Start by marking “Oona Out of Order: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Oona Out of Order: A N...

Margarita Montimore

Oona Out of Order: A Novel

Time Traveler’s Wife meets Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in a wondrous novel exploring the burdens of time, the endurance of love, and the timelessness of family.

Just because life might be out of order, doesn’t mean it’s broken.

It’s new years eve 1982, and Oona Lockhart has her whole life before her. At the stroke of midnight she will turn n
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by Flatiron Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore
    Oona Out of Order: A Novel
    Release date: Feb 25, 2020
    Just because life may be out of order, doesn’t mean it’s broken.

It’s New Year ’s Eve 1982, and Oona Lockhart has her whole life before her

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 937 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 11 - Nov 20, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Oona Out of Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oona Out of Order

Start your review of Oona Out of Order: A Novel
    amanda
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Somebody once asked me that if I had the chance would I ever change my past? The good, the bad, the downright painful?

I thought about it, really thought because a lot has happened and I’ve been through a lot but truthfully I don’t think I would change anything. I am who I am because my experiences have made me who I am and although life is terrible at times (and now) it doesn’t mean it always will be. I’m not saying that I’m stronger or anything for what I’ve been through. I’m just m
    Ema
    Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favourites
    ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK
    THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I'VE READ ALL YEAR
    (one of three, at least. I have only said this about three books and it's almost October, so. Take me with a grain of salt, but ONLY ONE grain of salt because I'm TELLING you, this BOOK!)

This is very high concept, and I'm a huge sucker for high concept, especially ones like this. I, once again, did not read the blurb or any copy before diving into this one and it was a great decision. I'll have to evaluate in a fe
    Margo
    Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a great book! I made my daughter wait to eat dinner so I could finish!! <3
    Cari
    Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I was fortunate to receive a very early copy of this novel from Flatiron Books. Out in February 2020. I absolutely loved this book - the story of Oona, a woman who wakes up on her birthday every year and finds herself in a different part of her life. As she flies back and forth in time, she discovers her life - well, out of order. It's a fascinating puzzle, a feeling I haven't had since The Time Traveler's Wife - and yet while that book was a love story, this one is a true character study, of Oo ...more
    Susie Wang
    Just got the manuscript today, and read the begining.

It's super promising! I'm so excited to read the rest.
    Kim Richardson
    Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is a fascinating and beautifully crafted tale which explores identity and relationships in one woman’s unpredictable and radically-changing world. Unputdownable and uplifting, I adored Oona Out of Order!!
    readingmypages
    Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    “Oona stopped trusting the mirror years ago. After all, it told only a sliver of the story...”

It’s New Year’s Eve 1982, and Oona Lockhart has her whole life before her. At the stroke of midnight she will turn nineteen, and the year ahead promises to be one of consequence. Should she go to London to study economics, or follow her heart and remain at home to play in a band with her boyfriend? As the countdown to the New Year begins, Oona faints, and awakens in her 51 year old body thir
    Michelle
    Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I absolutely loved this!!

The time-hops through different decades in NYC were my favorite thing, and I loved Oona so much and wished the book was about 200 pages longer so I could continue following her on her adventures through time.

A mix of romance and drama and some heart wrenching stuff, this book has a little bit of everything.

Def recommend for your next book club read.

Thanks to NetGalley and Flatiron Books for the ARC!
    Cecilia
    Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book would lend itself to good discussions for book groups. And like good stories, each chapter reveals new information about the characters.
    It also reminded me of a bit of Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity. Lots of musical references. Most interesting is the evolution of Oona, spotlighting how we all struggle to change what we cannot accept, and to accept what we cannot change.
    Angela
    Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Really, this book is fantastic. Inventive story about a young woman who jumps in time from year to year - sometimes she is 53, sometimes 20, but internally she is her chronological age. There are constants in her life, but she does not remember people or events unless she has physically lived in that year. Events that one remembers now as history - 9/11, Prince's death - are startling revelations.
    Can you change the future if you know what is coming, or by acting do you solidify events? A story
    Lauren
    I am so excited to read this! Thank you for the ARC, Flatiron. 🙏🥰
    Dustin
    Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was a fun romp through nostalgia but also an interesting philosophical exploration of free will and fate.
    Lisa Huang
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This was such a lovely and enjoyable read. Vibrant characters, nostalgic settings, and philosophical and existential questions. It is extremely relatable and fun and makes you feel very hopeful inside. I recommend all to read this.
    Rachel Watkins
    OONA OUT OF ORDER is a work of fiction that genuinely encouraged me to reflect upon my own mortality and the trajectory of my life. Oona wakes up on her birthday every year in a different part of her life. The difficulty this imposes is fascinating. Pop culture and music is ever present, as Oona is a musician and chapter titles are taken from song titles or lyrics. What would it be to live your life out of order? To instinctively want to second guess and redo what you saw as failures? At the hea ...more
    Sage
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I have SO MUCH LOVE for this book, and for Oona. I didn’t expect to love it as much as I did, and I was sad that it ended (even though it was PERFECT) because I would happily and gladly have read every single minute and leap and adventure of Oona’s life!

I love her relationship with Madeleine and with Kenzie (and I honestly did NOT SEE that plot twist coming, holy holy shit!!!!! But it honestly makes sense) and even though I wanted to see more of both of them, everything in the book w
    Cat
    Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Oona Out of Order was an incredible, heart warming surprise, one that I do not regret staying up late to finish all in one go. Oona turns 19 and ends up years in the future in her 52 year old body and life, and then the next year she jumps to another, then another. Her mind aging normally, her body differently. She's forced to realize that nothing is in her control, and just because she knows what's to come, it doesn't mean that she can change it. It's terrifying, and full of hope at the same ti ...more
    Olivia (jonesingforbooks) Jones
    I loved this book! Definitely one of my favorites this year. It is such a unique story and the storytelling handled it so well! I am the type of person who loves to be shocked by a book. And every time I tried to guess what would happen next I was either completely wrong or only a small bit correct. I know a book is good when it makes me feel emotions. I was sad when Oona was sad and I was angry with Oona and at Oona. I can't remember the last time a book made me angry. I'm a big crier so no sur ...more
    Lorri Steinbacher
    In general I avoid time-travel books, but I had been hearing buzz about this one so I figured I'd try it. It was not for me, mainly because of the time travel and the expository way you have to account for the time periods feels self-conscious to me (i.e. name dropping current bands or fashion).

The story was very good and I would highly recommend the book to people who enjoy time-travel fiction.
    I am very much in the minority of reviewers in that I was unimpressed by this book. The concept was interesting, but I quite disliked all the characters.

I received an ARC from NetGalley. The book will be released on February 25, 2020.
    Deirdre Rosenberg
    Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    I have read 150 books this year and this one is the very best on that list. I loved this novel so, so much. It is a few genres in a perfectly written package. It’s funny, interesting and emotional. It touched me in a way that most books do not. I am impressed and in love.
    Pat
    Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: misc-fiction
    The club has everything: Time travel, the Velvet Underground, RuPaul...the writing starts off a little obvious but the era-jumping clever structure and multiplicity of cultural touchstones adds up to an unexpectedly poignant read.
    Jenn Adams
    Received an eARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review

Review to follow
    Kat
    Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    3.5
    Faith
    Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    "She watched the clock and prayed she'd been told the truth about her strange circumstances, prayed her blind optimism wouldn't prove fruitless. She vowed not to be ruled by nostalgia and grief this year. Wherever and whenever she ended up next, she'd make the most of it."

Ever have a book show up in your life exactly when you need it? That's what happened to me with OONA OUT OF ORDER, the story of a young woman who jumps to different years of her life every year on her birthday start
    Nicole Scola
    Bridget
    Jul 03, 2019
    Samantha
    Nov 09, 2019
    Margarita Montimore received a BFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College and worked for over a decade in publishing and social media before she decided to focus on the writing dream full-time. She's blogged for Marvel, Google, Quirk Books, and XOJane.com. When not writing, she freelances as a book coach and editor.

Margarita writes upmarket/literary fiction that tends to be left of center and f