Start by marking “Oona Out of Order” as Want to Read:
Oona Out of Order

Oona Out of Order

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  24,621 ratings  ·  4,249 reviews
A remarkably inventive novel that explores what it means to live a life fully in the moment, even if those moments are out of order.

It’s New Year’s Eve 1982, and Oona Lockhart has her whole life before her. At the stroke of midnight she will turn nineteen, and the year ahead promises to be one of consequence. Should she go to London to study economics, or remain at home in
Published February 25th 2020 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Oona Out of Order, please sign up.
Cora I totally agree that the idea of this book had amazing potential but the characters were not great in any way. Also the drug/sex scenes were not inter…moreI totally agree that the idea of this book had amazing potential but the characters were not great in any way. Also the drug/sex scenes were not interesting and didn't add to the story, got a little boring after a while. I was okay with both Kenzie and even Madeleine. I also wish this book had more humor from going from one decade to another, it was thrown in every now and then but would have been good to have a little more! (less)

·  24,621 ratings  ·  4,249 reviews

Start your review of Oona Out of Order
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh boy, WTH I just finished! My head should stop spinning! What’s that smell? Did I burn the dinner again? Oh, no I haven’t cooked anything for 2 years. There is an alarm sensing my footsteps as I take only one step in the kitchen. So it can’t be!

What a minute! This is coming from my brain cells! They’re burning! I overused them. What a mind bending, innovative, unconventional, complex reading I had! Wow! After reading this, I got a NewYearsEvephobia!

Imagine yourself as nineteen years old (I pro
Danielle
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book!! 🤗 I wasn’t sure if I would like this book. Reading the premise I immediately thought of the old show Quantum Leap. 🤨 This was so much better than expected. 👍 Oona was a great character. I was fully invested in her story and wanted to just keep reading more and more. I don’t want to give anything away.... Just know that I would absolutely recommend this as a ‘must read’ to my book pals! ❤️😱
Michelle
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Definitely in the minority in this one. Oona drove me crazy.

Well, I saw enough like minded reviews not to feel *too* absurd in giving this only 3 stars. I have to admit I am really disappointed. It started out very strong, my interest was held and then it just fizzled right out. You've all seen the plot summary - an 18 year old leaps into the future or past every year on New Year's Day (which also happens to be her birthday). I thought this was incredibly unique and couldn't wait to begin. Howe
Larry H
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
As if life isn’t complicated enough without time travel?

“How long ‘til my soul gets it right?”
—Indigo Girls, “Galileo”

NYC, 1982. It’s New Year’s Eve. At midnight, Oona will turn 19. She’s exactly where she wants to be—at a party with her beloved boyfriend and friends, and their band is about to perform. She has a tough decision to make: should she go study economics in London or should she stay and perform with the band? But regardless of what she chooses to do, she knows it’s going to
Berit☀️✨
Wow what a book! The perfect blend of angst, romance, pop-culture, and time travel. When I read the blurb for this book I was intrigued, sounded like such a fun concept. And while this book was a lot of fun it was SO much more! Thought-provoking and emotional. The book really gave you lots to think about, what would you do if you were in Oona’s shoes? Are there parts of your past you would change, even if it altered your future? There was also much more emotional depth to this story than I was a ...more
Suzanne thebookblondie
Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore (#9 in 2020)

Thank you to @libro.fm and @flatironbooks for my advanced audio version of this newbie!

If I could describe this book, it would be a combination of Thirteen Going on Thirty (yusss, Jennifer Garner) mixed with the ghost of Christmas past from A Christmas Carol... mixed with any 90s primetime sitcom accompanied by a laugh track of fake audience members. I mean that... exactly as you're thinking I mean it. Now here we go with my unpopular opinion:
Jessica Jeffers
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, arc-physical
I loved this book so much that my only real complaint is that I think it should have been written as a series so that we could spend more time in each of Oona's asynchronous years.
BernLuvsBooks
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Perfect Escape Read Stars!

Book friends, I LOVED this book! I devoured it in 2 days. It provided the perfect escape from our dismal reality right now. It was innovative, fun, emotional, though-provoking and very well written.

I am not a huge time travel reader but the way it was done here was so intriguing. Oona is a 19 year old on the cusp of her future. It's New Year's Eve, she's in love, had amazing friends, a huge decision to make and her whole life ahead of her. Except that at stroke of mi
Anne Bogel
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rounded up from 3.5 stars.

The premise caught my attention: what if one woman doesn't live her life linearly, but completely out of order, one year at a time?

On the eve of her nineteenth birthday, Oona is in a good place: at a New Year's Eve party with the man she loves, counting down to both the new year and a new year in her own life. But just as the clock strikes midnight, Oona passes out—and wakes up as a 51-year-old, in an unfamiliar place, greeted by a stranger who expects this to happen,
SheLovesThePages
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
⏳BOOK REVIEW⏳

Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore
Pub Date: February 25, 2020
352 pages

-DESCRIPTION-
It's New Year's Eve, 1982, and Oona Lockhart is about to celebrate her 19th birthday. At the stroke of midnight, the adventure begins. We learn that Oona, every birthday, age 19 and on, is lived out of order for one year. Her chronological age may be 26, but she wakes up during her 45th year.

-THOUGHTS-
So I loved the premise of this book. I've realized that I may have a thing for time travel boo
readwithjamie
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is one I would just call “ok”. It has been a big hype on Instagram, however I unfortunately never connected with the story nor the characters. Bummed because time travel and 80s/90s nostalgia had me SO eager to read this.

Oona’s character is what bugged me the most. She incessantly whined throughout her adventures and I ended up skimming just to get to the next year. I also yearned first more nostalgia, more heart and soul. I had high hopes for Oona, but alas this one fell flat for me.
Nursebookie
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a creative book about a young woman, who every year during New Year’s Eve on her birthday wakes up into a random time of her life. She can wake up in the future or the past and get to live her life for that year.

I found the story made me look at my own life and pondered the pivoting choices we have made causing major life changes. The career we choose, our partners in life, or the small decisions we make each day all cumulate to how our lives’ trajectory will be. In the end, we li
Jordy’s Book Club
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
QUICK TAKE: If Rebecca Searle's THE DINNER LIST and Blake Crouch's RECURSION had a book baby...this book is a heartfelt, emotional, genre-bending blast. I need sequels, Margarita!!
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

When I first heard about this book I was soooooooo stoked. I mean . . . .

Every year, on your birthday, right at midnight, you travel through time to inhabit your body at a different point of your life. For exactly one year. Then you “leap” to another random age you haven’t lived before (could be older, could be younger). You’re physically and mentally healthy, but you’re experiencing your adult life out of order.

Now THAT is some t
Ema
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK
THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I'VE READ ALL YEAR
(one of three, at least. I have only said this about three books and it's almost October, so. Take me with a grain of salt, but ONLY ONE grain of salt because I'm TELLING you, this BOOK!)

This is very high concept, and I'm a huge sucker for high concept, especially ones like this. I, once again, did not read the blurb or any copy before diving into this one and it was a great decision. I'll have to evaluate in a few days and see if I'm st
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I wanted to love this book. Time travel is one of my favorite tropes so I was excited for a new spin. I loved the first half of the book, but quickly tired of Oona's negative attitude and horrible decision making skills. I'm clearly in the minority (which seems to be happening a lot lately) because people are loving this story. The ending was nice with a good message, but I didn't really get it until the end.
Tania
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, fiction
I absolutely love reading books that have anything to do with time travelling, especially ones that fall outside the science fiction genre. Some of my favorites so - Life After Life, The Time Traveler's Wife and The Outlander Series.

The story starts on New Years Eve 1982. On the stroke of midnight, Oona passes out and wakes up in 2015 in her 51 year old body. Thus begins Oona’s life of jumping forwards and backwards through time to a random different year in her life every New Years Eve, experi
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Hello, if you're new here, I am the one with unpopular opinions. The one who seems to hate books everybody else enjoys, and love books everybody else hates. That's a big generalization, but kind of true.

Oona out of Order is a grand example of that. I look at all those 4 and 5 stars on Goodreads for this book, and I just can't relate.

​Oona out of Order is a good example of why you should leave sci-fi concepts to sc-fi writers. Time jumps in this book are muddy at best, and very much tailored to
Olive Fellows (abookolive)
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: olr-reviews
The below review originally appeared on Open Letters Review.

How many of us have looked forward to the coming year and, knowing precisely what’s coming, wish we could skip the year entirely and live a different one, either in our pasts or farther down the line? When making this wish, however, few of us would sign our names on the dotted line, tying ourselves to that future, if we found out that the next year ahead of us would be a completely random one. The titular Oona in Margarita Montimore’s d
Christy
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020, sci-fi
The year is 1982 and Oona Lockhart is about to turn 19 on New Year's Day. She time travels every year at that time and goes to another year of her life. Her 1st trip she becomes a 19 year old in her 51 year old body! It's random... and I always wanted to know why this was happening to her. Oona will jump from 51 to 23 to 40, etc.

I didn't think I would really love a time travel book, and thought it might be a little confusing or hard to follow... but it wasn't and I really did enjoy it for the m
Sara
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! The characters are fun, and oh so real... I loved the twists... I loved the pop culture references... I loved the turns... and I really love how much this book makes you think. What would it be like to life like in random order? Would you appreciate the present more? What about the people in your life? Do you know how much time you have with them? What if you did? It also reads like a love letter to NYC which I'm all for right now.

Just soooooo much to chew on here I'm going
Laura • lauralovestoread
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a surprisingly compelling story. I honestly haven’t read that many travel-esque novels, but I’m a fan! I just loved the way Oona bounced back around at different time periods of her life, and I found myself completely entranced to see what part of her life I would get to see next.

*Thank you Flatiron Books for the gifted copy for review. All opinions are my own
~Annabelle~ ♥♠
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, stand-alone
I tried to fall hard for this book and i think that was the problem with this one. The storyline was really captivating and touching but i found it mostly boring.

I don't really read time travel books but this sort of time traveling was strange. I really want to ask, why did the book start with a blank memory and it wasn't subsequently blank each year? I think that was one of the reasons i rated this book low. I didn't understand the time traveling in this book.
Grace
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I fell in love with the story idea, every birthday instead of becoming one year older, Oona time travels to a random time, sometimes she’s older, sometimes younger.
It was educational to a certain degree, with a lot of musical, fads, and pop culture references throughout her journey through time.
I was not overly pumped about the year she used drugs and sex to numb pain, and sometimes combined, all pleasure, no consequences, for an entire year! but it is a work of fiction, and written for adults.
Tinichix (nicole)
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I knew very little about this book going into it. I knew the brief summary and the so far primarily good reviews. It was a very pleasant surprise for me. Much more serious than I anticipated. More layers and more meaning than I was expecting. But all in a good way. I choose to do this one as an audio book and the narrator was absolutely perfect. She did an amazing job.

Oona time travels as the description suggests, she leaps from year to year, forward and backwards, with no obvious pattern. Her
Trina (Between Chapters)
So cool! I only wish it were longer so we could see more of Oona's life.
Lata
I enjoyed parts of this story, but even those with some reservation. We're never given a reason for why Oona, out of billions of people on the planet, gets to experience her life all out of order. The mechanism for this situation is never considered or speculated about, as this is a story about relationships and choices, not technology. Instead, we see Oona make mistakes, despite warnings and advice she's left for herself in the form of letters to herself. The mistakes and her reasons for seemin ...more
Jess | thegreeneyedreader
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars - thanks to @librofm #partner for providing me with this gifted audiobook. I loved so many parts of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Oona, even if it was out of order.

The time uncontrollable time- traveling aspect of the book was such a fun concept. Was there holes in this time-traveling theory that went unexplained? Yes, like most time-traveling books, there were parts that didn’t quite add up, but that didn’t take much away from the heartwarming story.

Overall, this was
Jeanette (Again)

If you want to ruin your enjoyment of this book, go ahead and try to figure out the mechanics of how something like this could happen. You won't succeed, but go ahead. The analytical part of my brain wanted to twist and contort itself to puzzle out how Oona could have written letters to herself from years she hadn't yet jumped to. The story was so engaging that I was able to say, "Get thee behind me, literal brain!" I recommend you do the same. It's FUN and it's FICTION. Just let yourse
Nicole
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I initially gave this 4 stars, but changed it to 5 after I couldn't stop thinking about it. At the stroke of midnight on each New Year's, which is also Oona's birthday, she starts a new year, but not like everybody else. She "leaps" to different ages, but not in chronological order. This is a really unique concept for me, and I don't think I've ever read something quite like it. Since you are learning about Oona's life out of order with her, it's impossible to predict what will happen next. It r ...more

• Only Mostly Devastated
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
  • Angel Mage
  • The Dating Charade
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Dear Scarlet: The Story of My Postpartum Depression
  • Holding On To Nothing
  • The Flatshare
  • Frankissstein: A Love Story
  • The Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life of a Double Murder in Appalachia
Margarita Montimore is the author of Asleep from Day and Oona Out of Order, a USA Today bestseller and Good Morning America Book Club pick. After receiving a BFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College, she worked for over a decade in publishing and social media before deciding to focus on the writing dream full-time. Born in Soviet Ukraine and raised in Brooklyn, she currently lives in New Jerse ...more

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our list, we...
“All good things end, always. The trick is to enjoy them while they last.” 14 likes
“There would be bad days, there always would. But she'd collect these good days, each one illuminated, and string them together until they glowed brightly in her memory like Christmas lights in a mirrored room.” 13 likes