Start by marking “Maybe You Never Cry Again” as Want to Read:
Maybe You Never Cry Again

Maybe You Never Cry Again

One night, I come in and find my mama in front of the TV, cryin'. And you know how it is when you're a little kid: your mama cryin', you gonna be cryin' in a minute.

"What's wrong, Mama?" I ask her.

"It's nothin', Bean. Sometimes I think sad thoughts."

"What thoughts?"

She didn't answer. She was lookin' at the TV. Black guy's talkin' to Ed Sullivan. I look at him, but I don't

Audio CD, Abridged
Published September 23rd 2008 by HarperAudio (first published April 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Maybe You Never Cry Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maybe You Never Cry Again

Winter Sophia Rose
Insightful, Moving & Laugh Out Loud Funny! Excellent Read! I Loved It!
Livia
Dec 14, 2013 Livia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bernie Mac fans & bio junkies
Recommended to Livia by: Vickie Nowlin
Shelves: bios
I caught part of a tribute to Bernie Mac in the middle of the night which made me think of his autobiography. I loved the Bernie Mac show, and I enjoyed seeing him get bigger & bigger parts in movies.

I noticed randomly one day that my sister had this book so I asked to borrow it. I was really curious about him and what events in his life had shaped his sense of humor. I loved the fact that he met Rhonda in high school and won her over with his sense of humor. They were married when he was 2
Subrina
Apr 20, 2017 Subrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Bernie Mac doesn't just discuss his life and his rise to stardom but he gives the readers very useful advice about building and maintaining your self-esteem and self-reliance which he credits his mother of drilling into his head growing up.

So sad that he was gone too soon at the age of 50.
I truly recommend everyone, fan or not, to read his story.
Nada
I like & enjoy Bernie, not the best biography, that is correct but he was a unique individual which makes his story a very good one. A boy from the ghetto who went through many hardship, made it without compromising himself. It's a delightful & insightful book.
Bremer
May 16, 2017 Bremer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernie Mac was a comedian with a big heart. Raised in the South Side of Chicago, he learned old-school principles from his mother and grandparents, tough-lessons of integrity that were instilled in him since he was a child. Those lessons carried him throughout his life. Sometimes he didn’t understand the point of what his family was teaching, not until later, when dealing with struggles that tested his character.

“You know, funny thing about life. Most people, they got a problem, they crank and m
Elizabeth
Excellent autobiography. Been on a bit of an autobiography binge recently. Also wanted something funny after plodding through Notes From Underground. I wanted to read this book because, although I think Bernie Mac is really funny, I just love the way he speaks. I could listen to his voice without needing a punchline. This is a great book, and audiobook, for that.

I never knew he had such an interesting life. I never suspected. A problem with stand-up's autobiographies can be that they just stitch
Susan Davis
Jul 31, 2014 Susan Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still not over the loss of George Carlin, so it seems really unfair, to lose another of our most important entertainers: a comedian. For me, comedians are much more than people who make me laugh; they inform and help me put things into perspective.

Bernie Mac was from my neck of the woods: the south side of Chicago. We grew up around the same time, and we had something in common. His book: "Maybe You Never Cry Again," reminded me of how I had also used comedy, as a device to deflect from the
Kimberly Hicks
Mar 14, 2012 Kimberly Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature Readers
Recommended to Kimberly by: Amazon
From the first sentence to the last, I couldn't stop laughing. Even when Bernie is trying to be serious, he's funny! The man was just oozing with comedy in his blood. This is the reason I love reading about famous people because you learn so much about who they are and why they came to be!

Bernard Jeffrey McCullough had an incredible amazing life. He's had a great deal of tragedy, which from what I've learned about most comedians' life stories I've read, pain is what makes them so raw and funny a
RYCJ
May 05, 2010 RYCJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-keepers
...I couldn't put the book down!!! Anyone looking for pearls of wisdom, and I mean there are some rugged blue mother oysters of wisdom in this one, but 'Maybe You Never Cry Again' will give it to you straighter and realer than a stand-up routine of any length could ever tell.

A well put-together memoir from start to finish. The reading is not only rare and raw, but comes from a man with a heart as tender as it was big. The wisdom doesn't lay flat, but rather stands up to the telling of a persuas
Alan Hoffman
Mac didn't really know his father. After his mother died, he was raised by his two grandparents. He had a strict upbringing, and he considers this to be an important reason why he was successful. He saw a lot of other people ruin their opportunities.

He started a family when he was very young and had to support them while pursuing his dream of being a comedian. He had a strong work ethic and became very depressed when he didn't have a job and income.

He worked a long time in stand-up before his
Lynn Dixon
Dec 18, 2016 Lynn Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like sitting down having an in-depth conversation with Bernie Mac. As a Chicagoan, it was also nostalgic as he talked about his life. I could picture certain corners, neighborhoods and clubs that he frequented. This is an account of how he rose to fame and his struggle was long, hard and very real. He lost his mom at an early age, but her words of wisdom led and sustained him throughout his 50 years of life. He worked as a truck driver, hauled refrigerators, worked in a sto ...more
Rachel
Aug 11, 2009 Rachel marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I'm beginning to realize that life is too short to read a book I'm just not interested in. I was listening to this via audiobook and it was read by Bernie Mac. He promotes an awesome message, especially to fellow young people: he had a rough background but he never let it direct his path; he set his sights on something greater and he worked to achieve it. Still, the reading style just didn't appeal to me. He writes like he talks -- and while that gives the yarn a strong sense of voice, it was a ...more
Kewannah
Apr 18, 2013 Kewannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a little hard to get into this book since it's written EXACTLY how Bernie Mac speaks. However, once you push past that you see it's a really great story of upliftment, dreaming big and goal setting. If you read this book and look at the language as a character (like with something like say, Their Eyes Were Watching God) you'll really get into this book.

Bernie is a man on fire with passion for his lifelong dream of comedy. He weaves in humour (obviously) to this book because it's really ch
Jeykel Mairena
May 05, 2016 Jeykel Mairena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This narrative which describes the true life events and the story of one of the Original Kings Of Comedy, Bernie Mac. Bernie Mac is a legend not only in the eyes of most people out there but a legend in my eyes as well. Bernie Mac had a tough life growing up having comedy be an outsource in his life. Bernie Macs story of growing up is one of those that not only teach you how to value each of the things that you have in your daily life but the things that you believe are necessary for your everyd ...more
Oct 01, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
I am a big Bernie Mac fan and this is a pleasure to listen to. Just Bernie, talking to his fans about how he got where he was. He gives nearly all the credit to his mother and Grandmother, who he calls the man in his life. He had a hard childhood, and lost his mother as a teen, "had to get married" right out of high school and worked many hard jobs, all while pursuing his destiny as a comedian. He is someone to really admire and I'm happy he saw so much success before he died so young. The recor ...more
Jason
Apr 22, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Bernie Mac had a hard start to life, but he had a good mother who taught him important lessons for life. Bernie worked very hard to get where he is today. All I knew about Bernie Mac before reading this book was from his TV show, which I like. After reading this book I have a lot of respect for this man. I think everyone should read books like this, its inspiring and illustrates that success at anything doesn't just happen, you have to work for it.
Beckie
Apr 16, 2016 Beckie rated it it was amazing
The title may be Maybe You Never Cry Again, but trust me, many, many tears will be shed listening to the Mac Man tell his story. He had such a hard life, but he was brought up right, his Mama and his Grandma always gave him words of hope and wisdom and told me to keep on going, and he never stopped chasing his dream. And he caught it and took it to the top, America! He was taken from us too soon, but his genius lives on.
Shawna
Jun 05, 2011 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Bernie Mac is a compelling storyteller, this memoir sucked me right in and I read it in 24 hours. His struggles kept coming, but he perservered. It breaks my heart that he died so young. A lot of good thoughts and lessons for a person who desires to follow a dream that others might not believe in.
Steve
Aug 07, 2011 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most comedians' autobiographies are funny, but Bernie Mac's hard life leaves the reader more amazed than amused. There are funny moments, to be sure, but we're left with great respect for this hardworking man of integrity who put the same pride of ownership into his comedy as he did to every other job in his life.
A true King of Comedy.
Jewell
Feb 06, 2013 Jewell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book awhile back and only recently watched his television show via Netflix streaming. Enjoyed the show and the book as well. A funny but wise man, he exemplifies what one can achieve and aspire to be no matter what circumstances they may face. We lost a great human being when we lost Betnie Mac!
Douglas
Sep 09, 2006 Douglas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People that like biographies
Shelves: biographies
The first 80 pages were a lightning fast read. It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be but it was a great eye opener about someone that grew up in the ghetto and how he continued to chase his dream of being a comedian. I loved how he was laid off many times from many blue collar jobs, but just kept plugging away and made it big. That was a great story.
Troy
Jan 01, 2012 Troy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His comedy was great, and his sense of determination something to aspire to. I enjoyed this book, and it is a TON funnier if you read it in his voice. The only problem/takeaway that I had was the reinforcement of the Baptist ideal, that "if it don't hurt, it ain't worth it."

A unique individual. Very good book.
Pipistrelle
Jun 20, 2008 Pipistrelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernie Mac is as funny and endearing in his book as he is in his TV show. It's a quick read and at first I was put off by the street grammar but then I could hear his voice saying the things I was reading as I read. I enjoyed it very much.
Tasha Mac
Dec 07, 2010 Tasha Mac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is very detailed and it expresses so much about himself as a child growing up in Chicago. I discovered the truth of his wife and kids and how his career first started.Its pretty funny because he wrote some of his acts in the nook from Kings of Comedy.
Lei
Jun 11, 2007 Lei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you know what Bernie Mac is like then you're love his material. This gives you an insight of Bernie Mac's World and probably paint you a picture of why his comedy is the way it is. Very funny and no one else can pull it off like he can! If you can get this on Audio book then it's even better!
Martin Wurst
May 10, 2016 Martin Wurst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stern upbringing from his mother resulted in a strong and determined man- very inspiring book. The story behind the title itself is very moving. Highly recommended for comedians or anyone interested in Bernie, who writes so clearly in his voice. Wish he was still kicking.
Marisa Gonzalez
Sep 19, 2016 Marisa Gonzalez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
A great memoir by the late Bernie Mac. He told about his life growing up in a poor but loving family and how it shaped him to never give up and become a successful comedian. I highly recommend this one. Lots of good advice and lessons in perseverance along with lots of humor.
Dana
Mar 03, 2016 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! Told with humor, wisdom and humility that makes it easy to see that Bernie Mac was more than a great entertainer; he was a good person. Think I'm going to check Netflix for the Original Kings of Comedy or the Bernie Mac Show. Enjoy America!
Shà
very very good
Pia Roper
An odd piece of literature, but demonstrates the power of destiny and how it drives us.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • I Am Charlie Wilson
  • The Pulse, Vol. 2: Secret War
  • Smut Peddler: 2014 Edition
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • You Have No Idea: A Famous Daughter, Her No-nonsense Mother, and How They Survived Pageants, Hollywood, Love, Loss (and Each Other)
  • Therefore, Repent!
  • Dynomite!: Good Times, Bad Times, Our Times--A Memoir
  • Essential X-Men, Vol. 2
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • Of Fear and Faith (Death and Destiny #1)
  • The Witchcraft of Salem Village
Bernard Jeffrey McCullough, better known by the stage name Bernie Mac, was an American actor and comedian. Born and raised on the South Side of Chicago, Mac gained popularity as a stand-up comedian. He joined comedians Steve Harvey, Cedric the Entertainer and D.L. Hughley as The Original Kings of Comedy.

After briefly hosting the HBO show Midnight Mac, Mac appeared in several movies in smaller role
More about Bernie Mac...