Start by marking “Your Heart Is The Sea” as Want to Read:
Your Heart Is The Sea

Your Heart Is The Sea

Let poetry help you examine the depths of your wounds. Let it remind you that no matter how deep it goes, you will be able to heal it because you have been able to heal every single wound inflicted on your heart and soul before. Let these words show you that you will be able to find the light at the end of the wound because you have always found your way before.
Published January 22nd 2019 by Thought Catalog Books (first published November 22nd 2018)

Start your review of Your Heart Is The Sea
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
People aren't born sad.
We make them that way.

This poetry collection was stunning. This is easily one of my favorite books of poetry I've read this year, or in many years, and it's made me so eager to read more of Nikita Gill's works. The cadence is stunning; in a world of contemporary poets who create their own formats (which there's nothing wrong with, don't get me wrong), Nikita manages to stick to something a little more familiar and classic while still offering her own spin. It's execute
The Nerd Daily
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Briah Krueger

There are still roses that will bloom in your lungs if you can learn to breathe through the thorns. – “All of Life is a Garden” by Nikita Gill

This is just one incredibly heart striking poem from Nikita Gill’s collection of poetry Your Heart is the Sea. This book will take you to the deepest spot in your soul and mind, and though you may see darkness, these poems will embrace you with safety and understanding. This book of poetry is
Tova
Wow. Full review here!

Thank you to Thought Catalogue Books for the free copy in exchange for an honest review. Regardless, of it being sent to me all opinions are my own.
stefiereads
Her first book “Your Soul is A River” was one of my fav poetry book. However this one, I have to say that while I enjoy and feel connected to a lot of the poems, the rest was feel a bit more repetitive and not really connected with me.

But, I have to say that this collection is wild, loud and empowering. It talks very openly about abused and mental illness. All respect and I admire her bravery. I know and I am sure that a lot of people will feel empowered by reading this :)

Will continue to read N
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
While I don't read a lot of poetry, I do find that I like a lot of the more modern poetry books.  This is the first one I've read by Nikita Gill and would definitely pick up another one.

It's always hard to review poetry.  Readers will interpret things differently.  Some readers will be moved by a poem that another person hated.  Some readers will relate to the poetry and others just won't get it.

What I found while reading this was a woman who was hurt.  A woman who struggled after that with re
Bex
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, poetry
I write lengthy reviews; this poetry collection doesn't need one. I expected it to be too deliberate, intended to target specific and painful memories that readers are searching for some small relief from and force upon them a strong message about moving forward and finding inner strength to keep going. It certainly provided the relief but it wasn't deliberate, it was honest, open to interpretation and perfectly on point.

I couldn't write a decent review, a poignant sentence or an eye-catching o
meghann
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can't go wrong with Nikita Gill. Her poetry will break you down and build you back up. I really loved how this one was set up and moved through the healing process (anguish, acceptance, survival, etc.). I was unable to find this book in stores, but it was definitely worth it to purchase it online and have it shipped. Can't wait for her next book. <3 ...more
tay geller
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a replica of my life in a form of articulate poems. i was overwhelmed by so many emotions while analyzing each word precisely. she bravely spoke about depression and anxiety, which are the two things i personally suffer from. however, that wasn’t all the book was about. she uplifted us with promising poems about self-love, self-care, and the most important keys of survival; patience and hope. not forgetting, female empowerment and her excellent creativity in writing poems about ancient g ...more
allieereads
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a mess. Tears on my face. Eyes red and pulsating. Nikita Gill did it again and she did it so wonderfully with beautiful words and an impactful message. At this stage, Gill could come out with a recipe book and I would give it 5 stars SHE’S JUST SUCH AN INCREDIBLE POET AND WRITER. I feel so much when I read Gill’s work and honestly, this collection was organised amazingly well and did so in a manner that was thematic and also portrayed the process of healing. The poetry was incredible, unders ...more
Kal ★ Reader Voracious

I can't wait to read this poetry collection!

Review copy sent to me by the publisher, Thought Catalog, in exchange for my honest review!
Blog | Twitter | Pinterest
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Originally published on my book blog, TheBibliophage.com.

Nikita Gill is a twenty-something poet, of British-Indian heritage. She’s an Instagram poet, which is a social media phenomenon of the our new century. And, as such, I’m not really her audience.

But, since I read another of her books earlier this year, her publisher asked if I’d like to read and review this newer book. So, I gave it a go. And it just wasn’t great. Or perhaps I’m about thirty years too old for her sentiments. I’m more of a M
Eunice Moral
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐️

I was provided by Thought Catalog Books a copy in exchange for an honest review. This is the third book I have read by Nikita Gill, while I am not a huge fan I saw how her poetry evolved through time. How it has become more solid and more evocative. Her poetry has the usual theme of self-love, heartbreak, feminism now mixed with some mythology concepts, which I appreciate. I still have this problem with her poetry, to me they are still repetitive. If you’re a fan of Lang Leav and Rupi Kaur
Calista
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nikita Gill's poetry and prose speaks to my soul. She understands the depths of trauma and abuse, and of trying to heal from a heart too broken to want to move forward. I found life and light in her words, and would especially recommend this book to any woman who is a survivor of domestic violence, trauma, or sexual abuse.
Fanna
Oct 01, 2019 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
After reading Fierce Fairytales, I knew I have to read all of Nikita Gill's books and I'm very much excited to pick up this! Thank you, Thought Catalog Books, for a physical copy. ...more
Ella G
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Beautifully lyrical
Ashleigh Sage
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and soulful collection that centres around abuse, trauma and pain. The stages of healing and accepting yourself after the events of.
Ariana
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on: The Quirky Book Nerd

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

This is the first poetry collection by Nikita Gill that I have read and I really enjoyed it. I read so many contemporary poetry collections these days and I have to admit, a lot of them start to run together. Many poets write on the same topics—that’s to be expected—but a select few really put forth work that stands out among the rest. This collection is definitely one of
Hope
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Nikita Gill’s poetry collection Your Heart Is the Sea follows a contemporary trend that combines survivor poetics with self-love and self-help. It feels like the poetry collection you want to give your friend who is going through a hard time. Her style is raw and beautiful, but what truly makes it impactful is the accessibility and ease of Gill’s writing. Sometimes, the best things are said in the most straightforward ways, and this is evidenced in this collection. Gill’s style is similar to tha ...more
Dorian
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chelsea DeVries
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Naturally, I was floored when Thought Catalog reached out to me directly as someone they thought of to review Nikita Gill's newest poetry collection. They sent me the book and from the second I opened it I had trouble putting it down. It was like slow waves that wash over you as you stand upon the ocean's edge. Your toes sink into the sand as you step deeper and deeper into the water, wading into it until the bravest parts of you are under water and only your head is above.

The water gets roughe
Tiara
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, poetry
2.5*

Thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

Earlier in the year I had read and reviewed Fierce Fairytales, which I absolutely loved. As such, the publishers had reached out to me and asked me to review this one. Having loved her previous book, I had high hopes going into this one. I'm sad to say that I was severely disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, there were a couple poems in there that brought tears to my eyes from the amount of emot
Payton (Payton's Book Thoughts)
This is a wonderful and deep poetry collection.

This words are beautifully strung together to tell a hard hitting story.

This book is about depression.
This book is about anxiety.
This book is about love being used as a weapon.
This book is about pain.
This book is about recovery.
This book is about healing.
This book is about self love.
This book is about letting go.
This book is about self acceptance.
This book is about self love.

This book is about how you get from depression to self love.

I
DeAnne
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By now I've discovered that I'm just going to love everything Nikita Gill writes. I'm pretty sure this is the last of her collections that I hadn't read it and again, I loved it.

The way she weaves topics such as assault, abuse, depression and more into things like mythology and stories is just beautiful. Her writing is both powerful and lyrical, with emphasis in the best places. For someone who doesn't always love modern poetry, hers is the stuff I love.

She truly takes on hard hitting subjects
Audra
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nikita Gill speaks from a place of genuine vulnerability and because of that I can find authentic connection with her and her words. And I am grateful. So, many of these poems are life feeding but one that I keep returning to is:

Learning Through Seeing

If you are coming to these arms
seeking the glue
that will put back your broken pieces,
then forgive me,
for these arms will let you down.

But this heart knows
the secret you seek,
and I will show you in full,
how I took my own brokenness
from inside my b
Printed Pages and Coffee
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
One of the things you can truly depend on in this life is that anything you read of Nikita Gill’s will inevitably break your heart. It will absolutely crush you, shatter your emotional stability, ruin you.

And then, her words will start to stitch you back together again. It’s why she is one of my favourite poets, I think. Because the force she puts into her words put you back together again after breaking you down completely.

I have a full review on my blog, but seriously, read this.
Jennifer Leigh
Your Heart is the Sea is a realistic poetry collection that shows that life is what you make it. Through the ups and downs of life, this poetry collection captures it all. I think everyone will find something relatable in Your Heart is the Sea. I love how beautiful Nikita writes and I look forward to reading more of her work.

Read the full review on Bound to Writing at https://www.boundtowriting.com/poetry...
Jeremy Mifsud
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Well thought-out collection, in the sense that there is an emotional story to follow. However, although some poems are bangers, half of the collection felt like filler poems, very thoughtful, but not emotional or relatable enough.

Full Review on https://poetrybyjeremy.wordpress.com/...
H.M. Gautsch
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such brilliant poetry... it is true... this author and poet can really tug on the strings of your heart with their powerful, yet beautiful words... definitely one of my favorite modern poets in today’s literature...
Brooke
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-owned
This has easily become my favorite collection of Nikita Gill's poetry. While it may not have my favorite poem of hers I've read (That one is in Your Soul is a River) it has the most cohesive flow and emotion for me.
Glenda Woodson
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book to finish while coming out of the fog of my longest depression phase ever. This is the longest streak of "clear, normal" balance I have had in such a long time, and Gill's words felt like they came straight from my own soul. Highly recommend.

• Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Salt Water
  • I Hope You Stay
  • The Strength In Our Scars
  • The Road Between
  • Seeds Planted in Concrete
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Small Ghost
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • [Dis]Connected: Poems and Stories of Connection and Otherwise ([Dis]Connected #1)
  • Mending the Mind (Pillow Thoughts, #3)
  • Sink
  • In a Dream You Saw a Way to Survive
  • All The Words I Should Have Said
  • Nevermind, I'll be Okay
  • All the Letters I Should Have Sent
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Nocturnal
Nikita Gill is a Indian Sikh writer brought up in Gurugram, Haryana in India. In her mid twenties, she immigrated to the South of England and worked as a carer for many years. She enjoys creating paintings, poems, stories, photos, illustrations and other soft, positive things. Her work has appeared in Literary Orphans, Agave Magazine, Gravel Literary Journal, Monkeybicycle, Foliate Oak, MusePiePre ...more

News & Interviews

“When you go through the moments where you are questioning yourself whether or not it was abuse, remember the way it made you feel. Push away the nostalgia that is trying to minimize it, trying to trick you like a bad magician at a children’s party that the rabbit did come from the hat, that love and abuse come from the same hat.” 0 likes