Start by marking “Top 8 (Top 8, #1)” as Want to Read:
Top 8 (Top 8, #1)

Top 8

(Top 8 #1)

Social networking sites are THE place to be for today's teens -- this fun, juicy novel explores the ups, downs, and scandals of a group of friends online!

Madison MacDonald is seriously freaking out

Madison MacDonald
Putnam, CT

Status: Single?

About Me:
Everything in my life was working out. I had my three best
Published October 1st 2008 by Point

To ask other readers questions about Top 8, please sign up.

Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
Morgan Matson (aka Katie Finn) is so great at character development, it's literally ridiculous. I loved how fun this novel was, the quotes and songs are so great and the twists and turns made this super duper entertaining. If you've loved all her other stuff, you will love this!
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
just remembered that i had read this forever ago so ayo
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

TOP 8 was a book that I didn't want to put down once I started reading.

Madison MacDonald is stuck going on a trip to the Galapagos Islands with her family for spring break. She's not thrilled about it at all. She's recently started dating Justin Williamson (seventeen days) and doesn't want to leave him or her friends. And to make matters worse, she can't take her cell phone or laptop with her because they'd be useless.

The trip turns out to be
Stephany
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If a book ever made me smile nonstop, giggle uncontrollably, made my stomach flop, made me verbally exclaim different sentiments ("I saw that coming!" "Omg, I knew it!" "I totally saw that coming!!"), it is this book. And I rarely get into books that much.

From the beginning, I didn't understand what was so great about her boyfriend, Justin. When she first explained what he's like and how happy he makes her, I was like, "Aww, how sweet." But then she would think about him and think of
Katie Miller
May 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: 12 year olds and parents who dont actually know how to internet
As a teenager who practically lives on the internet, when I received this book as a gift I thought, "meh. okay, I'll read it." I find that most "internet based" books are written from a parent "OMG YOU NEED TO WATCH WHAT YOUR KIDS OD ONLINE BECAUSE EVERYONE IS AN EVIL HACKER EXCEPT YOUR KID" perspective. This book did not fail to bring out that perspective. Aside from the predictable parent-esque attitude about the internet, I mostly found this novel shallow and unrealistic. Most people, if they ...more
Anna Motteler
Oct 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teenage girls, moms trying to understand their teenagers
I loved this book. I feel like this is a really easy book to relate to, especially if you're in high school, obviously. The main character, Madison, went somewhere over spring break & when she came back, her Friendverse (keyword for basically a MySpace or Facebook) & it had been hacked. See, Madison has a problem with telling her other close friends everything about everyone else. She's not real good at keeping her mouth shut, and that seems to be her biggest problem. Her "hacker" seems ...more
Adele
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book didn't knock my socks off. I think the whole solution to having one's friendverse site hacked would be to delete it. Or is that just me? Despite this, I think it had an interesting message about dissing people behind their backs. The hackers (of which I guessed very, very early) parroted Madison's own comments about people on her myspace-like site while she was on vacation. So while she had been hacked, she couldn't really defend heself against the comments. An interesting predicament ...more
Monika
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Morgan Matson's writing and I'm so glad I found her books she wrote as Katie Finn. The story is a perfect summer read for teens/preteens. It's a pity I didn't have the chance to read it earlier because I'm sure I would enjoy it a lot more if I were younger. I wasn't expecting much from this book but it really surprised me because it was just amazing!
Jacquelyn
Plot: 6/10
Creativity: 7/10
Writing: 5/10
Characters: 7/10
Pacing: 8/10

Total: 33/50

I liked this book enough for me to want to continue on with the series, but it wasn't anything special. It was a light read. Pretty quick read. I really liked how things came through in the end.
rye
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5

-This book is most definitely a guilty pleasure. It was very flawed, but it's Morgan Matson! And Morgan Matson is amazing! If you didn't know already, Morgan Matson also writes under the name Katie Finn.
-The whole plotline of the story was very, very, cheesy but the mystery did keep me intrigued. Surprisingly, I had no idea who hacked the account until a bit over halfway and I put all the pieces together.
-Madison at times could be very annoying and naive. Her need for
Madison
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teen girls and older
Genre: Young Adult

I chose this book because of the title. When i went threw the isles of books the title caught my eye.

Katie Finn's Top 8 was an intriguing book that i never wanted to put down. It started with Madison MacDonald who is a 16 year old girl living in Connecticut. Her life seemed perfect; she had a new boyfriend Justin (of 17 days), the lead in the school's next production, and three amazing best friends (Ruth, Lisa, and Schuyler). But her life turned sour when Mads came
Joyce Baker
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Joyce Baker
Mystery

For two weeks, Madison MacDonald goes to Galapagos Island for spring break with her parents and her little brother Travis. She comes home and discovers her Friendverse account has been hacked. The hacker was relentless. Madison meets with her three closest friends. They forgive her but others are not so easily persuaded.

To Madison’s dismay, she is hacked again. This time the hacker stole and returned her laptop out of her locker to do the crime. Ma
7703arlet
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a good realistic-fiction book. It's about a girl named Madison who goes to vacation over spring break. When she comes back she finds out that her Friendverse profile had been hacked. It revealed secrets of other people and they got mad at her because they trusted her to keep their secrets confidential. Madison just wanted things to go back to normal and to find out who her hacker was. I really enjoyed this book because this book is a mystery book and I just wanted the pieces to fit toget ...more
Janelle
Dec 07, 2008 rated it liked it
So when I first picked up this book, I really liked the plot and couldn't wait to see where the author took it. But about half way through, I realized that it was going to be very cliché, and very unrealistic. By the time that I was finished, I realized that I was right. To be honest, there were times where I was getting bored with it and just wanted to finish it so I could move on. There was a good plot, but I think the author just needed to take it a different way.
Nisha
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! Plus, it was very easy to get into because the story is exiting right from the beginning of the book! I could not put this book down. It was really a page-turner because it was very exiting and interesting. I like how the plot is very original and the characters are easy to relate to. I would recommend this book to teen girls who like reading about highschool and things like that.
Dominique Ellis
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was beyond excellent, I could NOT put it down. Madison Macdonald is 16 year old girl, and just like every other 16 year old her life is completely dependent on social media, but over spring break someone hacks into her account and spills secrets of her friends, all over the internet causing her friends to turn their back on her, and her boyfriend to break up with her. Can Madison figure out who's impersonating her, reclaim her friends and love back?
Maddie
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
Real rating: 3.5 stars!

The type of book you can read in one sitting. It was so absorbing and fun, with all the little red herrings in the mystery. It's too bad episodes of Inspector Morse have trained me to think outside the box, so I guess the hacker about half way through. Still, Top 8 has some excellent messages about sharing information and the keeping everyone's trust.
Kaitlyn
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary-ya
This book was just okay and I basically ordered it for a quick read at work. Someone hacked the main girl's online profile (a lot like facebook) while she was on vacation and she is dealing with the consequences and trying to figure out who did it throughout the book.
Cristi-Lael
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A quick read, and a cute book. I did, however, see some similarities between this book and Matson's newest book. That's not a bad thing, and I may have not noticed if I hadn't just read them both recently.
Jenni
Ugh.

This book is popular with my students.

UGH.

That's all I can say.

Oh, and I'm thankful Myspace went under.
Hailey
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book “ Top 8 “ wasn’t just a book t to me but I actually feel like this book connects to the outside world . I say this because After being on a trip Fresh from a vacation in the Galapagos Islands, Madison returns stateside only to discover someone has hacked into her Friendverse ( Facebook & her MySpace) profile and completely changed her profile. And broken up with her boyfriend. And said terrible things to her “friends,” who unfriended her. And posted the most unflattering, somewhat ...more
McKenzie Creagan
Taisha Casimir
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kayla Hayes
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
When you read the back of the book you think it's going to be better than it was but this book was not one of my favorite reads. To me it seemed like a high school student wrote it. It was hard to read and it was more predictable than I anticipated.
Kathryn Steffen
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable! I loved Nate. I love that we get to see what each character looks like. The friendships were so good and fleshed out. So impressed. Loved it!
Kalena W
This was a fairly good book. The characters were funny and relatable and I liked how the author set up the book.
Jenn
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute and funny. A bit on the young side of YA but still enjoyable.
Em7921
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Top 8 Round up the Usual Profiles
By: Katie Finn
Reviewed By: Emily K.

Friendverse is the new Myspace to the highschoolers in Putnam Connecticut home of the fighting pilgrim. One student; Madison Macdonald is very attached and thinks of Friendverse as her life. She goes on vacation with her family to the Galapagos Islands for spring break. While Madison was enjoying her time someone was working hard to destroy her “life” on Friendverse.
Madison narrates the story as a 16 year o
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

3.5 stars.

Diversity Rating: 0 – What Diversity?

Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: 0
Intersectionality: 0

So I found Katie Finn’s (aka Morgan Matson’s) most recent offerings a bit wanting, but that didn’t stop me from wanting Top 8 because some days, you just want a social media mystery novel. Or any book with social media as a major plot point. I’ve got to admit, Finn surprised me! The beginning is very rough, but the payoff is worth the initial pain.

I’m a big fan of abandon/>/>/>/>Diversity/>3.5
Ashley
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good! I even got my 10 year old brother to read this and he said it was the best! And that is coming from a kid that does not read or like to read. The book had so much funny things in it. I could not put it down. I would be sitting on the couch laghing out loud and my mom would ask whats up and I would say umm just reading. It was the best.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Giving Up the V
  • Are U 4 Real?
  • Klepto
  • The Oracle Rebounds (The Oracle of Dating, #2)
  • bff: a girlfriend book you write together
  • In Your Room
  • Alive and Well in Prague, New York
  • The Year My Sister Got Lucky
  • Fact of Life #31
  • Chasing Boys
  • Exposed
  • Confessions of a Boyfriend Stealer
  • Speed Dating (Dating Game, #5)
  • 6X: The Uncensored Confessions (6X, #1)
  • Love in the Corner Pocket
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Faketastic (Frenemies, #2)
Katie Finn grew up in Connecticut, in a town that looks an awful lot like Putnam. During high school, she was a total theater devotee (like Madison) and never dreamed she’d be a writer. But lots of Katie’s high school misadventures have made it into her books…which just goes to show that you never know!

She currently lives in Los Angeles, California, in a house she wishes was a lot clos

Top 8 (3 books)
  • What's Your Status? (Top 8, #2)
  • Unfriended (Top 8, #3)