Start by marking “Monica's Story” as Want to Read:
Monica's Story

Monica's Story

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  605 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Behind the headlines, there was one fascinating woman. This is her story.

Monica Lewinsky. You know her name, you know her face, and you think you know her story: the pretty young intern who began an illicit affair with the President of the United States-- a liaison that ignited an unprecedented political scandal and found Bill Clinton as the second U.S. president to ever b
Published August 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Monica's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monica's Story

Teena
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Back in 1999 (or was it 1998?) when this scandal first broke, I was only mildly interested in the Monica Lewinsky/Bill Clinton affair. The fact that Monica was sexually interested in a man of 50 while she was merely a couple of years younger than myself, put me off. I just couldn't wrap my brain around WHY she'd be interested in him. I held them both accountable, but in the back of my mind, I always felt there was no "real" sex and from my perspective, that made it a non-issue.

Fast forward to 20
Janet Santos
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another example of abuse power with our government. No excuses for the affair that she allowed, but what they did to her was like a kitten being thrown into a lions cage! She has my sympathy.....whether she want it or not! She showed great humbleness and bravery. Bless her and her family!
Silvia Abreu
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A view you never considered. Good read...makes her vulnerably human.
Patti
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book made me realize how judgmental people can be...(Me being one of them). I had a certain opinion of Ms. Lewinsky which was quite uncharitable. After reading Mr. Morton's version of the events, I realized the public was once again duped by the political machine. Granted, she made a mistake (haven't we all?); she was young, impressionable and understandably flattered with the attention of Clinton. I think what Linda Tripp did was more disgusting and reprehensible. She cold-heartedly violat ...more
Joy H.
Added 11/24/11.

November 2011: I listened to the audio version of this book, _Monica's Story_ by Andrew Morton, published in 1999 after the affair between Monica Lewinsky and President Clinton, an affair which was in the news in the latter part of the 1990s. The book presents a sympathetic picture of the traumatic experience Monica went through during that time. Although over ten years have passed, the story is still a gripping one, especially interesting because time has given it a different per
Rebecca
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
I didn't know much about Monica but this book confirmed that she is insane. She is one of those people who is very smart intellectually but doesn't have a clue about anything else. She chased after the President, she seduced him and was in love with him the whole time. She seriously thought they could keep up that kind of relationship. And it ruined her entire family emotionally and financially.
Kimmy
Dec 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: amyk
This was actually a really good book. You won't be so judgemental about her after reading it. You will feel empathetic. I picked it up at the dollar store when I had nothing to read, and I couldn't put it down!
Kathleen Meacham
Jan 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Boring
Hava
Jun 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one!
Monica’s Story by Andrew Morton was an absolute mess of a book. I started reading the book with the following in mind:

1) I liked President Clinton for his economic policies (I’m going to review Alan Greenspan’s book, Age of Turbulence in a little while and I’ll make sure to tell you then what Alan said about Clinton’s track record on economics, but suffice it to say that he did a good job in that respect.) I didn’t like the fact that he seemed to chase after every woman in a skirt.

2) I didn’t li
Olivia
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An addictive read. I had no idea a book like this came out in '99, or that their relationship was at all intimate/emotional or went beyond a few instances of (oral) sex. Was very glad to read Monica's side and heartbroken to see what it's like when someone is caught between the strongest powers in the country (the president and those who hate him). I hope she's found some peace in her activism.
Heather
Sep 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Biographer Andrew Morton set out to prove to people with a preconceived image of Monica Lewinsky as spoiled, pushy and slutty that she is actually a deep and complex person led astray by her heart and victimized by a treacherous friend, corrupt legal system and merciless media machine. My experience was the opposite: I began the book knowing few details about Monica and predisposed to give her the benefit of the doubt, yet found as I read that it was very difficult to like the shallow, whiny, se ...more
Darth
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I know this is titled MONICA'S STORY, but this went beyond and more, to the point of being puffery.
The meter was along the lines of, "Monica was great, if a little naive and was horribly misused by BLANK" In which, BLANK is old boyfriends, the president, Linda Tripp, OIC, FBI, etc...
I wouldnt expect Andrew Morton to pull a surprise hatchet job on her, but I guess I thought it might be a LITTLE more balanced.

I have to say it was well edited, and at least there were not tonnes of spelling / gramma
Smschade
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read this book with the hope of improving my opinion of ML. That didn't happen though. A True Hollywood Story could have revealed the juicy details in less time than it took to read the book. She made some bad choices and seemed to blame them all on weight issues and insecurities with men. I kept waiting for the chapter when she would start yelling "I won't be ignored, DAN!" This book brought history and Fatal Attraction together. I am not a Clinton fan, not a Monica fan and not a big fan of t ...more
J30000110
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book helps us to see the scandal by Lewinsky's point of view (although I want to know Hillary Clinton's point of view more). Reading this book,we know that while public saw their relationship as a scandal, Lewinsky saw it as a Cinderella story(extended by phone sex, oral sex in president room, and the married 'prince'). The story got more dramatic by the existence of Lewinsky's friend (or foe?) who cheated her by record all her bestfriend-to-bestfriend story telling and gave it to the press ...more
Tami
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't set out to like this book. I was curious, and I didn't buy it myself (thanks Deanna!) so I gave it a chance. I'm not sure what to believe, or what the truth is in the whole affair, but Monica was very clearly in love with Bill, and it was a very sad story. Although at times she seems very mature, and handles the situation as best as possible, I wonder if she looks back and can't believe what she's done. It also makes me feel bad that she was humiliated in front of millions.... Did she d ...more
Carol
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at a library book sale. One day I started reading it, and could not believe how interesting it was. Andrew Morton is a very good writer who specializes in celebrity bios. To me it seems that Monica's problems went back to a bad relationship with her father, a busy surgeon, and a childhood problem with her weight. I am not excusing her bad behavior but I was impressed with the depth that the author went into.
I will probably read more of his books.
Cammie
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, I can't lie. This was when I was in my "I Love Bill Clinton" phase. This scandal was so amusing to me that when this book was released I picked it up the day it came out and read it in maybe two weeks. Reading this made me realize that her story is pretty much every woman's story who's ever been in love with a married man. It was a train wreck I couldn't turn away from. Excellent fluffy read.
Jill
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: at-library
I can't exactly complain about this book being onesided since it is, after all, called Monica's Story. However, I can complain that everyone connected to the whole affair acted like they were in high school. I do wish she would have waited to collaborate on this book to gain more prospective, but I imagine her lawyers were interested in being paid. This book also made me very grateful that my love life from my early twenties has never been dissected on CNN, SNL and FOX.
Elmo
Nov 12, 2008 is currently reading it
Ga sengaja waktu jalan-jalan diJACC trus nemu kios-kios buku yg ternyata pindahan dari kwitang,and tadaaaa..nemu buku ini dengan harga yg amat sangat murah cuma 10.000 ribu perak sajah, lumayan harga segitu sudah dapat buku hardcover :)

belum sempet dibaca hanya sekilas melihat foto-foto yg sengaja oleh penulis di sisipkan dibelakang halaman buku.pingim cepet-cepet bisa membacanya,apa isi didalam sebagus covernya kah???

well,,someday i will finised this.. :)
Hayden
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, politics
This biography, among other objectives, illuminates the severe emotional purgatory undergone by Ms Lewinsky, a flawed woman with an adventurous spirit, whose dalliance with the president led to repercussions for herself, family and friends. These are here depicted as unwarranted and truly iniquitous; untold denigration attended the ultimately feeble bid of Clinton and his fellow incriminated officials, to elude their self-inflicted comeuppance.
Miss Meghan
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book. I really empathize with Monica. Everyone thinks Bill Clinton is Mister Wonderful, meanwhile Monica is treated like a pariah and this scandal still affects her. I enjoyed reading her side of the story. She was a young, she made a mistake, and learned from it. She didn't deserve the crap she got.
Kellie Elmore
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Whether you like her or not, you will catch yourself completely consumed in her story. From her secret messages from Bill based on his tie selection during a speech, to the well known cigar story. You will find yourself anxiously awaiting the next page. True or fabricated, it's an interesting (juicy) read.
Aletha
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite good. My mother has a habit of purchasing books and not reading them. Seriously, the woman does not read.

So I took it one day and read it. I love that this is her side of the penis sucking story. She is beautiful, at least in the book - not so sure about now, and I love to hear her talk of being holed up in the hotel room, feverishly knitting and sewing the time away.
David
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was fascinating, enthralling and moving. Everyone should read the chapter about what happened in room 1012 just so one can know how far our government could go to strong-arm someone. I used to be made fun of for defending her, and Pres. Clinton in the 90's. I am going to make my friends read this to see if I was so awful for defending her.
Tracy  Burd
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good Book. Since I work for the Government, close to DC, I enjoyed the familiarity of this book. Of course, I have always heard the stories (and jokes) about Monica. After reading this book, I have a new repsect for the story. Def enjoyed it, but I don't particularly like the author. The book was tilted towards Monica.
Ryan
Jun 04, 2008 marked it as to-read
I haven't learned anything from this book, but that's only because I haven't read it yet. I imagine that once I read it I'll learn a lot - notably, about Monica Lewinsky, and what she went through. She lives in Portland, and so I imagine I'll run in to her one of these days. And when I do, we'll have all kinds of stuff to talk about.
Joni
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
To be quite honest - I couldn't finish this book. It was not captivating enough to hold my interest. I do understand it was "Monica's Story" but she really needed to get her head out of the clouds and into reality. She has little if any self-esteem which makes it all the more pitiful. I'll put it on the shelve and may come back to it later but I'm not sure yet.
Sara
Jul 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Just couldn't finish this book. I wanted to feel sorry for Miss Lewinsky. I wanted to understand. Reading what I did, it's pretty clear that her maturity was seriously stunted.

Also,, her other affair was also with a married man & she became the wife's friend. I just can't grasp the lack of respect there.

Ultimately, this book shall not get any more of my attention.
Thandeka
This book actually takes you on a journey through the mind of Monica...how she was raised up to go after wealthy men and how she won over Bill Clinton-I couldn't put it down problem is it was someone else's book and i didnt finish reading it so if you got a copy please feel free to lend it to me
Michelle
Jan 24, 2009 rated it liked it
I've always been fascinated by the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinky scandal. This book is from her perspective, how a young needy girl got swept away by the most powerful man in the world, and how she was betrayed by someone she thought was a confidant. Very interesting.
  • Mayflower Madam: The Secret Life of Sydney Biddle Barrows
  • All I Did Was Ask: Conversations with Writers, Actors, Musicians, and Artists
  • Violette Nozière: A Story of Murder in 1930s Paris
  • Legend: The Life and Death of Marilyn Monroe
  • The Life and Death of Yukio Mishima
  • The First Detective: The Life and Revolutionary Times of Eugene Vidocq, Criminal, Spy and Private Eye
  • The Landmark History of the American People, 2 Volumes
  • Hugo!: The Hugo Chavez Story from Mud Hut to Perpetual Revolution
  • With Malice Toward One
  • The Lost Son: A Life in Pursuit of Justice
  • A Long Way from Home
  • Albert Camus: A Biography
  • Joan Crawford
Andrew David Morton (born 1953) is one of the world's best-known biographers and a leading authority on modern celebrity. His groundbreaking biography Diana: Her True Story was a #1 New York Times bestseller, as was Monica's Story, an authorized biography of Monica Lewinsky, and Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography. The winner of numerous awards, including Author of the Year, his other New York T ...more
More about Andrew Morton

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
“lawyers’ offices to sign the immunity agreement, her grandmother, Bernice, had said, “At last I can sleep at night.” A few” 0 likes