Start by marking “The Look-Alike” as Want to Read:
The Look-Alike

The Look-Alike

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Other Girl and Justice for Sara comes a thrilling psychological drama about a woman who believes she escaped a brutal murder years ago—but does anyone else believe her?

Sienna Scott grew up in the dark shadow of her mother’s paranoid delusions. Now, she's returned home to confront her past and the unsolved murder that
Expected publication: January 28th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Look-Alike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Look-Alike

Start your review of The Look-Alike
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another interesting, fast-pacing thriller is centered on mother-daughter dysfunctional relationship and mental illness.

Thrilling elements, intriguing, attention taker clues was like breadcrumbs spread around the pages push you harder follow and find them to solve the case.

The author was completely genius of misleading. She definitely killed my spider senses and till the end I couldn’t get whodunit and she came behind sucker punched me at the end. Great job because as a born in the April Fool’
Miranda Reads
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

"What time is it there?"
"Same time as it is in Tranquility Bluffs...I've come home."
Sienna Scott spent the last ten years in England, escaping from a brutal murder and her paranoid mother.

Ever since Sienna was born, her mother has had paranoid delusions regarding her daughter's safety.
"You can't protect yourself from what you don't see. I see them, you don't. Your dad couldn't either, no matter how hard he tried."
Ten years ago, Sienna was walking home from her college study group in the
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I freaking loved this book!

Sienna has been living with her grandmother for ten years in London. When Sienna was a teenager she found a girl dead in the snow, when she was walking back to her dorm room. The girl was one of her classmates. Sienna thought she might of been the killers target that night since her classmate was wearing a white coat that was identical to hers. So that is why she moved to her grandmother's house.

She then decides to move back home because her mother has been having
Meredith
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh.

The Look-Alike is a psychological thriller about a woman who stumbles across a murder victim. She comes to believe she was the intended victim, leading her to question her sanity.

There are two look-alikes in this book: There is the murdered girl who was wearing the same coat as Sienna. And then there is Sienna’ mother to whom bears an uncanny resemblance. Because she was wearing the same coat as the murder victim, Sienna must have been the target. And since she looks like her
Dita
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't read any Erica Spindler thrillers in a few years but have always loved them. She deftly lobs red herrings and masterfully misdirects while delivering excellent characters.

This book does a great job of sensitively illustrating the impact of mental illness on entire families but manages to weave it into the mystery and it doesn't drag down the story.

It moves quickly, has many likable and unlikable characters, and resolves surprisingly and satisfactorily.

I really enjoyed it.

Felicia
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in one sitting. Or perhaps laying is the more accurate term. Or is it lying?

Anyways, that's unheard of for me.

You're probably saying to yourself ... "Self (that's you), she (that's me) must have reallyyyy loved this book."

And you'd be right, however, there's absolutely no reason for me to have enjoyed this book.

1. It's written in third person. Yuck.
2. I hated the characters.
3. Zero character development.
4. It's repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere. Like, ever.
Paula Kalin
The Look-Alike is a psychological thriller about a mother and daughter relationship. Sienna Scott comes back from England after living with her grandmother for the past 10 years. She was sent away after finding a murder victim at her college years ago. Meanwhile, her mother has been diagnosed with a paranoid disorder that has left her unable to cope with the world.

Sienna starts feeling paranoid herself when strange things start happening to her upon her return. Was she the target that was
Katie B
A book doesn't always have to be filled with twists and turns for it to be a good read. I enjoyed this one because I had so many theories floating around in my head as to who killed the young woman but I never knew for sure what happened until the author revealed everything at the end. It was definitely a page turner. If I hadn't had some real life stuff going on, this is the type of book I would normally have finished all in one day because I was so into it.

Ten years ago when Sienna Scott was
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book has interesting ideas. The mental health on paranoid delusional is a new read for me. Going through life with constant worry that someone is out to get you is tough. At times I’m annoyed that it’s the focus of this book instead of the killer potentially killing the wrong girl and so it takes away the thrill. On the other hand, I do like how this delusional affect Sienna’s thinking. Anytime she thinks something is not right, she afraid to voice out because she doesn’t want people to ...more
Fran
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Minutes past midnight. A blinding snowstorm. Sienna Scott leaves the college library after study group and follows her usual shortcut, an isolated cut-through, to return to her dorm. Losing her balance, falling near a dead girl in a white parka...blood everywhere in stark contrast to the white snow. "...odd, that Madison Robie and I were wearing the same coat...Our jackets. They were almost identical...Maybe it was supposed to be Sienna that was supposed to die?"

Vivienne Scott, Sienna's mother
LostKnight
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dear Readers,
If ten stars were possible, this book would get a ten-star rating.
It is very well written. The characters have a considerable amount of depth and believability.
The plot was filled with plenty of surprising twists and turns. This one flowed smoothly and flawlessly. It wrapped up nicely. I could tell the author did not rush to wrap it up.
I deeply appreciate this author. She gives a voice to the mentally ill. Credibility. Viability.
I refuse to give any spoilers about this one. One
Erin Clemence
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Publication date: January 28, 2020.

Sienna Scott has forever lived under the shadow of her mother’s mental illness; not only of the illness symptoms themselves but of the constant fear that she may one day suffer the same fate. After witnessing a murder, Sienna is sent away to live with a grandmother in London, to try and escape her past. After ten years living away
megs_bookrack
ARC received!

This sounds like the perfect winter thriller. Thank you so much, St. Martin's Press, for my copy.

Debra
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
2.5/2.75 stars

On a dark winter's night, Sienna Scott comes across a young woman who was just murdered. She soon begins to believe that she was the intended victim as that was the path, she always took home after her study group. Plus, the dead woman was wearing a coat that looked just like hers. Sienna's mother who suffers from Mental Illness, also believes her daughter was the intended target.

After spending ten years living away from home, Sienna has returned to learn that the murder
Rose
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
A thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an advanced copy of The Look-Alike by author Erica Spindler, for my honest review

I must say that this was a tough read for me, a book that just was not for me

I had found it interesting at the beginning, but as the story moved along I just struggled getting through it and became quickly bored

I found that I cold not get into the characters, or storyline either. I just wanted to finish and get on to reading other books that I would enjoy more
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
I received a free ARC of The Look-Alike by Erica Spindler from Macmillan in an exchange for an honest review.

Mental illness and an unsolved murder are at the heart of Erica Spindler’s new novel, The Look-Alike. Ten years ago, as college student Sienna Scott is taking her usual shortcut back to her dorm, she almost trips over a body lying face down in the snow. The body is of a young female student. Though the police tirelessly look for the killer, the case remains unsolved and continues to haunt
lovebooks
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Look Alike kept me guessing till the end. Sierra comes home after 10 years that changed her life forever. Her mother has a mental illness and she’s just waiting to inherit it. Years before Sierra stumbles upon a dead woman who was wearing the same jacket she was and can’t help but think the killer mistook her instead of Sierra. Her mother’s fears and delusions only make things worse. Was the killer really after Sierra? Could her family be behind this?
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
The Look-Alike is a suspense/thriller with some romance. The story takes place in Tranquility Bluffs, Wisconsin.

This is my second book by this author (I previously read and enjoyed The Other Girl).

The narrator is 29 year old Sienna Scott (3rd person POV). The story goes back and forth between a crime that happened 10 years ago and the present (although the story is mostly told in the present).

The beginning was interesting. Sienna comes back home after spending 10 years in London. She left after
Jamie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun quick read! A bit predictable but enjoyable. It kept me guessing and I had the wrong person several times. The main character was a little annoying sometimes but like able enough.
Thanks to St. Martin’s Press for my advanced copy!
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This book starts off great - Sienna, on her way back from class trips over a body of a classmate, Madison, stabbed to death. The story goes on trying to figure out who the killer is (I had no idea through the whole book and was surprised at the end when the killer was revealed.)

Sienna was sent away by her father because between her mother who suffers with mental illness and the murder, he feels she would be better off. Sienna's biggest fear is becoming like her mother.

But alas, she returns home
Dsbook
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a stand alone mystery. I love when authors write books in a series but sometimes you just want to sit down and read a good stand alone and not have to worry about sequels. This book really shows how mental illness can disrupt the lives of a whole family and how this family deals with the fallout. A very good mystery with lots of twists and turns and lots of suspects to choose from
Kristi
First Sentence:

Sienna Scott nearly tripped over the body

Set in Tranquility Bluffs, Wisconsin, college student Sienna Scott stumbles across a murdered girl on campus while walking home late from a study group. The initial investigation never produces the murderer. Strangely enough, Sienna was wearing the same coat on the same night as the girl who was murdered on campus, ten years prior. Coincidence? This is the start of a downward spiral which ultimately leads to Sienna finishing her studies in
Kira
Sienna stumbles across a murder victim as a teenager. The murder remains unsolved, and she has trouble coping with it, believing she may have been the intended victim since they wore the same coat. She moves to London to live with a relative and stays for years. Once she finally moves back home, she discovers that the murder has been reopened.

I did not like this book for several reasons. One of them being the extreme predictability of the plot. I figured out who the killer was early on. I kept
Sherri Thacker
I enjoyed this thriller. My first book by this author. I thought i had it all figured out but no, It kept me guessing till the end. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this book. All opinions are my own.
Rebecca
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wrong place at the wrong time? Or very, very lucky? Is she crazy?
Or is someone trying to make her think she is?

The Look Alike is one of the best thrillers I’ve read this year, it grabbed my attention from the beginning and held it to the very end. The storyline is easily followed, with well developed characters , and there are plenty of possible suspects with just as many motives.
I really enjoyed all of the family dynamics in this book, how no matter what was happening they were trying to take
Diane Perry
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. A great psychological thriller. Sienna ha a a mother that suffers from delusional disorder. Her father sends Sienna to London to live to protect her from the mental illness. Before she leaves, she discovers a dead body and noticed a disturbing thing.The girl is dressed like her. Thrilling and fun to read.
Deb Diem
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yikes! I haven't read an Erica Spindler book for a while and forgot how they keep you on the edge of your seat. The Look-Alike is no exception, this old woman had to learn edge of the seat balance again. Ms. Spindler has created a book that is well-written and populated with a phenomenal cast of characters. Sienna was in college when she came across a murdered woman. After ten years in London with her grandmother, she returns home, just as the case is opened again. Sienna is inundated with ...more
Kimberly Kowalski
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.

Early on I figured it was 1 of 3 suspects, and by the half way point I figured which of the 3 was the real culprit. Watching the backstory playout and figuring out why was still entertaining. My main issues with this novel were with the protagonist herself, she made quite a few highly stupid and immature decisions. She repeatedly put herself in reckless and dangerous situations. Also the insta-love factor was a bit cringeworthy. After less than an hour of interactions with one person
Mona
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
IreceivedacomplimentarycopyviaTheReviewCrew. Ichosethisbookbecauseofitsenticingblurbandtheauthor.

Tenyearsago,inthesmalltownofTranquilBluffs,Wisconsin,SiennaScottwasresponsibleforthemurderofayoungwoman.Indirectly.Justbecauseshelookedlikethevictim.Tothisday,themurderremainsunsolved.Toescapenotoriety,Siennarunsaway...faraway,toLondon.

But,nowshe'sback.Tocareforhermentallyillmotherandtore-unitewiththefamilysheabandoned.Uponherreturn,thepastcomesrushingback.Long-buriedmemoriesofthemurderre-surface.
Tamara
Review to come.

Quick thoughts:

I had MANY theories about this book and was happy to find out that 2 of my theories was spot on.

This was my first book by Erica Spindler- but won't be my last.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The New Husband
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • The Other People
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway #3)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • The Last Wife
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Unfollow Me
  • Mr. Nobody
  • The God Game
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
A New York Times and International bestselling author, Erica Spindler's skill for crafting engrossing plots and compelling characters has earned both critical praise and legions of fans. Her stories have been lauded as “thrill-packed page turners, white- knuckle rides and edge-of-your-seat whodunits.”

Erica loves meeting and interacting with her fans, both in person and online. She has a wicked