Start by marking “The Wife and the Widow” as Want to Read:
The Wife and the Widow

The Wife and the Widow

The second standalone thriller from the award-winning author of THE NOWHERE CHILD

Set against the backdrop of an eerie island town in the dead of winter, The Wife and The Widow is an unsettling thriller told from two perspectives: Kate, a widow whose grief is compounded by what she learns about her dead husband’s secret life; and Abby, an island local whose world is turned
Published January 21st 2020 by Minotaur Books (first published September 24th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Wife and the Widow, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shanae
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Wife and the Widow
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG!OMG!OMG! I’m not a religious person but any example masterpiece writing is a quite definition of finding the real miracle in the earth for me. And this book is impeccable, detailed, surprising, mind-blowing, so smartly written.

I wish I had a chance to clone this author’s special gift and brain cells and have them transplanted into my miserable head!

This mean genius author literally plays an unfair game with your mind. It’s impossible to win against him because he is too intelligent. I fooled
Meredith
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“If we don’t talk about the monsters in this world, we won’t be ready for them when they jump out from under the bed.”

The Wife and the Widow is a dark and twisty psychological thriller.

It’s tightly wound and compulsively readable--so tightly wound that I read right through the twist! It’s subtle and intelligently written.

It’s best to go in blind, so that’s all I am going to say!

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Kylie D
I was looking forward to reading this book after loving The Nowhere Child, and while I did enjoy it, I don't think it's as good as the author's previous work. We have two women brought together on the island off the coast of Victoria, one grieving the death of her husband, the other wondering what has gotten into hers. As their lives entwine we are brought closer to the truth of what happened, in a place where nothing is as it seems.

The Wife And The Widow is a good quick read, and yes it has one
Paige
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"If they didn't talk about the monsters in this world, then they wouldn't be ready for them when they jumped out from under the bed."

Chapters alternate between The Widow, Kate, and The Wife, Abby.
Within the few first chapters, Kate's husband goes missing without a trace. She then finds out he quit his job months earlier without telling her and lied about the trip he was supposed to be on. Where is he? Why did he lie? What is he hiding? "...are some monsters better left hidden."
Abby's chapters
Katie B
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a clever mystery and I enjoyed it so much I'm definitely going to check out the author's other book, The Nowhere Child. The story grabbed me from the start as I was very interested in what happened to the missing husband as well as figuring out the connection between the two women. There's a surprise or two along the way and while I wouldn't say my mind was blown, I was left feeling appreciative the author managed to pull one over on me.

Kate, a mother of a young girl, is devastated when
Jayme
DNF-no rating

Things I do not want to read about:

1. Politics
2. Religion
3. Taxidermy

This had two out of three.

I encourage you to read the many stellar reviews for this book for a more objective opinion.
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is an excellent read! What an interesting job to learn about: palliative care. I didn't know but it makes sense someone has to do it. I love that example about releasing stress on a leaf down the stream. I also like learning the term taxidermy. I have seen many deer heads at my old boss' office so now learning of the term is wonderful. In my other island reads, the story made it like living on an island is the best off season but this book brings out another light, one where the locals ...more
Erin
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books for an egalley in exchange for an honest review.

You got me, Christian White! I think I was more than one step behind you in this suspense thriller and by the end, my jaw was on the ground and there were dark circles under my eyes. Goodreads people, I must add another author to my favorites list.

Told in alternating chapters by the "Widow", Kate Keddie and the "Wife", Abby Gilpin, there is no shortage of questions in this standalone
Mandy White
Wow!

Those that have read The Nowhere Child by this author know that Christian White can really write a brilliant story. This second novel is as good, if not better in my opinion. I could not wait to get my hands on this book and once I started it I really struggled to put it down.

It is a hard story to talk too much about without giving anything away. What you need to know is that it told from 2 different points of view. There is Kate, whose husband fails to return from an overseas business
Fran
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We all have things that ought to stay buried, things a person should keep to themselves...how well can you really know anyone?"

Kate Keddie, a stay at home mom, lived in an elegant Victorian home in Caulfield. She was married to John, a physician at Trinity Health Centre for Palliative Care. As our story unfolds, Kate and ten year old daughter Mia, await John's return from a two week conference in London. As passengers deplane at Melbourne International Airport, he is not among them. In fact,
Sharon
Christian White is an author I’ll be keeping a close eye on as I’ve now read his two novels and enjoyed both of them. I can't wait to discover what he writes next. This book revolves around two women, Kate, who is the widow and Abby who is the wife. Each chapter of this book alternates between the two giving us the reader a clear image of what exactly going on between these two women.

The mystery and suspense throughout this book has you turning the pages eagerly awaiting on what will take place
Carolyn
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars. I read Christian White’s terrific debut novel, The Nowhere Child, back in January. It remains one of my favorite mysteries of 2019, so had no hesitation in purchasing The Wife and the Widow ebook.

I apologize as this novel was a disappointment for me. It started out strong but then wasn’t keeping me engaged in the story. I found the characters underdeveloped. Kate, the widow, was too passive to be interesting as a main character. Abby, the wife, was unpleasant and not at all
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

The Wife and the Widow by Christian White. (2019).

Set against the backdrop of an island town in winter, this thriller is told from two perspectives. Kate is a widow whose grief is compounded by what she learns about her husband's secret life. Abby is an island local who is forced to confront the evidence that her husband is a murderer. But nothing on the island is quite as it seems. When the women are pushed to the edge, they will
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

Fairfax has labelled Christian White, the author of last year’s smash hit, The Nowhere Child as, ‘an exciting new voice in crime fiction’. I have to concur, Christian White has earned this title, thanks to his first book, and now his second novel, The Wife and the Widow. A story that follows a wife, a widow and a shocking secret on a stormy island abode, Christian White’s sophomore novel is a book that will have you deeply examining the actions of
Michael
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do you go after your debut novel becomes a major hit? That was the question for Melbourne native Christian White who's in 2017 would win the 2017 Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for The Nowhere Child. While expectations were high for the follow-up I was not prepared for an even deeper and more mature narrative that made for a brilliant read.

Based on the question of how much we truly know our loved ones The Wife and the Widow expands on dynamics of family and the lengths you may go to
Amy
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve made no secret of my struggle with thrillers as of late, but every once in awhile I read a book that reminds me why it’s always been my go to genre and The Wife and the Widow was that kind of book for me!

Friends, this one will be tricky to review because it was so incredibly clever that you should go in as blind as possible. How about this, if you like books that are super fast paced and the type you have to read in just a couple of sittings, grab this. Or if you like books that have two
Brandy
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Monsters come in all shapes and sizes; some don’t even hide they are visible in plain sight. With that said, I ask, just how far would you go to protect the ones you love from a monster lurking nearby? Such a breathtaking, mind blowing, gut wrenching, left me SMFH in horror and anticipation. The Wife and the Widow is an absolute, hands-down bestseller - Brandy approved!!

The Wife
Bridgett
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites

**4.5 stars rounded up**

Wow. I started this book earlier this afternoon, and I've pretty much read it in one sitting. I found myself frantically turning pages trying to figure out the mystery and get answers to my many questions. I didn't want to put my Kindle down. What a beautifully written story. Christian White clearly has mad skills. His writing flowed effortlessly from
Angie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, netgalley, drama
Stars:

Dual narratives drive a story with a great deal of depth...

PLOT SUMMARY: Kate’s husband John has been on a work trip for the past two weeks. She and their daughter Mia miss him terribly and can’t wait to see him, but when they go to the airport to surprise him, he’s not there. Unable to contact him, she connects with his work colleagues...and receives more questions than answers. Where is John?

Abby lives with her husband Ray, and two teenage children on Belport Island. Ray is not himself
Beth
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Thank you Netgalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review **

I cannot wait for this book to hit the shelves so other people can read it. I was on the edge of my seat so often, it nearly tipped over. Good thing I have acrylics or I wouldn't have fingernails left.

This is the classic domestic thriller that has gotten more and more popular lately and I think it'll appeal to fans of Gillian Flynn and Paula Hawkins.

Things I loved about this book:
-creepy isolated island! When a mystery is set
Jan
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the writing is smooth and easy, the same can’t be said about the story line!

This was a compulsive read-atmospheric and cleverly written, with a solid mystery that completely had me fooled until the end.

Told from 2 POV's, (the wife and the widow) White does an excellent job of slowly peeling back the layers and inserting a reveal or two at just the right moments.

I missed out on his debut The Nowhere Child but not for long-off to track this one down.

ARC provided by NetGalley

Denise Reed
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MIND BLOWN! The Wife and the Widow was just an ordinary thriller - until it wasn't any more! Seriously crazy read. Christian White, I bow to your brilliance.

This book takes place on an island town in the isolated winter, which makes for an eerie setting in and of itself. It shifts and turns between two POVs - Kate, the widow, who is consumed by her husband’s death and whose journey for answers into her husband’s secret life, is the heart of this story; and Abby, a native to the island who is
Jay Dwight
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last year's "The Nowhere Child" was one of my favourite reads for the year, and Christian's follow up is another excellent read.

Hard to say too much without giving things away. Alternating chapters of narrative from The Widow and then The Wife, and for a lot of the tale, the reader is in the dark. Never boring though, and I didn't want to put the book down. In the end, quite a simple story, but delivered in a deviously complex way. The tale comes together in the most brilliant way.

Outstanding!
Basic B's Guide
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
White absolutely nailed her second standalone thriller. Consider me a fan forever. This mystery unfolds with dual storylines and is super easy to follow. As you peel back the layers and things come together you stop and wonder, how in the world you could have missed seeing it? Brilliantly done.
Velvet
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. He writes women so well; I think that takes a special talent.

I found myself caring very much about Kate, John and Abby because the characters were fleshed out so well. And John's nightmares were scary and intriguing at the same time. My guess about the cause of those hallucinations was somewhat close to the truth but not quite, and I love that I was off on that.

The twist that came three-quarters into the book completely threw me and had me terribly confused for a
Jayme
Nov 25, 2019 added it
This story is not a fit for me as I prefer my books do not have narratives involving religious beliefs. (Or Political ones, for that matter, though that does not apply here)

Or Taxidermy (also featured in this book)

So, I will encourage you to read the many stellar reviews for this book if it intrigues you, as they will be much more objective.

Thank You to Netgalley, Minotaur books and the author for the digital ARC I received in exchange for a candid review!
Dennis
Last year I had the pleasure of reading Christian White's debut novel, The Nowhere Child, which was hands-down one of the strongest debut mystery novels I've ever read. Christian White does not disappoint with his upcoming release, The Wife and the Widow . Set in the mysterious island town of Belport, we are given two main characters, who have zero relationship with each other, but somehow connected after a grizzly murder takes place. Kate, the widow, is trying to uncover the secrets of her ...more
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This book was my second read by White. I read it so fast, I was intrigued by the storyline. I was right on the who done it part. But somethings were not as they seemed so I really was back and forth. I loved the story being told from the Wife and the Widows point of view.
I did find the story to short, I hate for a book to end to soon when I am enjoying it so much.
You are going to want to get your hands on this 4 star read. I recommend it.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for
Jackie Robinson
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CHRISTIAN. WHITE. You’ve done it again!

Ohohohohoh. This was a good one.
I absolutely loved the storyline - Kate, a woman whose husband goes missing and his secret life is revealed; Abby, a woman who has to come to terms with the fact that her husband is a murderer.
Nothing is as it seems! I literally sat in my beanbag with my mouth gaping open when I figured out what was going down. I was so impressed.

Overall, it was a pretty simple storyline - the readers are kept in the dark for most of it but
Paul Lockman
Will tackle the author's debut book and post some thoughts about both of them after I finish it.

Well I have just finished The Nowhere Child. I thought it was an impressive debut and gave it 4.5 stars. I can only give this one 2.5 stars though. It just didn't work for me. I felt the characters weren't well developed and I didn't connect with them, the plot seemed a bit uneven and the atmosphere wasn't particularly engaging or compelling. I notice this book has an overall rating of 4.13 which is

• Silver
  • In The Clearing
  • Just One Wish
  • The Model Wife
  • Bruny
  • Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
  • There Was Still Love
  • Six Minutes
  • The Best Kind of Beautiful
  • Your Own Kind of Girl
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • The Diamond Hunter
  • Wolfe Island
Christian White is an Australian author and screenwriter. His debut novel, The Nowhere Child, won the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for an Unpublished Manuscript. He co-created the television series Carnivores, currently in development with Matchbox Pictures and Heyday TV, and co-wrote Relic, a psychological horror feature film to be produced by Carver Films (The Snowtown Murders, Partisan).