. This book/trilogy is perfect for anyone who likes the fantasy genre with less action, more deep emotions and peg-legged pirates, YARR! (and
Nikki
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons, fantasy
Choko
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
*** 4.25 for the whole trilogy ***

I love this author, I think she is brilliant and imaginative and can come up with one heck of a story. However, I was kind of frustrated with every character in the book at this point... I appreciate all the details and the debt of characters they create, but I really think that these books could have been a third as short as they are. I am a bit tired of knowing every emotion of every person in Bingtown or the Rein Wilds... For that matter, I don't need
Kaitlin
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
This whole series has been perfection. It's not often that after reading a 2* book by an author I will continue on with their work but with Hobb I am so thrilled that I did go on to the Liveship books after the Farseer ones because truly she's a miracle writer and her ability to craft convincing, beautiful and stunning characters, worlds and ideas is unparalleled.

This is book 3 in the Liveship books and so naturally I cannot give away the plot of the story but suffice to say we're once more fol
Olivia
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ship of Destiny is a great conclusion to a trilogy that brought me much joy. I loved watching the characters evolve. Mostly Malta, and yes, I did stop wanting to strangle her eventually and it was with great pleasure that I watched her evolve into one of my favourite characters in this book.

This trilogy has so many kick-ass women protagonists! I can't recommend it enough.

Now comes my big but...and it's more a general but and less about the Liveship Trilogy.

Aft
Kaora
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'll write a review when I'm not crying.
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Guys and Gals. I'm finally going to write a quick review. This fantasy trilogy is SO GOOD. A perfect blend of intricate world building, a rich plot, and most importantly fleshed out characters.

One of the things I love about fantasy is that it is able to take true to life problems and injustices and put a fresh face to them. It allows the reader to step into these injustices and look at them more baldly because they are happening outside of our own world. It makes me think hard about
Lema
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
My brain is too fried to think, and a picture is worth a thousand words so..

Let me open up by showing an accurate depiction of Robin Hobb and her characters..
description
Yep looks accurate enough to me.. and I thought she was mean to my babies in Farseer :') This series was borderline sadist towards those precious children.. Shall we continue?

When we finally learned the full extent of the flashbacks despite all the previous n
Ron
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Fantasy, Hobb
Reading Ship of Destiny fulfilled the majority of my expectations. Being the third and final book of the Liveship Traders trilogy, I was hoping it would do just that. Actually, Ship of Destiny exceeded some of my hopes with an open-ended finish. Matching the standards of the first two books can be no easy task for Robin Hobb, but it’s something I’ve learned not to fear. She always comes through. Somehow the tension provided in these three books only managed to increase as the story continued, wh ...more
❄️Nani❄️
4.75⭐

Damn near perfect.
Victoria Rose
I finished this on a short holiday with a good friend who I warned well in advance: "If I get a bit teary, I'm fine, it's just a really good book." He shook his head at me but accepted it, which was great because later when I got a bit teary he laughed it off as I crumpled in on myself.

Lord help me, Robin Hobb (as I think I've mentioned before) destroys me. In this final volume, all the individual storylines come together, situations come to wonderful, terrible climaxes, and readers everywhere
Dara
Signs of an excellent book: Keeps you up at night. Makes you forget your body's basic needs. Makes your vision blurry from reading it constantly. Relationships suffer because you ignore other people to read said book. All of this happened to me in the course of reading Ship of Destiny. I could not put this book down. For days, I was completely entranced by Robin Hobb's world. And I would not have it any other way.

Ms. Hobb played my emotions like a fiddle. I felt like a marionette and she was holdi
Heather Hopkins
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. I need to sit and dwell on the series then I will review. I'm actually a little sad, not because of how it ended, but because I was so engrossed in the story that I don't want to come back to reality. I want to stay aboard the ship.

***********************************************************
Updated Review - Review of all three books in the Robin Hobb The Liveship Traders Trilogy 3 Books Collection Set.

I've read the The Farseer Trilogy and throughout the years since I read
Anirudh
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Finally there is a Hobb book with a thoroughly satisfying end! Ship of Destiny, the final piece of a very complex puzzle which reveals so many secrets.

The story continues Althea's quest for her Liveship while the other story line follows the newly awoken dragon. While some parts of the story were predictable, there were so many well placed twists and revelations that leave you stunned and a few times even sickened.

The narration is excellent as always. However the length of the novel could have
Petra
A fine, although a bit rushed finish to a remarkable fantasy trilogy.

The character development is still strong. I was especially pleased to see well-written female protagonists of all ages. However, because their world is very patriarchal, women do not have it easy and this book in particular goes to some dark places.

It includes a brutal rape of my favourite character by another major character. What made it even more heartbreaking is that no one believed her. From that p
Julie (A Girl and a Book)
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 amazing stars. This has without a doubt become my favorite trilogy of all time. I loved everything about these books; the characters, the setting, the story. Robin Hobb is simply a master at what she does and I can't wait to continue on with the other trilogies set in this world.
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
A great conclusion to a wonderful trilogy.
I loved the development of the characters, especially that of Malta; I loved the liveships and the wonderful description of their journey towards self-discovery, especially that of Paragon. I loved the dragon and the rain wilders and I'm looking forward to more of their adventures.
I was greatly surprised to discover here another facet of the Fool. Or maybe this was his true image after all. Hobb's writing is so brilliant that I only managed t
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
Trigger warnings: Rape

Hobb is a genius, and I'm so going to miss these characters. Bingtown society was fascinating, and the exploration of tradition and human nature was phenomenal.
Emily
I loved how inventive this series was, but - blasphemously - I think it could have been at least 500 pages shorter. And while the climax doesn't disappoint, with every character converging in the same place in a satisfying way, I found Althea's arc to be so underwhelming and unnecessary that it took out some of the joy of the conclusion. Ultimately, I'd recommend these books to fantasy readers who aren't afraid of a 2500+ page commitment, but with some reservations that I didn't expect after fin ...more

• The Limbreth Gate (Windsingers, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
  • A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows, #2)
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
  • The Way Between the Worlds (The View from the Mirror, #4)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #3)
  • The Lions of Al-Rassan
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more

The Liveship Traders (3 books)
  • Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
“That is the challenge Companion. To take what has happened to you and learn from it. Nothing is quite so destructive as pity, especially self-pity. No event in life is so terrible that one cannot rise above it.
91 likes
“When you fear to fail, you fear something that has not happened yet. You predict your own failure, and by inaction, lock yourself into it.” 65 likes