Start by marking “A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)

A Bad Day for Sunshine

(Sunshine Vicram #1)

Sheriff Sunshine Vicram finds her cup o’ joe more than half full when the small village of Del Sol, New Mexico, becomes the center of national attention for a kidnapper on the loose.

Del Sol, New Mexico is known for three things: its fry-an-egg-on-the-cement summers, its strong cups of coffee—and a nationwide manhunt? Del Sol native Sunshine Vicram has returned to town as
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Day for Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Day for Sunshine

Start your review of A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a hilarious, entertaining, witty, thrilling ride from the fantastic author of Charley Davidson series (I devoured the six books of the series and I should create more time, sleeping less or multitasking like reading at the movie theatre, riding my spinning bike and eating my dinner at the same time! So I can finish more books. Another solution: I should get inserted special chips too my brain to read three books at the same time!)

I laughed so much during my read and I couldn’t leave this
Sandy
I was a big fan of this author’s Charley Davidson series which was straight-up urban fantasy. Now she’s begun a new one featuring *gasp* humans. Yep, not a demon, ghoul or God in sight. Turns out she can also write entertaining mysteries featuring normal people. Wait….I may be using that term loosely.

Del Sol, New Mexico has always attracted the artistic, odd & eccentric. It’s the type of close knit community where everyone’s on a first name basis, even with the resident flasher (that would
Marialyce
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Having never read a book by Darynda Jones, and hearing wonderful things, I accepted the offer by NetGalley to read this story and I am thrilled I did. I have not laughed out loud at a book in quite some time, but his book is often hilarious, uproarious, and rollicking.

Sunshine Vicram is a terrific character, a young woman who mysteriously wins an election in a small town called Del Sol, in New Mexico. She has no idea how she won or even more amazingly how she did not know she was
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
Wow guys!! I have never read a book by Darynda Jones before, in fact I've never even heard of her. Netgalley sent me an email saying this was available to read now for only 2 days so I grabbed it!! I'm so happy I did! I LOVED this book! I loved these characters and was pulled into this story right from the start! These characters are fun, I loved the mystery, and I even laughed in parts. The suspense was great. I'm definitely going to be reading more books by this author no doubt!!
Meggie V
Jun 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: can-t-wait
Even if this book was solely about Doug the flasher, I would still read it and enjoy it.

Because Darynda Jones wrote it. That is all.

Susan
Oct 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
READ NOW on Netgalley for the next 48 hours! Run!!!!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I need the next book NOW! Also, I can totally see this becoming yet another favorite series from this author.
Full review to come closer to release date.
Cyndi
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Darynda Jones has done it again! This is the beginning of an amazing series that I can't wait to dive into as they appear. The story is set in a small town in New Mexico. Our heroine is the sheriff and this is the town she grew up in. But after a harrowing experience she left as a teenager. Now she is back and determined to solve the ultimate crime. The one against herself, Meanwhile she has bad guys to stop and people to protect. Including her teenage daughter.
Excellent story by one of my
Jeri
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
I was so thrilled to be able to get my hands on a new book by Ms. Jones!! I couldn't wait to read what her imagination had come up with now.

In this new series we are introduced to Sunshine Vicram. She is the newly elected sheriff of Del Sol, New Mexico even though she didn't run for the position! On her first day she finds out about the "bad luck muffins" and that throws the whole town into a tailspin. First there is a missing rooster, two teenagers are missing add to that the history Sunshine
Mindy Lou's Book Review
This was fantastic! It had all the elements that I loved in the author's Charley Davidson series but with a new set of characters and a whole new world that I absolutely loved. I am so excited for this new series. I can already tell you this will be a series I will want to re-read often.

Those elements I mentioned is the snarky heroine, fun sidekicks and an incredibly intense hero. To me it's the perfect formula to an entertaining series. As fun and entertaining as this book was, it also had some
Catherine
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

As a BIG fan of the Charley Davidson series, I was thrilled when A Bad Day For Sunshine was announced. I love Darynda’s writing style, the characters she creates, and the worlds she develops.
This book sounded like it would have a similar vibe. It did not. This book missed the marked entirely. It was extremely slow and held my interest for about 10% of the book.

Both Sunshine and Auri (her daughter) are narrators, which
JoAn
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, mystery
A Bad Day for Sunshine by Darynda Jones is book one in her new series. I fell in love with this book from chapter one.

Ms. Jones' descriptive writing made the town of Del Sol and it's residents come alive. This story flowed as readers are introduced to Sunshine, Quincy, Auri, Jimmy, Hailey and Levi. The kidnapping mystery was complex with so few suspects and clues that I was beginning to doubt if it would be solved in this first book. With Ms. Jones' sarcastic wit, a well-crafted plot and another
Amy Imogene Reads
Nov 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
This book looks like a rollicking good time!

Thank you to St. Martin's Press for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Linda
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this first book in Darynda Jones’s new series. On the positive side, the characters are likable and Jones brings her trademark snark and sass both to Sunshine and to her daughter Auri. Sun’s relationships with Auri, her best friend Quinton, and her parents all are enjoyable and there are some fun, quirky characters who will be fun to follow. I especially like Auri, a bit better than I do Sun, if I’m being honest.

But I also have some frustrations with the story.
Judy Lesley
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
No, this series is not for me. I absolutely loved the Charlie Davidson books, all thirteen of them with short stories added in from time to time. The thing about these two series is that one was obviously paranormal and one is not. You can get away with doing lots of things in unusual ways if your entire premise is based on a woman who is the Grim Reaper who guides souls to *pass over to the other side*. A Bad Day For Sunshine does not have that paranormal element so when Sunshine Vicram begins ...more
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free copy of A Bad Day For Sunshine. This has in no way influenced my voluntary review which is honest and unbiased.*

This was a refreshing, and kind of dark, mystery! Darynda Jones has been a favorite author of mine for a long time, and I'm happy to read something of hers that's a bit different from her other novels I have read.

Sunshine is the new sheriff in Del Sol, and she has more than one mystery to solve! First, it's her own mystery - of what happened to her when she was
Betül
Review to come.
Rachel
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a massive fan of Darynda Jones's Charley Davidson series, so I was beyond thrilled to start a new series. While I'd categorize Charley's stories as Urban Fantasy, I'd put this series (so far) more into a straight mystery genre.

Sunshine and her teenage daughter, Auri, move back to Sunshine's home town of Del Sol, New Mexico, where she has just been elected sheriff. And in the very few days that this book takes place, there are several investigations in play, including the search for two
Joan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of uncorrected digital galley

Sunshine Vicram, the newly-elected sheriff of Del Sol, New Mexico, has her hands full on this, her first on-duty day. There’s a kidnapper, a stolen prized rooster, a missing teenage girl, and a boatload of angst courtesy of her daughter’s high school classmates.

Filled with the author’s trademark snarky attitudes and witty come-backs, the story is less about plot [of which there is very little] and more about characters [of which there are a great many]. The
2shay
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review by 2shay.............

If you loved The Charley Davidson series, hold on to your panties, Ladies, Sunshine Vicram has Levi Arun Ravinder! He’s HOT! Sun and Levi have a strange non-relationship full of mistrust and misunderstanding, with a level of sexual tension that makes the pages burn. Sun’s loved him since she was ten. How he feels about her? I’m not sure. But their non-relationship is just a small part of the story.

Sunshine is the new sheriff in town. How that happened is still a
No Apology Book Reviews
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don’t repeat your mistakes, Jones

I would like to effusively thank Darynda Jones, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley for letting Christmas come early by allowing me to read a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

When a new Darynda Jones book drops out of the wild blue yonder directly into my lap more than six months before its due to be released, there’s only one thing to do—hunker the fuck down because I’m not functioning like a human until every word has been imprinted on my eyeballs.

I
Jennifer Jung
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come.... stay tuned...
Blendy
Jun 08, 2019 marked it as dnf-for-one-reason-or-another
Update 1/14/20
I'm going to have to try to come back to this one at another time. I'm just not in the right frame of mind for it or something. I absolutely adore Darynda Jones, so I KNOW that I should will like this book, but today is just not that day.

Update 10.21.19
I've started it, and I absolutely cannot believe that I'm about to say this...but....but....I'm so not enjoying this book.

Will this be a #whychoose? Can this be a #whychoose?? Oh please, please, please let this be a
Shannon
A Bad Day for Sunshine
Sunshine Vicram, Book 1

I Picked Up This Book Because: I’m a big fan of the author’s previous works.

The Characters:

Sunshine Blaze Vicram:
Aurora “Auri” Dawn Vicram:
Levant “Levi” Arun Ravinder (the one that got away, kinda),Cyrus and Elaine (Sunshine’s parents), Quincy Lynn Cooper (Sunshine’s BFF), Cruz De los Santos (Auri’s maybe boyfriend),

The Story:

This story started out a little uphill. New setting, all new characters and just a lot of back story to
Jacquie
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and chaos in equal measure!

When Sunshine Vicram’s well-meaning parents get her elected as sheriff of small town Del Sol, she doesn’t expect her first day to include a child abduction, a runaway rooster, a car barreling into the sheriff’s station and almost running her down, and a run-in with her first crush, Levi Ravinder.

And the fun has just begun!

This is a fast-paced read with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments interspersed with touching scenes between Sunshine and her daughter, Auri.

Levi is
Jeanie Jackson
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Bad Day for Sunshine is as fantastic as Darynda Jones Charlie Davidson series! The protagonist, Sun or Sunshine has many of Charlies qualities without the supernatural element, as far a we know. Her deprecating humor is just as hilarious as is her interaction with her family and her best friend but she takes her new job as sheriff seriously. All of the characters have great depth and dimension and carry a feeling that they have both a past and a future; an element not common for secondary ...more
Kristin
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That was quite fabulous! Fans will definitely want to preorder this ...more
Cocktails and Books
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Sunshine. Levi May have a bit do the Reyes Farrow a-holishness, but I’m hoping this bad boys is sun and Auri’s savior. Can’t wait for more.
Casey Wheeler
This is the first book by the author that I have read and based on prior reviews of her books I thought I would take a chance on it. It is the beginning of a new series with a new character. I was very disappointed as I found the writing style erratic and unengaging. I am sure that fans of the author will find this book likeable, but as for me it will the last one that I will read.

I received a free Kindle copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher with the understanding that I
Dana Alma
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review Coming Soon!

• Been There, Married That
  • Hid from Our Eyes
  • Little Secrets
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • Safecracker
  • The New Husband
  • The Janes (Alice Vega #2)
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan #19)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Please See Us
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Alone in the Wild (Rockton, #5)
  • The Look-Alike
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The Finders (Mace Reid K-9 Mystery, #1)
  • No Mercy (Ellery Hathaway, #2)
NYTimes and USA Today Bestselling Author Darynda Jones has won numerous awards for her work, including a prestigious RITA, a Golden Heart, and a Daphne du Maurier. As a born storyteller, she grew up spinning tales of dashing damsels and heroes in distress for any unfortunate soul who happened by, annoying man and beast alike. She currently has two series with St. Martin's Press, the Charley ...more