Start by marking “Oona Out of Order: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Oona Out of Order: A Novel

Oona Out of Order: A Novel

Just because life may be out of order, doesn’t mean it’s broken.

It’s New Year’s Eve 1982, and Oona Lockhart has her whole life before her. At the stroke of midnight she will turn nineteen, and the year ahead promises to be one of consequence. Should she go to London to study economics, or remain at home in Brooklyn to pursue her passion for music and be with her boyfriend?
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Oona Out of Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oona Out of Order

Start your review of Oona Out of Order: A Novel
Ema
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK
THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I'VE READ ALL YEAR
(one of three, at least. I have only said this about three books and it's almost October, so. Take me with a grain of salt, but ONLY ONE grain of salt because I'm TELLING you, this BOOK!)

This is very high concept, and I'm a huge sucker for high concept, especially ones like this. I, once again, did not read the blurb or any copy before diving into this one and it was a great decision. I'll have to evaluate in a few days and see if I'm
amanda
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Somebody once asked me that if I had the chance would I ever change my past? The good, the bad, the downright painful?

I thought about it, really thought because a lot has happened and I’ve been through a lot but truthfully I don’t think I would change anything. I am who I am because my experiences have made me who I am and although life is terrible at times (and now) it doesn’t mean it always will be. I’m not saying that I’m stronger or anything for what I’ve been through. I’m just me.

Now if you
Cari
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive a very early copy of this novel from Flatiron Books. Out in February 2020. I absolutely loved this book - the story of Oona, a woman who wakes up on her birthday every year and finds herself in a different part of her life. As she flies back and forth in time, she discovers her life - well, out of order. It's a fascinating puzzle, a feeling I haven't had since The Time Traveler's Wife - and yet while that book was a love story, this one is a true character study, of ...more
Margo
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I made my daughter wait to eat dinner so I could finish!! <3
Kim Richardson
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating and beautifully crafted tale which explores identity and relationships in one woman’s unpredictable and radically-changing world. Unputdownable and uplifting, I adored Oona Out of Order!!
Susie Wang
Just got the manuscript today, and read the begining.

It's super promising! I'm so excited to read the rest.
Sage
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have SO MUCH LOVE for this book, and for Oona. I didn’t expect to love it as much as I did, and I was sad that it ended (even though it was PERFECT) because I would happily and gladly have read every single minute and leap and adventure of Oona’s life!

I love her relationship with Madeleine and with Kenzie (and I honestly did NOT SEE that plot twist coming, holy holy shit!!!!! But it honestly makes sense) and even though I wanted to see more of both of them, everything in the book was perfect.
readingmypages
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Oona stopped trusting the mirror years ago. After all, it told only a sliver of the story...”

It’s New Year’s Eve 1982, and Oona Lockhart has her whole life before her. At the stroke of midnight she will turn nineteen, and the year ahead promises to be one of consequence. Should she go to London to study economics, or follow her heart and remain at home to play in a band with her boyfriend? As the countdown to the New Year begins, Oona faints, and awakens in her 51 year old body thirty-two years
Michelle
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this!!

The time-hops through different decades in NYC were my favorite thing, and I loved Oona so much and wished the book was about 200 pages longer so I could continue following her on her adventures through time.

A mix of romance and drama and some heart wrenching stuff, this book has a little bit of everything.

Def recommend for your next book club read.

Thanks to NetGalley and Flatiron Books for the ARC!
Cecilia
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book would lend itself to good discussions for book groups. And like good stories, each chapter reveals new information about the characters.
It also reminded me of a bit of Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity. Lots of musical references. Most interesting is the evolution of Oona, spotlighting how we all struggle to change what we cannot accept, and to accept what we cannot change.
Angela
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really, this book is fantastic. Inventive story about a young woman who jumps in time from year to year - sometimes she is 53, sometimes 20, but internally she is her chronological age. There are constants in her life, but she does not remember people or events unless she has physically lived in that year. Events that one remembers now as history - 9/11, Prince's death - are startling revelations.
Can you change the future if you know what is coming, or by acting do you solidify events? A story
Lauren
I am so excited to read this! Thank you for the ARC, Flatiron. ...more
Dustin
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun romp through nostalgia but also an interesting philosophical exploration of free will and fate.
Lisa Huang
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a lovely and enjoyable read. Vibrant characters, nostalgic settings, and philosophical and existential questions. It is extremely relatable and fun and makes you feel very hopeful inside. I recommend all to read this.
Deirdre Rosenberg
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I have read 150 books this year and this one is the very best on that list. I loved this novel so, so much. It is a few genres in a perfectly written package. It’s funny, interesting and emotional. It touched me in a way that most books do not. I am impressed and in love.
Rachel Watkins
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OONA OUT OF ORDER is a work of fiction that genuinely encouraged me to reflect upon my own mortality and the trajectory of my life. Oona wakes up on her birthday every year in a different part of her life. The difficulty this imposes is fascinating. Pop culture and music is ever present, as Oona is a musician and chapter titles are taken from song titles or lyrics. What would it be to live your life out of order? To instinctively want to second guess and redo what you saw as failures? At the ...more
Kavanand (Reading for Two)
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
Oona Lockhart faints on her 19th birthday and wakes up 32 years later in her 51-year-old body. She's understandably freaked out, but she's greeted by a man who says he's her personal assistant and friend Kenzie. He explains that she's a time traveler of a very unique sort: Every year on her birthday, she faints and wakes up in a different year of her life. It can be any year she's never lived before, and she has no way to control it or decide which year it will be.

And so, Oona experiences her
Hillary
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oona Out Of Order is the story of a woman who finds herself displaced in time.

It’s what I like to call a “domestic time travel” story in the vein of The Time Traveler’s Wife where the time travel is biological and inexplicable, set in a familiar world. Oona’s time travel works mysteriously – at the end of each year, she’s thrust into another random year of her life, sometimes moving forward and sometimes backward, while constantly playing guessing games and engaging in power struggles with her
Cat
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oona Out of Order was an incredible, heart warming surprise, one that I do not regret staying up late to finish all in one go. Oona turns 19 and ends up years in the future in her 52 year old body and life, and then the next year she jumps to another, then another. Her mind aging normally, her body differently. She's forced to realize that nothing is in her control, and just because she knows what's to come, it doesn't mean that she can change it. It's terrifying, and full of hope at the same ...more
Olivia (jonesingforbooks) Jones
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I loved this book! Definitely one of my favorites this year. It is such a unique story and the storytelling handled it so well! I am the type of person who loves to be shocked by a book. And every time I tried to guess what would happen next I was either completely wrong or only a small bit correct. I know a book is good when it makes me feel emotions. I was sad when Oona was sad and I was angry with Oona and at Oona. I can't remember the last time a book made me angry. I'm a big crier so no ...more
Jenn Adams
Received an eARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review

I was apprehensive going into this book because I was prepared for it to be full of distracting plotholes resulting from the time travel. Now, I'm not going to say this was flawlessly done, but I can say that if there were any issues I didn't notice because I was too invested in Oona's story.

Every time New Year's came around, I was eager to see which new year we would jump to. If done with a talented cast, I could see this being a
Lorri Steinbacher
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
In general I avoid time-travel books, but I had been hearing buzz about this one so I figured I'd try it. It was not for me, mainly because of the time travel and the expository way you have to account for the time periods feels self-conscious to me (i.e. name dropping current bands or fashion).

The story was very good and I would highly recommend the book to people who enjoy time-travel fiction.
I am very much in the minority of reviewers in that I was unimpressed by this book. The concept was interesting, but I quite disliked all the characters.

I received an ARC from NetGalley. The book will be released on February 25, 2020.
Pat
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-fiction
The club has everything: Time travel, the Velvet Underground, RuPaul...the writing starts off a little obvious but the era-jumping clever structure and multiplicity of cultural touchstones adds up to an unexpectedly poignant read.
Kate
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
OONA OUT OF ORDER offers an original take on time travel that is both entertaining and heartbreaking. Everyone is going to fall in love with Oona in February!
Kat
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5
Faith
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
"She watched the clock and prayed she'd been told the truth about her strange circumstances, prayed her blind optimism wouldn't prove fruitless. She vowed not to be ruled by nostalgia and grief this year. Wherever and whenever she ended up next, she'd make the most of it."

Ever have a book show up in your life exactly when you need it? That's what happened to me with OONA OUT OF ORDER, the story of a young woman who jumps to different years of her life every year on her birthday starting when she
Nicole Scola

• The Authenticity Project
  • Look Both Ways
  • Miss Austen
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Anna K.: A Love Story
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • His Hideous Heart
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
  • Holding On To Nothing
  • Fata care citea în metrou
  • Rust: A Memoir of Steel and Grit
Margarita Montimore received a BFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College and worked for over a decade in publishing and social media before she decided to focus on the writing dream full-time. She's blogged for Marvel, Google, Quirk Books, and XOJane.com. When not writing, she freelances as a book coach and editor.

Margarita writes upmarket/literary fiction that tends to be left of center and