Start by marking “Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)” as Want to Read:
Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)

Into the Fire

(Orphan X #5)

The New York Times bestselling Orphan X returns—facing his own uncertain future and undertaking one last mission.

Taken from a group home at age twelve, Evan Smoak was trained as an off-the-books government assassin: Orphan X. After breaking with the Program, he reinvented himself as The Nowhere Man, a figure shrouded in shadows who helps the truly desperate. But the
Expected publication: January 28th 2020 by Minotaur Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• Into the Fire by Gregg Hurwitz
    Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
    Release date: Jan 28, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 10 Advance Reader Copies of INTO THE FIRE by Gregg Hurwitz. The New York Times bestselling Orphan X returns - just when ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 38 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 09 - Dec 16, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Into the Fire, please sign up.
    Ginny I was a fan of all of Gregg Hurwitz's books before he came out with the Ophan X books. I've read them all and am looking forward to Into the Fire.

Start your review of Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
    Barbara
    Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

In this 5th book in the 'Orphan X' series, the death of a forensic accountant enmeshes Evan Smoak in a fight against formidable opponents. The book provides enough background information to be read as a standalone.

*****

When Evan Smoak was a spindly twelve-year-old living in an orphanage - where he slept on the floor between bunks - he was 'rescued' and placed in a black ops program that trained orphans to be highly skilled assassins. Evan was dubbed Orphan X.

After doing his assassin job for
    Theresa Alan
    Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Evan Smoak, also known as Orphan X, also known as the Nowhere Man, is a killing machine. He knows all kinds of hand-to-hand combat fighting techniques and every weapon ever made. But he only kills bad people, and I find him to actually be an inspirational character, strangely.

Hurwitz is great at getting his readers to sympathize with his characters immediately. They are good people with some serious life-or-death problem that Evan Smoak as the Nowhere Man can help out with. In this fifth, and I
    Dave
    Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    If you are looking for an exciting thriller that will keep you up all night with non-stop action, Into the Fire, the fifth Orphan X novel, is just your ticket. Hurwitz fills each page with excitement. If you are new to the series, Evan Smoak (Orphan X), is an ex- black-ops government asset, pulled from the orphanage at a young age and trained to be invincible.

On his own now after a departure, he is the Nowhere Man who answers calls from people who need help. And, then asks them to pass on the
    Rose
    Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for my advance copy of “Into the Fire” by Gregg Hurwitz – for my honest review

This is the 5th book in the Orphan X Series. I have read all of the previous books in this series, and am a fan.

For those who have not read one yet, They really do no require reading in order as they are a good stand alone read as well.

“Into the Fire” – WOW, what a roller coaster – fast paste and exciting. I am giving this book all 5 starts. It was a fun read from start to
    Marialyce
    Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Oh my god, I so love this series! Imagine my excitement when I was able to get an advanced copy of book V in the Orphan X series? I jumped at the chance and much to my amazement was once again mesmerized by the exploits of Evan, who manages such death defying actions, that he is able to save the day each and every time. Who needs Superman when you've got Evan? Seriously, there's not a better bad guy with a wonderful heart than this character. He generates lots of enjoyment and just plain fun!

Our
    Lisa Gardner
    Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Orphan X is one of my favorite characters! Great addition to the series.
    Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
    Freaking awesome book!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    I have to say I absolutely love this book. Not only because it is one of my favorite genres, but Into the Fire is a completely unique type of story that you don’t often find.

Sometimes when you read black ops espionage type stories they are so packed with action that you can barely breathe. Your heart starts pounding and you are wound up throughout the entire book. The story is so intense you have to read it as fast as possible in case you miss something.

This
    OutlawPoet
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    To start: if you haven’t read any of the Orphan X series before, what are you waiting for? It’s a simply terrific series. Now, while I recommend you start from book one – just because it’s that good – I do think each book works well as a standalone and Into the Fire is no exception.

Of course, most of our favorite characters are back – but in this book Evan faces a dangerous new threat and he’s going to have to use everything he has in order to simply stay alive!

The book is action packed, but is
    Donna Hines
    Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    First I must note here it's a true honor to be the first to write a review for an author I admire immensely in this 5th edition of Orphan X series.
    This couldn't have happened without Macmillan Publishers and the RIC program so thank you all for giving me this ARC copy.
    I was engulfed in the action from the very first page and it never let up with fast pacing, hearty characters we've come to love, and a mission that was without fail.
    It all begins and ends with Evan a foster child taken away from
    Cindy Burnett
    Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Hurwitz’s new entry into the Evan Smoak series is fast-paced, clever, and highly entertaining. Now that his enemies are vanquished and he is no longer being hunted by anyone, Smoak is ready to leave the job of the Nowhere Man behind him. As he struggles with what to do next, Smoak receives one last Nowhere Man request that appears to be an open-and-shut case so he reluctantly takes the job. What seems like an easy job blossoms into the most dangerous and challenging mission of his life. Hurwitz ...more
    Eric
    Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Into The Fire by Gregg Hurwitz is the fifth novel featuring Evan Smoak, the Orphan X character, along with the usual supporting characters previously introduced. Hurwitz's Orphan X novels and short stories are very well assembled and are certainly among the top tier of this type of thriller genre, with Into the Fire continuing that consistency.

Readers may wonder how Hurwitz could follow with a compelling tale after the explosive ending in the previous Orphan X novel, Out of the Dark, and somehow
    Dianne
    Holding out for an unsung hero for the masses, an anonymous gladiator? The last hope when everything is hopeless and legalities be damned? He’s back! Evan Smoak, a former black ops killing machine known as Orphan X, a product of government training and brainwashing, somehow he was sooo good, he managed to retain his humanity and has become the last resort of all last resorts, the anti-hero who is seemingly unstoppable, and he is only a phone call away…The Nowhere Man.

Max Merriweather made that
    Janet Newport
    Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Oh Happy Day! Put my life on hold, please! Thank you NetGalley and St Martin's Press for this arc!

I've read the previous 4 books of the Orphan X series and enjoyed them all, Into the Fire is the best one yet.
    They are all premised on a totally implausible former government assassin doing "good deeds" anonymously as some sort of James Bond-ish reincarnation "paying-it-forward" in atonement for his past. Pure escapist reading.

In Into the Fire (an apt title), Evan has a real onion of a case on his
    Judy Lesley
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I look forward to these Orphan X novels and have enjoyed each one. Book five finds Evan Smoak contemplating giving up his actions as The Nowhere Man. Since the Orphan program has been completely disassembled with the deaths of so many connected to the operation, Evan has been filling his time accepting problems from people who find themselves in troubles not of their own making. In this story Grant Merriweather has left an envelope with his cousin Max saying: "If anything ever happens to me, ...more
    Karen Kay
    I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

Go get 'em X, the world is safer knowing you got our backs.

Great continuation of the series.

Jacqui
    Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    In Hurwitz's latest in the Nowhere Man series, Into the Fire (Macmillon 2020), Max Merriweather engages Evan Smoak, aka the Nowhere Man, aka Orphan X, when Max's cousin is brutally murdered after giving Max an envelope to turn over to the press should said cousin be killed. Max resolves to fulfill his promise but the reporter has also been murdered. He tries to figure out what to do next but has no idea where to even start. To say he is desperate is like saying the Mona Lisa is a nice painting. ...more
    Lou Jacobs
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    OK... I admit it!!! Reading Hurwitz' Fifth novel of Orphan "X" is a guilty pleasure. It's like eating eating a whole box of Godiva chocolates without coming up for air. And, like chocolates, you can never get enough. This continues the saga of the delightfully, dangerous vigilante ... not a superhero, a kind-of Batman.... a highly skilled assassin who just wants to help people.
    Evan Smoak, Orphan X, was a 12 year-old boy rescued out of the projects of East Baltimore.... only then to undergo a 7
    Joan
    Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Review of Uncorrected Digital Galley

Barely tolerated by his father, ostracized by most of his family, Max Merriweather is hardly holding on, scarcely eking out a living. When his uber-successful cousin asks him to keep something “just in case,” Max agrees but thinks no more about it until Grant is brutally murdered and Max returns home to find a knife-wielding intruder methodically searching/trashing his tiny apartment.

But Max’s problems are only beginning. Before sneaking out of his
    Loy
    Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: net-galley
    This is the fifth book in the Orphan X series. I have read the other books and this one follows along with Ethan Smoak, who was part of a black ops’ government program. Ethan is the Nowhere Man; he helps people who have nowhere to turn. His latest client is Max Merriweather whose cousin was murdered after giving Max an envelope. Ethan goes about neutralizing the threat but after each time something else comes after them. Each threat is worse than the next. To top it off Ethan is fighting with a ...more
    Linda
    Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Dang, I love this series!

“Do you need my help?”

That’s how Evan Smoak, ex secret black op assassin, begins his conversation with every person who calls him on his special Nowhere Man phone. After being groomed from childhood to be the perfect off-the-books assassin for the US government, Evan has been spending his early “retirement” hiding his identity but paying penance for his sins by helping people in danger. This time, it’s down-on-his luck Max Merriweather, whose successful cousin
    Timothy
    Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Long live Evan Smoak! After Orphan X's last adventure it left one wondering where author Gregg Hurwitz had left to go. But, it just goes to show that Hurwitz is much more clever than I.
    Orphan X #5 is REALLY good. But, could this actually be the last mission for X? He seems to be moving that way and as his fans we sincerely hope not.
    In Into the Fire, X is considering hanging it up after one more Nowhere Man mission and much internal dialogue to the point on what it would be like to be "normal".
    Maranda
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Xcellent, Xordinary. Best series ever. Wish Orphan X would come to the big screen but it could not be as great as Hurwitz Prose. READ BOOKS in order they are not stand-alone. Unbelievable hero who is not without his uniqueness for getting his hands dirty to HELP. "A copy of this book was provided by St. Martin's Press via Netgalley with no requirements for a review. Comments here are my honest opinion."
    Sue
    Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wow! Into the Fire is amazing! You can read this as a stand alone but I highly recommend reading the others first. This book is complex, it has depth. It will suck you in and won’t let go. I could not turn the pages fast enough to find out what was going to happen next. I loved this book.
    Bent Hansen
    Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    Gregg Hurwitz has found the right formula for his series about Evan Smoak aka Orphan X - government assassin turned avenger of the ordinary man against bullies in all shapes and sizes. In this fifth volume in the series, Hurwitz is at his best, balancing our hero's inner struggle about his future with the obligation to his latest "project" that turns out to be much bigger than he first expected.
    Smoak's interaction with the other cast members of the series works better in this book than in any of
    Jen
    Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    The latest in the Orphan X series! I've reviewed previous entries here. I've thoroughly enjoyed The Nowhere Man who gives his help to those who need it.

Poor Evan, his training did little to help him adjust to an ordinary life, but it has given him the skills to help others against overwhelming odds. When he accepts the call to the Nowhere Man from Max Merriweather, he intends for it to be his last mission.

But...each time he thinks he has completed his assignment, he discovers there is another
    Debbi
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I love Gregg Hurwitz's Orphan X novels, and Into the Fire is another great one!

It's Evan Smoak's last assignment as the Nowhere Man; he wants to help one more person, and then he's decided it's time to join the real world and have a normal life. He gets a phone call from loser Max Merriweather. Max has no job, lives in a real dump, and lost his wife years before after a miscarriage. Even Max thinks he's a loser, and that everything he touches turns to dirt. When Max's very successful cousin
    Marika Charalambous
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    When St. Martin's Press approached me with a book review request, I jumped at the opportunity. I love Evan Smoak, and I can't get enough of these books.

So we meet Evan again in a new case when his phone rings. But this time, he believes this will be his last case. He wants to stop being The Nowhere Man, and start living his own life for a change. Maybe with Mia if she will ever forgive him?

This book was like an onion that just kept on peeling and peeling. Whenever you thought things ended, there
    Mike
    Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Our ex-assassin Evan is close to the end of his 2nd career - making restitution to the universe by offering his formidable services to those in need. One last mission, and the balances should be even. This time, he's contacted by Max, whose accountant cousin Grant has been murdered. Before his demise, Grant had left Max a thumb drive that needed to be shared with a journalist if something happened to him. Now the journalist is missing and someone's been in his apartment.

Evan starts digging, with
    Casey Wheeler
    This is the fifth book in the Orphan X series and the author is maintaining the pacing of the first four books. As with many of these types of books, the storyline goes beyond what a typical human is able to accomplish, but the author's writing style holds the reader's interest which causes one to overlook this fact (hard to do in several other books of this genre). While enough background is revealed for this to be a stand alone novel, I recommend that any readers start with the first in the ...more
    Tracy
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Well...damn....and then WHAT!?!
    « previous 1 3 4 next »

• No Mercy (Ellery Hathaway, #2)
    • A Small Town
    • The Look-Alike
    • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
    • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
    • I Will Make You Pay
    • Big Lies in a Small Town
    • The Other People
    • All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway #3)
    • An American Spy (Milo Weaver #3)
    • Alone in the Wild (Rockton, #5)
    • The Tourist (Milo Weaver #1)
    • The Better Liar
    • The Nearest Exit (Milo Weaver #2)
    • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
    • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
    • Been There, Married That
    • Too Close to Home
    AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 20 novels, including OUT OF THE DARK (2019). His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine,

Orphan X (5 books)
    • Orphan X (Orphan X, #1)
    • The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)
    • Hellbent (Orphan X, #3)
    • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)