Start by marking “Big Lies in a Small Town” as Want to Read:
Big Lies in a Small Town

Big Lies in a Small Town

North Carolina, 2018: Morgan Christopher's life has been derailed. Taking the fall for a crime she did not commit, she finds herself serving a three-year stint in the North Carolina Women's Correctional Center. Her dream of a career in art is put on hold—until a mysterious visitor makes her an offer that will see her released immediately. Her assignment: restore an old ...more
Expected publication: January 14th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Big Lies in a Small Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Lies in a Small Town

Start your review of Big Lies in a Small Town
Paromjit
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Diane Chamberlain writes a compulsive and gripping novel that skillfully weaves the stories of two women from the past and the present. In 2018, 22 year old Morgan Christopher is serving a prison sentence at the North Carolina Correctional Facility in Raleigh for a crime she did not commit. Out of the blue, she receives a visit from Lisa Williams, whose father, the artist Jesse Jameson, has recently died and the lawyer, Andrea Fuller. He left behind a will in which he makes it clear that he ...more
Elyse (semi hiatus) Walters
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NO SPOILERS....only descriptive teasers...

Diane Chamberlain knows what a good story is about. She continues to arrive at new levels of power with each of her novels being more impressive than the one before.
A very loved novelist by readers all around the world....I, too, became an instant giddy fan in 2014, when I read “Necessary Lies”. The story itself was a punch-in-the-gut explosive historical awakening.
Having now read about a half dozen more of her novels....what stands out for me is Diane
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
This is only the second novel that I have read by Ms. Chamberlain. This book is quite different from “The Dream Daughter” which involved time travel and a woman’s decision about the fate of her unborn child. What this book shares with the previous book that I read is a dual timeline once again and strong character development. I would classify this more as a mystery with a very unique story. I found the flow to be wonderful and it was easy to move from one timeline to another, I really enjoyed ...more
Debra
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Big lies in a small town is the story of two women born in different times dealing with issues which are beyond their control. Each woman will have her challenges and her triumphs. Each will be tested, and each will have to prove herself.

North Carolina, 2018 Morgan Christopher was an art student who made a bad judgement call and ended up serving time in a women's correctional center for a crime she did not commit. Then one day she is visited by two women who tell her that she will be released
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Refined, impressive, effective story-telling and adroitly, meticulously developed two amazing characters and their lyrically interwind stories. I’m giving my historical, provocative, stunning four stars for this intriguing journey!

Two artists from different timelines, suffering from the life choices they made because they cannot control them. Two voices shout at us their heart-wrenching stories and want us listen to them. So let’s hear them out, turning the pages to learn more about those
Holly  B
3.5 STARS

A slow burn of a mystery set in North Carolina.

Two women- Morgan and Anna

Two timelines-2018 and 1940

The plot switches between timelines (then/now) and follows the two women as they are connected by a painting/mural project that they are both working on in different capacities.

The first half of the book was slow going and a bit bogged down in the painting project details (in my opinion). There areplenty of clues that may lead you to solve the big reveal and predict the end as I did.

Erin
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Novel background: Diane Chamberlain's latest novel is a dual timeline( 1939/40 & 2018) set in Edenton, North Carolina surrounds the secrets around an unfinished community mural and its troubled artist. In the present, Morgan Christopher is an ex-inmate who is approached to complete the mural that was never completed by New Jersey artist, Anna Dale. As baffled as Morgan is by the endorsement,
Irena BookDustMagic
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was one really good novel that covered some serious topics.
I really enjoyed it and would like to read more by this author.

Full review to come.
Pauline
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I always look forward to Diane Chamberlain's books and I was delighted to receive an ARC of her new book Big Lies In A Small Town.
This story is told in two time frames.
In 1940 Anna Dale wins an art competition to paint a mural for a post office building in a small town. When she arrives to work on the painting she feels that she is not welcome because everyone is unhappy that the towns resident painter was not chosen as the winner.
In 2018 Morgan Christopher is let out on parole from prison to
Chelsea Humphrey
I think that fans of historical fiction with a touch of mysterious atmosphere will enjoy this one much more than I did. HF is very hit or miss for me, and while I found the outcome to be a bit predictable, Diane's writing is so engaging and entertaining that I can see why this story is a favorite of many readers already. Highly recommend that you give this one a try if it's on your radar, and if HF with dual narratives is your jam.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Kathryn in FL
This was a stellar story y'all. Two parallel story lines tell about a depression era work created by an up and coming artist making friends "wrong people" and setting others at odds. Then 8o years later, an old mural is resurrected and restored by young woman, who searches for answers to the riddle of past.

The deception lurking behind what appeared on the surface, captured my attention to the point, my fingers had trouble keeping the pages turning fast enough.

An amazing story, exceptional
Carolyn
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diane Chamberlain has written an excellent historical mystery centred around a 12 by 6 foot mural, the artist who painted it in 1940 and the young artist commissioned to restore it in 2018.

In 1940, Anna Dale, a young woman from New Jersey won a national competition to paint a mural for a post office. Edenton, the town she was assigned in North Carolina was very different from her home town with narrow minded regarding racial discrimination and how women should act and dress. At first she is
Tahera
This turned out to be so so so good!! I am just going to go ahead and give this a 5*! Loved the story, the writing, the characters, the setting, and most of all I think I fell in love with Anna Dale's mural which played a big part in getting her and Morgan Christopher's paths to cross in such an unexpected way.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher St. Martin's Press and the author for providing me with an e-Arc of the book.
Linda
"Never lie to someone who trusts you. Never trust someone who lies to you."

Diane Chamberlain, a gifted storyteller, sets this one down in the small community of Edenton, North Carolina. She's shifting the sands of time from 1940 to 2018 with chapters reflecting the lives of her two main characters, Anna Dale and Morgan Christopher. We'll come to find, because of time and place, that these two women could not be more different. Yet, there is a steeliness in their resolve because of life's
Carol
5 BIG FAT ABSORBING STARS ALL THE WAY........

Love the story....Love the two main characters that alternate between 1940 and 2018 every other chapter....Love the secondary characters....and absolutely Love the ending!

We have good, we have evil and we have a subtle love connection....but oh the secrets hiding within a mural in process of restoration....so cool. Even though I could see some of them coming, no matter....this terrific novel has been added to my 2019 favorites shelf.

In the

Judy
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating! My eyes were glued to the pages. I loved it. Diane Chamberlain has penned a solid hit!

This story is told in two timelines and the chapters go back and forth between the two. In the 2018 timeline, we meet Morgan Christopher who is in prison, serving time for a DUI in which another was critically injured. She gets a visit from a woman, Lisa, who proposes to get her out of prison if she will agree to restore a mural. Morgan had been an art student before she went to prison.
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Hello, My name is Mary, I am an addict. I am addicted to Diane Chamberlain's books. I devoured Big Lies In A Small Town in one night and it left me wanting more. Chamberlain did not disappoint and she describes Edenton just the way I see it when I close my eyes.
I love that Chamberlain writes about this small town and the emotions that are on each page had me in awe. I could not turn the pages fast enough. The ending left me wanting answers but I can speculate at them, I guess. Hurry Run and
Carolyn
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wish to thank NetGalley and St.Martin’s Press for this intriguing novel encompassing art, and two strong but troubled women in different timelines set 70 years apart. Their story connects with their work on the same mural and also contains a mystery which could be entitled “Whatever Happened to Anna?”

This is only the second novel I have read by Diane Chamberlain, the first being The Dream Daughter. They are different in both themes and stories, but the author handles the dual timelines
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
Big Lies in a Small Town was excellent!

Diane Chamberlain did a great job with the alternating timelines. The story, the characters, everything about it was just fantastic. Loved it
Sherri Thacker
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always love when a new Diane Chamberlain book comes out. This book tells a story about 2 different women - Anna in 1939 and Morgan in 2018. Anna painted a mural in 1939 and never finished it. Morgan was wrongly accused and sent to prison for a crime she didn’t commit. A lawyer got her out early as she was chosen to restore this mural from 1939. Morgan had no idea how to restore a mural but she wanted out of prison so would “give it a go”. Both stories tie together very nicely with a big red ...more
Kendall
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
With having read her previous book I was dying to get my hands on a copy of her newest release!!

Big Lies in a Small Town is a character driven novel with a slow burn. The plot switches between two timelines of 2018 and 1940 with the main characters of Anna and Morgan. The timelines follow these two women on a painting/mural project that they're both working on in different capacities.

The first half of the book is extremely slow and driven home by the details of the painting/mural project. I was
Rose
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an advanced copy of “Big Lies in a Small Town”, by Author Diane Chamberlain, for my honest opinion and review

The historical storyline combines two entwining stories of different woman in the 1940’s and 1980’s in small town North Carolina.

This to me was an interesting and intriguing story involving art restoration, small town views, and secrets

Although I liked the writing, and story I did find it quite slow moving. I would still recommend it, and
Karen
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Told in alternating timelines..the story of two artists.
1939-Anna Dale, from New Jersey -a young graduate from a fine arts school, has won a contest to create a mural for a post office in Edenton, North Carolina.
2018 -Morgan Christopher a young artist out on early parole from North Carolina Correctional Facility for Women, specifically to restore the mural that Anna painted in 1940 that was ruined in some mysterious happening.

The novel is part mystery, romance, and also includes the racial
Jan
Oh what a tangled web she weaves!

I think one of the things I love most about a Diane Chamberlain novel is her ability to weave past and present into such an entertaining , thought provoking and suspenseful page turner, time and time again.

Big Lies in a Small Town does just that with solid characters, a fresh and imaginative story line, and some nice plot twists that were revealed at just the right time.

My only complaint would be the ending was not as strong as I had been prepared for, but still
Karren  Sandercock
Thanks NetGalley, St Martin's Press and Diane Chamberlain for giving me the chance to read her new book: Big Lies In A Small Town, it's the first book I have read by this author and it wont be my last.

2018, Morgan Christopher found herself serving time in the North Carolina Correctional Facility, she's young, very naive, she made a big mistake, trusted the wrong person and she never considered she could be sent to jail! Once she understands how much trouble she's in, she's tries desperately to
ABookwormWithWine
/ 5

Big Lies in a Small Town was my first time reading a Diane Chamberlain book and HOT DANG! I literally feel an instant need to collect and read all of her books now and forever and ever, amen.

I completely loved the setup of Big Lies in a Small Town, which switches back and forth between Morgan in 2018 and Anna Dale in 1940. I was really intrigued by both of the women's stories, but especially Anna's. 1940 in Edenton, NC was full of racism and sexism, but also a lot of culture and heritage. I
Erin Clemence
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, kindle
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic copy of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Expected pub date: January 14, 2020

Morgan Christopher believes she has been given the gift of a lifetime when a mysterious stranger releases her from jail, making her a free woman. The only stipulation—she has to finish restoring a mural that was completed years ago, in half the time that it would normally take. Scrambling to complete the mural, Morgan becomes
Tammy
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: release-2020
5 Loved it! Big Lies in a Small Town is a fabulous intriguing book chocked full of mystery that I quickly became invested in - exposing all its juicy little secrets the further I read. And believe me, there’s plenty of them in the small N. Carolina town of Edenton. Very good, highly recommend.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Karen Kay
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

North Carolina, 2018: Morgan Christopher's life has been derailed. Taking the fall for a crime she did not commit, she finds herself serving a three-year stint in the North Carolina Women's Correctional Center. North Carolina, 1940: Anna Dale, an artist from New Jersey, wins a national contest to paint a mural for the post office in Edenton, North Carolina. The price of being different might just end in murder.

Good story, and the ending
Tami
Scandalously good story! Set in a small town in North Carolina, the story is told in dual timelines. One is set during 1940, the other in 2018. Each timeline follows a young female artist working on projects that could be life-changing for each young woman.

The problem is small towns often have secrets. Add to that the fact that the locals are suspicious of newcomers, expecting them to conform to the mores of the community. Racial tensions also come into play. In the 1940’s, this was a big deal.

• Behind Every Lie
  • The Whispers of War
  • The Second Home
  • A Hundred Suns
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • An Everyday Hero (A Heart of a Hero #2)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
Diane Chamberlain is the New York Times, USA Today and (London) Sunday Times best-selling author of 27 novels. The daughter of a school principal who supplied her with a new book almost daily, Diane quickly learned the emotional power of story. Although she wrote many small “books” as a child, she didn’t seriously turn to writing fiction until her early thirties when she was waiting for a delayed ...more