Start by marking “Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)

Night Spinner

(Night Spinner #1)

A must-read for fans of Leigh Bardugo’s Grishaverse, transforming The Hunchback of Notre Dame into a powerful tundra-inspired epic.

Before the massacre at Nariin, Enebish was one of the greatest warriors in the Sky King’s Imperial Army: a rare and dangerous Night Spinner, blessed with the ability to control the threads of darkness. Now, she is known as Enebish the Destroyer
Published February 11th 2020 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about Night Spinner, please sign up.
Addie Thorley There is a teeny bit of romance, but nothing even remotely explicit.…moreThere is a teeny bit of romance, but nothing even remotely explicit. (less)
Addie Thorley Yes! There is romance. I don’t think I could write a book without at least a smidgen of love. Though, it definitely takes back seat to the rest of the…moreYes! There is romance. I don’t think I could write a book without at least a smidgen of love. Though, it definitely takes back seat to the rest of the story (less)

Start your review of Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let’s take another fantastic journey to France for a mind blowing, incredible retelling of one of my favorite classics “Hunchback of Notre Dame”!

But this time Quasimodo is a girl, an ex-Kalima Warrior and now a convicted traitor named Enebish but people call her “Enebish the Destroyer”, a mentally and physically disfigured character, sequestered away in monastery to serve for her war crime. She has night spinning magic but when she loses the control of her power, she destroys a whole caravan
megs_bookrack
A retelling of The Hunchback of Notre Dame set against an arctic tundra landscape...

I needed this book and I didn't even know it.

Thank you so much for the ARC, Page Street Publishing. I appreciate it so much!

Ari
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Joanna Bennett
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
eARC provided by publisher through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

I was hesitant to start this one even though I was super excited to be approved for it. The cover and the synopsis were perfect. I was definitely curious to see what a Hunchback of Notre Dame retelling would entail. Luckily, even with a minor hiccup I fell in love with the world, magic, and characters this author created!

Enebish is a character who is very hard on herself for her past mistake. She dwells on what happened and
Sheila Goicea
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher, Page Street Publishing, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Death, Gore, Blood, Starvation, Torture, War

You don’t need a master, Enebish. Be your own hero. You can save yourself--and me--but only if you open your eyes.

Enebish has known a life of duty and battle her entire life.
Madison Mary
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
*ARC provided by Page Street Publishing in exchange for an honest review*

"You don't need a master, Enebish. Be your own hero. You can save yourself - and me - but only if you open your eyes"

A gender-bent retelling of The Hunchback of Notredame riddled with heartbreaking deceit and moral turmoil.

SUMMARY
Enebish is a Night Spinner, a controller of the rarest Kalima magic. But after a horrifying massacre, Enebish is physically disfigured, cut-off from her powers, and sentenced to serve out the
Joanna Meyer
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Official comments:
From the very first page, Enebish’s story grips tight and doesn’t let go. The stunning world, complex characterization, and heart-pounding plot will have you cheering, crying, and screaming with every revelation. Gorgeous, twisty, addicting.
Liv the Jellyfish Queen
I... honestly don't know how to rate this book...

See, this was barely a 2.5-star read up until about 80%.
It wasn't even a bad book, I just didn't care at all. I didn't connect to any characters and I did not really care for the whole worldbuilding. The idea was great; I liked the way the Kalima powers worked (and how they weren't endless, like magic in other books often is), I just did not care about the people.
Enebish is a cool main character, I guess. Once a powerful soldier, now called
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

This book ended up being a lovely, pleasant surprise for me, for two notable reasons. First, I have been having kind of the worst time with fantasy lately, so I was wary when I started. I needn't have been. Second, there are birds. It's kind of a big deal. And yet, it didn't turn me off!

What I Liked:

Who on earth can be trusted? Heh I like when everyone's a mess and you're pretty sure
Joey
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-fantasy
Night Spinner, a retelling of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, is a unique take on a typical YA fantasy plot concept (I find that many retellings do this instead of following the typical plot tropes). There were, however, many inspirations taken from YA fantasy characters and the later plot tropes. Think: Grishaverse. Which isn't necessarily a problem, if you love the Grisha trilogy. I actually really loved this book because I found none of the characters to be completely trustworthy (including the ...more
Mara (marasfoldedpages)
Thank you so much to Manda Group and Page Street Publishing for this arc copy for honest review.

I am crying in despair as I write this review. How dare she end it there?! I NEED MORE! What happens next? How, what, why? ahhhh

END OF BOOK ONE? Are you trying to kill me? Also, why can’t they kiss already???

My feelings were definitely crushed multiple times by this novel. We follow Enebish, the once great warrior as she serves out her punishment for an uncontrolled outburst in her past. The once
April Sarah
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
*ARC received from #Netgalley in return for an honest review*
Video Review: https://youtu.be/87fthk0TW1o

This is a hunchback of Notre Dame inspired story. instead of your traditional Quasimodo, you have a wounded ex warrior who's dealing with a lot of fallout and PST from things that have happened war. It is set in this very rich, lush, landscape, of a completely new world with completely new rules. There's a magic system here that has been very thoroughly set up in some fairly interesting ways.
Toya
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I never knew I needed a gender bent Hunch Back of Notre Dame retelling until Night Spinner.

Following the massacre at Nariin where Enebish lost control of her night spinner abilities resulting in the slaughter of innocent people, Enebish is now an ex-Kalima warrior and convicted traitor. As if the scars that have left her deformed both mentally and physically aren’t enough, she’s now referred to as Enebish the Destroyer and hides away at a monastery where she serves time for her war crimes.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
NIGHT SPINNER is a story of deception and betrayal, friendship and family, with magic and war woven throughout, and a touch of romance. The fantasy world is intriguing and the characters well drawn, while the story will have readers turning pages as quickly as they can. Highly recommended to YA fantasy fans!

I loved how the characters and plot unfolded in this story! Enebish had to grow on me a bit. She was so gullible and from the beginning I knew that things were not as they appeared or as she
Salena
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a rich book full of magic, a culture of gods and mythology. I was definitely interested from the beginning and only took two days to read this. I found it to be pretty well paced and was actually surprised in a couple parts. I totally called one of the plot twists from the beginning so when it happened I wasn't surprised. Only 20 or so pages later though I was completely blind sided by a big twist! I totally didn't see it coming and loved being surprised by what the author did.

Enebish is
Morrighan Rose
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-arcs-2020
“𝙶𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚒𝚜 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎. 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚊 𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢. 𝙰 𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚎𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚢 𝚋𝚎𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚋𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚝𝚎.” —𝙽𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚂𝚙𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛

What a wonderfully magickal story. I fell in love with the world from page one. In a magick touched, war-torn country, our main character, Enebish is a powerful Night Spinner. Her ability to wield tendrils of darkness is highly sought after, even by the Sky King.

Night Spinner is a wonderfully written, haunting tale of a powerful young woman, still trying to find herself
Lindsey
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Night Spinner is a young adult fantasy, revolving around Enebish, a young warrior with the ability to control darkness. Enebish is banished to a far away monastery after one terrible night where she loses control and destroys an entire merchant caravan with her abilities. However, her sister, the Imperial Army commander, calls her out of insolation in order to help root out a rebellion that could topple the empire.

Night Spinner has a lot going on - and if I had to make one critique, I would say
Jenni Walsh
Dec 30, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, novel19s
An excellent fantasy to add to your shelves. Addie Thorley has developed captivating magic, vivid settings, a killer twist, and perfectly broken characters. I especially loved seeing Enebish evolve from a character who thought she was beyond redemption and happiness to a strong and determined warrior, who's about to go after everything she wants in book 2 (vague to avoid spoilers!)
Andria Sedig
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book. I normally don't love retellings but this story didn't feel like a cookie cutter retelling; instead, I was able to pick up on threads of the original story that were woven into the plot structure in interesting ways. I loved the magic system and world building within the story. I loved Enebish's story arc and growth towards self acceptance. I enjoyed the plot twists (some were predictable and some caught me by surprise). This was a thrilling read from start to ...more
Erin Cashman
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
NIGHT SPINNER is an epic fantasy not to be missed! Addie Thorley has created a vibrant and often harsh magical world of waring civilizations, ancient customs and religions, and a strong cast of characters, including a heroine you root for from the very first page - Enebish the Destroyer - smart, loyal, powerful, and conflicted, an irreverent and absolutely charming monk, Serik, and opposing leaders with shifting loyalties and dangerous secrets. En, who must capture the illusive leader of the ...more
Justine
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
See this review and others at Whispers & Wonder

I know how it feels to lose everything. I know how it feels to be terrified and unsure. But I also know how it feels to be remade, to cloak yourself in steel and wash yourself with fire and refuse to be trampled. To stand and say, 'I am not what they make of me, but what I make of me.' Remake yourself, Enebish!

Night Spinner is a haunting, yet hopeful tale of betrayal, abandonment, and finding strength and purpose through suffering endured.
Gayatri Saikia
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LOOK!!! A girl’s gotta be honest, I love retellings and I almost enjoy the contemporary spin every author adds, but I loved this HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME retelling a little bit whole lotta more!! I plunged into the book with zero expectations, without reading the synopsis, nada and my oh my did it come at me with all them glorious feels! An amazing cast, a fierce resilient heroine who is every bit fierce, loyal and devoted to her people and so many shady side characters!! PLUS PLOT TWISTS, ...more
Donna Aquino
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy, arc
Thank you to Page Street Publishing for a copy of the arc and Addie Thorley for this wonderful book, in exchange for an honest review.

These are my initial thoughts after finish the arc last night. I absolutely loved and enjoyed every minute of this book. Addie Thorley's world building is so distinct, intricate and exquisite, I can feel myself walking down the street alongside Enebish. The author beautifully crafted a world full of culture, religion, practices and magical system. It is like a
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
Gender swapped magical retelling of 'The Hunchback' that's all you really need to know to dive into this amazing book.

Our MC is brilliant and the prose is so smoothly laid out that reading this book takes almost no time at all. Thorley drops you into a beautiful world full of conflict, pain, and magic.

'En' is locked up, for the safety of herself but also for the innocent civilians, why? Because once upon a time she was a great Kalima warrior and then one moment change that and she became known
Marta Cox
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
So this is being marketed as a retelling of The Hunchback of Notre Dame because its heroine is damaged, scarred and considered a monster. Indeed she's frequently referred to as the Destroyer and as the story begins she's living (or should that be existing ? ) in the monastery that's she's been banished to by their King. Enebish doesn't really remember losing control of her formidable powers and wiping out innocents but she knows that she deserves her punishment. The only bright spark in her ...more
Olivia
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-reviews
NIGHT SPINNER is a slow-building YA fantasy. Enebish has a rare ability as a night spinner to control the dark and the stars, which had previously made her a valuable warrior in the Sky King's military. However, after an incident where the beast took over and she killed a caravan of merchants, she has been punished as a traitor, bearing horrible marks on her face and living at a monastery, where she is a prisoner, where her somewhat relative/BFF, Serik, is a terrible monk who defends her to ...more
Erin Arkin
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, read-in-2020
Review to come!
Kacey
Dec 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. My opinion was not affected by the free book.

I'm going to try my best to talk about the good and the bad of this book, but quite honestly I did not like it at all. It started off pretty interesting: deformed girl is locked away because she has some terrifying power and everyone sees her as a monster. But it quickly derails into every other YA fantasy out there. I can think of very little
Allisa White
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last year, I completely fell in love with Addie Thorley's An Affair of Poisons, so when I found out that she was coming out with a high fantasy series, I was really excited. It was everything I'd dreamed it to be—and more.

Quick Thoughts
-This is a retelling of The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo, but in a high fantasy setting. I haven't read the book—my only experience with the story is the Disney movie, which I loved—so I can't say exactly how the books are connected.
-Addie's writing is
Samantha Hastings
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for fans of Leigh Bardugo’s Grishaverse novels! I was sucked in immediately and then continually surprised until the epic conclusion (there will be a sequel).

What I loved :
1. Enebish was once a Kalima Warrior, now she has three scars down her face to mark her as a traitor. A night she can’t remember, her night spinning magic went out of control and killed an innocent caravan. She now is a prisoner at a monastery and known as Enebish the Destroyer.
2. Her adopted sister Goa, who she
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Seventh Sun (The Age of the Seventh Sun, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Beyond the Shadowed Earth
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Nameless Queen
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Belle Révolte
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
Addie Thorley spent her childhood playing soccer, riding horses, and scribbling stories. After graduating from the University of Utah with a degree in journalism, she decided “hard news” didn’t contain enough magic and kissing, so she flung herself into the land of fiction and never looked back.

She now lives in Princeton, New Jersey with her husband, daughter, and wolf dog, and when she’s not

Night Spinner (2 books)
  • Untitled (Night Spinner #2)