Start by marking “The Standoff” as Want to Read:
The Standoff

The Standoff

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  347 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
A nightmare erupts when an FBI negotiator confronts a notorious criminal who has barricaded himself, his wife, and his five children in a secluded mountaintop cabin in Montana. Their tense, nine-day standoff builds into a deadly war of nerves between two unforgettably charismatic and strong-minded protagonists.
Published January 1st 1996 by Doubleday (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Standoff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Standoff

David Lucero
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that sets the tone for a fast-paced novel. It's a story I read when it first came out in 1995. Around that time I was getting back into reading. The blurb and cover are eye-catching. In spite having been published over 20 years ago, the story is real for today's genre.

A white supremacist is holed up in his mountain cabin and the police and feds are out to bring him in. But they must move cautious as the man is fighting with his family. It's the sort of theme you hear about in the
Alex Webster
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars
Michael
"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." Murphy's Law.

This seems to be the motto of the Border County Sheriff's Department and Sheriff Leonard M. Blood. Blood is ordered to serve a notice of eviction on Glenn Allen Ables for tax evasion. Blood, an American Indian, realizes that there could be danger so asks for the help of two deputies. Ables happens to be an anti government white supremacist/survivalist. When Blood attempts to serve the papers, one of his deputies is shot and wounded, anoth
Tim Warner
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down, I read it in two days. This is an excellent book which kept my constant attention.

I was completely sympathetic to the main character, Special Agent Banish. The plot gripped me. But more than these and other outstanding technical values, I felt all along that I was respected as a reader by an author who is so darned good that it is difficult to believe that this is a first effort by the author.

I am raving about Chuck Hogan because I detect that he loves the challenge
Mark R.
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
****1/2

Chuck Hogan's first novel, "The Standoff," is a tense, exciting story in which a battered old FBI hostage negotiator faces off against a white supremacist who refuses to vacate his home. The man flaked out on a court date, and the sheriff of a small northwest town is sent to serve notice. He'd met by gunshots, and so begins the standoff.

This book thrilled me as a kid, and I'm happy to find it hasn't lost any of its power over the years. The dialogue is good, the characters intriguing, and
Joanne Parkington
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this .. it was a good read .. not great & no way near as good as subsequent Chuck Hogan novel's but an interesting read none the less. Sometime's it's like trying to eat when your mouth's too full .. there's alot going on & not all of it needed .. There are also lot's of story line's that taper off to nothing like who is killing the local Indian's ?? There's alot of presumption to most of these story line's which isn't too bad a thing ... it just feel's so crammed.
Robert Landis
The book is a gritty depiction of a FBI standoff in the backwoods. The discomfort, cold, fear, frustration felt by the negotiator and various teams of support is palpable. You can feel the itch of not having shower for days, being hungry, feeling the rain on you.

You will not likely forget the rich characters, there backgrounds, strengths and weaknesses.

My only criticism by the time you are 2/3 through the book you know the outcome for thee primary character, the FBI negotiator.

R
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This isn't the kind of book that I usually read, but I wanted to read more by Chuck Hogan because I really liked his contribution to the Strain. It's a cop/fbi story and it's written well. The characters are strong and you never really side with any one person. They are all interesting. Again, I'm not really interested in this type of book, but it was a good read.
John Mccormick
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A gripping terrific read, about a damaged FBI hostage negotiator who finds himself transported to remote hilltop to take charge of the standoff of the title. As his confidence slowly returns and he takes charge of the situation so the tension increases.
The characters are well drawn and the book gives real insight about what goes on during an hostage situation
Simpet Soge
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Buku ini entah saya dapat dari mana, menceritakan tentang Si Agen Banish yang dipercayakan menangani pengepungan seorang penjahat yang justru menyandera keluarganya sendiri. Saat-saat pengepungan sungguh menegangkan, bagaimana si pengepung bernegosiasi dengan si penjahat. Pengepungan sendiri berjalan sukses, meski si Agen sendiri akhirnya terbunuh.
Jason
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
SA Banish is sent to handle a standoff but he had been pretty much off duty for three years. It was never really clear to me why he was sent in the first place. It is a good book, and I am looking forward to other books by him.
Vince Carter
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent suspense from many perspectives dealing with attempt to arrest a ideologue that spirals into an armed confrontation and chaos--like too many real life incidents--but giving a sense of the drama that exists in every one.
Nate Hendrix
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was an axcellent book. The same author wrote The Town, it was recently a movie about guys that rob banks and armored cars in boston. That was also an excellent book. The Standoff is completely different. I will be reading everything this guy has written.
Rubberboots
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book - very well written. I think this story is something that could definitely happen. I liked the group of caracters. Some parts were a little long but overall, a really enjoyable read. That is if you like FBI/Police type stories.
Cheri
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: readbutdontown
Not a terrible book, but not really my style.
Rebekkila
Nov 30, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Robert Grant
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This one started off great and then began to bog down in the middle. It picked up and reached a satisfying conclusion and overall, I liked this one. I think it would make a good movie.
Anthony
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fbi
An excellent review of the Ruby Ridge debacle which caused the ruin of several ranking FBI agents.
Barbara
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Slow reading at first, better about halfway through
Charles
Jul 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Got bored in the first three chapters ... couldn't finish.
Mark
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Came with a moneyback guarantee which I thought odd for a book, but it had plenty to back up the expectation.
Ben
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Awesome first novel, by the man that brought us Prince of Thieves (The Town as a movie)
Joe O'Connor
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good; FBI hostage negotiator vs. mountain family
Dan
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tense. Good storyline...
John R Urry
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Gritty story, maybe more characters than were needed. I enjoyed being inside agent Banish's head, interesting and thrilling ending....
Joe
Feb 21, 2012
Ann
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Very slow-moving for 2/3 of the book, but it got better for the final scene and resolution.
Scott
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • Mind Catcher
  • One More Sunday
  • Blackbird
  • Prisoner of the Horned Helmet (Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer, #1)
  • The Gun
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon (Janus Sílang, #1)
  • The Big Seven
  • Mass Murders (Trese, #3)
  • John Le Carré: Three Complete Novels [Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy / The Honourable Schoolboy / Smiley's People]
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2001
  • His Mother's Son
  • Three A.M.
  • Strangers
  • Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila (Part One) (Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila, #1)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Ten Commandments Twice Removed
  • Bedtime Favorites: A Treasury of Tales
Chuck Hogan is an American author. His story "Two Thousand Volts" appeared in The Best American Mystery Stories 2009. He is the co-author of The Strain Trilogy with Guillermo del Toro. His 2004 novel Prince of Thieves was adapted to film as the Ben Affleck directed The Town in 2010.
More about Chuck Hogan

$3.99 $0.99
  • Oh My Stars
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel