Start by marking “The House in the Cerulean Sea” as Want to Read:
The House in the Cerulean Sea

The House in the Cerulean Sea

A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret.

Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a devious cat and his old records. As a Case Worker at the Department in Charge Of Magical Youth, he spends his days overseeing the well-being of children in government-sanctioned orphanages.

When Linus is unexpectedly summoned by Extremely
Expected publication: March 17th 2020 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The House in the Cerulean Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House in the Cerulean Sea

Start your review of The House in the Cerulean Sea
T.J.
Sep 22, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
On March 17, 2020, a new adventure begins.

From my new publisher, Tor, comes a queer fantasy romance, The House in the Cerulean Sea.

Blurb:

A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret.

When Linus is unexpectedly summoned
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
An extraordinary treat for both T.J. Klune fans and those new to his writing, The House in the Cerulean Sea is a heart-warming, wholesome, diverse, ridiculous, and completely lovable fantasy story.

As a long-time T.J. Klune fan, as I'm sure many of you are, I know you are asking yourself what this book will be like now that T.J. Klune is publishing with the big boys. I'm very happy to report that the book read just like I was expecting it to, which means tight writing, romance (!), queer
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This sounds super queer and wild as hell and boy if that doesn't sum up my entire taste in books I don't know what does
Dennis
A cute and fun science-fiction novel that is reminiscent of the Netflix show, The Umbrella Academy. At times, this book battled on the verge of ridiculousness, but overall it is a fun fantasy novel that fans of the genre will enjoy.
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Kindle edition - 18.13 ($22.66)
I think it's fair to say I don't quite get this pricing model.
Sara
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you kidding me? This was so amazing, I loved every minute of it. It's like Howl's Moving Castle + Bear, Otter and the Kid + The Sound of Music all wrapped up into its own truly unique and fucking heartwarming package! I am dead.
Silke
Jun 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OMG SO THIS IS REALLY A THING YASSS I CAN’T WAIT
Leo
Hello, I'm here for the queer and definitely not for the six dangerous children: a gnome, a sprite, a wyvern, an unidentifiable green blob, a were-Pomeranian, and the Antichrist, and the found family trope. Nope. Definitely not here for unidentifiable green blobs or found families.

TJ Klune disclosed the names of the children!
Sprite: Phee (girl)
Blob: Chauncey (boy-ish | I hope this kid uses they/them pronouns just because. And the little blob isn’t my favourite. Shut up.)
Gnome: Talia (girl who
Anniek
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mlm
This is exactly as fun as it looks. I had such a blast reading this, I thoroughly enjoyed every page. It's fresh and funny, and there's such a loveable cast of characters.

This book is about learning to live instead of exist, and about overcoming prejudices. It's also about found family, which is truly what TJ Klune does best.

One letdown was the (internalized) fatphobia that didn't really get addressed. There were so many negative remarks that the MC made about his body, and they were pretty hard
Josy
I have to admit the price for the ebook was quite shocking but I guess that was to be expected from a big publisher? Good thing I'm totally in love with the cover so that's why I pre-ordered the hardcover. Still a steep price but not that uncommon for a physical book. Not sure yet if I will buy the ebook as well.

Speaking of the cover, did you know that the artist built a model and photographed it? So awesome! Here you can have a look at the model complete with sky and everything:
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, read-2019, arcs
RTC closer to the publication date but just know.. it's a good one !!!
Martha
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
RTC but holy shit you guys. It's sentimental and weird and the antichrist is there and he's heartbreaking and it's just completely, utterly wonderful.

Thanks to NetGalley and Tor for the ARC.
Em
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, sweet, gentle, hopeful book, part Good Omens, part Harry Potter, part Miss Peregrine’s, part Gashlycrumb Tinies. It’s a gorgeous piece of uplifting wish fulfillment and it made me cry.
David
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I rescived an ARC of this from Netgally in exchange for an honest review!

Where do I even begin? Well, I think I have a new favorite book!
This story is so different from Klune's other books, but it was just as perfect!
It made me smile, laugh and cry all at the same time.
Such a magical story about a magical place, that feels so real when you read it.
You will love every single one of these characters... These children are the most amazing thing in the whole world, and you just want to adopt
The Artisan Geek
28/11/19
Thank you so much Tor/Forge for gifting me a copy of this book! Both the premise and cover are STUNNING! I can't wait to dive into it!!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come.
A beautifully written book full of hope and heart!
Flora ❀
Nov 11, 2019 marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-released
"Marsyas Island Orphanage, where six dangerous children reside: a gnome, a sprite, a wyvern, an unidentifiable green blob, a were-Pomeranian, and the Antichrist." eXCUSE ME WHAT?!

Imagine Yeontan as a were-pomeranian ... that would explain why he acts like he's a big dog sfjkdfgdg
Paula
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
RTC....OMG. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING.
Kate Thomas
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that this comes out on my birthday. I read it last night and finished it this morning, and for once I agree with all the blurbs. It is a kind book, it is very sweet, and it will definitely appeal to fans of Douglas Adams. It’ll be my spring staff pick at the bookstore for sure. I even came on to an amazon site to say so :)
Lisa
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers, YA readers, everyone
Recommended to Lisa by: ARC from publisher
I would give The House in the Cerulean Sea 10 stars if I could. Hands down the best book I've read in 2019! Well written, lovely characters, beautiful setting, an absolute delight to read. If I ever get to meet T.J. Klune, I will thank him repeatedly and give him a brass button. I very much look forward to handselling this book!
Molly Ringle
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fae, lgbtq
Aw, this story stole my heart!
Linus Baker has a dreary bureaucratic job in a rather Orwellian city, evaluating orphanages for magical youth. But his special assignment to an idyllic island changes it all: an island housing nobody except a charming orphanage master, his six unusual charges, and a spunky sprite. It turns out that even though one of the children is, if reports are to be believed, the Antichrist himself, they're all basically GOOD kids. (And they're all unique and delightful, but
Leah (Jane Speare)
ermergerd perfection review coming

When Linus Baker receives a mandatory promotion at work from Extremely Upper Management, the Department in Charge of Magical Youth, he is pulled from his monotonous, dreary life and sent to the seaside to audit the goings on for a rather mysterious and classified orphanage for peculiar youth. And that’s all he and his cat Calliope know. Linus channels some serious Arthur Dent...if he were sent into Moonrise Kingdom as a cross-narrative exchange program. He is a
Debbie Gascoyne
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley, 2019
This is a thoroughly delightful book and I enjoyed every word of it. It is slightly old-fashioned in tone - refreshingly so in the way it focusses on a single 40-year old viewpoint character, far from the current vogue for multiple POV, young narrators - but in a good way, in the sense that this is one of those gentle, almost domestic, fantasies that it seems no one writes any more. I was sold by Linus, the shy, lonely, middle-aged hero, and stayed for the delightful assortment of wild children ...more
Alexandra Santos
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't envy the job of marketers having to try and describe this sweet little book; it's got dry humour and an adult main character (planting it in adult fantasy), but the subject matter (an "orphanage" on a idyllic island, populated by children that are each some kind of magical being) means it's also quite light and gentle, with a simple message about the importance of family and love. At certain points, I felt like it could even be a young adult/middle grade book, but then there would be a ...more
McCutsinger
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to get this book while on vacation, so I had long uninterrupted reading times. This book is both entertaining and heartwarming. The characters are beyond endearing - I wanted to give the protagonist a noogie at the beginning of the book, and by the end wanted to cheer him. While some may find the story predictable or heavy handed at times, I loved the characters too much to care. And, given the current environment, a bit of heavy handedness may be called for anyway. ...more
Sandy
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just a wonderful, heartwarming story. I fell in love with the characters and feel like they will stay with me for a long time.
Natalie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I will scream to the heavens about this book until I die
Mimi
I'm not usually a fan of cutesy, whimsical book covers, but there's something about this one that I can't help but be drawn to.
Lauren
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am deceased.
Danielle Chambers
This book is so good! Full review to come.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • American Dirt
  • Highfire
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • The Glass Hotel
  • Reverie
  • Malus Domestica (Malus Domestica, #1)
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Seep
  • The Deep
  • Unnatural Magic
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Agnes at the End of the World
  • Docile
  • Blood Countess
When TJ Klune was eight, he picked up a pen and paper and began to write his first story (which turned out to be his own sweeping epic version of the video game Super Metroid—he didn’t think the game ended very well and wanted to offer his own take on it. He never heard back from the video game company, much to his chagrin). Now, over two decades later, the cast of characters in his head have only ...more