Start by marking “When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress” as Want to Read:
When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress

When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress

In this accessible and groundbreaking book--filled with the moving stories of real people--medical doctor and bestselling author Gabor Maté shows that emotion and psychological stress play a powerful role in the onset of chronic illness, including breast cancer, prostate cancer, multiple sclerosis and many others, even Alzheimer's disease.

When the Body Says No is an
Published February 3rd 2004 by Vintage Canada (first published 2003)

Start your review of When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress
Rowena
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
When we have been prevented from learning how to say no, our bodies may end up saying it for us. - Gabor Maté, When the Body Says No

I think its common knowledge that stress takes its toll on the body and can cause chronic illness. Gabor Maté goes a step further in his analysis on stress impact on the body and looks in more depth into autoimmune diseases and how our reactions to life, as well as our upbringings, and our relationships with loved ones, might affect how our body reacts, for better
Sophie
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well, I'm new to this site. I'm currently reading another of this author's books, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, about addiction. So I was reminded of the important role this book has played in my life. I read When the Body Says No shortly after being diagnosed with a life threatening autoimmune disease. It's scleroderma, one of the illnesses he talks about. Doctors encouraged me to make peace with life, as well as to stop working immediately. I didn't have long, they said. I had a highly ...more
Sara
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my concerns when I started reading this book was whether he would adequately address the idea of personal blame. I was pleasantly surprised on his clear distinction between blaming someone for their illness versus looking at larger dynamics that can add an increased risk to autoimmune disorders. He is fully in the latter category, not at all the former. In other words, he's not simplistic in his approach and does not say just "If this, then that." I appreciated how he walks the reader ...more
LizG
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Finally, a book by a conventional Western doctor wholeheartedly supporting the concept of the body as a holistic organism. It's about time.

Dr. Mate describes, in layman's terms, the newly combined medical discipline called psychoneuroimmunoendocrinology -- the inextricably interconnected systems of psychology, neurology, immunology and endocrinology -- and describes how underlying, ongoing, unconscious stress is directly linked with specific disease.

This book is a wake up call for anyone facing
Lisa
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredibly difficult book to read, page for page. I imagine it would be moreso if you are dealing with one of the many illnesses Maté discusses (cancer, multiple sclerosis, inflammatory bowel disease, etc.). But it was a great choice to end the year with, to contemplate during a week off from my (emotionally heavy and increasingly draining) work.

Maté makes connections between physical health and emotional patterns of behaviour that should be obvious, but are overlooked by our
Julie
Jun 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Fine, call me a narrow-minded medic.

What irked me particularly about this book is the fact that every chapter starts with a sad tale of loss, grief, abuse and emotional repression that simply 'happens' to happen in somebody suffering from ALS/MS/various cancers. And from this Mate draws the conclusion (kinda) that denying your feelings will give you scleroderma.

Don't get me wrong here - I know fully well about the proper evidence (like, you know, academic papers and the likes) discussing the
StMargarets
A real eye-opening book about how stress and anxiety wear down the immune system and contribute to a host of illnesses. I didn't need to be sold on the connection, because it makes perfect sense to me, but I was glad to read the whys and wherefores. In the last chapter the author gives some advice as to how to confront the stress patterns that plague many people. This is well worth a read if you are interested in the mind/body connection and the medical research that backs it up.
Bethany
Jun 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Repression-stress-lowered immunity as a trigger for disease, make sense and has been discussed before. A person only has to live through one major, stressful episode in his/her life to attest that the link between these is real. The author states repeatedly that it is only one of several contributing factors, however, like the majority of traditionally trained medical doctors, he ignores some very important ones: parasitic activity in our bodies, solvents and other toxins that have become ...more
Cathy
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another keeper from one of my favourite authors. Dr. Mate has many examples to make clear the connection between repressed emotions and disease. A reminder that you cannot fool Mother Nature by living in denial.
Mehrsa
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I totally buy the mind/body connection explored here and grew up in a home where my doctor father and mystic mother always talked about it so this book and his theories felt right and familiar. The book was a sequence of cases that were illuminating and interesting.
Beth
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
After reading this book, I want to buy it for about a dozen people I know. While it covered a lot I knew or assumed about the stress & diseases connection, Mate does a good job of pushing the idea about ten steps further and makes a lot of connections and points in the argument that stress and disease should be considered 1) by viewing the body as a system of systems (hormones, autoimmune, nervous, etc.) and 2) by viewing the disease not solely as a physical manifestation, but within the ...more
Annie Donovan-Aitken
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book - he is a GP/Psychotherapist and for this book he's interviewed people so you get their stories but also reprots back from studies. His view is that current medicine splits treatment to purely 'body' whereas health can only accurately be thought of in terms of mind-&-body. Coming from a science background I enjoyed all the descriptions of killer t cells, endocrine systems, cortisol etc etc. I think anyone would as it's written very clearly and simply. Plus it's ...more
Michael
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gabor contributes his intelligence and insight to the realm of mind-body connectedness. He weaves together the latest advances in neuroscience, endocrinology and developmental science and leavens these with personal insight and a firm grasp of the humanities and philosophy. The end result is a truly powerful commentary and critique of western medicine and the approach we take to illness in our society. I was deeply moved and inspired by this work.
Shahrazad
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pandit
Jan 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
I recognise this book brings hope to people suffering with disease, but it is not reality based hope.
1. There is little evidence of personality types and disease, despite a lot of desperate believers in it. It's still possible such evidence will emerge (and I'd hope it does), but it has not appeared yet, despite much effort. Spiritual healing should be part of any recovery from illness agreed. And chronic stress definitely correlates to many types of illness. But this book is offering unfounded
Eve Dangerfield
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We have seen in study after study that compulsive positive thinkers are more likely to develop disease and less likely to survive. Genuine positive thinking or, more deeply, positive being empowers us to know that we have nothing to fear from truth."
Mind blown.
I'm so glad I followed Dr. Nicole LePera AKA 'the Holistic Psychologist's recommendation and read this. I felt a million different things as I worked my way through. It's dense but so fucking interesting, it was easy to get to the end.
Sandy
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! So enlightening! I wish I could give a copy of this to everyone in my family (I wont). This and The Body Keeps The Score are my pillars of healing. ...more
Beth Haynes
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first became interested in studying medicine at the end of college, primarily intrigued by the interplay between mind and body. In the following 40+ years, this interest never went away, although I gave other matters and subjects greater priority. My recent discovery of functional and integrative medicine has drawn me back.

For those new to the idea that your mind has profound affects on your body - down to the cellular and even genetic level - "When the Body Says No" is a good introduction.
Laurel Bradshaw
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, health
Description:
Can a person literally die of loneliness? Is there a connection between inhibited emotion and Alzheimers disease? Is there a "cancer personality"? Questions such as these are emerging as scientific findings throw new light on the controversy that surrounds the mind-body connection in illness and health. Modern research is confirming the age-old wisdom that emotions profoundly affect our physiology. Repressed emotions frequently bring on stress which, in turn, can lead to disease.
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the best books I've ever read, and I can't wait to read more of Gabor Mate's books. Mate looks at the emotional components of various diseases and how stress (an environmental factor) affects the onset of cancer, MS, arthritis, alzheimer's, you name it. Each disease tends to have a particular personality profile that corresponds to it. With lung cancer, for example, Mate observes that we tend to think that smoking causes lung cancer. However, if that were true, then all smokers ...more
Natasha
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The idea in this book is so important. When our body is under attack (from stress), it fights back with illnesses. I was already a strong believer in this idea and many of Gabor Matés stories support my thinking.
However, if I wasnt already a strong believer, Im not sure Matés book would convince me. For a person who is new to the idea of stress hurting your body, they might find this book to have too many similar stories and might end in tuning out.
I would recommend this book to someone who is
Sezín Koehler
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sezín by: @Kristen
Shelves: culture, health
This is easily one of the most important books I've ever read in my life.

Once I've read it a few more times and understand the science a bit better I'm writing an extensive article on why everyone needs to read this book. My life will never be the same, and I can mark the moment in which everything got better the day I finished reading Maté's work for the first time.

This is life-saving stuff. Illuminating. Painful. Marvelous research.

Read it.

Seriously. Just read it. You'll see.
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partially-read
This book is full of case studies and anecdotal evidence in support of the authors hypothesis: Stressed out people get sick more (ground-breaking, I know).

I particularly hated this quote:

Studies in psychology - an art trying desperately to dress itself up as a pure science - often find only what the particular researchers have the eyes to see. p 42

Really? REALLY? Shitting on psychology while building an argument supported largely by case studies? Pot, meet kettle.
Justin Hembree
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just read the synopsis unless you want to find out about all the wonderful ways you gonna die.
Sandra
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book for everyone. ...more
Frankie Paige
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worth a read for the last chapter alone.
sami al-khalili
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not only for people that are professionals in the field of therapy and psychology. This book is for the everyday reader that wants to understand the deeper organisms of emotions and how they grow in the cultures of our mind, body, and heart. Dr. Gabor Mate touches on the enlightening yet plainly obvious fact that negative emotions can deepen trauma yet also liberate trauma through the means of healthy release and heal what often kills millions of people around the world.
Valentin Vișan
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautiful and uncomfortable story about ourselves
Nisha D
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting through this book. I know many people who loved it, I found it to be really dry.
Emma
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very insightful book about the link between mind and body and how stresses in our lives can cause disease. Its easy to read and the stories of patients are presented in a gentle and supportive way. I enjoyed the book and am of the opinion we can, and do, create dis-ease in our bodies. ...more

• Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers
  • Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma
  • The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • Nurturing Resilience: Helping Clients Move Forward from Developmental Trauma-An Integrative Somatic Approach
  • In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness
  • Healing Developmental Trauma: How Early Trauma Affects Self-Regulation, Self-Image, and the Capacity for Relationship
  • The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self
  • Own Your Self: The Surprising Path beyond Depression, Anxiety, and Fatigue to Reclaiming Your Authenticity, Vitality, and Freedom
  • Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve: Self-Help Exercises for Anxiety, Depression, Trauma, and Autism
  • Bütün Çocuklar İyidir
  • İyi Toplum Yoktur: Günlük Hayatta Toplumun Bireyi İstismar Biçimleri
  • The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain
  • It Didn't Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle
  • The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity
  • Running on Empty: Overcome Your Childhood Emotional Neglect
  • Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents
  • Trauma and Memory: Brain and Body in a Search for the Living Past
  • The Body Never Lies: The Lingering Effects of Hurtful Parenting
Dr Gabor Maté (CM) is a Hungarian-born Canadian physician who specializes in the study and treatment of addiction and is also widely recognized for his unique perspective on Attention Deficit Disorder and his firmly held belief in the connection between mind and body health.

Born in Budapest, Hungary in 1944, he is a survivor of the Nazi genocide. His maternal grandparents were killed in Auschwitz

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...
“Emotional competence requires the capacity to feel our emotions, so that we are aware when we are experiencing stress; the ability to express our emotions effectively and thereby to assert our needs and to maintain the integrity of our emotional boundaries; the facility to distinguish between psychological reactions that are pertinent to the present situation and those that represent residue from the past.

What we want and demand from the world needs to conform to our present needs, not to unconscious, unsatisfied needs from childhood. If distinctions between past and present blur, we will perceive loss or the threat of loss where none exists; and the awareness of those genuine needs that do require satisfaction, rather than their repression for the sake of gaining the acceptance or approval of others. Stress occurs in the absence of these criteria, and it leads to the disruption of homeostasis. Chronic disruption results in ill health.

In each of the individual histories of illness in this book, one or more aspect of emotional competence was significantly compromised, usually in ways entirely unknown to the person involved. Emotional competence is what we need to develop if we are to protect ourselves from the hidden stresses that create a risk to health, and it is what we need to regain if we are to heal. We need to foster emotional competence in our children, as the best preventive medicine.”
21 likes
“The research literature has identified three factors that universally lead to stress: uncertainty, the lack of information and the loss of control.” 16 likes