Start by marking “The Look-Alike” as Want to Read:
The Look-Alike

The Look-Alike

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Other Girl and Justice for Sara comes a thrilling psychological drama about a woman who believes she escaped a brutal murder years ago—but does anyone else believe her?

Sienna Scott grew up in the dark shadow of her mother’s paranoid delusions. Now, she's returned home to confront her past and the unsolved murder that altere
Published January 28th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Look-Alike, please sign up.
Joseph I guess it is a new book - published January of 2020
Joseph I thought so. I finished it tonight (this morning now). I'll write a review tomorrow.

Marilyn, I've been watching the Agatha Christie "Poirot" series s…more

Marilyn, I've been watching the Agatha Christie "Poirot" series so I honed in on the killer reasonably quickly as the most likely murderer (of the four I thought might have done it)(less)

Start your review of The Look-Alike
Miranda Reads
description
Another Booktube video - this time all about the Top 10 Books of 2020 (so far) .

Now that you know this fabulous book made the list, check out the video to see the rest!
description

"What time is it there?"
"Same time as it is in Tranquility Bluffs...I've come home."
Sienna Scott spent the last ten years in England, escaping from a brutal murder and her paranoid mother.

Ever since Sienna was born, her mother has had paranoid delusions regarding her daughter's safety.
"You can't protect y
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another interesting, fast-pacing thriller is centered on mother-daughter dysfunctional relationship and mental illness.

Thrilling elements, intriguing, attention taker clues was like breadcrumbs spread around the pages push you harder follow and find them to solve the case.

The author was completely genius of misleading. She definitely killed my spider senses and till the end I couldn’t get whodunit and she came behind sucker punched me at the end. Great job because as a born in the April Fool’
Mary Beth
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I freaking loved this book!

Sienna has been living with her grandmother for ten years in London. When Sienna was a teenager she found a girl dead in the snow, when she was walking back to her dorm room. The girl was one of her classmates. Sienna thought she might of been the killers target that night since her classmate was wearing a white coat that was identical to hers. So that is why she moved to her grandmother's house.

She then decides to move back home because her mother has been having par
Dita
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I haven't read any Erica Spindler thrillers in a few years but have always loved them. She deftly lobs red herrings and masterfully misdirects while delivering excellent characters.

This book does a great job of sensitively illustrating the impact of mental illness on entire families but manages to weave it into the mystery and it doesn't drag down the story.

It moves quickly, has many likable and unlikable characters, and resolves surprisingly and satisfactorily.

I really enjoyed it.

Meredith
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh.

The Look-Alike is a psychological thriller about a woman who stumbles across a murder victim. She comes to believe she was the intended victim, leading her to question her sanity.

There are two look-alikes in this book: There is the murdered girl who was wearing the same coat as Sienna. And then there is Sienna’ mother to whom bears an uncanny resemblance. Because she was wearing the same coat as the murder victim, Sienna must have been the target. And since she looks like her mother
Felicia
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book in one sitting. Or perhaps laying is the more accurate term. Or is it lying?

Anyways, that's unheard of for me.

You're probably saying to yourself ... "Self (that's you), she (that's me) must have reallyyyy loved this book."

And you'd be right, however, there's absolutely no reason for me to have enjoyed this book.

1. It's written in third person. Yuck.
2. I hated the characters.
3. Zero character development.
4. It's repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere. Like, ever.
5. Insta-
Debra
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
2.5/2.75 stars

On a dark winter's night, Sienna Scott comes across a young woman who was just murdered. She soon begins to believe that she was the intended victim as that was the path, she always took home after her study group. Plus, the dead woman was wearing a coat that looked just like hers. Sienna's mother who suffers from Mental Illness, also believes her daughter was the intended target.

After spending ten years living away from home, Sienna has returned to learn that the murder investigat
megs_bookrack
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read
**2.5-stars**

Ten years ago, Sienna Scott, stumbled across the body of a murdered girl just outside of her college library.

It turned out, the dead girl was a classmate, someone she saw at the library every week.

Understandably traumatized by this, Sienna has a hard time forgetting the incident.

In fact, she has analyzed it so much, she begins to think she was the actual target that night, not the poor dead girl.

This coupled with some family issues, leads to Sienna getting shipped off to live with
Michelle
It was only at the 10% mark before I thought to myself "This book sucks."

It has been awhile since I've read dialogue this cheesy and repetitive. There is no way that I can endure this for another 300 pages. I'm out!

No rating and will not be included in my reading challenge.
Paula
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Paula by: Publisher
The Look-Alike is a psychological thriller about a mother and daughter relationship. Sienna Scott comes back from England after living with her grandmother for the past 10 years. She was sent away after finding a murder victim at her college years ago. Meanwhile, her mother has been diagnosed with a paranoid disorder that has left her unable to cope with the world.

Sienna starts feeling paranoid herself when strange things start happening to her upon her return. Was she the target that was suppos
Kaceey
3.5*
After spending years abroad, Sienna Scott is returning home. The time is right - time to settle down. Maybe even realize her dream of opening her own restaurant in the town she grew up in.
Her older brother whom she adores, still lives there. As does her mother, who’s been battling mental illness for all of Sienna’s life. Maybe she can take over her mother’s care and give her exhausted brother a much needed respite.

Perhaps nothing more than mere coincidence, upon Siennas’ return, a murder in
marilyn
Chef, Sienna Scott, has grown up under the cloud of her mother's paranoid delusions and has spent her thirty years fearing that she also suffers from the same mental disorder as her mother. As an eighteen year old college student, she trips over the body of another girl, who is wearing a coat just like hers. As a murder investigation begins, Sienna fears that she was the intended stabbing victim and those fears, added to her mom's insistence that she was the intended victim, leads to her father ...more
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Here I go again, wondering again if I have become a picky thriller reader because another thriller didn't work out for the way I thought it would.

The Look-Alike was an easy, fast-paced, suspenseful read for me, and I do feel it is worth the time I put into it. It's easy to skim parts of it because it gets a bit repetitive, and you don't miss much by skimming.

The story revolves around Sienna Scott confronting her past with an unsolved murder and her mother's mental illness. The whole thing arou
Katie B
A book doesn't always have to be filled with twists and turns for it to be a good read. I enjoyed this one because I had so many theories floating around in my head as to who killed the young woman but I never knew for sure what happened until the author revealed everything at the end. It was definitely a page turner. If I hadn't had some real life stuff going on, this is the type of book I would normally have finished all in one day because I was so into it.

Ten years ago when Sienna Scott was i
Fran
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Minutes past midnight. A blinding snowstorm. Sienna Scott leaves the college library after study group and follows her usual shortcut, an isolated cut-through, to return to her dorm. Losing her balance, falling near a dead girl in a white parka...blood everywhere in stark contrast to the white snow. "...odd, that Madison Robie and I were wearing the same coat...Our jackets. They were almost identical...Maybe it was supposed to be Sienna that was supposed to die?"

Vivienne Scott, Sienna's mother s
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book has interesting ideas. The mental health on paranoid delusional is a new read for me. Going through life with constant worry that someone is out to get you is tough. At times I’m annoyed that it’s the focus of this book instead of the killer potentially killing the wrong girl and so it takes away the thrill. On the other hand, I do like how this delusional affect Sienna’s thinking. Anytime she thinks something is not right, she afraid to voice out because she doesn’t want people to thi ...more
Thomas
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars.
I enjoyed reading this psychological thriller. Sienna Scott returns home to fictional Tranquillity Bluffs, Wisconsin. She has been living in London, England, for 10 years. Her father sent her there after she was traumatized by the discovery of a murdered college classmate. Sienna is haunted by the possibility that she was the intended victim. Her father is dead and her mother suffers from persecution delusions.
While dealing with the unsolved murder and her mother
Carole
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
The Look-Alike by Erica Spindler takes place in the present and also twenty years in the past. Sienna Scott was first at the scene of the brutal murder of a female college student twenty years ago. She moved back in with her father and her mentally ill mother who suffered from paranoid delusions. Fearing that the murder might affect Sienna’s mental health, her father sends her to live with her grandmother in London, where she stays for twenty years. Upon her return, she begins to look into the u ...more
Madison Warner Fairbanks
The Look Alike by Erica Spindler

A who-dun-it thriller.
Trying to guess who the killer was, was like bouncing around on a playground. Sure I had guesses but they kept changing as the book progressed.
This book has a focus on mental illness and it’s impact on family.

Overall a quick read, not to intense, but I didn’t want to read it home alone at night! What’s that noise? They say it’s a mental illness but could there really be someone there?
The heroine make some stupid decisions that made me care
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Her mother released her and held her at arm’s length, studying her. It was like looking in a mirror, Sienna thought. One that bent time — herself thirty years from now.

She found each step akin to another crank of a jack-in-the-box, and with each a growing anxiety for what was going to jump out at her.

For a long moment, her mother was quiet. When she finally spoke, the words broke Sienna’s heart. “You can’t live in fear. And I can’t seem to live without it.”

My Review:

This was my f
preoccupiedbybooks
An intense psychological thriller about an unsolved murder, mental illness and a mother/daughter whose dysfunctional relationship is affected by it all.

(⭐️⭐️1/2 stars)

Sienna, a chef, was sent away to live with her grandmother in London 10 years ago after a stumbling across a brutal murder. After growing up with a mother suffering from paranoid delusions that someone was after them, Sienna was plagued with thoughts that she was the intended victim. Now back in town, to reconnect with her mother a
Linda
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
But then looks can be disceiving, can't they?

The Look-Alike hones in on a mother/daughter relationship that has suffered from deep wounds throughout the years. Sienna Scott has a very similar reflection in the mirror to that of her mother, Viv. But that's where the similarity dies on the branch.

Sienna has lived in London for the last ten years as a successful chef. She left her midwestern town of Tranquility Bluffs, Wisconsin at the insistence of her father. You see, while attending college Sie
Susanne  Strong
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
2.5 Stars

A Campy Psychological Thriller

Upon stumbling on a body near the college library, Sienna Scott is terrified. The murdered girl looks just like Sienna and is wearing a coat that looks just like the one SIenna has on. Her murder is never solved. Sienna’s mother (who she is also the spitting image of) is suffering from mental illness and this causes even more problems for Sienna and has for her whole life. Traumatized, Sienna takes off for London.

Ten years later, Sienna returns to her home
Julie (JuJu)
A romantic thriller that goes down the rabbit hole of mental illness...one of my favorite subjects.

It was hard to rate this book and write the review. But I think it’s more about me and my timing, than the book itself. The mental illness element was the big draw for me. Reading about Viv’s paranoid delusions, and how her family members are the focus of her issues, was the highlight of the book.

I was excited to get this ARC and my expectations were very high! It’s been several years since I’ve r
Erin
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for an e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

After spending ten years exiled to London, Sienna Scott has returned to her hometown. With dreams of running her own restaurant, the young chef hopes to reunite with her mother and half brother. However, Sienna finds her beloved mother more than ever consumed by dark delusions and her brother, Brad, a local real estate agent, hostile and secretive. Added to her homecoming is the local police department's re
Erin Clemence
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Publication date: January 28, 2020.

Sienna Scott has forever lived under the shadow of her mother’s mental illness; not only of the illness symptoms themselves but of the constant fear that she may one day suffer the same fate. After witnessing a murder, Sienna is sent away to live with a grandmother in London, to try and escape her past. After ten years living awa
Bridgett
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
A decent little romantic thriller which focuses heavily on mental illness, and how it affects those we love most.

This is my first Erica Spindler novel, and I was mostly satisfied. It was a quite different take on the thriller genre, which I appreciated. I'd say it's a little long-winded, as evidenced by the superfluous details throughout, but I was still absolutely engaged while reading.

Told strictly from Sienna's point of view, she has just arrived back home after a decade overseas in London.
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5/5! & I absolutely recommend the audio. I really, really enjoyed this 1 from start to finish! ...more
Silvanna
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, well paced story, but a kinda predictable and all-too-neat ending.
Darinda
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sienna Scott returns to her hometown after being gone for ten years. She left town soon after she found a dead body while walking across her college campus late at night. Sienna believed she may have been the intended target that night, but nobody gave her worries any thought. The killer was never found, so Sienna's fears were never confirmed nor denied. Coinciding with Sienna's return to town, the case into the murder is being reopened. Sienna fears she may be a target again.

Sienna is an intrig

• A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • The Way Back to You (Blessings, Georgia #9)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The New Husband
  • Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • When We Were Vikings
  • The Better Liar
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River #1)
  • Lady Clementine
  • The Secrets He Kept
  • Vacation
  • Single
  • Christmas Past
  • Foul Is Fair
  • Seven Letters
A New York Times and International bestselling author, Erica Spindler's skill for crafting engrossing plots and compelling characters has earned both critical praise and legions of fans. Her stories have been lauded as “thrill-packed page turners, white- knuckle rides and edge-of-your-seat whodunits.”

Erica loves meeting and interacting with her fans, both in person and online. She has a wicked se

Articles featuring this book

If you're looking for a new thriller that will keep you turning the pages long into the evening, you've come to the right place. To help you add...