Start by marking “A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)

A Bad Day for Sunshine

(Sunshine Vicram #1)

New York Times bestselling author Darynda Jones is back with the brand-new snarky, sassy, wickedly fun Sunshine Vicram series!

Sheriff Sunshine Vicram finds her cup o’ joe more than half full when the small village of Del Sol, New Mexico, becomes the center of national attention for a kidnapper on the loose.

Del Sol, New Mexico is known for three things: its fry-an-egg-on-th
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

Win a Copy of This Book

• A Bad Day for Sunshine by Darynda Jones
    A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
    Release date: Apr 07, 2020

“Swoon-worth

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 3508 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 04 - Nov 18, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Day for Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Day for Sunshine

Start your review of A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
    Meggie V
    Jun 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: can-t-wait
    Even if this book was solely about Doug the flasher, I would still read it and enjoy it.

Because Darynda Jones wrote it. That is all.

Oct 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
    READ NOW on Netgalley for the next 48 hours! Run!!!!
    Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
    *I received a free copy of A Bad Day For Sunshine. This has in no way influenced my voluntary review which is honest and unbiased.*

This was a refreshing, and kind of dark, mystery! Darynda Jones has been a favorite author of mine for a long time, and I'm happy to read something of hers that's a bit different from her other novels I have read.

Sunshine is the new sheriff in Del Sol, and she has more than one mystery to solve! First, it's her own mystery - of what happened t
    No Apology Book Reviews
    Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Don’t repeat your mistakes, Jones

I would like to effusively thank Darynda Jones, St. Martin’s Press, and NetGalley for letting Christmas come early by allowing me to read a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

When a new Darynda Jones book drops out of the wild blue yonder directly into my lap more than six months before its due to be released, there’s only one thing to do—hunker the fuck down because I’m not functioning like a human until every word has been imprinted on my
    Jennifer Jung
    Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Full review to come.... stay tuned...
    Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
    Wow guys!! I have never read a book by Darynda Jones before, in fact I've never even heard of her. Netgalley sent me an email saying this was available to read now for only 2 days so I grabbed it!! I'm so happy I did! I LOVED this book! I loved these characters and was pulled into this story right from the start! These characters are fun, I loved the mystery, and I even laughed in parts. The suspense was great. I'm definitely going to be reading more books by this author no doubt!!
    Blendy
    Jun 08, 2019 is currently reading it
    Update 10.21.19
    I've started it, and I absolutely cannot believe that I'm about to say this...but....but....I'm so not enjoying this book.

Will this be a #whychoose? Can this be a #whychoose?? Oh please, please, please let this be a #whychoose!!!!!!
    Catherine
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

As a BIG fan of the Charley Davidson series, I was thrilled when A Bad Day For Sunshine was announced. I love Darynda’s writing style, the characters she creates, and the worlds she develops.
    This book sounded like it would have a similar vibe. It did not. This book missed the marked entirely. It was extremely slow and held my interest for about 10% of the book.

Both Sunshine and Auri (her daughter) are narr
    Joan
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Review of uncorrected digital galley

Sunshine Vicram, the newly-elected sheriff of Del Sol, New Mexico, has her hands full on this, her first on-duty day. There’s a kidnapper, a stolen prized rooster, a missing teenage girl, and a boatload of angst courtesy of her daughter’s high school classmates.

Filled with the author’s trademark snarky attitudes and witty come-backs, the story is less about plot [of which there is very little] and more about characters [of which there are a great
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Darynda Jones has created another must read series! I was so sad when Charley Davidson series ended. I knew I would miss that cast of characters. But guess what? Sunshine is here and just as sassy and lovable as Charley. Along with another great set of characters that I need more of. Amazingly fresh & fun. I can’t wait for more!!

*ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review.
    Tina
    I absolutely loved this book. It was a “Read now!” For 48 hours on Netgalley and I’m so happy I snapped it up. This book was the perfect balance of humor and gravity as the first in a new series by the amazing Darynda Jones. I cannot wait until the next one as I still need some answers to some questions I have. 😜
    Lisa
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: mystery readers
    Recommended to Lisa by: netgalley
    Very good mystery, lots of red herrings kept me changing my mind and really thinking it all through trying to keep on the right track. Warning, it is book #1 in a series and you'll definitely want book #2.
    Allison
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    *I received and read an ARC from Netgalley.

Full disclaimer: For some authors, I don't even care what the book is. If I see an advance copy is available, I request it. If I get an advance copy, I read it. It's an automatic reflex and, for me, Darynda Jones is one of those authors. Never mind that I work full-time and am in grad school full-time; these are the instances where my husband and kids can fend for themselves while I fall behind in school and sleep (work continues, because, y
    Ceelee Sunshine
    First, Thank you to NetGalley, St Martin's Press and author Darynda Jones for giving me the opportunity of reading this fantastic book in exchange for my honest review.

Last Wednesday I received an email from NetGalley with an offer to read Darynda Jones' new book A Bad Day For Sunshine without waiting for publisher's approval. The only catch is we had to read it within 48 hours. I decided to accept the challenge because I am a fan of Ms Jones' books and set into reading it later that day and f
    Nichole
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    First, Thank you to NetGalley, St Martin's Press for providing A Bad Day for Sunshine in exchange for my honest review.

I enjoyed the Charley Davidson series but admit that I only made it through book 6 before I moved on to something else. I enjoyed all of the books and Darynda Jones writing style but lost interest after a while. That said, when I saw a new book was available, I rushed to NetGalley for a chance to read it.
    I knew nothing about the story going in and it was a new
    Robin Reynolds
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    *received from the publisher and voluntarily reviewed*

While I hadn't read Ms. Jones before, I am very aware of her popular Charley Davidson series, and even have books one and twelve of that series in my TBR. So when an email showed up from Netgalley about this book, the first in a new series, being available, I jumped on it.

It's one of those books that is filled with quirky characters and outlandish situations. Starting with Sunshine becoming the sheriff of her home town after winn
    Amanda
    Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
    3.5/5 ⭐

[I received a digital copy from netgalley for an honest review]

A Bad Day for Sunshine is the start of a brand-new series by Darynda Jones. A mystery with a little romance and a little "witchiness'. I usually do my own little summary of the book but in this case I don't know where to begin and the books' synopsis does a great job, so I would refer to that.

"I swear, Mom. You'd lose your head if that nice Dr. Frankenstein hadn't bolted it onto your body." Sun straightened/>

A
    2shay
    Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Review by 2shay.............

If you loved The Charley Davidson series, hold on to your panties, Ladies, Sunshine Vicram has Levi Arun Ravinder! He’s HOT! Sun and Levi have a strange non-relationship full of mistrust and misunderstanding, with a level of sexual tension that makes the pages burn. Sun’s loved him since she was ten. How he feels about her? I’m not sure. But their non-relationship is just a small part of the story.

Sunshine is the new sheriff in town. How that h
    Linda
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I have mixed feelings about this first book in Darynda Jones’s new series. On the positive side, the characters are likable and Jones brings her trademark snark and sass both to Sunshine and to her daughter Auri. Sun’s relationships with Auri, her best friend Quinton, and her parents all are enjoyable and there are some fun, quirky characters who will be fun to follow. I especially like Auri, a bit better than I do Sun, if I’m being honest.

But I also have some frustrations with the s
    Janet
    Oct 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
    A Bad Day for Sunshine is a strong start to a new series. Strong and well-rounded characters, realistic and entertaining dialogue, and Darynda Jones' engaging writing style make for a winning combination, and I already can't wait for the next. I was thrilled to be able to read an ARC for this series, and read it whenever possible... and often when I should be doing something else... because it drew me in immediately. I read this as quickly as possible to get to the next scene, all while dreading ...more
    Kevin
    Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Sunshine Vicram won an election for sheriff she has no recollection of entering. Back home in Del Sol, New Mexico, and living in an apartment behind her parents' house with her 14-year-old daughter, Sun is immediately thrust into the investigation of a missing 14-year-old who is also a friend of Sun's daughter Auri (short for Aurora).

It is hard not to like Sun, her best friend Quincy Cooper, and local bad boy gone legit Levi Ravinder, but somehow -- for me -- it is Auri who steals th
    Marsha
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Fabulous start for a new series by a brilliant author. If you've read any of the Charley Davidson series you will be familiar with the kind of humor that draws the reader in. The story/plot have many different facets going on with it. There is the current mystery they are trying to solve, but meanwhile one or two addition crimes take place, plus that one 'big picture' mystery that will most likely carry over throughout the series. The characters are very lovable. They are all smart and witty, ev ...more
    Kay Brooks
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A Story of Love, Hate, and Justice

Sunshine Vicram is the new sheriff of Del Sol, New Mexico. She didn’t exactly run for the office, her parents entered her name in the race and she was elected before she knew the election was even taking place. But, it’s good to be home, and the job will be easy this sleepy little town. Then her first day in office turns into a disaster. It all starts with a plateful of muffins, but you can read about that later. Her daughter runs into bullies in the
    Thomas
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
    This was a story that I was very glad that I persevered through the first few chapters, as I wound up really enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Pro's:
    Well written. (This is the main reason I continued with the story).
    Lots of surprises. (Good one's and bad one's)
    A lot of humor that helps break the more stressful situations.

Con's:
    The thirty something year old sheriff (who is the main character) is more hormonal than her teenage daughter. Every new ma
    Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I almost set this book aside on my “did not finish “ pile, but something told me that just might not be a great idea. And it wasn’t, because this tale has as many twists and turns as a snake uncoiling from a basket to the mysterious yet captivating tune of a flute.

Sun Vicram, the newly elected sheriff of Del Sol, NM, returns to her hometown with her daughter Auri. Notwithstanding the fact that she was elected without her knowledge, she plunges right in to the very curious town of Del Sol, a sle
    Nona
    Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    .....it is never a bad day for a Darynda Jones book. Never ever no way no how uh uh.
    Kooky, quirky, bad ass and stylish are just a few of the colors that paint the dialogue in any book DJ writes.
    The layers of kindness and cool are woven tightly to the take-no-bullshit underwear that the heroes never seem to change out of.....
    The pace is fast trot to all out sprint; the action is tight; the sexiness is caliente.
    A Bad Day for Sunshine is a smart read. Why? Because the words
    Catherine Jenkins
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Rachel
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Many thanks to Netgalley and Darynda Jones for this ARC copy of A Bad Day for Sunshine. I finished two days ago and
    ***I am completely obsessed with this book.***

A Bad Day for Sunshine is Darynda Jones' brand new series. A bit of fun about this book is it was dual povs...Sunshine, the brand new sheriff who was elected without even running and her daughter Auri. Auri was navigating all the troubles that go with being the new kid in school but multiplied by 100 because the student thin
    Danielle Hilliard
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I really struggled with the first 1/3 of this book. It was really hard to keep track of all the people and Sunshine's character was initially so much like Charley I felt a little cheated. But...the last 2/3 of this book were much better. Sunshine's character kind of settled down and became her own person. We had a few different mysteries going on but there's a really obvious thing which Sunshine doesn't see which drives me crazy (no spoilers).

I really liked having the difference perspectives wi
    Julie Trinh
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A big thank you to St. Martin Press for the ARC in exchange of an honest review.

Ladies and gentlemen, the one and only Darynda Jones did it again! After her last series, I thought to myself "how can I live in a world without Charley and co?"... Well, I can by reading A BAD DAY FOR SUNSHINE!

The plot is interesting, the pace of the book is awesome, since it kinda reminds me of how the world is slowing down while you're pumped up on caffeine, and the characters are all so easy to fall in love with!
    Not only are the m
    « previous 1 3 next »
    NYTimes and USA Today Bestselling Author Darynda Jones has won numerous awards for her work, including a prestigious RITA, a Golden Heart, and a Daphne du Maurier. As a born storyteller, she grew up spinning tales of dashing damsels and heroes in distress for any unfortunate soul who happened by, annoying man and beast alike. She currently has two series with St. Martin's Press, the Charley Davids ...more