Start by marking “The Prince of Nantucket” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Nantucket

The Prince of Nantucket

“I could never be a good father because I turned my back on being your son.” Perhaps Teddy Mathison is right when he makes this heart-wrenching confession to his dying mother, but is it really too late? The touching and surprising answer unfolds in this richly layered, tender story of a man who is primed to go far in life, but first must find his way home.

Teddy is a succes
Published April 24th 2007 by Shaye Areheart Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince of Nantucket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince of Nantucket

Start your review of The Prince of Nantucket
Kristen
Feb 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: listened-to
Was heading out on the road and grabbed this from the library shelf. Way too many "issues" being tackled in one book so that none were explored well and was so very predictable. ...more
Meredith
Apr 19, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was not literary genius. If you like books like the "Notebook" then you will like this one. It is about a man who finds himself on a life path that turned him into something far from his childhood dreams. He does lot of soul searching. I found it to be a good "beach novel".
Cathi
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new favorite author. Have enjoyed both his books, Prince of Nantucket and All That Matters, and both touched my heart and left me smiling. Believable characters and stories...and just like life there are some sad parts too, but love prevails.
Cindy
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun light summer read. This book read just like, and would make a great, Lifetime Original Movie. Good book to read on the beach.
Patty Wilson
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Listened to audiobook.
Andrea
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
The main character of this book is such a jerk he nearly ruins the book. Like all good characters he does redeem himself enough to make the story have a good ending.
Chelsea
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s alright as a good “beach read” but Teddy’s “why me?” attitude and playboy ways in the first half of the novel and his mouthy daughter were just a bit much for me.
Becky
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
"How did you deal with all of it?" he asked quietly. They both noticed the tenderness in his voice.
Liza glanced over at him with a strong, determined grin. "You cry a lot. There are unbearable pools of sadness. You get angry. You shut down. I didn't want anything to do with anyone. Practically starved myself for a while. Eventually, you find you don't much like yourself like that," she explained, taking a deep breath. "When you get there you have a choice." She paused. "Let it take you down, or
Pooch
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it
A pompous Senatorial candidate living in CA grudgingly travels to see his ailing Mother in Nantucket. A divorced ladies' man with a 13-yr-old daughter, Ted Mathieson is summoned by his older sister who has been caretaker of their mother for many years and needs to take a vacation.

Their mother is a great artist dubbed the "Queen of Nantucket" hence the book's title. Ted's hatred for his mother along with his misconceptions based on childhood impressions lead him along a tortuous path that carrie
Jean Perry
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Loved it! His writing is so beautiful, almost lyrical. . He speaks to real issues, a teen having real probs w/ not having much connection w/ a father who is divorced from hr mother. The protagonist is the father who is forced by his sister to reconnect w/ a mother who he hasn't had a relationship w/ for decades. The mother is a renown artist living on Nantucket who hs alzheimer's, but hs lucid moments. It's a real story of how we make choices in our lives and often have md the choice of ambition ...more
Lynn
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
Patrons kept telling me how great this book was and how I just had to read it. IMHO it was not a valuable use of my time. I didn't care for the author's style. His writing reminds me a little of Mary Higgins Clark or Robin Cook in that I am drawn in by the story they are going to tell but I just don't particularly care for the way they use language. The message was about as subtle as a gorilla on your lap. The themes interested me - teen-aged daughters, parents with Alzheimer's, redemption, seco ...more
Robin
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This was another quick-read. Teddy is divorced, estranged from his daughter and his mother. He is running for the U.S. Senate in California. However his mother is wasting away of Alzheimer's. She is a world-renownd artist that lives on Nantucket. They have been enstranged for many years. His campaign manager sees a photo opportunity, so Teddy goes to Nantucket to boost his ratings for "family values." At the same time his thirteen-year-old daughter is scheduled to visit for her annual two-weeks! ...more
Danielle
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: just-fun
Another book I grabbed at the library, based on the description: a man reluctantly returns to his childhood home to face his dying mother, with his estranged teenage daughter in tow. Great potential! It's not a bad book, and it's a quick read, but without the emotional heft of Drowning Ruth or Crow Lake or Patron Saint of Liars - all books that I loved reading. And all from the same genre - my fav - books about dysfunctional families. And of course you want everything to work out, but this was s ...more
Pearl
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
No, Jan Goldstein, you had me in "The Bride Will Keep Her Name," but why was "The Prince of Nantucket" such a drag? The same accessible writing style is still here, but the plot of "Prince" was really nothing to write home about. A callous politician goes back to his home in Nantucket, discovers a family secret, and suddenly goes from hating his Alzheimer-inflicted mother to loving and reconciling with her. Soooo realistic. Very inconsistent and not fully fleshed-out characters, though the endin ...more
Jenn
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
There was so much emotion within this story. Even though at some points the writing seemed trivial I learned to read it with an open mind. Sometimes I think I judge books to harshly by how they were written when what really matters is the story itself that the author wants to share.

I think Jan Goldstein did a wonderful job at reaching out to his audience, letting them know that they aren't the only people who are dealing with heaviness in their lives. I look forward to reading other books writte
Jeannie
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a very quick read. I liked the Nantucket setting (live in MA)...Yes, it touched upon many, many issues (illness, miscommunication, betrayal, immaturity and loss of love) all at the same time, and for some readers it bogged down the story, but most families rarely deal with just one issue at the same time, so I did not find this distracting.

Agree that Goldstein's style of writing is similar to Nicholas Sparks's...many would consider that a compliment to be in such successful company.
Katy
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A senatorial candidate from CA is summoned home to spend time with his mother who is suffering from Alzheimers. He and his belligerent teenaged daughter go to Nantucket to find his mother, an acclaimed artist, is much worse than he realized. While spending the time with her, which is difficult because they've been estranged for more than 20 years, he realized how much he didn't know, how she protected him even as an adult, and how desperately his own daughter is hurting and suffering. His mother ...more
JoAnn
Jul 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Very good book. A bit different from my normal family dramas. This one centers around a son who turned his back on his mother only to return as she approaches the last days of her life. He realizes all his ideas about his mother were incorrect and he learns that he is not ready to let her go. Also, there is the side story of the main characters trouble relationship with his own daughter. Nice story.
Margery
Aug 14, 2007 rated it liked it
Three stars - this was a "beach Book" (read it in an afternoon and consider it a love story.) Teddy, an L.A. lawyer has to learn to re-love his estranged 13 year old daughter and his estranged mother who is fading away with Alzheimer's. I enjoyed a fast read after plowing through Susan Vreeland's Luncheon of the Boating Party.
Lori Flint
Jan 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: absolutecrap
I only read the whole thing because the story itself had potential and the book wasn't completely unreadable. However, the characters were cookie-cutter, the dialogue was clunky and totally unrealistic and it read like a college sophomore living out on paper his fantasies of what he wanted his life to be like when he reached his 40s. The whole thing was about a subtle as an anvil.
Andrea
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
This was the story about a man (Ted) in a calif. politial race, that comes to visit his ailing mother on Nantucket. His sister is the primary caretaker, and she guilts Ted into helping while she goes on vacation. Ted brings his estranged teenage daughter along - a publicist thinks it will be a great story.
Niloofar
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Very fast, easy read. The story was just ok (family problems.........mother/son, father/daughter, ex-husband,ex-wife) really nothing unique. He is a politician who finally puts his family first, um ok?? I liked the writing style and enjoyed it because after my last painful, horrible book I needed a easy read.
Egm
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The writing in this book is not great - it lacks the colorful phrases and descriptors of some of the other books I've read recently and the dialogue is flat, but the story is compelling nonetheless. I cared about the characters and found the relationships and issues poignant, even if at points I wondered about the realism. Overall, enjoyed this book a lot.
Powder River Rose
I had no idea this story would affect me so profoundly; I too am going through a similar scenario with my own mother although we have always been close. This is a deeply moving, passionate story of courage in the midst of struggle, of finding one's way back and of undying love. I highly recommend this book.
Lacie
Aug 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Somewhat predictable. But a beautiful, tear-jerker in the line of "The Notebook".

California Senate-hopeful reluctantly spends a week in Nantucket with his mother, a brilliant artist disappearing into the haze of Alzheimer's, and his troubled teenage daughter.
Lee Millns
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
A good quick read that has the main character, Teddy Mathison, regaining his focus on family over the climb up the social and political ladder. The character development is simple, the storyline easy to follow, making for a good read at the beach or travels to spring break.
Nikki
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I can't tell you how close I came to not continuing with the book. In the end, I'm glad I didn't as it made for a touching story. During the first third of the book, the protagonist's attitude and that of his daughter's, made me just plain angry.
Brenda
I read this book so I could discuss it with my Book Club. This book had more emotions in it then I expected. The characters were believable. I enjoyed the ending because it fit with the story. I enjoyed this quote from the book, "Never give up on who or what you love."
Jill
Apr 03, 2008 rated it liked it
A very easy summer read.
Tina Carstens
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tina Carstens by: Me
Shelves: tina, book-club
It was an easy and quick "beach read". I enjoyed reading it but it wasn't a book with much depth or suspence. Pretty predictable. But overall worth the read.

• The Stationery Shop
  • My Way to You (Creek Canyon, #1)
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • The Rock, the Road, and the Rabbi: My Journey into the Heart of Scriptural Faith and the Land Where It All Began
  • Good Morning, Midnight
  • The Art of Doing: How Superachievers Do What They Do and How They Do It So Well
  • Iris Apfel: Accidental Icon
  • American Jennie: The Remarkable Life of Lady Randolph Churchill
  • Grace, Not Perfection: Embracing Simplicity, Celebrating Joy
  • West End Girls: The Real Lives, Loves and Friendships of 1940s Soho and its Working Girls
  • Journey into Mindfulness: Gentle Ways to Let Go of Stress and Live in the Moment
  • Somewhere Towards the End
  • The End of Normal
  • This Is the Day: Reclaim Your Dream. Ignite Your Passion. Live Your Purpose.
  • Losing My Voice to Find It: How a Rockstar Discovered His Greatest Purpose
  • The Music Room
  • The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box, #1)
  • Sadie-In-Waiting
There is more than one author with this name in the database.

Jan Goldstein is the author of two national fiction bestsellers, All That Matters and The Prince of Nantucket, recently optioned for film. His work has been translated into more than a dozen foreign languages and has been selected for the New York Times Hot List as well as by the Book of the Month Club, the Doubleday Book Club, and the Q