Start by marking “The House in the Cerulean Sea” as Want to Read:
The House in the Cerulean Sea

The House in the Cerulean Sea

A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret.

Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a devious cat and his old records. As a Case Worker at the Department in Charge Of Magical Youth, he spends his days overseeing the well-being of children in government-sanctioned orphanages.

When Linus is unexpectedly summoned by Extremely
Published March 17th 2020 by Tor Books

Start your review of The House in the Cerulean Sea
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Day #6 of social distancing: I binge read this book and it was the best therapy session Ive ever had. ...more
T.J.
Sep 22, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
At last, at long last, my first book with Tor has released!

The House in the Cerulean Sea is a love letter to those who should be allowed to feel small and cared for when the world seems dark. Today, March 17, is a scary time. And it might get a little worse before it gets better. But I promise you it will. This bookthis funny little bookis my way of helping you see sunlight through all the dark clouds. I hope youre ready, because youre about to go on an adventure you wont expect.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
An extraordinary treat for both T.J. Klune fans and those new to his writing, The House in the Cerulean Sea is a heart-warming, wholesome, diverse, ridiculous, and completely lovable fantasy story.

As a long-time T.J. Klune fan, as I'm sure many of you are, I know you are asking yourself what this book will be like now that T.J. Klune is publishing with the big boys. I'm very happy to report that the book read just like I was expecting it to, which means tight writing, romance (!), queer
Shaun Hutchinson
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a special book that I loved immensely. Sometimes you find a book right when you need it, and I needed this book. It's endearing and heartfelt and just wonderful.
Fran
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For seventeen years, Linus Baker had been a caseworker for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth [DICOMY]. His job as a mid-management bureaucrat was to investigate government sanctioned orphanages housing magical children and write detailed reports on the safety of the children. Are they safe from each other and themselves? Is an orphanage providing the requisite services as outlined in the Rules & Regulations of DICOMY?

Linus Baker lived in a tiny house with his moody cat, Calliope.
Hollis
This book was a delightfully sweet and lovely cup of heartbreak, melancholy, and wonder. Which sounds almost awful, or hella sad, and probably contradicts the vibe the cover is putting out, but I don't know how else to describe all the things this made me feel.

There is whimsy and wonder in this world where magical people exists, there's melancholy in the reality that children who demonstrate these abilities are sequestered in orphanages and regulated schools or programs, monitored by the
amy ☂︎
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs, buddy-read, 2020
Torn between wanting this book all to myself & wanting to scream "I LOVE THIS BOOK FURIOUSLY" at the top of my lungs. This gentle thing healed my entire fragile soul. RTC but for now: PLEASE please please read this. But, like, be silent about it. Its only for you and i, ok?? ...more
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This sounds super queer and wild as hell and boy if that doesn't sum up my entire taste in books I don't know what does
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
This book was sweetness, and cuteness and, kindness. It was wonderful, and nothing like I expected. I was expecting something more like The Bones Beneath My Skin, but the two are hardly similar at all. If I was given this book to read without knowing the author and had to guess, I never would have guessed TJ Klune. It didnt feel like his usual books. And if I had to compare it to one of his other books, I would have to say Tales from Verania, at a stretch. It is not as explicitly sexual, this ...more
Amazonaute
Feb 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The exercise of an honest review is an interesting one. Generally on goodreads I write frank reviews to vent or to remind myself of my thoughts for later. I tend to pick my reading for recreational purposes. That meshes well when I get a netgalley book to review which I would normally read anyway.

This book I asked for on the off chance that Id like it, as some Klunes are desert island reads for me. Having quickly ascertained that this book was awful, I had to think a bit about what to do. If I
Christy
Mar 22, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF @15%

Not the books fault... I just can't focus on this and I'm having trouble connecting/following it. I have the audio so I'll most likely pick it up later since I love Klune's writing!
Sara
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you kidding me? This was so amazing, I loved every minute of it. It's like Howl's Moving Castle + Bear, Otter and the Kid + The Sound of Music all wrapped up into its own truly unique and fucking heartwarming package! I am dead.
Judy
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful, whimsical story with a dark streak running through it. The Department in Charge of Magical Youth (DICOMY) exists to regulate orphanages in charge of magical children. Linus Baker is an employee there and has been for many years. He visits the orphanages and makes sure children are taken care of and that those in charge are following all the regulations of DICOMY.

Linus is summoned for a special task by Extremely Upper Management. He is to go to an island orphanage where some
Steven
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley and Tor for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

I've heard a lot of good things about TJ Klune. As a gay man, I am constantly looking for gay writers to support, especially gay men writers. Most of the authors who write MM romance are females, often straight females, so I try to support "my peeps" when I can. TJ Klune has been on my radar for a year or so now, but I hadn't had a chance to pick up one of his books. I saw this one and thought it
Linden
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This magical novel is amazing, captivating in the way I remember being entranced the first time I read a Harry Potter story--I could not put it down. Linus is a caseworker who is responsible for checking out orphanages where magical youth of various talents are housed. He has been at the job for 17 years, and has a nasty boss, nasty co-workers, and a nasty neighbor. One day he is summoned by Extremely Upper Management and given an odd assignment--go to one of the orphanages where 6 children (who ...more
Eugenia
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book!!
This book was many things: an urban fantasy, a Big-Brotheriesque tale, a love story.
But what shone through those tropes was what the book was about: tolerance, acceptance, and inclusion.
Tolerance of others, in all their forms, despite their otherness.
Inclusion because to have someone in your life often leads to...
Acceptance...because tolerating and inclusion of what's right doesn't mean much without accepting that different is OK, that different is not scary, that different is what
Jennifer Kyle
5 Magical Stars ⭐

I'm afraid I don't have magic."
"You do, Mr. Baker. Arthur told me that there can be magic in the ordinary.

There are so many aspects of this story I adored. First and foremost, the children are all extraordinarily wonderful! The big picture of acceptance and purpose was well crafted as was the color added to our bland hero, Linus Bakers life by the end of the book. This is definitely a favorite of the year read for me!!

I believe in Gnomes, Bellhops, Lucy, Sprites

description
CrabbyPatty
This ... THIS is the book that absolutely requires a time machine so you can go back in time and once again have the unimagineable joy of reading it again for the very first time.

Linus Baker works at DICOMY (Department in Charge of Magical Youth) and inspects the orphanages where magical children are housed across the country. When Linus is called before Extremely Upper Management and sent to investigate a very special orphanage on a secluded island, his life changes in ways he never could have
Josy
Sep 28, 2019 is currently reading it
The AMAZING artist Mariana Avilez (find her on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Ko-Fi, and Tumblr) crafted some truly beautiful avatars of the children for all of you Klunatics out there...

The very dapper Chauncey, looking dashing as always with his bellhop attire.

Lucy, being the very innocent person that he is and in no way ever thinking about murder. Ever. *side eyes*

Last but not least, Talia, ready to work on her garden! Do we have any volunteers to help?

Dennis
A cute and fun science-fiction novel that is reminiscent of the Netflix show, The Umbrella Academy. At times, this book battled on the verge of ridiculousness, but overall it is a fun fantasy novel that fans of the genre will enjoy.
Melissa
March 2020 audio review
Many thanks to my library for adding this audio to their collection. I enjoyed this SO much! Highly recommend the audio; narration was spot on and adorable! I loved all the voices for the children.And adults. Each was unique and perfect. All the stars!!!I

And, there is a note at the end, it's quick about publication and rights, etc. Travis Klune?!?!

February 2020 ebook review
A complimentary copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Lisazj1
My first reaction when finishing this book was to immediately go and buy the hardcover, because this needs to go on my shelf so I can look at it. Not only because of the gorgeous cover, but so if my spirits need a lift, I can look at it for that too.

I absolutely loved this. I say that about quite a lot of my favorites, and God knows I have many favorites. These characters, this story, found a special place in my heart. When I started it, I wasn't sure what to expect. How many stories have been
amazing 😭 RTC
________________________________

So so so excited to read this! I've been a fan of TJ for years and can't wait to support him now that he's being published with such a big publisher !

Buddy reading with Ash!
Leo
Hello, I'm here for the queer and definitely not for the six dangerous children: a gnome, a sprite, a wyvern, an unidentifiable green blob, a were-Pomeranian, and the Antichrist, and the found family trope. Nope. Definitely not here for unidentifiable green blobs or found families.

TJ Klune disclosed the names of the children!
Sprite: Phee (girl)
Blob: Chauncey (boy-ish | I hope this kid uses they/them pronouns just because. And the little blob isnt my favourite. Shut up.)
Gnome: Talia (girl who
Holly (The Grimdragon)
GAH!!

Review to come!
BWT (Belen)
I love TJ Klune's writing, the way he draws out the characters in a way that truly makes the reader feel as though they know them. I loved Linus and Arthur and Chauncey and Lucy so much! This is such a surprisingly sweet story as well, especially when you consider the Antichrist plays a prominent role, but Klune pulls it off, both the sweetness and the humor well, and massively well done at that.

I absolutely loved this. I loved this so much I stayed up until midnight to finish, which is a
Anniek
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mlm
This is exactly as fun as it looks. I had such a blast reading this, I thoroughly enjoyed every page. It's fresh and funny, and there's such a loveable cast of characters.

This book is about learning to live instead of exist, and about overcoming prejudices. It's also about found family, which is truly what TJ Klune does best.

One letdown was the (internalized) fatphobia that didn't really get addressed. There were so many negative remarks that the MC made about his body, and they were pretty hard
Silke
Jun 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OMG SO THIS IS REALLY A THING YASSS I CANT WAIT ...more
Adam
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
TJ Klunes The House on the Cerulean Sea is a beautiful story. Not in an attractive or alluring sense, although those adjectives, too, are accurate, but in the way that it explores true beauty in the most unlikely of places. Klune explores the fear and prejudice that bubbles at the surface of society but delivers a message of hope and unity that people can change if you start with the few.

Linus Baker is a wallflower, barely noticed or respected by anyone. He is stodgy, a bit overweight, and
Rach
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We start this book with Linus who is a caseworker for DICOMY (Department in Charge of Magical Youth). His job involves inspecting orphanages where magical children live. Linus lives with his cat Calliope (who is quite a character). Linus has been called for by the Extremely Upper Management for a meeting which he finds out he is being sent to a secluded island to a very special orphanage and meets the various characters in the book.

I loved all the characters in the book which include Mr. Arthur
When TJ Klune was eight, he picked up a pen and paper and began to write his first story (which turned out to be his own sweeping epic version of the video game Super Metroidhe didnt think the game ended very well and wanted to offer his own take on it. He never heard back from the video game company, much to his chagrin). Now, over two decades later, the cast of characters in his head have only ...more

• Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Wolf Found (The Wolves of Kismet, #2)
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes #1)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • More Than Life
  • Saving Rafe (Lords of Discord #2)
  • Sin Eater
  • Cancer Ships Aquarius (Signs of Love, #5)
  • The Prince and His Captivating Carpenter (Paranormal Princes, #2)
  • Docile
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Lab Partners
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Wren and Oak (The Rowan Harbor Cycle #9)
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)