Start by marking “Oona Out of Order” as Want to Read:
Oona Out of Order

Oona Out of Order

Just because life may be out of order, doesn’t mean it’s broken.

It’s New Year’s Eve 1982, and Oona Lockhart has her whole life before her. At the stroke of midnight she will turn nineteen, and the year ahead promises to be one of consequence. Should she go to London to study economics, or remain at home in Brooklyn to pursue her passion for music and be with her boyfriend?
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Oona Out of Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oona Out of Order

Start your review of Oona Out of Order
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh boy, WTH I just finished! My head should stop spinning! What’s that smell? Did I burn the dinner again? Oh, no I haven’t cooked anything for 2 years. There is an alarm sensing my footsteps as I take only one step in the kitchen. So it can’t be!

What a minute! This is coming from my brain cells! They’re burning! I overused them. What a mind bending, innovative, unconventional, complex reading I had! Wow! After reading this, I got a NewYearsEvephobia!

Imagine yourself as nineteen years old (I
Ema
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK
THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I'VE READ ALL YEAR
(one of three, at least. I have only said this about three books and it's almost October, so. Take me with a grain of salt, but ONLY ONE grain of salt because I'm TELLING you, this BOOK!)

This is very high concept, and I'm a huge sucker for high concept, especially ones like this. I, once again, did not read the blurb or any copy before diving into this one and it was a great decision. I'll have to evaluate in a few days and see if I'm
amanda
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Somebody once asked me that if I had the chance would I ever change my past? The good, the bad, the downright painful?

I thought about it, really thought because a lot has happened and I’ve been through a lot but truthfully I don’t think I would change anything. I am who I am because my experiences have made me who I am and although life is terrible at times (and now) it doesn’t mean it always will be. I’m not saying that I’m stronger or anything for what I’ve been through. I’m just me.

Now if you
Kim Richardson
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating and beautifully crafted tale which explores identity and relationships in one woman’s unpredictable and radically-changing world. Unputdownable and uplifting, I adored Oona Out of Order!!
Cari
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive a very early copy of this novel from Flatiron Books. Out in February 2020. I absolutely loved this book - the story of Oona, a woman who wakes up on her birthday every year and finds herself in a different part of her life. As she flies back and forth in time, she discovers her life - well, out of order. It's a fascinating puzzle, a feeling I haven't had since The Time Traveler's Wife - and yet while that book was a love story, this one is a true character study, of ...more
Margo
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I made my daughter wait to eat dinner so I could finish!! <3
Nicole Meyer
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I initially gave this 4 stars, but changed it to 5 after I couldn't stop thinking about it. At the stroke of midnight on each New Year's, which is also Oona's birthday, she starts a new year, but not like everybody else. She "leaps" to different ages, but not in chronological order. This is a really unique concept for me, and I don't think I've ever read something quite like it. Since you are learning about Oona's life out of order with her, it's impossible to predict what will happen next. It ...more
Susie Wang
Just got the manuscript today, and read the begining.

It's super promising! I'm so excited to read the rest.
Lolly K Dandeneau
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'Each year her body was hers, but her mind was out of sync with her reflection. Always playing catch-up, trying to rearrange the scrambled pieces of her life.'

Oona Lockhart is out of order, at least according to the timeline of her entire life. It begins at a party in Brooklyn on New Year’s Eve, on the precipice of turning nineteen and making a big decision that is guaranteed to alter her future. She is struggling with her heart and mind. Oona
Nicholl M
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received Oona Out of Order as an ARC from Flat Iron Books and I am overwhelmingly pleased to give my honest review of this book.

Oona, at 18, has two life paths laid before her. She isn't sure what she will do. As it turns out, Oona doesn't get to choose. Time, acting as an entity, changes everything and challenges Oona to embrace life in a non linear, heart breaking and awe inspiring way.

You ever look back at yourself from 10 years ago and think "Who was she? If that version of me knew the me
Darla
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ooooh, Oona! This may be one of the most popular books of 2020. It has been quite a ride and I am so happy I had the privilege of finishing on the very day when Oona anticipates her next leap. This time-jumping debut novel turned my brain into a pretzel. I can't wait for my bookish friends to catch up so we can discuss the book. An overarching theme of time travel gives Oona the bittersweet knowledge of a past she has skipped and a future she is not yet ready for. As we leap with Oona we have a ...more
Alison
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. —a little bit Back to the Future-esque meets Midnight in Paris. Loved this and I flew through it.
Angela
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really, this book is fantastic. Inventive story about a young woman who jumps in time from year to year - sometimes she is 53, sometimes 20, but internally she is her chronological age. There are constants in her life, but she does not remember people or events unless she has physically lived in that year. Events that one remembers now as history - 9/11, Prince's death - are startling revelations.
Can you change the future if you know what is coming, or by acting do you solidify events? A story
Lisa Huang
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a lovely and enjoyable read. Vibrant characters, nostalgic settings, and philosophical and existential questions. It is extremely relatable and fun and makes you feel very hopeful inside. I recommend all to read this.
Caryn
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was an utter delight. I am someone who cannot stand when movies go back in time and repeat themselves (cough, Groundhog Day, cough) but this was done so well and in a way that still allowed the characters to develop and grow, even as we moved backward.

Reading this felt like I was watching a movie play out in a screen right in front of me, which only tells me how amazing this would look on film.

Each night I couldn’t wait to get back to see where Oona ended up next. I loved the
Heather McC
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oona is blessed (or cursed) each New Year's Day with the ability to leap from year to the next; with no rhyme or reason, Oona doesn't know if she will be revisiting the past or venturing into the future from year to year. With only a set of letters, and a small family circle to guide her, Oona fights to make the most of her situation, eventually discovering that meddling will not change destiny, what happens will happen.
Latkins
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t sure I was ready for another time-leap book, along the lines of The Time Traveler’s Wife or The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, but it turns out I was! Margarita Montimore brings something new to the concept of time travel in this novel. New Yorker Oona Lockhart finds herself living each year of her adult life out of order. Born on New Year’s Day, she goes from being 19 at the end of 1982 to 2015, when she’s 51. There she’s greeted by a stranger, called Kenzie, who explains her ...more
Sharon
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trippy, inventive, and more moving than I expected, this unconventional tale is not to be missed.

This ARC was provided by Flatiron/Macmillan in exchange for an honest review.
Sage
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have SO MUCH LOVE for this book, and for Oona. I didn’t expect to love it as much as I did, and I was sad that it ended (even though it was PERFECT) because I would happily and gladly have read every single minute and leap and adventure of Oona’s life!

I love her relationship with Madeleine and with Kenzie (and I honestly did NOT SEE that plot twist coming, holy holy shit!!!!! But it honestly makes sense) and even though I wanted to see more of both of them, everything in the book was perfect.
readingmypages
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Oona stopped trusting the mirror years ago. After all, it told only a sliver of the story...”

It’s New Year’s Eve 1982, and Oona Lockhart has her whole life before her. At the stroke of midnight she will turn nineteen, and the year ahead promises to be one of consequence. Should she go to London to study economics, or follow her heart and remain at home to play in a band with her boyfriend? As the countdown to the New Year begins, Oona faints, and awakens in her 51 year old body thirty-two years
Deirdre Rosenberg
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read 150 books this year and this one is the very best on that list. I loved this novel so, so much. It is a few genres in a perfectly written package. It’s funny, interesting and emotional. It touched me in a way that most books do not. I am impressed and in love.
Michelle
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this!!

The time-hops through different decades in NYC were my favorite thing, and I loved Oona so much and wished the book was about 200 pages longer so I could continue following her on her adventures through time.

A mix of romance and drama and some heart wrenching stuff, this book has a little bit of everything.

Def recommend for your next book club read.

Thanks to NetGalley and Flatiron Books for the ARC!
Cecilia
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book would lend itself to good discussions for book groups. And like good stories, each chapter reveals new information about the characters.
It also reminded me of a bit of Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity. Lots of musical references. Most interesting is the evolution of Oona, spotlighting how we all struggle to change what we cannot accept, and to accept what we cannot change.
Kristi
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Question: If you could jump to any age and spend a year there, would you? What age would you choose?

“The mirror exposed time’s passage, yes, but eclipsed her heart’s true mileage. The lined face, the extra pounds, the hair chemically treated to hide the its gray. Each year the body was hers, but her mind was out of sync with her reflection. Always playing catch-up, trying to re-arrange the scrambled pieces of her life.”

Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore takes the concept of leaping into a
Jenn Knight
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“All I can do is make the most of whatever age I am. It’s not Iike you have a choice, right?” (Pg. 288).

It’s 1982, New Year’s Eve and Oona Lockhart’s mind is muddled as her 19th birthday (shoutout to all the New Year’s Day babies!) and a new year approaches. Should she begin 1983 with the love of her life Dale, touring with their struggling ‘basement’ band or should she follow her friend and study abroad in London (once in a lifetime opportunity, hello??)?

Oona won’t have time to decide;
Kyra Johnson
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
Thank you @flatiron_books for the gifted book!

The year is 1982, it’s New Years Eve and Oona Lockhart is bringing in the New Year and her nineteenth birthday surrounded by her friends and beloved boyfriend. With a promising future ahead of her, Oona worries about making the right decisions as the countdown to midnight begins. Before she knows it, Oona wakes up thirty-two years in the future in her middle aged body. Thanks to letters she has left for her future/past self, Oona discovers that with
Katie Katieneedsabiggerbookshelf
Its New Years Eve and Oona is about to turn 20. The clock strikes midnight and Oona is suddenly….51? This is when Oona finds out that she lives her life out of order. Every New Years at the stroke of midnight much like the rest of the world, Oona moves into a new year. Except for Oona, it’s not the next year. She could go from 20 to 51, to 30, and so on and so forth. Though she is older on the outside, Oona is still young at heart and learning to navigate her new normal.

OMG this book. I’ve
Ellen
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A unique approach to time travel, Oona’s birthday is New Years Day, and every New Year’s Eve she wakes up to a new year of her life. Not chronological, which makes it more interesting, and contributes to her understanding of what life is about, through boyfriends, lovers, but mainly through the relationship with her Mother. Well written and appealing, I recommend this book. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Chris Markley
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This story of learning to live a life unexpected left me wanting more. More of Oona and her family as she experiences her life out of order. Oona wakes up as a much older self while inside she still feels 19. Every birthday finds her waking up at an unexpected age and she has to figure out how to live and who to trust and include in her life. A story of life and living your best life.

Thanks to the publisher for providing an ARC for my honest review.
Glenda Nelms
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Make your life more about letting in the good things than preventing the bad things.” Oona out of order is about a woman named Oona Lockhart who wakes up in a different part of her life. As she travels back and forth in time, she discovers her life is eventually out of order. Explores identity and relationships in one woman’s unpredictably changing world. It’s fascinating and heartfelt novel. The lesson that we can take away from this book is enjoy life to the fullest and let the people in our ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The Glass Hotel
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
After receiving a BFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College, Margarita Montimore worked for over a decade in publishing and social media before deciding to focus on the writing dream full-time. She lives in New Jersey with her husband and dog.

Margarita writes upmarket/literary fiction that tends to be left of center and flirt with multiple genres. She loves all things dark, strange, and