Start by marking “Quietly in Their Sleep (Commissario Brunetti, #6)” as Want to Read:
Quietly in Their Sleep (Commissario Brunetti, #6)

Quietly in Their Sleep

(Commissario Brunetti #6)

In Quietly In Their Sleep, a nun, Suorimmacolata, leaves her order and the nursing home it runs when she begins to suspect that some of the patients, those who have left their money to the home, are discreetly being murdered. Turning for help to Guido Brunetti, the suave, subtle and worldly-wise comissario of police, she unwittingly leads him into an investigation of both ...more
Published May 29th 2007 by Penguin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Quietly in Their Sleep, please sign up.
Connie There are definitely loose threads left in the ending of Quietly in Their Sleep. That may not be a bad thing; Donna Leon can carry it off. Signorina L…moreThere are definitely loose threads left in the ending of Quietly in Their Sleep. That may not be a bad thing; Donna Leon can carry it off. Signorina Lerini killed her father and the da Pre heir of the snuff boxes. She was under the influence, the story says, of malign and powerful forces in the church. Whether readers can put up with the silence about the other deaths in the nursing home is up to each of us. Often I would be irritated by the unanswered questions. I guess the exquisite drama of Signorina Lerini’s attack of Brunetti balanced out the narrative for me. The BIG questions left are one helluva nerve by Leon, and I thank her for it. I’m reading these books in order. This was #6. I don’t know if she picks up the theme of religious corruption again. She’s free to, with this plot. The big questions remain. Will corrupt religious institutions overpower the good and compassionate people in the long run? 2nd, will courageous individuals such as Maria Testa be defeated in the end? She’s disappeared so thoroughly that Brunetti doesn’t think he or anyone else will ever know what’s become of her. The way this book ends gives me confidence and renews my hope that evil will not win out but that our better humanity will take the field.(less)
Joe Moss I have seen a copy offered online for nearly $1,000.00. It might be that the publisher saw no point in reissuing a hardback version under the second n…moreI have seen a copy offered online for nearly $1,000.00. It might be that the publisher saw no point in reissuing a hardback version under the second name since the most avid readers would have purchased the original or, by then, one of the paperback versions?(less)

Start your review of Quietly in Their Sleep (Commissario Brunetti, #6)
Alex is The Romance Fox
3,5 stars

Commissario Guido Brunetti’s latest “case” in the 6th book in Commissario Brunetti Series by Donna Leon, starts off with a visit to his office by a young woman, who he doesn’t recognize but seems familiar to him, claiming that she suspects that several patients who had died unexpectedly and odd circumstances in the nursing home she had previously worked at. She thinks that their deaths may be related to their fortunes being left to the home and the church and not their heirs.

Without any
Emily
I'm rounding up because this one made me laugh so much. In past Brunetti books, Donna Leon has taken on the American presence in Italy, sex trafficking, political corruption, Italian tax laws, and basically everything else she disagrees with. In this book, she takes on the Catholic Church and its institutional protection of priests, no matter their crimes.

It turns out Paola is a virulent atheist, which results in some pretty funny conversations between Paola and Brunetti, and the way that Donna
Brent Soderstrum
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed in book #6 from the Guido Brunetti series by Donna Leon. This appears to be Ms. Leon's two headed attack on religion. I am not Catholic. The focus appears to be on the Catholic Church but I think it goes much deeper then that. All the characters in the book who are likeable: Guido, his wife and kids, his sargeant and his boss' assistant all voice their negative views about religion. There is no balance as there would be in the real world.

A nun tells Commissiaro Brunetti
Dorothy
Commissario Guido Brunetti of the Venetian police is approached by a young woman who looks familiar but whom he can't quite place and who wants to tell him about what she fears has been happening at a nursing home where she recently worked. Only after she identifies herself does he realize that she was a nun who once cared for his mother at the nursing home where she is a patient. She had subsequently left that nursing home and worked at another, the one about which she is reporting to him. But ...more
Clara
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read it in two days, and now that it's over, I wish it were still Venice in the springtime, and I were still with Brunetti, taking water taxis to the Lido over feathery, pearlescent waves; eating freshly made tagliatelle with peppers, tomatoes, and sausage at home in the middle of a work day; walking soggy, glistening "narrow calles" alone in the middle of the night; mourning over razored out pages in bound journals in a magnificent, touristless library across the street from the Piazza San Ma ...more
Maggie
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Brunetti book 6 focuses on care homes administered by Catholic nuns and priests. An interesting read not as detailed as other books in series. Recommended to read as part of series.
LJ
First Sentence: Brunetti sat at his desk and stared at his feet.

Commissario Guido Brunetti has a young woman come to his office. She seems familiar, but he doesn’t recognize her until she clarifies that the last time he saw her, she was a nun and a nursing sister. She has left the convent suspecting that several of her patients died unexpectedly and, perhaps, not of natural causes.

After being hit by a car and left in a coma, Brunetti decides to investigate even though he can find no clear crime
Deborah Moulton
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
An odd mystery, this crime is not resolved. It's too dangerous to go on when Opus Dei makes its influence known and the star witness and crime victim simply disappears, opting for survival over justice.

In the course of the investigation, Brunetti is injured and endures a severe infection of his wound which puts him the hospital for a time.

There is a small justice at the end when Commisario Brunetti's powerful father-in-law, Count Orazio, manages to get a pedophile priest "re-assigned" to an Ita
Sharyn
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so enjoying these books. The glimpse of life in Venice is so fascinating. This may sound silly, but I am amazed that everyone goes home for lunch and the wives cook these fabulous meals, and people drink wine with lunch. For me this is almost a fantasy life. And then they shop and cook dinner!! One of my favorite scenes is Brunetti and Vianello having to eat sandwiches for lunch and Vianello lamenting he is missing his wife's fresh made pasta.
This book has really interesting discussions of
May
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this novel. However, I wasn’t clear on how the many different threads were resolved. This leaves me feeling like I need to reread the last several chapters! Thus, 3.5⭐️ is rounded up to 4 ⭐️

I am already looking forward to my next Donna Leon read!!
Ms.pegasus
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Donna Leon
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Has a crime even been committed? This is the question Inspector Brunetti must investigate after hearing the story of Suor 'Immacolata. On the one hand he is inclined to give credence to her fears. He knows this woman as a compassionate and caring nun in the nursing home where his mother resides. She helps lessen the guilt he feels for his own impotence dealing with his mother's dementia. On the other hand, there is no real evidence, only the coincidence of 5 elderly patients having died within a ...more
Mary Ellen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
This is the first of the 5 Commissario Brunetti series I haven't loved. A big part of that was the utterly negative portrayal of the Church. I got sick of the pot shots; every nice character hates the Church; every religious character is nasty. And when she brought in Opus Dei, I thought maybe I'd picked up a Dan Brown by mistake. I am a devout Catholic and was really offended by this.

But the other problem with this book was the really bad solution to the mystery. Tons of red herrings and then
Nancy
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, like the other Commissario Brunetti books I recently read, used a very topical issue as the centerpoint of the story. I found that my pleasure in the reading was definitely enhanced by my interest in the issue (just as it was diminished by my discomfort with the issue in the last Leon book that I read).

As with any series, part of the reader's pleasure has to come from familiarity with the principal character, his friends and routines. I particularly enjoyed that aspect of this book. C
Christina  Costain
Dec 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've been steadily reading through Ms. Leon's Commissario Brunetti books for a year now and was so greatly disappointed in this one. As a Catholic who has been very blessed by the formation through Opus Dei, I found her "research" to be heavily in favor of all things negative in the Church. What, not even one good priest or nun? This book was in poor taste and filled with what is obviously, Ms Leon's bad experiences with the church. I'll keep her in my prayers but honestly say, not all priests a ...more
Sharon
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very good mystery but what I liked the most about it is the depiction of Commissario Brunetti's family. Their affection for each other is apparent and Brunnetti and his wife have a great relationship. The descriptions of meals prepared and eaten made me hungry! I also appreciated the esprit de corps among some of the men at his police station. So a good mystery and a heart warming look at family life and friends - thats a winner in my book!
Sandra
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as mysteries go, I found The Death of Faith to be one of the more complex books in the series by author Donna Leon. The story leads the reader through a winding road of victims, suspects and motives, and comes to the usual surprising ending. Not all questions are answered, which makes the story even more mysterious.
Christopher Jones
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Hmm, I have epic love for Donna Leon’s books but this one didn’t quite do it for me. Perhaps there weren’t enough descriptions of the food Paola was cooking?
annapi
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Brunetti's superior Patta is on vacation and has left him in charge. But there has been a lull in crime, so Brunetti has been bored for several days when a young woman comes to the police station asking to see him. She is the nun who had been caring for Brunetti's dementia-suffering mother at a nursing home, and who had been transferred to another facility the year before. Now, having left the convent, she comes to Brunetti for help regarding five deaths at the last nursing home, that she fears ...more
Pamela
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-italian
Commissario Brunetti receives a surprise visit from a young woman - he knew her previously as Suor'Immaculata, the nun who cared for his mother in her care home, but she has now left the Order and reverted to her birth name of Maria Testa. Although she is quite reticent about her exact fears, Brunetti ascertains that she left the home after the unexpected deaths of five patients, and he cautiously begins to investigate the situation.

This is not the strongest plot and there are a few holes that d
Jodi
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2018-read
This was my first Leon book but it is the 6th in the series so I know that I didn't pick up on most of the nuances that come with character building. This series is set in Venice and you don't have to have been there to get a great sense of place even though Leon is spare with description. The Chief of Police is approached by the former nun who used to care for his mother in the nursing home. She is convinced that someone is killing the elderly. She has no proof, it's just a feeling but when she ...more
Karen Rettig
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I normally like Donna Leon. I’ve read several of her books, but this one bothered me. Her plot was well-developed and her depiction of modern Venice was as fascinating as always. However, her rants against the Catholic Church became tiresome.
Leon has never made any secret about the fact that she is an atheist; her eminently reasonable main character is atheist, and his intellectual wife is virulently anti-religion. The plot centers around a pedophile priest, another priest who commits murder, an
Sara
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hum hum, I wrote a whole essay after the previous reading.
This time, I still found the beginning rather meandering but enjoyed the villainous religious types quite a bit more. And with recent developments in the States, I am fairly convinced that Opus Dei is working toward violating the principle of separation of church and state. Never mind that Popes have repented and regretted the period of history in which the two were disastrously involved. These folks are more Catholic than the Pope...
On t
Mary
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Religion, just like many other things can be used in a malignant way to justify
Personal needs. Old people dying in nursing homes staffed by sisters and girl children taught by corrupt priests occasion the efforts of the commissario.
Carolyn
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark and fascinating. Maybe if you’re a sensitive devout Catholic you should take a pass on this one.
John McDonald
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Each of Donna Leon's books, it seems, has a central theme that also is an area of personal concern harbored by the author. In this book, the concern--the problem--is Opus Dei and the secretive organization's corruption of the Vatican and of the Italian government. The mystery includes a reasonably fair description of Opus Dei and a mildly complex mystery that at times veer off just enough to keep the reader guessing. It was a very good reading experience.

I would suggest to anyone setting off to
Camilla Tilly
This is the 6th book in the series and I have come to realize that Donna Leon's authorship is very uneven. The previous book, Aqua Alta, is by far the best of the 6 that I have read so it was somewhat of a disappointment to pick up this book and think that it would be of the same quality and it not measuring up at all.
The book starts out with a nun coming in to Brunetti's office basically telling him nothing more than that she has left her order because they do not join her in her belief that fi
Susan
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Like Donna Leon's many other mysteries involving police Commissario Guido Brunetti, Quietly in Their Sleep has both a specific crime and a larger problem in society.

A young woman who has left her religious order after 12 years as a nun comes to Brunetti with her suspicions that wealthy, elderly patients in the nursing home where she worked were coerced to leave money to the home, to the order, or to the Catholic church. As Brunetti investigates, he learns about various forms of corruption withi
Bill
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed every one of Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti mysteries. Quietly in Their Sleep is the 5th book in the series and was as entertaining as all of the others. A nun, who looked after Brunetti's mother in a home, comes to see Brunetti. She has left her Order and tells Brunetti that she suspects that people in an old age home are being killed for their inheritance. She has little evidence but Brunetti starts to investigate.
The ex-nun is hit by a car and remains in a coma at a local hos
Jeanette
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
What a beginning! Observing his own feet for some time set upon a bottom drawer. It seems like half the world has jobs that do next to nothing for quotients of the day- I know mine sure did.

Ok and some delightful dialogue. Inheritance features large. It's springtime. And everyone is giving nice-nice to the clergy face front, and disdaining and snarking them in more jovial company.

It's extremely Italian. And all the laughter stops at the Consecration.

Seriously, most reviewers think this is Leon's
Paulette
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Leon's best. This novel takes on religion, specifically the Catholic Church, when a former nun mysteriously reports to Commissario Brunetti that she suspects several deaths at the nursing home she worked at are suspicious. At first Brunetti finds nothing to her claims; then when someone attempts to kill the ex-nun, he finds himself involved in a case that involves Opus Dei and some very corrupt priests. As a subplot, he and his wife Paola must confront their daughter, who is not doing wel ...more
Play Book Tag: Quietly in Their Sleep by Donna Leon - 4 stars 1 9 Oct 30, 2017 10:08PM

• A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • Rough Time in Nuala (The Inspector de Silva Mysteries #7)
  • Deadly Communion (Liebermann Papers, #5)
  • An Unkindness of Ravens (Inspector Wexford, #13)
  • The Body in the Castle Well (Bruno, Chief of Police #12)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
  • Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • List Series: Donna Leon: Series Reading Order: The Waters of Eternal Youth, Guido Brunetti Books, Guido Brunetti Non-fiction Books, Standalone Novels, Non-fiction Books by Donna Leon
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • The Terra-Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano, #2)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Black Diamond (Bruno, Chief of Police, #3)
  • THE UMBRELLA MURDERS an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 7)
  • The Talented Mr. Varg (Detective Varg, #2)
  • Constable on the Hill (Constable Nick Mystery #1)
  • Blue Christmas (Lord & Lady Hetheridge, #6)
  • A Taste for Vengeance (Bruno, Chief of Police, #11)
Donna Leon (born September 29, 1942, in Montclair, New Jersey) is an American author of a series of crime novels set in Venice and featuring the fictional hero Commissario Guido Brunetti.

Donna Leon has lived in Venice for over twenty-five years. She has worked as a lecturer in English Literature for the University of Maryland University College - Europe (UMUC-Europe) in Italy, then as a Professor

Commissario Brunetti (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1)
  • Death in a Strange Country (Commissario Brunetti, #2)
  • Dressed for Death (Commissario Brunetti, #3)
  • Death and Judgment (Commissario Brunetti, #4)
  • Acqua Alta (Commissario Brunetti, #5)
  • A Noble Radiance (Commissario Brunetti, #7)
  • Fatal Remedies (Commissario Brunetti, #8)
  • Friends in High Places (Commissario Brunetti, #9)
  • A Sea of Troubles (Commissario Brunetti, #10)
  • Wilful Behaviour (Commissario Brunetti, #11)